• Published 18th Aug 2018
  • 839 Views, 17 Comments

PlutoVerse: Tirek's Arc - Vchart920



With certain events starting to take place, Celestia and Luna have no choice but to attempt to reform Tirek. Unfortunately for Rarity, she's been the one chosen to take on the task.

  • ...
9
 17
 839

Setting the Scene

Author's Note:

Ok, so, I realized I hadn't uploaded in six months, oops. So much has happened at the beginning of the year and I completely forgot about my stories until I was reminded not long ago. So very sorry for the late update! Hope this chapter makes up for the wait.

Rarity and Twilight arrived at the school with Spike already waiting. “Morning! Tirek isn’t with you?”

“He’s doing some reading in the library,” Twilight answered. “We’re only here to drop off some supplies and see how everything's coming along.”

“Great so far. Everyone is especially excited for the school play. That was a great suggestion.”

“I must agree,” Rarity chimed in. “Do you have any idea on what story you're going to use?”

Spike tapped his chin in thought. “Well, there’s the Odyssey, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Dracula-”

“No!” The two mares snapped in unison.

Twilight’s voice spoke out, “No vampires.”

Spike shrugged. “If you say so.” He looked at this list. “There’s still Beauty and the Beast. That’s a classic.”

Rarity’s eyes shone with interest. “Oh! That is one of the most romantic stories! A tale of a gorgeous mare that falls in love with a cursed stallion.” A dreamy sigh escaped her.

Spike's eyes lit up when she said this. Even after a few years, he still had a crush on her. Though, he wasn't always trying to seek her affection like he did before. “I think that's a great idea! What do you say, Twilight?”

The mare gave a slight roll of her eyes. It always seemed like life was taunting her at one turn or another. She decided to give in anyway. Spending anymore time discussing this was not something she felt like doing at the moment. “Let’s go with that one, then. Spike, do you think you can find a copy of the script?”

“Sure thing! If nothing else, I can always ask Knight. She’ll have a copy for sure.”

“Rarity, you think you’re up to making the costumes?” Twilight knew she didn’t have to ask, but seeing her friend beam with excitement at the offer always made her smile.

A plan already formed in Rarity’s mind, picturing the characters and all the different styles of clothing she could use and come up with. “I’d be delighted to!” A thought popped into her head a moment. “But what about Tirek?”

Twilight glanced to her and smirked. “I don’t know. What do you think?”

The unicorn halted a moment and tapped her chin, thinking back to the friendship lessons they had all taught. “Oh! How about we have him help the other students build the stage and the setups?”

Twilight agreed. “That sounds like a great idea. Why don’t you go grab him and introduce him to the students? I’ll be around if you need anything.” Twilight and Spike made their way into the school while Rarity headed back to the castle.

Upon returning, Rarity could hear Evening excitedly talk and ramble on about stories that Twilight had told her. Glancing into the library showed Tirek was listening with intent to the young alicorn. “-And all she had to do was use what she knew about friendship to finish Starswirl’s spell and earn her wings! Mom’s always told me it took her a lot of hard work, determination, and having friends to help you through the best and worst of times to get to where she is now!”

Tirek’s brows furrowed in confusion. “That is all Twilight had to do, finish one of Starswirl’s spells? Why could he not finish it himself?”

“He didn’t understand what friendship truly meant. He may have had the pillars, but they weren’t close like my mom and her friends are.”

“That’s ridiculous, saying that friendship is such a powerful force to be able to perform incredible tasks and feats.”

Evening cocked her head at him a moment. “You haven’t had any friends in your life, have you? Maybe get some and you’ll see!” A smile pulled at the corners of her lips. Tirek only narrowed his eyes and huffed.

Rarity decided this was a good time to stop Evening from pushing anymore buttons. “Have you been telling him stories since I’ve been gone?”

Evening gave a proud nod. “Well, he did ask a few things and I may have ended up rambling more than I intended to.”

“I hope it didn’t bother him too much.” She gave Tirek a quick glare. “I’m afraid I’m going to have to take him. We’re setting up a play at the school. Twilight needs our help.”

“Ok! Bye Aunt Rarity, bye Tirek.” Evening hopped off the table and trotted off.

“What are we going to be doing?” Tirek questioned, hoping he was going to have something to do besides sitting around. He stood up to follow her out of the castle and toward the school.

“Twilight and the other students are setting up a play for Ponyville. You’re going to help them build the stage and all the backdrops. I’ll be close by making the costumes.”

“Better than sitting with nothing to do.”

“Glad to hear it! First, I’m going to have you meet the students that you’ll be building with.”

He should have known better than to think he would be doing it himself. Perhaps this would be a good time to practice what he had read, make them think he’s actually trying. Would it be too obvious? Did he have any other choice? No, no he didn’t. “Fine.”

