• Published 10th Sep 2018
  • 1,507 Views, 23 Comments

Confessions of a Lone Vagabond - Azure5555



Human tossed through the void into Equestria

  • ...
3
 23
 1,507

Duel 00 Pt6: The Shy One

Was I silently regretting my every decision? Yup.

"Now first thing's first Vince, we gotta getcha registered as a town resident 'for we can actually start gettin ya settled!" Applejack said excitedly.

I huffed as she lead me into Town Hall. The sound of typewriters and scratching quills echoed in a form of controlled chaos as AJ lead me up to a flight of spiral stairs. There were a few business types along the way that gave us (specifically me) looks.

"Don't mind em' none, the usuals here look down on everypony." Applejack explained.

"You come here often?" I asked, narrowly dodging a low hanging beam.

The farm girl shrugged. "Kinda hav' to. I handle the family's finances and such." After a bit of walking and actually hitting a doorframe, we finally made it to the main office.

With a firm knock, a voice echoed. "Come in!" As we gently made our way in, an aged and gray maned mare wearing half moon glasses dropped a quill she had in her mouth as she looked at us. "Miss Apple… what might I do for you?"

"Easy Mayor, just here to make some arrangements fer ma friend here." The farm mare said calmly as she took a seat.

The Mayor fixed her glasses and gave me a look… her gaze was a little predatory if I'm being honest.

"Yes, I believe I have heard the rumors of a shapeshifter living within the Everfree forest. Am I to assume you wish to change this arrangement?" The Mayor asked calmly.

"That's it exactly, ain't that right Vince?" Applejack asked me, a happy smile on her face.

Shrugging, I sorta kneel on the floor. "Eh, I doubt you have anything here me sized. So for now, let's just get my paperwork in order." I replied.

Applejack started glaring daggers at me, but huffed as Mayor Mare started stacking papers together and presented them to me as well as the quill she had in her mouth.

"Please fill out these pages and we'll get right to processing your documentation." The Mayor stated as stared me down again.

Shrugging again, I started filling out page after page of governmental red tape. Name, Age, Occupation, Income, Spousal Status, the basic stuff. After signing the last page, I slid the stack back as the Mayor placed her hoof on my hand before sliding it down to the documents and pulling them away.

Coughing, she began flipping through the info. "Yes, well… I assume you'll be staying for the Summer Sun Celebration?"

'The what and the who?' I thought. I gave AJ a quick look as she started laughing.

"Eeyup!" She stated happily. "Vin here's gonna volunteer with all the apple pickin'. Ain't that right Vin?"

"Sssuuuureee… yep. Definitely helping." I lied through my teeth. This was thankfully enough for the Mayor to hear as she gave a small chuckle.

"Well, I'll be sure to find you during the festivities," The Mayor said. "Now, if that's all, I do have work to do."

Me and AJ started to get up and walk away, but I felt a tug at my wrist. "Mr. Price? A quick word?" Mayor asked.

Applejack flinched and started to speak, but I raised my hand to silence her.

"It's cool Jacqueline, I'll be quick." I assured the farm mare, said farm mare looking at me with those bright worried eyes of hers before she nodded and left. As I turned back to look at the Mayor, she was leaning on her desk, her chin on her hooves and her tail swishing side to side.

"Jacqueline… Not many ponies use her middle name you know," She said with a smile and half lid eyes. "Are you two perhaps an item?"

"Weird question, but no. She's just an overly worried and nosy friend I made." I replied as I put my hands on my hips.

Giggling, the Mayor took her glasses off. "Is that so? Well, if you're ever looking for less nosy company, my door is always open for you."

And with that red flag raised, I nod and calmly walk out, close the door as gently as possible, and start walking as fast as I can.

"Vincent? What's the problem partner?" Applejack asks as she hustles to keep up.

"Hm? Me? Nah, it's nothing. Say, I may need new clothes and I have a boatload of bits to throw around. Know where a guy can get a change of clothes?" I hurriedly throw out as I'm practically skipping on the steps.

