• Published 25th Aug 2018
  • 2,668 Views, 159 Comments

Sensation - Appleloosa - Vivid Syntax



It's been an eventful year since the accident took Soarin's career from him, and Braeburn remembers every moment. He may say he's content, but there's something desperate behind those bright, green eyes.

  • ...
19
 159
 2,668

Chapter 18 - Swords and Branches

Author's Note:

Author’s Note: Special thanks to L.S. Daely and Jeff for lending their indigenous perspective to this chapter and the issues within. Thanks to Fiaura the Tank Girl for additional insights.

I rolled into Appleloosa on the Tuesday supply train, and let me tell you, I was mighty sick of trains by then. Springleaf was there to receive the produce, and she, uh, greeted me as I stepped onto the platform. “Skies alive, Braeburn! Put some of that down. You’re gonna fall over!”

See, she was cross because even though my eyes were droopy and my mane was a sweaty mess, I was carrying one-and-a-half ponies’ worth of oranges. “Aw, I don’t mi–” I yawned. “–ind, Springleaf. Might as well save a trip, right?”

She whapped me on the nose with a clipboard. “The only trip you’re takin’ is to the doc when you fall asleep halfway down the stairs. Drop ‘em, Braeburn.”

I groaned. I was in no hurry to argue anymore. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Now, let me help with your things.” Springleaf’s a wonder. She’s one of the founders, and her expertise with low-water growth saved our butts during that first planting season. She insisted on carrying all my belongings. Don’t tell her, but I had a small stumble on the stairs. “You need rest, Braeburn. We’ve got a midweek town hall tomorrow, and we need your know-how.”

“Should I swing by Silverstar’s and take a look?”

“Naw. I’ll bring some paperwork this afternoon. Canterlot’s makin’ demands, and we were in the dark on how to fix it. The reading’s thick enough to hammer nails.”

We made it to my place, I had a quick check-in with Collard Green and Fruit Shine, and then I flopped into my bed as soon as I could. I didn’t sleep, mind you. Just rested my eyes.

Arriving home felt like a transition. You know how sometimes, you read a good book, and when it’s over, you find yourself just… floating in the real world? Your mind is still back in the story. You were so engrossed that reality doesn’t seem real, and now that you’re back, it takes a bit to remember what’s in front of you. That’s how it felt in my room, coming back from seeing Soarin’.

I unpacked right away. I took a beat, took a breath, and recentered myself. I was ready.

Between laundry, groceries, and working out sales contracts for my apples, I was busy clear into the afternoon. And then Springleaf brought the paperwork over. The stack thudded on my table, and I gulped. “You, uh… weren’t kiddin’ about the size of all this.”

She nodded and smirked. “Welcome back, Braeburn. No place like home, right?”

I felt warm all over my body, and I smiled back at her. “Darn tootin’!”

That legalese was a nightmare. They could’ve put a summary in it, but I suspect they wanted to weed out anypony who wasn’t dedicated to the job. Lucky for Appleloosa, I would leg-wrestle a bear if it meant keeping the town alive. I barely left my house for the next day, and when the meeting came up the following night, I was… well, still confused, but I’d made progress.

Dawn Light, Springleaf, and I were on rotation for the founders’ council, but I was only half paying attention. Mostly, I was still pouring over the documents. We sat at the council table before the crowd as I gave summaries the best I could, even though I was still up to my eyes in legal terms, and I figured the town would hate what I’d found. I cleared my throat. “Now, in order to gain representation, or more funding for that matter, Long Reign says we need to have a formal election for city council, and then we’ll need a mayor. It’ll be a headache, but–”

From the second row, Cactus Petal raised her hoof and shouted, “Hey Braeburn? You done runnin’ off to wherever the hell it is you go?”

I nearly pressed a hoof to the bridge of my nose in frustration, but I held it together. “That’s, uh, not really relevant, Ms. Petal, but yes. I’m…” The whole conversation in the hospital played in my mind again, and I gave myself a moment to really feel it. I was content with my choice. “My business out there is concluded. I plan to remain here for a while.”

“Great. I nominate Braeburn for mayor.”

“Seconded,” came Pridesong’s voice from the back.

My ears flattened and my eyes widened. “Excuse me?”

That got a small laugh from the crowd. Cactus Bloom spoke over them. “Well, I don’t want to do it. Why not you?”

“Because I’m a mess.” That one got a big laugh.

Turns out, Cactus wasn't the only one who felt that way. I reeled for a while, but the more folks spoke up about my hard work, how I never gave up, and how much I listened to everypony, the more the air tasted like electricity. I’d get a sudden question like, “Well, how do you feel about tourism?”

