• Published 26th May 2020
  • 2,527 Views, 345 Comments

Tales from Everfree City - LoyalLiar



Princess Platinum and Celestia's first student face changelings, a magical curse, the specter of war with the griffons, and the threat of arranged marriage in early Equestria.

  • ...
5
 345
 2,527

PreviousChapters Next
14-6

XIV - VI

The Worst Is Still Yet To Come

⚜ ⚜ ⚜

'Softening' (that is, de-petrifying) Star Swirl and Clover proved fairly trivial with Wintershimmer's help. I know I've written before at my inadequacy as an alchemist, but between my rising literacy and Wintershimmer's guidance in my mind, I was able to at least produce a satisfactory depetrifying elixir. I refrained from using it until Silhouette and I had moved the treasures from Wintershimmer's secretest vault up into a set of crates and boxes bound for my home in Everfree, but once that was done, all I had to do was enjoy a more deliberate trip (dare I foalishly say 'enjoyable'?) trip down the slide back into the pit, and then I had Clover and Star Swirl back up to their usual selves quite quickly.

I'll spare you a full accounting of what I found in Wintershimmer's stores; suffice it to say there was a lot; though most of it was of historical value rather than practical magic. Most notably, we found copies of On The Nature of Mana, Pax de Crustulum, Iron Maiden's Vitals of Hemomancy, a complete copy of Inferno's Tartarus, and even, to my utter shock, a copy of Inspiration's Manifestations—one of the more accursed tomes of magic known to the history of unicornkind. (That particular volume is now lost in a quite well-sealed chamber beneath the ruins of Everfree's palace in the accursed woods, so I'm reasonably confident nopony is going to just stumble upon it). The only other item worth noting now was an oil painting of two young stallions flanking an elder unicorn mare, who was sitting on her rump both to get her head down to the foals' level, and so she could wrap a foreleg around each of their respective foreshoulders.

Star Swirl the Bearded, Wintershimmer the Complacent, and Archmage Comet.

It didn't so much surprise me for its existence, as for the facts that all the ponies pictured looked quite happy, and the fact that Wintershimmer had kept the thing. Regardless, it had no meaning to me, and so after scanning it for any concerning enchantments or hidden purpose, it was the only item from the stores which I willingly gave to Star Swirl's care.

Then I gave what was left of Wintershimmer's staff over to Clover's care—prompting yet another argument with Star Swirl about whether it would have been better to just look at the basilisk, since that would mean the staff would still be intact for the trade with the dragons. I think I've made the point of my disagreements with Star Swirl enough by now, though. Clover, once again, took my side in her very gentle and mildly political way, expressing that she was confident Krenn would be wise enough to understand. As we emerged from the depths of the crystal spire, after saying her goodbyes to her old teacher, she gave me a hug, told me she admired my cunning and dedication, as well as my character, and offered to teach me her spell one day when I was ready. And then, presumably after fetching Blizzard and Tempest, she was gone from the Union.

⚜ ⚜ ⚜

We spent three more days in the Union relatively blissfully as I debated whether or not to tell High Castle and Chrysoprase what Wintershimmer had revealed to me. My integrity won out, but for reasons that will become apparent, you'll have to take my word for that.

The last and most important event of that last full day in the Union began when, over breakfast, after some random attendant from the Equestrian delegation observed to me that it was the last day of the gathering, Wintershimmer had one other piece of wisdom for me inside my head; one which only further seemed to soften my perception of the old stallion. "Seek out Star Swirl, Coil; there is one piece of business you still have with him."

"Hmm?" I trusted I could get away with the noise with my mouth full, and sure enough the conversations around me in the big main dining chamber of the Spire disguised my vocalization.

"Do you understand that, even if I had won and taken Celestia's power, even I still couldn't prevent all suffering of innocents?"

This might sound like a strangely philosophical question, especially if your exposure to Wintershimmer is just from this tome and its predecessor, but I found the discourse a welcome return to form; these were exactly the kinds of questions he sometimes put to me over meals in my youth.

I refrained from answering aloud, but thought "Yes," as hard as I could.

"And I hope you understand that even if you surpass me a hundredfold in magical power, the same restriction will apply to you?"

This time, after a swallow of a bite of crystal berries and cream, I offered a small nod and no vocalization at all.

"Then in the interest of doing some genuine right, so long as you understand there won't always be an answer… Star Swirl can likely help the filly you spoke to earlier. The one with stalagtitis."

"He can cure stalagtitis?"