"Well, the only pony in town that can probably set ya up is Rarity and she might not have all that much time what with the Celebration right around the corner." Applejack replies as she shoots me a weird look.

"Oh I'm sure she'll make an exception…"


-Carousel Boutique-

"How many bits do I have to give you to let me go." I was practically tied up, half nude, and hanging from the ceiling as Rarity wrapped and unwrapped roll after roll of measuring tape.

"Oh no no no~" Rarity sang out as she began to furiously scribble notes into a booklet. "How can I charge you when you present me with such a… challenge?" She dreamily gasped out. "Think of it dear Vícent," She continued as she pronounced my name wrong. "An entirely new line of fashion all modeled and inspired by you! Why, there are so many ideas running about my mind I wouldn't know where to begin!"

"Putting me down would be a nice place to start." I say a little bitterly. Looking up at me, she blushes as she slowly rights my body, puts me in a chair, and starts dusting me off and returns my clothes with her magic.

"I am quite sorry, I get a little carried away when matters of fashion are presented to me," She said as she fluttered her eyes at me. "Surely you can find it in your heart to forgive me?" She was now leaning into me, her hooves on my left leg and her wide eyes getting dangerously close to my face.

Calmly, I place a finger on her nose and push her away ever so gently. "Yeah sure, just make me a suit exactly like this one in black and gold with a tie and vest to match and we'll call it even."

She had scrunched her nose from the contact, but made no action to stop me as she looked at my finger, then me. "Are you sure it needs to be… 'exact'? So many things I ca-" She closes her eyes tightly as I push my finger just a tad harder.

"Everything except the vest and tie need to be exact," I reply as I get up and walk for the door and look back. "And no rhinestones! I don't need people thinking I'm some posh asshole." And with that, I walked away.


The days following my meet with Rarity went as follows: Every morning I wake up, I test the extent of my powers, I make a minion (usually a basic Ancient Gear Golem), I get picked up by Skittles McGhee (Rainbow Dash), head to Applejack's farm, pick a few apples, head to Pinkie's shop, eat a muffin or two, and leave for my castle.

The days themselves felt kinda slow, but there was always something bugging me in the corner of my eye… a pale yellow and bright pink something…

"Somethin' on yer mind Vince?" Applejack asked me as I stared at seemingly nothing. A gloved hand on a tree.

I was currently a Speed Warrior as the mobility helped with apple picking. Dropping the guise, I took a look at Applejack. "It's nothing. At least I think it's nothing…"

Confused and worried, the farm girl put a hoof on my leg and gave it a rub. "If somethin' ain't sittin' right with ya, ya can tell me, alright?" She said with a sort of sad look.

Shrugging, I wave it off and finish up for the day. I always felt a little bad leaving, but as the Summer Sun Whatever came creeping closer and closer, more and more of her family started pouring in. Some of em freaked when they first saw me, others tried to wrangle me in, but once AJ intervened it was all squared away. Some of them even swoon when I drop by, but AJ makes sure to put them in their place.

As I left the farm, I had that strange feeling again. Just from the corner of my eye I spot a pink mass disappear into a bush, a dust trail following behind it. Shrugging, I decide to see what's up and wonder if it's Pinkie trying to prank me or something. I'm not even two feet away before the bush starts moving away the closer I get.

This goes on for a while as I followed the bush to a cottage near one of the only entrances to the Everfree. I think one of the ponies mentioned a cottage at the mouth of the woods, but I can't remember who. The bush strings me along for a few more minutes as it reaches the door, gently pushing the decorated slab of wood in as the blur from before exits the bush and flies into the cottage.

Shrugging… again… I boot the bush to the side and enter to find Fluttershy looking as if she'd just run a marathon and setting a teapot and cookies down. I give her door a single knock, causing her to yelp and hug the ceiling.

"Were you in that bush?" I ask the still shaking mare.

Stealing a glance at me, Shy puts on the best smile she can. "O-oh oh! He-hello Mr. Vincent… h-how nice of y-you to stop b-b-by." She stutters out. Shrugging, I walk and take a seat. One of the residents, a bunny of all things, gave me the stink eye as I made myself at home.