And I’d answer honestly, “I never want to sell out our way of life, but welcoming folks is a big part of who we are. It’s a boon to our businesses and our population, and I’m for it as long as we work hard to keep it on the rails.”

There’d be a murmur with that same charged edge, full of energy and wonder. And somepony else would ask something like, “What’s your plan for the locusts?”

“Well, Slate and I are both stockpiling ingredients for that remedy of his, and if we incorporate, Canterlot will help monitor swarm activity.”

More excited mumbling. “How about taxes?”

“Local and focused on the public good.”

“Rail expansion?”

“Lots of opportunities to the south!”

Some small cheers. “Working with Canterlot?”

“We’re proud Equestrians, but Appleloosa is our home, and we should make the big decisions.” That got the whole room cheering, and my heart swelled.

As it calmed, a stallion named Boulder spoke up in the back. “What about public decency?” The room fell quiet, and half the audience looked back at him. A lump formed in my throat, and when I didn’t answer, he added, “Y’ heard me. What about our pride? Really think we should be represented by a bachelor who–” He made a little circle with his hoof. “–y’ know, gets around.”

My face flushed as Fruit Shine countered, “C’mon, now. That ain’t fair.”

“Ain’t it? Braeburn, I’ve got no problems with you bein’ a coltcuddler, but you gotta know what they say about you, right? Outside the town? I ain't sure that’s the best pony to put our stamp of approval on.” The whole room turned their heads to me.

I leaned forward and considered it. Really considered it. There were so many things I could say. I could turn it on him and ask if he wasn’t young once. I could apologize and say I’d grown. I could get angry and call him out on his own faults. At the back of my mind, Bronze’s voice fed me a bunch of options, but in the end, I went with the most important lesson I’d learned from him. “I’m proud of who I am, Boulder.”

Half the audience tilted their head one way or the other, and there were as many raised eyebrows as there were ponies.

I sighed. “Have I made mistakes? Done things other folks don’t like? You bet your flank I have. But would I change it? That’s more complicated.” I realized I was slouching, so I sat up straighter. “This is who I am, Boulder. I’m a young bachelor. I’m gay. I got swept up in a whole media scandal that brought you a bunch of grief.” I thought of Soarin’. “But I’ve always come back. Four years I’ve been out here, trying my damndest to nurture this place, to help my neighbors like my parents taught me. Appleloosa is my home, and more than that, it’s a part of me. And that part is growin’ bigger every day. I couldn’t stop it if I tried.”

They all leaned forward towards me.

I set a firm hoof on the table. “So you’re stuck with me, like it or not. You don’t have to vote for me, Boulder.” I looked around, and the words blossomed from my mouth. “None of you do. Maybe you go back home and decide, yeah, Braeburn’s slept around too much. He drinks more than I like. You decide you want somepony else to lead, and I get no votes at all. That won’t stop me. I’m gonna do everything I can, every day, to bring Appleloosa into its own, because that’s who I am, regardless of titles. I love this town, and I love these ponies. I want Appleloosa to flourish.”

Teasingly, Pridesong spoke up again. “So… you gonna run for mayor, or what?”

The crowd held its breath. As much as I knew how often I jumped into things quickly, this one felt as right as it had with Soarin’. I chuckled. “Yeah, okay. You got me. I’m in.”

The cheers nearly blew the doors off.

I made them promise to have a real election with a debate and everything, too, since it needed to be official (if I was reading the documentation correctly). It would be a long process with all sorts of applications, but it was a start. We adjourned with an energy I'd rarely felt.

Pridesong met me at the door. “Walk ya’ home?”

“Pride,” I teased. “Folks’ll think there’s somethin’ between us if you keep doin’ that.”

“Naw, they know I’m the straightest damn stallion in this town.” Yeesh. What’s with straight folks and always shoving it in our faces?

Sorry, that was a bad joke.

I cantered next to him. "Well, in that case, I have a souvenir for you."

"Hm? I don't much like trinkets, Braeburn."

"It… ain't that, exactly. You'll see. Think of it like a thank-you for everything."

His pace picked up. I'm not sure he noticed. "My pleasure."

'I'm sure it will be.'

We chatted about nothing the rest of the walk back. Pride didn't want to come inside, on account of needing to be up early the next day. I reassured him, "Don't worry. This'll knock you right out." I grabbed the magazines from just inside and gave them over.

Pride's jaw hit the dirt. I laughed my ass off while he babbled. "You, wow, where did– That's Sapphire–" He shook it off. "You buying porno now?"

"Naw. It was a weird circumstance. They were selling it right on the street."

He looked between me and the magazines. "No foolin'?"