I heard Wintershimmer sigh in my head. "No; only delay it. But rather than merely dulling pain, he—and he alone—has the skill to transform her skull inside her head without killing her, in order to temporarily reduce the size of the shards growing down into her brain. Make no mistake, he will still die of old age soon just as I did, and with him gone she still carries a death sentence from her condition. But he may well double her lifespan. My only stricture is that you not give her false hope that this is a true cure."

I took the time to finish my meal before I sought out Star Swirl, who was curiously absent from the big communal diplomatic breakfast, and after a few questions of the Spire's palace staff, I had my directions.

The door that was the end of my search was one I knew into a salon that mostly existed for its connection to one of the Spire's few balconies. I rapped on the door twice with a hoof, and then heard the subtle warble of a magical aura on the interior doorknob just before it swung open.

It wasn't Star Swirl's magic which had created said aura, I discovered as I stepped in, but rather that of Grand Duchess Chrysoprase. She, Star Swirl, and Queen Platinum were sharing a much more private breakfast. I idly wondered if I hadn't been invited because it was only for pureblooded unicorns, only for 'duke-equivalents', or only for miserable old ponies who ought to have long since had the decency to die off.

"You know, Coil, I always assumed you just said the first thing that came into your mind in every situation." Wintershimmer observed with a certain disapproval, audible only to me. "I am unsure if I ought to be disappointed, or grateful that you refrained from voicing even more of them while I was alive."

I, not wanting to be identified as a schizophrenic (the least bad possible outcome of replying aloud) instead nodded. "Archmage. Grand Duchess. Your Majesty."

"Morty," Platinum greeted me first, before glancing around the room briefly for a chair. "What brings you here this morning? If you're worried about settling our… arrangement, that can wait this week."

I may not have been a political savant, but I did immediately make the connection between how staggeringly unsubtle her allusion was and the present company; it left me with the conclusion that she wasn't especially worried about our agreement being known to Chrysoprase and Star Swirl, even if she perhaps still held the practical details close to her chest.

If I had been a political savant, carrying that idea just a bit further would have terrified me. But I was not, so I pressed on with blissful ignorance.

"I'm actually here for Archmage Star Swirl," I observed.

The old stallion sighed. "Something else with Wintershimmer's belongings? I'd really rather not deal with any more, after the basilisk."

"Wintershimmer had a basilisk?" Platinum asked.

Chrysoprase was notably less impressed, though that came perhaps out of ignorance. "Those are the snakes whose eyes turn ponies to stone?"

Star Swirl nodded. "Quite dangerous. Especially when combined with void crystal to deny mages their magic. But the issue is in the past."

I nodded. "Nothing like that. I, um… Let me cut to the chase. There's a filly here in the Union suffering from stalagtitis."

Star Swirl raised a brow. "That's not a disease I'm familiar with."

"It only affects crystals. You know some of the barbarians would sharpen their fetlocks, or get jagged bits from battlescars? It can happen on the inside of their coats too. Over time, as the crystal coat grows, those broken points get longer and longer, and thinner and sharper. For most ponies, the natural movement of the body means the interior ones either re-merge with the coat, or in the worst case snap off and cause some scarring and numbness. But for some unfortunate ponies, the shards form without an obvious external injury. In the worst cases, like this poor filly, they grow into the brain."

"How horrible," said Chrysoprase.

Platinum nodded. "Is there a cure?"

I shook my head. "When I was growing up, Wintershimmer and I did a lot of different odd jobs in the Union. Not just monster hunting, but treating rarer illnesses, delivering foals for mares with complicated pregnancies… But even Wintershimmer couldn't do anything about stalagtitis. At best, he used to just give the victim enough milk of the poppy to dull the pain for a while, and when it got bad, to kill themselves painlessly. Or, if they preferred, a quick cast of the Razor."

"Milk of the poppy?" asked Chrysoprase.

"Opium," Star Swirl explained. "The filly has my sympathies as well, Coil, but I'm afraid I don't know anything more about this condition than you do or Wintershimmer did. I can't cure it."

"I know," I answered. "But you're history's greatest transmuter. I was hoping I might ask you to treat the symptoms for her, even if you can't treat the disease."

Star Swirl raised a brow. "You want me to transmute the inside of a filly's skull? Blind? I know I have a certain reputation, but the odds I just kill her are hardly low."

"But there's a chance you don't," I told him with a firm nod. "I don't have that chance. Can you try?"

After just a moment of consideration, Star Swirl nodded back to me. "I'll do what I can for her. Is the condition urgent, or can I finish this meal and our discussion before I join you? If there is time, I would like to draw some stabilizing and targeting glyphs, and give the exact approach a bit of thought instead of diving in with my immediate first idea."

