• Published 17th Sep 2018
  • 6,312 Views, 58 Comments

Together - silvercrystal432

  • ...
18
 58
 6,312

First day

Author's Note:

This is a flashback of Daybreakers first day ruling without Twilight.... It goes as well as you expect it to.

One day since Twilight's death

Daybreaker woke up in a cold sweat, she was breathing heavily and panting. She woke up having a nightmare about Twilight dying in her hooves. She looked over at the side of the bed that Twilight slept on and saw it empty.

Tears rolled down Daybreaker's face freely, knowing that her nightmare was real and that Twilight was gone. Taken from her in a day.

Daybreaker began to wail in pain over the loss of her beloved Twilight. "Twilight!, I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you!" Her sobs rang throughout the castle.

Guards and maids on duty that heard the crying also shed a tear for Twilight. After Twilight's death, the castle became void of all happiness. There was never a dry face in the castle after they heard the news of what happened.

As Daybreaker was crying a knock came from the door. "Sister?, are you alright?" Luna asked worried.

"What do you think, Luna! I lost the most important pony in my life and I've been crying ever since about it!" Daybreaker yelled.

Luna winced at the words but was determined to make her sister feel better. "I'm coming in sister."

The door opened and Luna saw her disheveled sister on the bed crying to herself. She walked up to her sister and placed a comforting hoof on her back doing her best to sooth her sister. "It will be alright sister, things will get better, I promise."

Luna was having trouble holding back her own tears at the moment, but soon enough she too fell pray to her sadness and held her sister close as they cried. This went on for several minutes before they both ran out of tears.

They parted from the hug still teary eyed. "I'm sorry for putting this on you Luna." Daybreaker said sadly.

"*Sniff* It's alright sister, you need to let it out, it will take time. How much, I don't know, but things will get better sister. I promise." Luna did her best to comfort her sister in any way she could.

"No it won't! It will never get better! I lost the one pony I truly loved because I was weak and couldn't protect her! So tell me, how, HOW WILL THINGS GET BETTER!" Daybreaker had tears rolling down her face as her fiery mane cracked wildly.

Luna's mouth opened and closed multiple times as she tried find an answer.... But couldn't. "I-I-I, don't know." Luna's head hung low as a tear fell down her already tear soaked face, hitting the bed.

Looking at her sister, Daybreaker realized what she did and pulled Luna in to an embrace and held her close. "I'm sorry sister that I yelled at you, it's just I won't ever get over her death. Rushing over to her and holding her dying form in my hooves is something that I will never forget for as long as I live."

All Luna did was close her eyes and held her sister close to comfort her.

After several minutes they broke the embrace and Luna got off the bed. "We should get ready for the day sister."

Daybreaker looked up to Luna. "Alright, but I need to do something first." Her voice was hoarse from all the crying.

Luna nodded. "Take all the time you need, I will be in the dining hall waiting for you." Luna opened the bedroom door and gave one last glance at her sister before leaving and closing the door.

Several minutes went by before Daybreaker finally decided to get up and get ready. Once she was ready she walked out of her room and headed towards the gardens. She knew exactly what she was going to do first.

When Daybreaker arrived at the garden she slowly walked up to the cherry blossom tree that she buried Twilight under. Her eyes landed on the gravestone that she placed after she buried Twilight.

Her lies Twilight Sparkle
Princess, smart, adorable, and faithful lover to the end
Always had her nose in a book and dreamed bigger than anypony in the world

After reading the text on the gravestone, Daybreaker was doing her best to hold in her tears as she sat down in front of the grave.

"Hello Twily. You will not believe how much I miss you, not a second goes by that your not in my mind. I got a message from Cadance saying she will be visiting soon............... Why? Why did you have be taken from me!?" Daybreaker slammed her hoof into the ground out of sadness and anger while her mane cracked and whipped wildly. "What did I do to deserve this? Why couldn't it have been me instead, I would do anything to see you again Twily, and I mean anything." Tears freely fell down her face as she spoke. "If only I had loved you just a little bit more, made your day that much more special, and cherished you a lot more, then maybe you wouldn't have been taken from me. I just miss you so much, I know that its only been a day since you passed, but it feels so much longer. Know that I will forever love you and only you." A final tear fell when she finished.

Daybreaker sat at Twilight's grave with her head down, silently crying. Eventually Daybreaker got up and wiped away her tears with her wing. She looked at the grave one last time before leaving. "I will be here again tomorrow Twily, I promise."

Walking out of the gardens and back into the castle, Daybreaker went towards the dining hall. When she opened the doors she saw her sister waiting at the table like she said she would.

Looking up from her newspaper Luna saw her sister. "What took so long sister?"

Daybreaker turned her head away sadly. "I went to see Twilight."

Luna's face fell. "Oh, I shouldn't have said anything."

"No no, its ok Luna, you didn't mean anything by it." Daybreaker walked up to the table and sat down across from her sister and ate a piece of toast with syrup. Both sisters ate their breakfast in silence.

When they finished their food they got up from the table and made their way towards the door to the throne room. "Are you ready to begin court sister?"

Daybreaker let out a sigh. "I just want to get this over with."

During court Daybreaker was getting very annoyed and angry over what the petitioners wanted. But the biggest thing that got Daybreaker the most was the question if she was going to take on a another student, it got so bad to the point that she turned some of the ponies that asked the question into ash out of anger. After that everyone stopped asking that question all together out of fear.

When court finally ended Daybreaker walked back to her room and slammed the doors shut. Falling onto the bed Daybreaker cried over Twilight again. "I'm so sorry Twilight, I miss you so much. I wish I could hold you in my hooves again and tell you how much you I love you."

After awhile, Daybreaker cried herself to sleep.