Once I finally settled and served myself some tea, my gracious and totally not a stalker of a host finally came down from the ceiling and sat in front of me, a coffee table being the only thing separating us.

"So, you let any random stranger into your house, or am I special?" I ask jokingly, though it probably came off as a little condescending.

The shy mare flinched at my question and started mumbling as she hid behind her massive mane. Rolling my eyes, I start going through my deck. Shy seemed to calm down as she saw me sift through my cards until I found one I think would help… It was an oldie, and people seemed to forget about it since Silver Fang was so popular…

Funny enough, this beast was literally just called Wolf. Slipping it into my disk, I quickly changed, much to the surprise of my host.

With wide eyes, Fluttershy did her best not to jump from her seat to pet me. "Oh my. You're so…"

"Fluffy?" I ask with a tilt of my head. The mare giggled as she slowly got up and got closer and closer.

"Um, you wouldn't mind if I…" She started to raise her hoof up to her chest, pawing at the air slightly. Smirking, I lean my furry head in. With a soft squee, Fluttershy starts running her hoof along my ears… and God… damn it did it feel like heaven. I will neither deny nor confirm that my hind leg started stomping the ground uncontrollably.

After what seemed like an eternity, Fluttershy finally pulled away, a content smile on her face… at least until she flinched and started to consider something.

"Um… I… don't want to seem rude…" She said quietly.

"Something wrong? I ask as I start to rub my muzzle across her face, causing her to giggle happily as she nuzzled back.

"Well… I wanted to ask you if maybe you could… teach me?" She asked with a bit more certainty.

Pulling away, I tilt my head as if to ask her to clarify. Slowly, she started to clear the table and roll out two decorated and hand knit play mats.

"The… game. I was hoping maybe… if it wasn't too much trouble?" She was now more than a little bashful as she rocked herself side to side.

"You have a deck?" I ask as I change back. With a shake of her head I raise my hand up and close my eyes.

[Duel Core Accessed: Function: Deck Creation:]

'Alright, I need something cutesy, but not overly useless. Something like…'

[Watch Dog located]

'Oh I have the perfect deck in mind.'

Opening my eyes to a confused Fluttershy, I lift a freshly made deck and lay it on her playmat. "Here, you might like this one." I say with a tiny smirk.

She blinks as she stared at my hand, then the deck, then back to my hand. "How… how did you do that?" She asks inquisitively.

I had to give this some thought. "I'm… magic. I used magic." I lied. She seemed to accept this if her nod was any indicator.

"So, how do we begin?" She asks as she pokes the top of her deck. Smiling, I place my own deck on my playmat. A simple stall deck meant to teach.

"These are really nice mats," I commented, getting a smile from my shy opponent. "Anyway, we both start off drawing five cards. This is our 'hand'." I explained.

With a nod, Fluttershy drew what was probably the first hand of cards she's probably ever held in her life… only to flinch and nearly drop them, a massive and surprised smile on her face.

"They… they're so…" She took a moment to look at her hand before setting them down. "Are all cards this cute?" She asked me.

"Unfortunately no," I reply, saddening my opponent. "But, they will be in your case. Now, this will be a little unorthodox as I'll be teaching you about the card types and everything they can and can't do," I say as I lay out my five card hand on the table face up. "So just this once, we'll be playing with our hands face up."

She nods again and flips her hand. A Watch Dog, two Fox Fire, an Inferno Reckless Summon, and a Nordic Relic Laevateinn. In mine are two copies of Dark Hole, a Cyber Dragon, an Evilswarm Mandragora and one Mystical Space Typhoon.

I lift MST and have her take a look, specifically the bolt insignia next to the words Spell Card. "These green cards are your spells. Normally, a spell can be set face down and still be played that turn, but you see this bolt? This signifies a Quick Play Spell. Quick spells once set, cannot be activated that same turn. Instead, they can be used on your opponents turn and any turn there after."

She nods again as I set my spell. "Since I went first, I can not draw a card from my deck. However, the second player will always be allowed a first draw. As such, I end." I explain as I motion my hand to her deck.