"Mmhm. I'll give you the whole story sometime. And if you don't want those, I'll–"

"Now hold up, I didn't say that." He quickly tucked them under his foreleg. "You're a fascinating pony, Braeburn."

"I'll take that as a compliment. Night, friend."

"Night, friend."

My dreams that night were full of promise, and maybe wondering whether Pride was gonna buy some whipped cream.

Next morning, I was out with my hired hooves, getting caught up on work and squaring my debts. Orange Horizon trotted up. "Ey, Brae? You got a moment?"

We were wrapping up anyway, so I finished my conversation and gave Orange my full attention. "Always. What's on your mind?"

"I had this idea for the town. For extending the train tracks further south, like you said. I know we haven't gotten the approvals yet, but I think we can make it work, especially if you're the mayor."

"Well, I ain't the mayor yet, but I'm happy to hear you out, Orange." The train expansion was sticky. Folks were split between wanting their crops to have more reach and keeping the town from getting crowded. We also didn't have the funds on our own, and Canterlot had been very slow to reach a recommendation, especially on account of one other major detail.

Orange continued. "We could build a shortcut, right? Split the rail so that only interested folks come into Appleloosa, but not folks who’re just passing through. We wouldn’t have train whistles at all hours, either."

"Well, the problem is getting a track that far out."

"Easy enough. Let's expand west!"

I held up a hoof. "I'll stop you right there, Orange. That's buffalo land."

"Aw, they'll come around, I bet."

I shook my head. "It ain't about comin' around, Orange. It's… complicated." All the legal paperwork whirled around in my mind again. "But we definitely need to talk to them about all these plans.” I turned towards the west, and I sighed. “Time for another round of hard conversations, I suppose."

Orange shrugged. “Well, you want to be mayor, right?”

Appleloosa and the buffalo got off to a rough start. See, when we first settled, we had no idea that the buffalo herds used this land as their ancestral stampeding grounds. It didn't come up until we'd been here a whole year, though admittedly, we would’ve figured it out if we’d been paying closer attention. And I do mean we. I don’t blame any single pony for what happened. Nopony should.

A year in, trees had been planted, buildings had been raised, and families had moved in. It came to a head during that summer, around the first harvest. The buffalo wanted their land back, and the settlers wanted their homes. Appleloosans argued that the buffalo only used the land for a few minutes once a year, so they weren't really the stewards of the land. The buffalo argued back that they had been there since “time immemorial,” as they call it, and that it was integral to who they are, and that we'd stolen it from them. Frankly, I think we're in the wrong here, and I would move the whole town if I could.

The one grace is that most of their route runs through my orchard, so I got to make the call for our side. We settled on a compromise: we would clear the trees and the few buildings from their ancestral path, and we would offer them apples and pies once a year in exchange for their assistance knocking the apples loose. I think it worked because each side could feel like they were the owners. For the buffalo, they got their tradition back, and we have healthy commerce and trade; they help us, and we help them. For Appleloosa, most folks feel like it's our land now, as long as we respect the agreement and give back the stampeding path. As for me, I'm not the creature that should decide what's right and wrong. The best I can do is listen, do my best to do right by the buffalo, and take care of the ponies in my charge.

And that means ensuring everyone a seat at the table. I let folks know I intended to contact the buffalo. They would be nearby, since their annual stampede was only a few weeks away, and their summer home was about a two-day journey from Appleloosa. We hoped that Strongheart, one of their leaders and (I'm proud to say) a friend of mine, would let us interrupt for a few minutes, at least.

I brought it up at the weekly town hall a few days later. This one wasn’t so well-attended. They usually aren’t unless trouble is brewing. As they say, the world is run by those who show up.

Officially, it was supposed to be Dawn, Tinker, and Copper running this one as part of our founders’ rotation. Dawn and Copper were happy to be in the audience, though, since both Trail and I had reason to be present. Once we got past the agenda and headcount, I opened it up. “Folks, just one big idea today before we open it up for Community Voices: with this incorporation, we’ll have to reexamine our relationship with the buffalo.”

The crowd nodded. Most of them already had opinions, but the fact that I hadn’t gotten shouted down meant they were still of open minds.

I looked through my notes again. “The fact is, Appleloosa is growing, and we’ve got a lot to be proud of. Canterlot seems content to let us manage our relationships out here, but that comes with a lot of responsibility for bein’ good stewards and good neighbors. It’s important for our friends to know we’re lookin’ out for them, especially as circumstances change.”

Sandstone, a fairly new addition to the town, spoke up. “You givin’ away our autonomy, Braeburn?”

“Absolutely not, but I ain’t about to take autonomy away from the buffalo, either. Bad blood leads to more bad blood.”

“It’s our land, Braeburn.”