"No rush," I answered. "I'll go get Ivy and we can meet in the… that is, in Wintershimmer's study. The staff should be able to show you the way. Aim for noon?"

"I will endeavor to be there on time," Star Swirl agreed. "My foreleg permitting."

I quirked my brow. "Is it healing well?"

The question, which I had meant in total good faith, earned an undignified glare from the old wizard. "At my age, Coil, it will be a miracle if it heals at all. I have half a mind to just replace it like that foreleg your crystal friend has."

"Sorry I asked," I muttered back with trepidation. Then I glanced between Platinum and Chrysoprase, hesitated for a very noticeable moment, and at last said "Good day," before turning toward the door.

Over my shoulder, the Grand Duchess told me "Good day, Mage Coil. I'm sure we'll speak again soon."

⚜ ⚜ ⚜

It was absolutely surreal walking the streets of the Union. Ponies actively stepped out of my way, some nodding in deference or greeting me as "Archmage". The old guardsponies who had so loathed me still weren't quite as welcoming as the general populace, but they expressed a newfound respect in the sense of 'fear', quite actively avoiding my attention and my path with a wide berth.

Eventually, I found my hoof rapping on a wooden door in some back alley of the city, and a moment after that, I found myself looking down into the eyes of little Ivy herself. A bit of blood was smeared down her emerald-ish coat from the base of her right ear, and judging by the line on her fetlock, I assumed she'd wiped it herself. Less time than I'd estimated, then.

"Mister Arcmage Morty! Dad, Mister Arcmage is here!"

"I am," I repeated in agreement. "I'm glad you're up, Ivy. Is there somewhere you and I and your dad can talk?"

"We've just got the one room," said Climbing Vine, the vaguely mint-colored crystal father, as he stepped out from the side of the room that was obscured by their door. "Come on in, Archmage. Thank you for coming to see us; we could have come to the Spire again if you wanted."

"I'll have you both do so shortly, but I wanted to talk first. Somewhere comfortable for you."

That comment was lost on Ivy, but Vine's face fell; tragically, that had been my intention. After a visible swallow (a rare thing on a crystal throat) Vine produced a couple of chairs, indicated one for me with a hoof, and then picked up his daughter and sat her down in the other.

I took a deep breath as Ivy and Vine stared at me, and then began. "I have good news and I have bad news. I'm going to tell you the bad news first, because otherwise the good news won't make sense. Sorry I can't offer you to pick the order. Ivy, I'm afraid you have stalagtitis."

Climbing Vine took a sharp breath in. Ivy, for her part, asked "That's why my ears bleed sometimes?"

A nod was the first answer that came to mind. "You know how sometimes when your crystal coat gets scratched, it grows out sharp and pointy?"

"Yeah, it happens to my fetlocks sometimes. Daddy has a file we use to keep them smooth so I don't hurt anypony."

"That's right. Well, that can happen on the inside of your coat too—and not always just because of a cut or a break. You've got a spur growing into your brain."

Ivy's eyes widened. "Oh! Well, that's why it hurts. What sort of medicine do I have to take?"

I glanced to Climbing Vine with my best expression of sympathy. Unfortunately, the father took that as a sign I wanted him to answer, and he spoke up. "There… there isn't medicine for that, Ivy."

"Well… We do have something," I cut in as quickly as I possibly could, before the filly had a chance to panic. When Vine's eyes widened, I took another deep breath to steady my own words, and leaned back in my chair. "Your dad is right that there isn't a cure, per se, but Archmage Star Swirl is here in town. And he's the world's best transmuter… um, that is, he changes the shapes of things with magic. We're hoping he can help you."

"He can cure her?" Vine asked, leaning forward over his daughter's shoulder.

It took a lot of strength to shake my head. "He can reset the spurs. If we're incredibly lucky, the stalagtitis was caused by some minor bump as a foal, even though she doesn't have signs of any external trauma, and he casts the spell perfectly to reshape things—if we're that lucky, the condition goes away. But… that's a lot of luck. More likely, the condition comes back over time."

"So she has to get him to cast the spell again?" Vine asked.

I shook my head. "Star Swirl is a hundred years old. And a unicorn, so he doesn't have the extra fifty years or whatever in him like lucky earth ponies do; he won't live much longer. I'll study what I can to do the same, but Star Swirl is widely considered the best transmuter who has ever lived. I specialize in…" Here, in a rare show of self-awareness, I refrained from even pronouncing the 'n' given the topic of the discussion and instead said "...other kinds of magic. And it's a risky spell for him." I forced down a very difficult swallow of my own, and turned my eyes to Ivy. "Which leads to the other risk we need to talk about. Ivy, there's a very real risk something with this spell goes wrong. And if it does, it will probably kill you."