"Oh, so… I draw?" She says a little unsure as she takes the top card and reveals it. A Bottomless Trap Hole.

"Now, as you can see, you have two normal trap cards and a Quick Play spell card. Another thing to keep in mind about Quick Play spell is they can be played from your hand during your battlephase." I explain. "Now, you have three monsters; two of which are the same monster. Normally such weak monsters would be played in face down defense position like so,"

I take a card to show her the position. "But in your case, not only is it more beneficial to play either of these monsters face up in attack, you have traps to keep you safe. Go ahead and look over your monsters." With a nod, I watch as she sets her traps and takes a minute to pour over her monsters before summoning the Watch Dog.

"Right… umm… what are these stars?" She asks as she summons the dog. "Oh, and I send Inferno Reckless Summon to the grave."

As she goes through the deck, I show her Cyber Dragon and Mandragora. "The stars indicate levels. One through four can be normal summoned without problem unless specified otherwise. Levels five and six require a monster to be… used as a tribute to summon the monster. Think of it like a metamorphosis."

"Like a caterpillar to a butterfly," She offers as she looks at me with a bit of worry. "Um, I'm sorry, but… what counts as a continuous spell?" She asks.

"A Continuous Spell is marked with an infinity symbol. Your two Continuous Spells are Burning Land and Gravekeeper's Servant," I explain as she finds the cards in question before choosing Servant. "And to finalize the levels are monsters of levels seven and eight which require two monsters to be used as tribute.

"I activate Gravekeeper's Servant and end." Shy says with a nod. Taking my turn, I draw Counter Gate.

"I'll set my trap and activate the effect of my Cyber Dragon, special summoning it in attack mode," I say as I make my play. "Do you remember that Bottomless you set?" I ask as I gesture to her field.

She mouths out the word as she looks at her traps and flips Bottomless Trap Hole. Smiling, I remove my monster from the field. "Bottomless destroys and banishes summoned monsters with fifteen hundred attack points or higher. With that, I activate my Mystical Space Typhoon and destroy Gravekeeper's Servant."

The card was flipped and we made our respective movements. "Think you can handle it from here on in?" I ask with a raised and upturned palm. With a confident nod, she took her turn.

She swoons a little at Volcanic Rat, but normal summons a Fox Fire instead and puts Watch Dog in defense. "Oh! I forgot to ask, what are "phases"? Because I may have made a mistake with Watch Dog."

I raise a hand and smile. "The phases go, Stand-By, Draw, Mainphase One, Battle Phase, Mainphase Two, and End Phase. Main Phase one is used primarily to normal or special summon monsters to enter the Battle Phase. Main Phase Two is usually used to set and or activate spells and traps. Stand-By and Draw are self explanatory as is the End Phase. Don't worry about Watch Dog's effect as it was your only monster and you weren't going to attack with a zero attack monster."

She giggles a bit as she thinks for a second. "Can I enter the Battle Phase?" Nodding, she gestures to Fox Fire. "I attack."

"I activate the trap, Counter Gate. Your direct attack is negated and I draw. If the card is a monster, I'm allowed to normal summon it." Nope, Scrap Iron Scarecrow. Well, I can at least show her how reusable traps work.

Nodding, I take my turn. Forbidden Lance, nice. "I summon my Mandragora in attack," 'Mandragora has 1550 attack, and her Fox Fire only has 300. The only problem is, she has Laevateinn. I did just draw Lance…'

With my plan decided, I moved to the battlephase. "I attack Fox Fire." As she sends her monster to the grave, she flips Laevateinn. That was when I ran into a fatal flaw in my plan. Laevateinn once active ensures no effect can be activated in response. Sighing, I send Mandragora to the grave.

"Um, how do we know when one of us loses?" She asks with an inquisitive look.

I tap the side of my head and show a small holographic life counter.

Vin: 8000

Shy: 6750

"Don't worry, I'm keeping track. I end." Smiling, she takes her Fox Fire from the grave and places it back in attack mode.

Drawing a Spiritual Fire Art Kurenai, she sets it and summons her second Fox Fire. "Battle."

