• Published 10th Sep 2018
  • 1,507 Views, 23 Comments

Confessions of a Lone Vagabond - Azure5555



Human tossed through the void into Equestria

  • ...
3
 23
 1,507

Duel 01 Pt1: The Game Begins

Author's Note:

WELP! This uh... This took a while. Real talk tho, to everyone who still reads this, I love you, your face, and may you find prosperity in all that you do. Merry Incredibly Oh My God Where Have I been I'm late Christmas, New Year, and Insert Random Winter Holiday Here.

ON WITH THE SHOW!

-Canterlot Observatory-

Sparks... Fire… Magic. The sound of metal upon metal echoed in the bulbous interior of Canterlot's only observatory. For years it had been the research hub of the prized student of the land's prime ruler, and for years it was used as a makeshift forge.

No weapons were cast within these halls. No armor molded… no, instead… something far greater was being made here.

In a sense, it was an armament unlike any other, but it many ways it was a shield. Hardened and smoothed amethyst housed a fragile yet powerful crystalline core. The core empowered wires and circuits far beyond the advancements of the modern day, and a gentle hum filled the air around it with a grand serenity.

If only the same could be said of it's architect.

"SPIIIIKE!!!" A shrill voice yelled. "Do you remember where I placed the treated cardboard!!"

"Can't say that I do Twi!" A younger voice replied.

Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia's protege and star pupil. A unicorn who's intellect is matched only by her persistence. A persistence which lead her to one of her world's greatest mysteries.

"Spike please! If I don't perfect this technology in the next twenty seven hours, thirteen minutes and eight seconds then it could spell the end of all life on the planet!" The lavender unicorn cried. Her eyes glistened behind reinforced goggles and sweat dropped gingerly from her chin.

"Come on Twi," Her companion complained. "The Princess said you needed to get ready for the Summer Sun Celebration!"

Spike Sparkle, dragon and surrogate son of Twilight Sparkle herself. Hatched from an outburst of magic, he has stood diligently by his mother's side.

The two have shared a world of knowledge with one another and soon, their fates would be tied with all of existence.

"I'm sure Princess Celestia means well and all, but if I don't do this, then there won't be a Summer Sun Celebration!" Twilight argued as she affixed her new mechanism to her arm. "Now then, Spike, the test piece." She stated as she held out a hoof.

With a smile and a roll of his eyes, Spike gave Twilight a slim piece of decorated cardboard. The image was of a pony garbed in armored amethyst wizard robes holding a green pointed staff. Beneath the image were the numbers 2500 and 2100, and beneath the ink itself lay an intricate spell matrix.

With a click, her device came to life as a board of the purest magic manifested along the armored core. With a huff, Twilight calmly lay her card down. Magic sparked as an ethereal image of the wizard began to manifest… only to fade completely as her card caught fire.

With a sigh, the card was removed. As it's fire was snuffed out, a small wisp escaped the dying ember. "Test number eight hundred and four has also ended in failure…" Twilight whispered as she recorded the test results. "I'm close, but still so very far."

As the unicorn sighed and powered down her equipment for the night, a small mystic fire burned into star dust where her card once was…


-Ponyville-

As Dawn broke upon the land, Twilight had been well on her way to Ponyville… way ahead of schedule.

"Thanks again for flying us out here!" Twilight yelled over the sound of the whipping wind. Her single pegasus charioteer laughing heartily.

"Aye! I owed yer brother a favor!" The aged pegasus shouted back. "Figure this is payment enough, though yer gonna have ta be the one to tell him!"

"Twi!" Spike shouted as he desperately clung to his surrogate mother. "We really should have taken the train!!"

"There's no time!" The unicorn replied excitedly. "We have a world to save!!"

Laughing once more, the pegasus looked back at the pair settled inside the tiny and unprotected chariot. "Hang on to yer flanks!! It's gonna be a wild fall!!!" And with that, the pegasus took a nosedive.

As the dragon screamed bloody murder, Twilight could only holler at the exhilaration of the descent. Just as fast as the trio descended, so too did they land; Spike falling onto the floor as he kissed the ground.

Rolling her eyes, Twilight stepped off gently and bowed to her impromptu pilot. With another booming laugh, the pegasus was up and gone. With a determined smile, Twilight began to take in the still sleeping town around her as day had yet to fully break.

"Come on Spike, we need to get to the library." The lavender unicorn stated as she began to walk through the sleepy hamlet.

Groaning, the young drake pulled himself from off the ground as he slumped along. "Twiiii…" He muttered as he lazily caught up to her. "We aren't even supposed to be here yet… can't we at least get coffee first?"

"I'm sure there's coffee in th- huh?" Twilight had paused as she spied a curious scene of a fairly tall white coated pegasus with yellow winged hooves, yellow feathers, two massive blue orbs decorating it's wing joints, short cut white mane, a lion like tail topped with yellow fur, and a forward jutting blue crystal horn.