Ivy winced. "Um… but, if I don't, I'm just gonna keep bleeding? And the headaches? C-cause you can give me medicine for the headaches, right?"

"The headaches and bleeding will get worse and worse if we don't do something. Eventually, you'll start to have trouble controlling your body and your mood. And after that, the condition is fatal." I took another swallow as I saw tears on the filly's eyes, and then I closed my own and took a deep breath. "Wintershimmer's usual treatment for stalagtitis was to give the victim a completely painless death. I don't recommend that, when there is hope, but it is one option. Another is that I give you milk of the poppy. It's a powerful medicine that makes things not hurt—much, much stronger than willow bark tea or whatever else you can probably get from whatever apothecary or doctor you usually work with. But it will make you sleepy. It'll buy you more time with your father, but not much. And you'll have to decide when you're ready to go, without me there to introduce you to Celestia personally."

"You mean the Artist?" asked Vine.

I gently massaged my temple. "Look… I'm not really here to get into a religious debate. When I came here, I promised myself I wasn't going to lie to either of you. There's no such thing as the Artist… or at least I hope not. If there is, it means there's some weird spirit or monster masquerading as a god for the crystals specifically…." I trailed off at the concerned look Climbing Vine shot me, coughed once into my hoof to clear the air, and continued. "Celestia and Luna judge all ponies souls; as I understand, they trade off, based on whether you die during the day or at night. Celestia happens to be a very good friend of mine, and having actually died once fighting Wintershimmer, I know my way around the—"

"Wait, what? Mister Arcmage, you're dead?" Ivy interrupted.

"No; I died, but I'm not dead. And that's not the point right now! This is about you, Ivy."

"No! I wanna know more about that!" she practically screamed.

It was clear to me she was deflecting, but then the filly was eight, so that should have hardly been a surprising reaction. I'll skip the only somewhat brief, watered down explanation I gave to try and teach basic metaphysics to an eight year old with no schooling to speak of. "...so what I hope you understand, Ivy, is that we don't want you to die—certainly not yet—but death doesn't have to be scary. If anything, dying is the scary part. It's certainly the part that usually hurts. Hence the first two options: I can make it not hurt while I'm here, or I can give you medicine to buy you some more time and keep it from hurting much when the time comes. But the third option, the one I strongly encourage, is that you let Star Swirl try to help. If his spell works, you'll get to live several more years; hopefully another eight before you start seeing symptoms again. Then, when you're older, we can revisit the choices, and I may have more options for you; borrowing a scalp from somepony recently dead or something, for example."

"You can do that?" Vine asked. "Can we do it now? Actually solve the problem today? I'd give her mine—"

I let out a very different sigh than I had before. "I don't know how to yet; it may not actually be possible at all. My only point is, I don't have a better solution right now than Star Swirl, but in a few years there may be a very different answer to our problem. It's not just an extra few years."

"Careful, Coil," cautioned Wintershimmer in my ear, not actually becoming visible even to my mind's eye. "No more false hope."

"There may be more than just an extra few years," I corrected.

Climbing Vine put a hoof on his daughter's shoulder. "Well, then it sounds like there choice is obvious."

"Do you agree, Ivy?" I asked.

Vine quirked a brow. "Archmage, she's eight. She can't possibly…"

Ivy started talking not after her father, but at the same time. "If that's what dad thinks."


Both comments were answered with a single nod. "Go to the Spire, to the same room we met before, at noon. I'll do my best to be there, but there is another problem I need to take care of before we head back to Everfree. So if nopony is there to meet you, it probably just means Archmage Star Swirl is running late. Do you have any other questions?"

Climbing Vine smiled. "Thank you, Archmage Coil. I… I know stalagtitis is normally a death sentence. It means so much to us to even have this chance."

I nodded. "Honestly, I just wish one time it wasn't a chance." I turned toward the door, then stopped. "Vine, you're older than me."

"Y…yes, that's true, Archmage."

"Did you ever know a pony named Circa? Softcoat, unicorn, probably with a split horn. He'd have been older than—"

"Oh, sure!" Vine answered. "Poor old guy; some kinda unicorn knight, I think. He lived over by the south wall, in one of the stacks." Glancing nervously toward his daughter, the father concluded "One of Halite's lieutenants, uh… fancied him."

"I know," I answered. "Castigate." Then, after a pause, I added "My mom."