Nodding, I calculate the damage.

Vin: 7400

Shy: 6750

'My turn.' "Supply Squad… great. I play Supply Squad and activate Dark Hole. If you'd like, you can play Kurenai to inflict damage before both of your Fox Fire a sent to the grave."

"I can?" She asks as she eyes the trap. With a nod, she activated Kurenai in response to Dark Hole, dealing me another 300 points.

Vin: 7100

Shy: 6750

Ending, she drew Little Chimera. Honestly one of my favorites. "I summon Little Chimera in attack," She stated calmly. "Battle."

"I activate Scrap Iron Scarecrow," I reply, showing her the trap. "Now, Scrap Iron is interesting as instead of going to the grave after use, it resets itself allowing me to use it once more on the next turn."

She nods in understanding as she gestures for me to take my turn.

'Great, Jar of Avarice. Totally useless right now.' I think to myself. 'Unless…' "I set two cards and end." 'This'll hurt, but it'll be worth it.'

Lo and behold, another Chimera. "I summon Volcanic Rat and battle."

"I activate Scrap Iron Scarecrow in response to your rat's attack, and target your Chimera with Forbidden Lance."

Vin: 6800

Shy: 6750

"Oh! You can do that?" She asks in surprise.

"That I can. End?" I ask gently. With a smile and a nod, I drew Battle Fader. "End."

And with that, she drew into her final Little Chimera. "I normal summon Little Chimera in attack. Battle!" She says with a bit more excitement in her voice.

"I special Summon Battle Fader, it's effect ending the Battle Phase." She blinks a bit before giggling and nods in acceptance.

'Now or never.' Hello Photon Thrasher. "I activate Dark Hole, destroying all monsters on the field."

"Oh my!" She says with a bit of shock as she sweeps her field. I banish my Fader and gesture to Supply Squad.

"Due to Supply Squad, once per turn I'm allowed an extra draw whenever a card or cards on my field are destroyed." And it was another Thrasher… well, least I had a back-up. "I special summon Thrasher. Battle."

She gasps at the monsters attack and blinks as her counter lowers.

Vin: 6800

Shy: 5650

"End." Shy's eyes shine with a bit of excitement as she draws. Fox Fire, it'll hurt, but it'll keep her safe.

She calmly summons the monster in face up attack. "I summon Fox Fire and end."

I drew Night Beam, not all that useful… "Battle." I poke my Thrasher and slide it up as I shoot Shy a smile.

She giggles again as she graves her Fox before putting it back in face up defense.

Vin: 6800

Shy: 4950

Looks like she was almost at the halfway mark. She looks at me for a second before drawing. Ultimatel Baseball Kid, useful if she had another Fox Fire. Tilting her head with a smile as she looked at UBK before nodding. "I end." She says with a sure smile.

Drawing, I got a Dark Bribe, setting it as I finally activated Jar of Avarice. "I shuffle five cards from my grave except for any copies of Jar of Avarice and shuffle them into my deck, I then draw one card."

Swift Scarecrow, great. "I end."

She silently drew another Baseball Kid and ended.

Night Beam, my draws were getting me nowhere fast. Ending, I took a look at Fluttershy to see a… shadow had overtaken her eyes. Worried, I reached out only as a golden glint flashed in her eyes.

"Draw!" She called out as the top of her deck shined like gold! "I play One Day of Peace!" She called out as if in a trance… before she blinked and seemed to return to normal. "Um… I set and play Ultimate Baseball Kid…"

"Sh-Shy… are you okay?" I ask a little wigged out after drawing a Pot of Duality.

She gulped a bit before mouthing something. "Um… I-I think so…"

"Shy, that… that was a Destiny Draw. So far, you are the only one here to do have done that…" I explain a little shakily. I mean… shit, I don't even know if I could do that!

"Is… is that cheating?" She asks more than a little worried as I slowly shake my head.

"No, that just means you have what it takes. Let's keep playing. I draw."