My neck felt hot. A statement like that is a minefield, and especially if I was considering being mayor, I had to navigate it carefully. “If by ‘ours,’ you mean ponies and buffalo, then yes, Sandstone. Keep in mind: we settled here without their permission.”

Sandstone huffed. “And whose fault is that, Braeburn?”

“Mine,” Trailblazer said authoritatively. The room went dead quiet. Between his sepia coat and wheat-colored mane, he looked like he was straight out of an old photo, especially with that scowl on his face. He folded his forelegs and leaned forward. “It’s my fault and mine alone, Sandstone, so if you’ve got a problem, take it up with me.”

Words rose to my throat, but this was a matter of pride, so to speak. I knew not to interrupt a stallion when he was owning up to something.

Sandstone stood up. “My problem is that we’re paying rent instead of owning this land.”

“What’s done is done, Sandstone.” Trail shook his head. “You don’t gotta live here. But if you want to, then you can’t ignore reality: we settled on buffalo land, and we owe it to them to treat ‘em fairly as possible.”

Sandstone tightened his lips. “Maybe you shoulda thought of that before setting up a whole town here, then.”

Trail just nodded. “I made a bad call, folks. I know it. It’s… a stain on my legacy, and a big one at that.” His head dipped down. “I’m the stallion that invaded buffalo lands. If the history books remember my name, that’s what it’ll be for.”

The room felt darker, and I couldn’t help myself. I cut in. “And he’s already apologized for it, up and down and every which way.”

“And I’ll be apologizin’ for it until I die. Heck, probably beyond that if I get any say in my obituary.” Trail looked back out at the crowd. “I ignored the hoof prints. I knew what they meant, deep in the back of my mind, and I still told the group to settle here, since it was the flattest land we’d found. I shouldn’t be surprised that we weren’t the first ones here. Like Braeburn, I want the buffalo to have a say in what happens. There’s a lot of wisdom in folks that have been here for generations already.”

Sandstone snorted. “I ain’t givin’ up my home and my plans for the sake of some outsiders that charge through here once a year.”

Trailblazer’s shoulders tightened, so I took the lead, before his head blew off. “Well, I think a lot of folks would agree that we’re the outsiders, Sandstone, but that’s why we’re here to have the discussion. The fact that you showed up means you care, and we owe it to you to hear you out, just like you owe it to us to consider what we’re proposin’.” I didn’t like playing the country versus city card, but sometimes folks need to feel exceptional to feel heard. “That’s what we all have in common out here, right? We ain’t chasin’ bits or fame. We’re after a good life, and that means helping each other in a way that nopony in Canterlot can understand. So, let’s figure out what we offer and what we want.”

That was a long, long meeting, but I’m grateful for the discussion we had. There was no chance we’d ever make everypony happy. That’s the thing about compromise, though: you don’t get everything you want. If you do it right, though, everyone gets what they need. The most contentious points of discussion were the land acknowledgment (which Trailblazer insisted on) and seats on the future council to be reserved for members of the buffalo tribe. We got to a decent spot, though. We agreed that the negotiations would be in the open, in front of anypony who wanted to attend, and that they would be held in Appleloosa. I knew I was setting myself up for a lot of stress, but it had to be done.

After the meeting adjourned, I felt dizzy, like my brain had been through an apple press. Trailblazer saw me and asked, “Heard you’re tryin’ to quit, but that was a hell of a meeting. Can I buy you a beer?”

I thought back to the flask of whisky I’d split with Pa. Addict that I am, I convinced myself one wouldn’t hurt. “Yeah, but keep me to just one, y’ hear?”

It was a quiet night at the Salt Block. Pride was playing slow songs with Grassy Ridge on the banjo, and the mood was relaxed. Trail and I grabbed a seat, and he ordered a couple beers.

As we waited, he looked at me. “Lots of work ahead, I’d wager.” He was leaning on the table with his forelegs folded again. His body always seemed tighter since the first contact with the buffalo. I still hope he can forgive himself someday.

“Don’t I know it,” I agreed with a sigh.

Trail started to say something, but Raindrop had stepped up to us. She’s part-owner of the general store, and it didn’t surprise me what was on her mind. “Evenin’ colts! Sorry to bother, but I had a couple questions about those buffalo negotiations. That okay, Braeburn?”

Trail shook his head. “Give the stallion a break, Raindrop. It’s been a long night already.”

I held up a hoof. “It’s okay, Trail. Folks deserve to be heard.”

Raindrop grimaced and paused. She waved a hoof back. “Oh, no, he’s right, Braeburn. I could have spoken up at the meeting. You colts enjoy yourselves. I’ll catch you later.” She bowed and was gone before I could protest.