"Your… oh! Oh, um… My condolences then."

"He's passed, I take it? I didn't want to pull him away from the Summer Lands just to force him to relive those memories." I'd also refrained to spare both my horn and the frog of my hoof, which tended to stay sore when I bled enough for a good seance.

"Yeah, he…" This time, Vine didn't turn his head, but I caught his eyes flick in Ivy's direction. "Well, he doesn't live in the Union anymore, at any rate. He decided it was time for him to move away."

"I understand," I told him firmly. "Remember, noon at the Spire."

⚜ ⚜ ⚜

Once I had independently verified Wintershimmer's claim—ensuring it wasn't his desire to push me away from Gale for the sake of furthering single-minded study of magic—that was enough for me to seek out High Castle to settle our bet. I ventured back to the Crystal Spire, once more asked for directions from the palace staff. Though the crystals of the spire were at first unsure where to direct me, a member of the Equestrian delegation happened to be passing (I say this as though it was luck or coincidence, and the diplomatic party hadn't effectively flooded the Spire) and so I was soon shuttled back to the salon where I had left Star Swirl, Platinum, and Chrysoprase before.

Curiously, High Castle wasn't waiting for me. His grandmother, however, was. Grand Duchess Chrysoprase still wore her usual wrinkled mild frown on her graying green muzzle, and dressed to give the impression of a so-called period drama, despite 'period dramas' being a term at least three centuries away from being introduced to the avant-garde of Equestria's theatrical society. In more detail, the mare wore a green dress darker than her natural coat color, trimmed in white with ornate lace on the cuffs and collar, and bright silver fittings. Her mane was pulled back into a tight bun, and the way it pulled on her face only seemed to highlight tension in the room.

On the salon table beside her were two teacups, a crystal teapot that was (thanks to its translucency) full enough that I could be sure it was not the same tea as she'd shared with Star Swirl and Platinum and hour or so before, two empty crystal wine glasses, a bottle of wine bordering on purple in its redness, and finally a suitably ancient tome bound in alchemical faux-leather stretched over wood, and fixed with metal protectors on the corners and studs along the spine. Its cover, in egregious cursive that I struggled to parse, read The Seventeen Days on the Mountaintop, the oft-referenced 'canon' of unicorn nobility of the era.

"Ah, Coil. I'm glad you were able to make it. My apologies if I was too subtle when we spoke before. I imagine you prefer not to get Duke Zodiac and the Queen-Mother involved. Please, have a seat."

I took a seat in the upholstered chair opposite Chrysoprase, extended my hind legs down in that comfortable but oh so unfashionable 'bipedal' style, and steepled my forehooves. "So 'see you soon' was supposed to mean you already knew?"

"Of course," Chrysoprase replied with a terse, businesslike nod. "We've been here nearly a week. I knew within the first few hours." After searching my eyes for a few moments, she noted "Did you not? I had assumed you were hesitant to keep your end of the bargain. Your mother was more than forthcoming in her pride for you." Chrysoprase lifted her teacup to her lips, took a small sip, swallowed, and then softly added "Detestable mare."

"We're in agreement, then. I didn't want to give her the satisfaction of asking. It took me a while to find the name."

"Earl Circa, of the House of Dust, formerly of Lichdale. Legend holds that your family descends from Archmage Hourglass, if you believe in King Ardor stories." (We do not, unless Starlight lied to my face.) "I confess I don't remember your father personally, but your paternal grandmother was a good friend, many years ago. What I can tell you of your father is that he was a knight of the Order of the Argent Chain. If you wish to hear more about him, Sir Chiseled Gem would have known him well. I would be more than happy to arrange an introduction once we return to Everfree."

"Appreciated," I answered. "I can just talk to my dad directly now that I know his name, though."

"Ah, yes. Your necromancy." I waited for her to make some comment about it being unbecoming of a young noble, but the other shoe never dropped. Instead, with her magic, Chrysoprase slid the book so that it sat on the table's edge, more or less between our bodies.

Then she flipped open the book, with the same green glow of her magic. Two things were revealed inside the cover, on the very first page. One was a very flat, very sharp silver razor blade. The other, a bit of gauze fabric laid out flat in two strips.

I raised a brow, but let her take the lead with an explanation.

Chrysoprase appreciated my momentary silence, and indulged me. "By tradition, to become Banner and Sponsor, we swear the respective oaths out of Seventeen Days on the Mountaintop. Then we seal the deal with a drop of blood."

"Woah," I said. "Hold on; it's one thing to swear an oath, but blood?"