The pegasus considered her for all of three seconds before trotting away, wholly uninterested.

Sputtering incoherences, Twilight ran up to the tall and rather brilliant pony. "Wait! Wait please!" She finally managed to cry as she slid in front of him.

Sighing, the pegasus pinched the bridge of his nose as he stared down the annoyance before him. "I am a busy stallion with a tight schedule," He stated bluntly. "If your first question is about my horn, then you will be disappointed to find that, no, it isn't magical and I am not related to the princess or any royalty," With a huff, he turned his head and began to walk away. "Now I bid you good day."

Slack jawed and blinking, Twilight shook her head of the mental daze. "But it's literally jutting from your head!"

"I said good day!" The pegasus shouted without so much as looking back before flying away.

Whining softly, Twilight flinched as Spike walked out from the now open library. "This place is really well furnished!" The drake cheered, a metal pot and an empty mug in his claw. "Coffee?"


It was not long until the sun had finally settled in the sky, the town's hustle and bustle now shaking the library proper.

"Ugh, can't they keep it down!" Twilight shouted as she turned the page of a notebook with one hoof, scrawl out notes with her magic, and tinker with her device with her other hoof.

"Twilight, we need to make sure preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration are going as planned!" Spike whined as he held his stomach. "I'm also really hungry and the pantry isn't stocked!"

Sighing in defeat, Twilight craned her neck upwards as she stretched away the aches accumulated from her prolonged position. "You're right, lunch sounds good right now."

Smiling, Spike made his way for the door. "Great! I'm starving!" He cheered happily. As he opened the door to the outside world, he was greeted by a mass of ponies going to and fro along the streets. With childlike awe, Spike had run out much to Twilight's mild annoyance.

Sighing, Twilight slowly caught up to the drakeling with an unfurled scroll in her magic. "Well, you're in luck Spike," Twilight muttered as began a slow trot. "The local apple farm is in charge of the celebration's banquet."

"Hey… I've heard about that farm." Spike commented happily. "Their apples are supposed to be the best in Equestria!"

Shaking her head, Twilight focused her eyes back unto the crowded dirt road… until she felt something soft gently collide into her. Gasping, she quickly took a look to her left to find a pink Earth pony balancing several bags and caskets on her barrel. The pony also seemed to take note of the small bump as she turned around to face Twilight…

Only to audibly gasp as she rose several feet in the air… and zoomed off.

"Twilight… Twilight don't do it…" Spike whispered gently as he began to stroke his caretaker's mane with practiced precision.

Twilight for the most part went from immediate mental break to annoyed lucidity rather quickly. "This town is insane…" The unicorn muttered to herself as she continued her march.

As the two finally managed to make their way to the front of the farm, the same morning hustle and bustle greeted the pair. Twilight only sighed as she resigned herself to fate and flagged down a mare wearing a rancher's hat.

"Let's get this over with... Good afternoon. My name is Twilight Sparkle-" Before she could get another word in, a slightly bronzed yellow Earth pony with golden mane and tied tail took her by the hoof.

"Well, howdy-doo, Miss Twilight, a pleasure makin' your acquaintance," She said enthusiastically. "A'm Applejack. We here at Sweet Apple Acres sure do like makin' new friends!"

Twilight flinched at this as she struggled in the farm mare's hold. "Friends? Actually, I-"

"So, what can Ah do you for?" Applejack quickly asked, Spike snickering at the rather obvious double entendre.

Twilight, oblivious to this, cleared her throat. "Well, I am in fact here to supervise preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration. And you're in charge of the food?"

"Sure as sugar am!" Applejack replied happily. "Would you care to sample some?"

Before she could even answer, Twilight's stomach had answered for her.

"We skipped breakfast." Spike stated, Twilight blushing all the while.

Chuckling, the farm mare lead the two along. "Now normally Ah'd introduce ya to the family, but what with the mornin having just started we're all a little occupied."

Twilight gave a relieved sigh, thankful that this trip would go along just a little faster than she thought.

As the farm mare lead the duo to a prep table of sorts, she placed her hat down as she took a seat. "Beggin yer pardon, but uh, would you two happen ta be the ones stayin in the library?" Applejack had asked as she piled a platter with various apple related foodstuffs.

"That is correct," Twilight replied eagerly. "I'm slated to stay for a week at most, but I highly doubt that amount of time will be necessary."

"Not plannin' on stayin' long?" Applejack asked with a disheartened stare. "Bit of a shame, Ponyville's probably the nicest, quietest place in Equestria any one pony could live."

Twilight only stared back as she bit into her pastry, a look of pure bliss washing over her face as she choked back a sigh of relief. Now only choking, Applejack shook her head with a smile as she passed the unicorn a mug of milk.