I laughed and looked at Trail. “I gotta hire you as my bouncer.”

He smiled at me as a waitress delivered our beers. There was an extra shot of whisky included for each of us on the side, but when I asked, Trail just shrugged. The waitress clarified, “Compliments of Handlebar. He appreciates the work you two do.”

I stared down at that shot and made my decision immediately. ‘It would be rude to refuse.’ The pang of guilt was easy enough to ignore in the face of being polite, which I think says something about society. And me, of course. I promised myself I would take it easy.

We toasted to the work ahead of us and had our shots. Our chasers were beer and a pleasant conversation.

At one point, Trail asked, “Who’s gonna be the runner?” He was referring to communicating with the buffalo. Strongheart had told a few of us their locations and seasonal migration, so we could find them if needed. It showed a lot of trust.

I nodded. “I figure you, me, and Dawn. We’ve got the most level heads, I reckon.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Is it worth your time, Braeburn? There’s lots to do here, and it’s over a day each way, even if we hurry.”

I drained the rest of my beer. It was a strong, sweet ale that was grown from our local hops supply, and it had an almost fruity start and bright finish that covered up the punch of bitterness sandwiched between. “I’m sure, Trail. This trip is worth it.” We spent the rest of the evening talking about everything from our approach to how we’d kick off negotiations.

If we were going to negotiate, though, there was something I needed, and I knew just where to get it. A couple days later, I brought Dawn Light with me as a witness. You could lose her in the first rays of morning sunshine like that; her pink coat and blonde mane radiated the type of beauty that drives the straight stallions wild. Together, we walked to one side of the orchard with carts and bushels to meet an old friend.

"Hey there, Russell." I gave his trunk a gentle tap, and I could practically feel his apples quivering as his boughs bent to gravity's pull. "I got a real important job for you this year. Think you can handle it?"

Dawn snickered at me, but I ignored it.

Russell stood strong. He's always been an early bloomer. I named him because his leaves are the loudest when the wind blows through, being at the edge of the orchard like he is. He's also a gala tree, which makes me smile these days. Late July like that, he was already full of apples just waiting to fall.

I took a few turns around his trunk, evaluating the apples that looked ready. 'Small bug bite on that one. The one on the right has a strong stem, might be hard to get. Ooh, that one– no, some rough color on the bottom.' You can't rush these things, especially when they're for someone else. Dawn waited patiently, smiling as I made my laps and looked at the branches from all different angles.

I thought about getting a ladder, but the shiver in my spine told me I wasn't ready for that.

"There we are," I whispered as I spied my choice. It wasn't picture-perfect, but it had character, shine, a deep red color, and no evidence of bruising. Plus, it was hanging by a thread at the end of a branch, and its siblings weren't quite ripe yet, so I wasn't likely to screw it up. "Keep an eye out, Dawn. I might miss."

She snorted a little laugh. "Naw, you won't."

Her confidence aside, my stomach rattled like it was full of rocks. I set my hat – the new, blue one I’m wearing right now, in fact – I set it down right below that apple and made a little nest with some grasses. Paying no mind to Dawn's chortles, I traced the branch with my eyes, then felt along Russel's trunk. A few knocks against it, and I knew the spot to buck. "Right here."

My heart picked up the pace as I took my stance. I looked over my shoulder once, then relaxed, closed my eyes, and steadied myself. I raised my hind leg, feeling the muscles coil and gather strength. The temptation to let loose was like a teenager’s voice in my head, but I kept it under control, and with an exhale, I gave Russell one swift, light buck, right on the mark. I swear, I could feel the vibrations travel up his trunk, into the branch, and into the stem of that apple, letting it drop like a tooth falling out. It landed perfectly in the middle of my hat with just the slightest pfit.

Dawn Light sat and clapped her hooves together. "And here you were, worried."

I held my head high and grinned. "I've had some practice."

"Lotta work for one apple, though."

Playfully, I knocked her shoulder with mine. "With an attitude like that, it's no wonder I'm in charge of the food."

She responded by flipping my mane over my face. "Okay, apple expert. Have we messed around enough to start filling some bushels?"

I retrieved my prize, enshrined it in a small box, and stuck my hat back on my head. "Indeed we have."

Russell and his neighbors happily provided eight bushels. Before long, we had everything we needed, and Trailblazer met us on the edge of town with a big wave. With little more than a last look at Appleloosa, the three of us headed off into the wilderness in the early morning sun.

We didn’t say too much, partly on account of wanting to save our energy, and partly due to spending so much time together already. There’s a level of comfort that you need to walk in silence with somepony, and after four years of building up Appleloosa, we were about as comfortable as friends could be. There’s a lot to be said for ponies that can work on a project that big and stay friends.