"Just a drop," said the Grand Duchess. Then she paused, face still lit by the fading of her green magical glow. "Ah, no, this is about magic, is it not? I can tell you the tradition about the drops of blood came about in the days when kings and archmages were one and the same, and I am sure it meant something magical then. It's been a long time since anypony used magic in such an oath, though. If it concerns you, you are more than welcome to read it in advance."

"And if I decide I don't want to sign?"

Chrysoprase sighed. "That would be very unfortunate for the standing in court that you're working unsubtly to build up as a way to legitimize your courtship of Her Majesty."

The words were rather like a slap in the face, and when I looked up from the text, I found a little upturn on the corner of Chrysoprase's cheek.

"What, did you think the two of you were being subtle? Well, perhaps I should give some credit there to Her Majesty, but you? Openly betting on disqualifying my grandson where who knows how many other nobleponies heard? Your so-called birthday gift, killing Count Halo in front of the entire court?" As if with mock sympathy, Chrysoprase shook her head. "I have every intention of stopping that, both for Castle and out of responsibility to unicorn kind. In that regard, I frankly ought to request that you not sign, since if you want to get out of this deal with any respect in the Stable, you also have to keep your own nobility a secret—and without that, your standing as a potential suitor is nonexistent. That bet may have been foolish for Castle, but you royal forked yourself in making it."

"I'm sorry, Grand Duchess, I royally what myself?"

Chrysoprase sighed. "A royal fork is when a single piece—usually a knight—threatens both the king and queen from the same position in chess. Do you play chess?"

"I'm aware of it," I answered. "Wintershimmer didn't like symmetrical games. He thought they were unrealistic, and therefore unhelpful."

"Ah. Somehow, I feel like I shouldn't be surprised." Chrysoprase took a moment of silence, and then nodded to the book, and then the door. "The choice is yours."

I closed my eyes—ostensibly making a show of thinking, while in reality I was reaching into the voice of my most accessible advisor. "Wintershimmer, thoughts?"

"You're the noble," Wintershimmer answered inside my skull. "You do not want my full opinion here."

"Try me," I pushed.

"I know you know better than to make contracts signed with blood. But setting aside all caution as you seem to fancy, let us, for once at least, pretend to entertain reason. You do not need this to be a wizard. You would prefer to be called 'Archmage' to 'Prince Consort'. Continue to share company with the Queen as a friend if you like. For romance—and do not pretend you are above this; I am inside your mind—Vow can direct you toward far easier quarry. Or hire you a whore. If that is too mundane for your clearly distinguished tastes, I have no doubt that as both my apprentices, you and Vow can together work out how to summon a succubus safely. I only need you to warn me in advance so I can focus my attention on some dusty corner of your memories."

I opened my eyes. Spite at Wintershimmer's scorn gave me the last of the drive I needed to overcome my own better judgement and caution. I slapped a hoof down on the ancient tome (earning a frown from Chrysoprase). "Fine. Let's get this over with."

Chrysoprase nodded, lifting the book in her magic. "I'll hold it for you. You can put your hoof on the lower section there; that's mine. Read from the top."

What I uttered was a stilted, painful oath—one where the archaic language and my own struggles with reading heavier vocab overcame whatever natural chemistry I normally brought to speech. "I, Earl Mortal Coil of the House of Dust, do hereby swear on my honor as a noble of the unicorns, on behalf of myself and any foals I may bear, in perpetuity, pledge my loyalty, and the loyalty of the House of Dust as banners of the House of Gullion. I give my word to serve and obey, and if the need arises to protect them, unto the limit of my ability, and to raise up whatever foals I may beget to do the same. Let me and my line serve them in loyalty and deference, until the day comes that our services are no longer required, or that the crown sees fit to elevate us, or our sponsors dismiss us. I, Earl Mortal Coil of Lichdale, of the House of Dust, do so swear before my fellows and my friends, that all unicorns shall know of my heritage."

"Sorry," Chrysoprase whispered, and before I had a moment to take stock of what I meant, she slit the frog of my hoof with the razor. When I pulled back, she quickly wrapped the small wound in gauze and applied a gentle pressure to it. "It's less painful if it comes as a quick surprise," she added.

"Be careful with surprising wizards," I warned in reply.