Another Lance, the only problem is I'd be at a serious disadvantage anyway. "I play Pot of Duality," Two Book of Moon and a Supply Squad. Book of Moon it is. "I… oh. Wait… I have Night Beams. I play Night Beam and destroy your trap, now battle."

Due to One Day, neither of us will take damage until the end of Shy's next turn, but she still loses her Baseball Kid. Gulping, I let Shy take her turn. She drew a Bottomless and ended, she looked a little worried herself at this point.

Marshmallon… Nice. "I set a monster and two cards. End."

Drawing, she plays her field spell. "I play Molten Destruction."

"Dark Bribe. Negate and draw." I reply, flipping my trap.

"Umm… I play Burning Land?" Shit, she had me there.

Vin: 6300

Shy: 4950

"On each of our Stand-By phases, Burning Land will deal the player 500 points of damage," I state as I draw. Card Car D, not bad. "I play Night Beam, destroying your face down and play Card Car D."

I summon and send my Card Car as she graves a Bottomless. "CCD let's me draw two cards at the cost of my turn. End." I ended up with another Marshmallon and a Dark Bribe.

Vin: 6300

Shy: 4450

"Watch Dog…" She whispers as she gazes at the card with a smile. "I'll end."

Vin: 5800

Shy: 4450

And I drew into my final copy of Dark Bribe. "I set a card, monster, and end."

Vin: 5800

Shy: 4150

Shy drew into her last Watch Dog as her life points whittled down just a bit more… and mine weren't far behind.

Vin: 5300

Shy: 4150

My last Scarecrow, and I am officially nowhere…

Vin: 5300

Shy: 3650

Shy was having the same problem it seemed as she drew into her last Baseball Kid.

Vin: 4800

Shy: 3650

Counter Gate, not the game changer I wanted.

Vin: 4800

Shy: 3150

Her last copy of Bottomless… We acknowledged eachother silently, we both seemed bothered by the stagnation, but neither of us wanted to budge.

Vin: 4300

Shy: 3150

Another Dark Hole… couldn't play it since my field was full, and it's not like there was anything I could do besides kill my monsters along with Fox Fire… "Screw it," I said, cutting the silent tension as Shy shot her head up to look at me. "I play Forbidden Lance on Thrasher and Book of Moon on Fox Fire and why didn't I think of that sooner…"

With a relieved sigh I play Dark Hole, destroying my Marshmallons and Fox Fire, but not Thrasher. Supply Squad got me another Lance and I was finally able to break the stalemate.

Vin: 4300

Shy: 1850

Sighing… again… I set a Bribe and ended.

Shy seemed to gulp and gasp as she let go of a breath she didn't know she had. "That was…"

"Annoying?" I ask more than say, a smile on my face. She giggled as she took her turn.

Vin: 4300

Shy: 1350

"I set Spiritual Fire Art Kurenai and a monster." Shy states as she makes her moves.

"You know, just because I know what's in your hand, it doesn't mean you should tell me what you're going to play." I say as I tease her a little.

She blushes and smiles as I take my turn.

Vin: 3800

Shy: 1350

Compulsory Evacuation Device. Perfect. "I set a card and battle. End."

Vin: 3800

Shy: 850

She drew into a Laevateinn, normally I'd be worried, but I still had options. She set her monster and ended.

Vin: 3500

Shy: 850

Counter Gate again. Didn't matter… "I activate my Evacuation Device, sending your monster back to your hand."

"What!?" She gasps out in surprise. "Then that means…"

"Battle." I say simply as I poke my Thrasher.

Vin: 3500

Shy: 0

"That was amazing…" She whispered as she gathered her cards, a brightness to her eyes.

"I honestly can't complain," I reply as I gather my own deck and roll up her mat. "Well, it's been fun, but I gotta get home."

As I get up and wipe myself of any dust that may have built up, Shy grabs me by my b
jacket and looks up. "Um… maybe… if you aren't busy…" Her eyes… those damn puppy dog eyes…

Sighing, I shake my head and smile. "Sure, but next time… ditch the bush."

Author's Note:

Welp, this marks the end of the 'Tutorial'. Next Chapter will kick off the story with Book Horse heself.