Dawn pulled the biggest cart, but if anything, she was the one setting the pace. Trailblazer carried the least, since he was doing the tracking and keeping an eye out for any signs of trouble. He walked out ahead, and Dawn walked close to me a few hours in. “No idea how much use the buffalo have for wood, but I can build a structure if it sweetens the deal.”

“That’s mighty kind, Dawn,” I replied. “Keep that in your back pocket. I ain’t sure how they’d take to that, since it’d be harder to migrate with something rooted in place. Maybe we can set up something along their stampede route.”

“Wouldn’t want to get in the way of their run, of course.” She lowered her voice. “Think Trail is gonna be okay?”

I looked forward. Trailblazer was about fifty paces ahead, and his head was on a swivel. Even out in the sun for so many hours like that, he was focused on his job. I wondered if he was like me, and it was something to keep the thoughts away. “I think this’ll be good for him. Give him a chance to make things right.”

“Don’t let him go too far.”

I skipped a step. “How do you mean?”

“Darkness on the soul, Braeburn. He’s a good pony. He wants to set things right. I’m worried he’ll get tunnel vision, though, and put you in a bad spot.”

“Put us in a bad spot, Dawn. I ain’t the town.”

“Ain’t you?”

That got me to full-on stop. “No, Dawn. I’m not.”

She eased to a stop, too. “Braeburn, for all intents and purposes during negotiations, you are.”

I shook my head. “We’ve got three of us here. We’re all founders.”

“And only one of us wants to be mayor.” She sat in the dirt and caught her breath. “I don’t mean to pressure you unfairly, Braeburn. That’s how it is, though. Somepony has to make the call in the end. I’ll support you where I can, but I just know wood and tools. You’re the one who’s got other folks figured out.”

My ears dropped. “I really don’t think I do. I’m just willing to try and bumble through it.”

“And that’s why you’re in charge. ‘Those who show up,’ right?”

“Hey!” Trailblazer called back. “You two alright?” He turned his cart around and headed back for us.

Dawn called to him. “Yeah, just needed a breather.” She whispered to me. “We got faith in you, Braeburn. Just make the right call.”

“Heh,” I laughed nervously. “If only it were that easy.”

We broke for a light lunch, and the rest of the day was uneventful. Trailblazer found a rocky outcrop for us to set up camp nearby. After he helped us arrange our tent to preserve heat, he set up a condensation net to get us some extra water overnight. Dinner was simple, and it was full of laughs as we reminisced about that first autumn out in the desert, all alone. Dawn had brought some whisky. I only took a few pulls – again, using politeness to mask desire – and Trail wanted to keep a clear head, so Dawn had more than she intended, and she fell asleep first. I will say, the temptation was strong that night, and I resisted having more when Dawn offered. I gotta celebrate the little victories, too.

I took some water, and Trail stirred the fire with his shoulders slumped inward. I took a deep breath, double-checked that Dawn was out cold, and whispered, “You don’t gotta beat yourself up so much, Trail.”

“I’m gonna make it right.” He held his poker in the fire and looked right at me. The orange light reflected in those glassy eyes of his. His eyebrows were knit. “So help me, Braeburn, I’m gonna fix my mistakes.”

I frowned. “You gotta let some of that stuff go, Trail. It’ll eat you hollow.”

“Maybe it should.” He looked back at the fire and idly poked at it. “Maybe it’s what I deserve.”

I scooted closer and threw a foreleg around his shoulder. “Trail…”

He laughed. “You gonna make a move on me, Braeburn? I might not compare to Flint, but I’ve got the endurance of a stallion twice my size.”

I snorted. “I didn’t know you swung my way.”

“Nah, I’m just pullin’ your leg.”

The air grew cold and stiff between us as he went back to tending the fire. I kept my foreleg around him as I said, “We all make mistakes, Trail.”

“Do we? Do we all invade a whole nation of good creatures and disrupt an entire way of life?”

“Well, in this case, yeah, we all kinda did.”

“Bad choice of words.” He sighed. “I appreciate it, Braeburn, but I gotta do this for me. I’ll make it right.”

Something about his tone had an edge to it. “We are gonna make it right, Trail. I know…” I tried to put myself in his hooves, and I thought back to when I was at my lowest, when I thought I had screwed everything up myself, and I remembered some wise words. “You’ve got a team out here, Trail. We help each other. That’s how we survive.”

“Will you let me at least say my piece to the buffalo, Braeburn?”

Dawn’s words echoed in my head. “As long as it doesn’t hurt the town, Trail. Keep in mind: we’re responsible for all of Appleloosa right now.”