Chrysoprase turned the book hovering in front of me, pulled it closer, and placed her right forehoof on it. Then she sat up to her full height and perfect posture, applied a pair of delicate reading glasses to her muzzle from some pocket inside the breast of her outfit, and continued quite loudly. "As Grand Duchess of the House of Gullion, I, Grand Duchess Chrysoprase of Oxfjord, do solemnly accept the House of Dust under my care and the care of my lineage. I further do swear that I and my descendants shall support the Right Honorable Earl Coil in keeping with the obligations of a Great House. Further, I give my word that I shall take him under my care as a young noble, to instruct him in our ways and our traditions, that he might be a boon and a blessing to the civilization of Equestria, and to the preservation of our lineages as unicorns. Until he is prepare to stand on his own as a noble, I shall stand to represent him, be it before the Stable, the three thrones, or even our own Queen—to whatever extent I can in truth and justice. Let ours be a joint cause, to rejoice together in triumph and mourn together in loss, so long as Celestia blesses our bloodlines."

Chrysoprase then slit her own hoof and let a drop fall from the razor onto the page of the ancient book. That much was not a surprise.

What I did take as a surprise was the sudden palpable weight on my shoulders, and the distinct chill like the touch of cold metal left out too long in the night running down my spine.

It was a feeling I had felt only once before, under circumstances more similar to that moment than I had realized until it was already too late. My mind flickered back to a carriage outside a dance hall, on the night of Gale's birthday, sitting across from another older unicorn mare.

I came very close to ripping out her soul before I even spoke another word. With every passing second, I felt fury building in my body. "A cold iron vow?" I asked her.

Chrysoprase nodded, set the book down on the table, and set about pouring two glasses of wine from the bottle she had arranged. "I told you the truth, that nopony has used magic on a noble's vows in years. But, as with so many things, you are a special case, Earl Coil."

"This is about Gale?"

"At least in my presence, you will show Her Majesty the respect she is due," the Grand Duchess corrected. "To answer your question, yes, but only in part. Before we continue: as your sponsor, it is my will that you not attempt to escape the terms of this vow. You will not discuss it, except with me. Is that clear?"

I didn't answer. I couldn't find words.

"Calm," cautioned Wintershimmer, unhelpfully. "If you hurt her, the vow will kill you."

"Answer me, Earl Coil."

I grit my teeth for a moment, and I felt my cheeks begin to itch, like they'd been rubbed with poison ivy. Still, for a moment, I stubbornly resisted. It was only when the feeling went to burning that I relented. "I understand."

"Good," said Chrysoprase. "Yes, this is in part about Her Majesty. It is bad enough that she has pegasus blood, after what Cyclone did to us… but to risk a crystal?"

"This is all about racism?"

"You don't understand enough about our responsibilities for me to correct that, even if you were asking in good faith." Chrysoprase held out a wine glass toward me. "We don't have to be enemies, Earl Coil. I don't intend to take undue advantage of this. My only real goal is one order: give up your pursuit of Her Majesty's hoof. You can still do… well, whatever it is you do as a wizard. In fact, I encourage it. Continue studying with Lady Celestia, or teach at Archmage Diadem's college, or whatever suits your fancy."

I swatted away the wineglass with the back of my hoof. It shattered over the cover of The Seventeen Days on the Mountaintop.

Chrysoprase lifted the book not telekinetically, but almost mournfully in her hooves. The fairly pronounced frown lines on her cheeks were once more emphasized in their use. "That was a glass of Chateau Chateau." When I didn't speak in reply, she nodded. "Very well. I will leave you some time to see reason." Then she lifted Seventeen Days, opened it once again, and violently pulled the front page out of her ancient book—only, to my surprise, instead of the tearing of paper, I watched the familiar green glow of her magic spark where the page was joined to the binding of the tome: an illusion, dying.

The page in question sparked and fizzled as the illusion faded from the 'torn' edge—though in truth, it had never been bound into the book in the first place. The parchment was far newer and whiter than any other page in the book, though the words and the stains from our respective blood and the spilled wine were just the same as they had been otherwise.

"Keep that if you like," the Grand Duchess told me. "It can remind you of the exact terms of our arrangement." Then she stood up, taking the wine stained book with her. "When we return to Everfree, I will send somepony by your home to arrange the first of your lessons. You will attend them. Good day, Earl."

On her way out the door, I called to her with one question burning on my mind. "Was Luna behind this?"

Chrysoprase did not answer before she stepped out into the Spire.

I was left cradling the page in my hooves. I do not know how long I sat in the salon. I know I cried. I know I wanted to scream, and the wording of the vow and her orders kept me from it. Somehow, my own mind told me, drawing that kind of attention would be too close to revealing the secret I'd been ordered to keep. I was chained by my own idle thoughts.

At some point I threw the entire bottle of Chrysoprase's fancy wine out the balcony doors, and down onto some unsuspecting roofoutside. The teapot I flung into the wall, and felt disgusted at my own flimsy strength that, while it cracked, it didn't even have the decency to shatter properly.