Once Twilight was well over her near death experience, she took a few steady breaths as she tried to hide her embarrassment. "I'm sure that sounds nice and all," She coughed out. "But I left behind rather important research at home."

"Aw shucks, ain't gotta explain nothin' to me," Applejack replied as she took a few pieces off the platter and stored them in a tied up cloth. "Here, something for the road."

"Awesome! Seconds!" Spike shouted as he grabbed the sack, much to the farm mare's delight.

Shaking her head, Twilight took out her Overseer's list and crossed off the banquet preparations. "One down, thank you for the meal I'm sure the princess will love it." And with that, the duo left Applejack to her remaining duties.

"So, what next?" Spike asked as he looked at the unfurled scroll in Twilight's magical grip.

Twilight thusly looked at the incredibly clear sky… save for a single cloud. "Weather, Rainbow Dash being the pony in charge."

The single cloud seemed to shake slightly as a rainbow colored tail swished back and forth from just above the cloud. "Huh!? Somepony looking for me!?" A brash female voice echoed from above the cloud.

With a wingbeat, the cloud had dispersed as a sky blue pegasus with rainbow mane and tail descended slowly before the pair. "Let me guess, Rainbow Dash?" Twilight asked.

Chuckling, Rainbow rubbed a hoof on her chest. "What gave me away? My awesome cool looks, my award winning smile?" She asked with a cocky grin.

Twilight sighed ruefully as she slowly shook her head. "Well, it looks like clear skies at least."

Rainbow gave the unicorn a curious sideways glance. "Give it a minute." The pegasus muttered cryptically, much to the worry of the unicorn and drake. Within moments, the pegasus launched upwards into a somersault, kicking a forming cloud into vapor.

As Twilight shook away the small bit of condensation, she looked at the now alert pegasus with a bit of awe. For nary five minutes, clouds would randomly begin to form in different parts of the sky, only to be kicked into oblivion not two seconds after forming.

Of course the last cloud had for some reason formed just above Twilight's head… and was especially large in mass and density.

The explosion of water had drenched the unicorn completely, but had somehow missed Spike entirely much to his and Rainbows delight.

Snickering, Rainbow started to float next to the drenched unicorn. "Here, lemme get that…" She muttered through barely constrained chuckles as she began to fly around Twilight, a small cyclone enveloping her.

When Rainbow had slowed down, Twilight looked rather dizzy and frayed if her updraft mane was any indicator. Still choking back a laugh, Rainbow settled next to the unicorn. "Pfft, no no… don't thank me…"

Unamused, Twilight sighed as she crossed off "Weather Control" off the list. "WELL!" Twilight shouted in annoyance, causing the pegasus to flinch in confusion. "I can happily say that you have the weather fully under control…"

"Awesome right?" Rainbow replied before spinning her hooves around, a cloud forming before her. "Aight, I'm gonna get back to napping, see ya!" She shouted as she casually flew into the sky, cloud in her grasp.

Twilight let go of a small huff as she turned to walk away… only to stop as she noticed a card fall from the sky. "What the…" Gently taking the card in her magic, she took note of the small bipedal creature garbed in brass armor and cooking pot on its head. It had glass like goggles and wore an uncharacteristically beautiful white scarf that seemed to blow in the wind.

"Twilight?" Spike called out, causing the unicorn to gasp and hide the card within her satchel. "Looks like it's decorations up next!"

Twilight only nodded as she absent mindedly followed along her dragon's steps, her thoughts occupied by why a card much like the one she attempted to create would just fall from the sky…

"Beautiful…" Spike had said in reverence, snapping Twilight from her daze. Looking around Town Hall, Twilight took in the rather gaudy decorations.

"The décor does seem to be coming along nicely…" Twilight muttered.

"Not the décor!" Spike had shouted as he pointed to an alabaster unicorn with an expertly styled deep purple mane and tail. "Her…" He quickly began rubbing his scales to a shine as he slicked his spines back. "How are my spines, are they straight?" He asked.

Sighing, Twilight shook her head ruefully as she made her way forward to the frantic mare. "No, no, no oh Heaven's no…" The fabulous unicorn said to no one.

"Good afternoon," Twilight said rather loudly "Are yo-"

"Just a moment, please! I'm 'in the zone', as it were," The unicorn replied as she added the finishing touches to a banner. "Oh, yes! Sparkle always does the trick, does it not? Why, Rarity, you are a talent. Now, um, how can I help yo-" The moment 'Rarity' had turned to look at Twilight she had reflexively flinched in horror. "Oh my stars, darling! Whatever happened to your coiffure?!" She cried.

Confused and worried, Twilight took note of her blown back and frazzled mane. "You mean my mane?" She questioned. "Well that's actually a long story and I'd rather just check on the decorations so I can get out of your hair."

With an apalled gasp, Rarity had taken Twilight in her magical grip, said grip being surprisingly strong. "My hair!?" She shouted in surprise. "What about yours dear!?"