His head hung. He looked back into the fire. “Sure. You’re right.” He set his poker down. “We should get some sleep.” He shrugged off my foreleg and made for bed faster than I could comprehend. “Night, Braeburn.”

I sat next to the fire a moment longer. “Night, Trail.” The stars were beautiful that night, like always. I fell quickly asleep while Trail tossed and turned.

Morning saw a quick breakfast. I checked Russel’s first apple, which was still safe in its box, along with the bushels. We headed out without any trouble.

We didn’t need to travel for long, though. Within the hour, we saw a large cloud of yellow-brown dust moving towards us, and we could feel the ground shake beneath our hooves. Trailblazer stopped and turned his head, then nodded me and Dawn forward. She gave me a wide gesture and a little, “After you, Mister Mayor.” I chuckled and walked to the front of our pack.

I could tell Strongheart from a mile away, which ain’t an exaggeration. She’s grown into a fine leader within her tribe, and even with how big she’s grown, she hasn’t lost even a step of her natural agility. Good thing, too. They stopped on a bit, right in front of us. As the dust cleared, she tipped her head to us. "It is good to see you again, Braeburn, Dawn Light, Trailblazer."

I'd already removed my hat and bowed to each of them. "Likewise to you Strongheart, Water Giver, Wrestler.” Each of them had names in their own language, of course, but Strongheart recommended we use the translated names to avoid slip-ups. To her credit, she’s organized language lessons for a few folks in town, and I hope to become fluent one day. “Thank you for meeting us out here. Great timing, too."

"We saw your fire last night. It is our pleasure to see you here. What brings you?"

"We'd like to discuss some changes in Appleloosa. May we enter your lands and talk?"

She smiled. "You are welcome to."

"Great! But first things first…" I turned to our carts, where Trailblazer stood stiff as a board. For the moment, I thought nothing of it. “We’ve got a little gift for you.” I gently grabbed Russel’s first apple, which was in a little covered box, and I presented it to Strongheart.

She accepted it, opened it, and smiled. “Thank you, Braeburn.” She looked at the bushels we had with us. “But I think the bushels will save you some trouble.”

“Nothin’ doin’.” I stopped myself when I remembered not to use idioms. “Sorry, but that one’s special. That’s the very first apple of the season. We want you to have it.”

“I was wondering what the extra effort was all about. It is much appreciated.” She looked down at the apple. “This is a gift, yes? And we can do with it as we want?”

I nodded. “Absolutely. All yours.”

“Great.” She pulled a gourd full of water from her side, then carefully washed her hooves. When they were clean, she gripped the apple firmly. “Hrng…” With a twist, it split in two, and she broke it further into six pieces, three of which she offered back to us.

My heart swelled. Despite the iciness I felt from Trailblazer next to me, I had hope.

After our snack and a few more pleasantries, the buffalo led us into their camp. We didn’t all speak the same language, but Strongheart helped us translate. The buffalo were marvelous hosts. They ensured all our needs were provided for, prepared a meal, and offered us a blanket for our return trip. We tried to decline, but Strongheart warmly told us that it would be rude not to accept.

For our part, we gave the buffalo the apples and promised them that this wouldn’t count towards their annual payment. These were special, along with the cinnamon and little bit of cardamom we’d brought. I could tell their mouths were watering – they did enjoy our spiced pies, after all – and we showed them how we make fire-baked apples for dessert, even though it was only about ten in the morning.

We finally got down to business after the buffalo took away the remnants of our meal. A dark-brown, graying buffalo approached. Her face was sunken at the sides, but as she walked, the other buffalo gave her space and reverence. She sat in front of the fire and the three of us. Dawn sat up straight, and I thought Trailblazer would fall over. I set my shoulders and paid attention.

Strongheart bowed her head and introduced us. “This is one of our elders. You may call her Mountain.” She said something to Mountain that I couldn’t understand, except for, “Braeburn, Dawn, and Trailblazer.”

Mountain nodded to us. “Dawn is a beautiful name. Braeburn means apple, yes?”

The weight of her words felt like lead on my shoulders, and I spoke like a colt who’d knocked over Granny’s vase. “Yes, ma’am. It’s a type of apple.”

“I understand. Trailblazer, I do not. What is the meaning?”

Trail went white. “It means an explorer. Somepony– Somebody who finds new lands.”

She raised an eyebrow. “But you settled in ours. These are very old lands.”

Trailblazer’s mouth opened. I saw his eye flick back and forth, and sweat rolled off of him. Quietly, he said, “I’m sorry.”

“Why?”

Trail’s jaw chattered. “Because, I… I’m…”

Dawn cut in. “He’s sorry for all of us, ma’am.” She took a deep breath. “He’s sorry that we settled on your land.”