I turned over the contract in my hooves as my thoughts stewed. I couldn't even talk to Wintershimmer—not about this, at any rate. And that was all there was in the world.

At some point, I remembered that when Platinum I had come to me with her more benevolent vow, she'd brought parchment from Luna. It only followed Chrysoprase would have needed the same help; her illusion was more potent magic than many give the school credit for, but it was still a parlor trick at the end of the day to a real wizard. A cold iron vow, though, was sophisticated, even for me. Perhaps, I thought, even if I couldn't work to undo the magic, I could at least understand it. So, ignoring the damage to my health and with the physical pain of my horn dulled by the fuzziness of my mind under the effects of the priceless wine, I scanned the page I held with my magic.

Luna, it seemed, had been lazy in concealing the ritual on the back of the sheet; there was almost no enchantment there, as if it hadn't been hidden from me so much as some random passerby.

When I turned over the sheet again to read the magical writing on the back properly, though, Wintershimmer finally piped up in my head with six short words that would seal my fate, though he had no intention of that in his speaking.

"That is Star Swirl's horn writing."

⚜ ⚜ ⚜

Myself excepted, even the greatest archmage is still a mortal pony. Star Swirl retains the title of the greatest transmuter in all of history, at least at the time of writing, but he was also a century old. When I found him after storming out of the salon, brusquely shoving my way through the halls and scorning any greeting or well-wish I received, he was using his magic to support his broken foreleg as he made his way toward the great gates that were the public entrance and exit of the Crystal Spire.

"Star Swirl!" I shouted at the top of my lungs, turning not only his eyes, but those of the two or three dozen bystanders who were going about their business into or out of the center of the Union's government.

"Morty?" asked the old wizard, calling out in a raised but still gentler tone, presumably to avoid having to walk up the entryway stairs to where I was glaring down at him. "Are you alright? Something wrong with Ivy? I was expecting you to join—"

"You know exactly what's wrong!" I bellowed, rushing down toward him.

"I assure you, I do not."

Star Swirl wasn't expecting a fight. If he had been, I could never have beaten him then, even with preparation. But my horn was always fast. When my magic grabbed onto his broken foreleg and picked him up fully off the ground so his entire body weight dangled by that single agonized limb, he wasn't Archmage Star Swirl the Bearded anymore. He was just a hundred year old unicorn. I doubt he could focus enough to even push back against me with telekinesis through that excruciating pain. He screamed, I recall. It's a haunting thing, to hear somepony that old scream from so deep in their chest.

At that moment, I did not care.

I swung him by that limb the way a knight swings a flail, and the force with which his back struck the doorframe of the palace's gates sent spiderweb cracks along the ancient sapphires, and more than a few chunks of the gemstone rained down. Star Swirl flew through the open doorway and down the main street of Union City, rolling on his now broken hip at least a dozen times before momentum and the drag of his puffy belled robes finally brought him to a halt. Were it not for those robes I so often derided, or had he not enchanted them himself to be akin to my jacket, I have no doubt the blow would have killed him.

The ponies around me screamed and shouted and panicked. Some ran. A few brave souls tried to approach, to confront me. I glared down at the first that approached, a crystal guardspony. "I killed Wintershimmer. You really want to try your luck?"

When I stomped after him out into the street, nopony was brave enough to even try to stop me. I walked out into a similarly panicking and awestruck Union City and staggered over to stand above Star Swirl.

The old wizard was crying from the pain. I know he tried to say something to me, but between his agony and my rage, I couldn't make it out. I grabbed onto his soul with Wintershimmer's Razor, and my horn flared for the second time in as many moments. I leaned down so close I knew he could feel my hot breath on his ear. "You know what that feeling means."

Behind me, I vaguely heard hoofsteps running on the precious cobblestones, and Chrysoprase's voice simply cried "Stop!" between pants of exertion.

Immediately, I felt the itching, the burning, the sheer pain take hold in my already aching horn. I released my magic, and a wave of fatigue surged over me. Still, I stood, drawing heavy breaths defined more by rage than effort. And as I turned to my newfound ruler, glaring, she walked forward—slowly, despite the moving of her own sides as she drew in breath from what I assumed was a sprint to approach me before I finished what I had started. It wasn't until she was close enough to whisper that she offered me words at all.

"You will…" She had to pause to breathe. "Surrender yourself. To the guard. No objections. No snide wit. Then you will return to Equestria. And you will accept whatever punishment is due."

PreviousChapters Next