"Wait where are we going!? Help!!" As Twilight struggled, her assistant Spike only followed as if he himself were floating upon a magical stream.


It wasn't long before Twilight had managed to escape the clutches of the fashionista, her mane having been properly groomed.

"Augh, that corset really hurt…" Twilight grunted as she steadied her breathing.

"Couldn't we have stayed just a little longer?" Spike groaned wistfully, his mind still thinking of the alabaster unicorn.

Rolling her eyes, Twilight simply unfurled her to do list as she walked farther and farther from Ponyville proper. "Our next stop is with somepony named Fluttershy, she's in charge of music."

The darker and more foreboding the path became, the more Spike began to huddle closer to Twilight. "Are you sure we're going the right way?" He asked with a hint of fear.

Twilight would have answered him had it not been for the rather haunting sound of a flute followed by the synchronized chirping of birds and the howling of a dog… all of which was accompanied by what both Spike and Twilight believed to be the voice of an angel.

As the two came closer to the voice, they took note of a well kept and well hidden cottage nestled neatly in front of the town's massive forest. The choir sounded as if it came from just behind the cottage, so the two steeled their nerves as they prepared themselves for what they would find…

As the cacophony of birds reached a fever pitch, the pair were treated to a beautiful and rather explosive dance of feathers. In the midst of the song birds dance was another small bipedal creature garbed in red and white clothes, a red baseball cap, and a fairly tiny yellow scarf. Next to it was a chestnut brown and tan coated one eyed dog and a butter yellow pegasus with a fairly large pink mane and tail who they believed to be Fluttershy.

The trio seemed to not only be dancing, but leading the entire flock in their rather captivating show. The clothed creature played a wooden flute, the dog's low octave howls and growls added a surprisingly peaceful haunting tone all while the pegasus kept track of everything as a conducter… at least until a blue jay took note of Twilight and Spike.

With a shrill screech and an abrupt aerial hault, several more birds began to crash into the blue jay before righting themselves and flying off. In the chaos, the creature had switched it's flute for an iron bat, the dog had taken a defensive stance as it bared it's teeth, and the pegasus hid behind the pair, shivering.

"Spike, get behind me…" Twilight whispered as her horn began to glow. Of course as Spike began to do as his guardian bid, the pegasus had come alive in a sense.

With an audible gasp, the pegasus jumped over to Spike. "Are you a dragon?" She asked with awe.

With blinking eyes, Spike began rubbing a knuckle on his chest as he smiled. "Well, I am just a baby."

"Ohh… I've never met a baby dragon before." The pegasus cooed. Once the birds had settled, the creature and dog had turned their attention to other matters as the pegasus fawned over Spike.

Sighing, but thankful the situation had been diffused, Twilight calmly walked up to the pegasus who took in Spike's form denoting as much about his as she could.

"Excuse me, are you Fluttershy?" Twilight finally asked, much to the pegasus' surprise.

"O-oh! Um… y-yes. I am." The now timid mare replied, now hiding behind Spike.

Chuckling, Spike began running a claw along Fluttershy's mane, smiling now that the pegasus was calming down. "Oh don't worry, Twilight won't bite."

"She won't?" Fluttershy asked cutely, much to Twilight's growing annoyance.

Pinching the bridge of her nose, Twilight started to lift Spike into the air. "Well! You seem to have everything under control here so we'll just be making our way home."

"Aw come on Twi!" Spike shouted in protest. "Can't we stay just a little longer?"

"But Spike~" Twilight cooed with an almost sickly sweet chime. "It's almost time for your nap~"

"Oh!" The pegasus shouted with excitement. "Is it time for his nap? I have a few beds that would do wonders for him." She offered with genuine sweetness.

"But I'm not tired!" Spike shouted quickly as Twilight started rocking him in her magic.

"That's awfully kind of you, but really, we need to get home. Don't let me keep you, bye!" Twilight exclaimed as she hastened her steps, much to the diminishing protests of the shy pegasus.

Once the duo was well out of sight of Fluttershy's home, Twilight had set Spike upon her back as she began the long trot home.

"Come on Twilight, it's only mid-day!" Spike exclaimed in protest.

"I'm sorry Spike, but we don't have time! Unless we prepare for what's to come, everypony the world over will be in danger!" Twilight retorted.

"You're also supposed to be making friends." Spike added

Twilight actually snorted at this. "That's just a suggestion the princess gave me," She replied. "Besides, I have friends."

"Family doesn't count Twi," Twilight pouted for all of a second before holding her head up high. "And neither does Pony Joe." Spike stated, shooting Twilight down.

"Look, I know the princess means well, but I just don't have time for friends. Not when I have much more important research that needs tending to."

The two continued on their way in silence, the town still loud and alive as preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration began reaching completion.