“I told them to settle here,” Trailblazer interrupted. The entire camp went quiet, and everyone looked right at him. “I was the scout. I found the spot, and I ignored the signs that y’all lived here. I’m truly, truly sorry.”

Mountain stared at him, studying him. With no other regard, she turned back to me. “What business do you bring today?”

I thought Trailblazer would cry. His breathing was short, and his eyes darted all around. But I had to keep going. “Appleloosa has decided to change how we run ourselves. We’ll cooperate more with Canterlot.”

Mountain barely moved. “That is where the pony leader lives, yes?”

“That’s right.” I took a deep breath and forced my shoulders to relax. “There are some big changes coming to the town. We want to consult with you before we make any decisions.”

She didn't miss a beat. “When you say consult, do you mean you will tell us what you are doing? Or we will tell you what you can do?”

“We’ll need to–”

“We’ll do whatever it takes to make it right!” Trail blurted out. The eyes swiveled back to him, and Dawn and I held our breath.

Mountain turned her head. “You will dismantle your home and move away?” When Trailblazer went stiff again, she faced Dawn. “Does this pony speak for Appleloosa?”

“No, Mountain,” Dawn said.

“Then who does?”

My jaw clenched. I glanced at Trailblazer, whose eyes had unfocused, and I realized he was beyond my capacity at the moment. As sorry as I was for him, he couldn't be my focus. I looked back to Mountain. “Well, that’s part of the problem. We don’t have formal leadership. Right now we have a council.”

“Then how can we trust your words will have power in Appleloosa?”

I was stunned at how quickly she dismantled any authority I thought I'd had. I don't blame her, though. She had to ensure her people's safety, just like we did.

She was right, of course. None of us had any formal power, and the founders’ council would, by necessity, give up what little we had for the new system.

Dawn came to the rescue again. Sort of. “We’re selecting a new leader, and Braeburn is expected to win.”

This gave Mountain pause. "So Braeburn will be your leader?" She looked at me with eyes that were so heavy, my legs nearly buckled. Dawn, Trail, and practically every other buffalo followed her lead.

They wanted me to commit to a decision. They wanted to know that somebody was in charge, was thinking hard about what would happen, and ultimately, would be responsible if things didn’t work out. After everything with the media scandal, I’d grown averse to sudden bursts of attention, but this was something else. With all eyes on me, I think it was the first time I truly felt what it would be like to be mayor.

It felt… strange, to say the least. I didn't want to feign confidence, but I had to face facts: I wasn't just another pony in Appleloosa anymore. It wasn't even that I was a founder. I had to believe that, deep down, I was the best pony to lead, and that’s a terrifying sword to see lying in front of you.

I admit, I hesitated in my own mind. Bronze’s voice echoed in my head. “King Braeburn.” The night he gave me that black eye. He’d been screaming about the town, how they thought I had to have everything my own way. Who was I to think that highly of myself? How dare I deign to be a leader?

And yet, Appleloosa needed a leader. It needed somepony to pick up that sword, and do it for the right reasons. The thing about power, I’ve learned, is that you can’t just have it. You have to use it, because if you don’t, things go off the rails right quick. In a way, I was already using that power – what did it say that I, of all ponies, had decided we need to open difficult negotiations to avoid heartache in the long run? No, I wasn’t ready to be leader, not yet, but I was willing to reach for that sword before it was lost to rust.

I spoke to myself as much as I spoke to her. "The choice is ultimately the town's, Mountain. I have every intention to become the leader, and most of Appleloosa supports me.” A truth that bolstered my resolve. “I can't guarantee the outcome any more than I can guarantee the rains, but I will do everything I can to do right by my town, and I want to do right by you, too."

Mountain looked me over. She nodded. "Do not forget the promises you make. I hope we will speak of these matters again." She looked over the herd. "Chief Thunderhooves is not here. We will discuss with him our terms for negotiation, and we, too, will be fair. However, we must discuss with the leader of Appleloosa, and for that, you must have a leader. We will meet after yours has been selected."

I nodded back. "That's fair. That might take months, though."

"We can be patient. In the meantime, you are welcome to stay overnight.”

We politely declined their offer, partly on account of how sick Trailblazer looked. Ultimately, we agreed that we couldn’t hold negotiations until we had a mayor, and we’d have to finalize the town charter after that. It would be a small headache to work through the bureaucracy out of order like that, but I resolved to make it work.

I think that’s what Appleloosa needed: a strong-headed leader who was too stubborn to let problems lie, but who could learn to navigate complex relationships outside the town’s borders, be they in the buffalo lands or in Canterlot. For Appleloosa’s wellbeing, and for my own, I needed to become that stallion.