Hearing this was a bit of a surprise for Rarity, she expected him to argue and be stubborn to the idea. At least this would make it easier on both of them. Rarity led him through the school, giving him a quick tour in the process while waiting for the students to meet them.

A commotion caught their attention. An argument broke out down the hall, and she knew the voices anyway. “Oh, dear. I wonder what they’re arguing about.”

“Those colors are off!” Sandbar slammed his hoof against the ground, glaring at his friend.

Silverstream returned a dismissive sneer. “That’s because you’re not seeing the expression in how the colors mingle!”

“This isn’t some art show! The play is set in 18th century Prance!”

“In a magical castle!” Her brush waved about spraying paint everywhere.

“Hey! Watch it! You’ll ruin my robe!” Smolder roared as she shielded her blue, gold lined robe from the drips of color flying about.

Gallus quickly pounced on her and ripped it from her grasp. “You mean my robe.”

“I called dibs!” Smolder kicked about and attempted to wriggle from the grasp of his claws.

His grip only tightened as she moved. “The beast is a guy, you’re a girl.”

“So! Twilight said cross-dressing happens all the time in theater!”

“Not in this play!” Smolder inhaled deeply and let out a massive flame searing the tip of Gallus beak.

He flew straight up, staring at Smolder with fear and concern. “Are you trying to kill me?!”

She rolled her wrists and shoulders a moment before spreading her wings. “If that’s what it takes.” In a few flaps, she was hot on his tail. The two swooping and soaring about, the robe trailing behind Gallus as Smolder’s claws snapped for it.

“Friends stop fighting! Play has many roles, one for all!” Yona trounced about, attempting to stop both fights. A trail of thread and needle flowing behind her, attached to her pin stuck dress as she moved about.

“Yona! Stop!” Ocellus flutter swiftly behind her. “I haven’t finished fitting your dress!”

Taking a hard turn as she followed Smolder and Gallus, her back hoof slammed against a step ladder, knocking the open bucket of green paint onto the freshly painted set. “My trees!”

“Looks better already.” Sandbar grinned smugly. The robe once sweeping behind Gallus soon wrapped itself around him during a barrel roll, pressing his wings against his side. Smolder dove after him and barely managed to slow his fall as the two slammed and tumbled into Yona, bouncing their way into Occellus and into a group of props. All the kids could hear was several cracks, snaps, and crashes now tangled within their ball of fur, feathers, scales, and cloth.

Tirek, slightly amused by the chaos the kids created, chuckled out, “These are your prized students of friendship?”

Twilight felt her body flare up in embarrassment, a pained groan coming out of her mouth. Rarity sneered at him, “I’d like to see you try and do our jobs.” Rarity walked over to the group and helped pick up the costumes and props. “Are you ok?”

Gallus pulled himself out of the entanglement, slowly dragging his body and legs out. Once freed, he shook himself off and brushed his shoulders. “Yeah, just peachy.”

“Yona feels dizzy, Yona might get sick….” Yona moaned from the top of the pile, lying awkwardly on her back.

“Not on me you’re not!” Smolder kicked herself free and took off, a tattered part of the robe held firmling in her claws.

Sandbar casually strolled over, a look of disappointment on his face. “You guys really made a mess of things.”

“And my painting!” Silverstream cried out, gesturing with an open claw at the thick, dripping mess of green paint and various reds, yellows, and oranges.

“This wouldn’t have happened if Gallus let me have the role in the first place.” Smolder snorted, turning her head away from Gallus’ direction.

The gryphon puffed his chest, glaring harshly at Smolder. “I told you, it’s not meant for a girl!”

Twilight stepped forward towards the group. “I am very disappointed in you six. I expected you to sort things out rationally without making a mess of all the hard work that was put into the set and costumes.”

The students looked away sadly. “Sorry Headmaster Twilight.” They spoke in unison, some kicking or pawing at the ground, others giving puppy dog faces.

“It seems you will need some assistance with clean up.” Steward walked onto the scene with a hoof full of cleaning supplies.

Twilight groaned at the butler's presence. She could never catch a break. “Aren’t you supposed to be looking after Evening? I can handle everything that goes on here well enough.”

Steward turned to the side revealing a sleeping Evening on his back. “I was tasked with looking after the entire Sparkle family including both of you.” He walked over to the students and gave each one of the cleaning supplies. “You should not be stressed nor worried while expecting. Why not go and relax under the trees while we fix this?”

Spike set a comforting claw on her shoulder. “Go on ahead. We’ll get everything cleaned up and ready to go.”

Rarity smiled as she started to gather the ripped garments. “And Tirek and I will stay behind for you, helping get everything set up. Maybe he’ll learn a thing or two from the students here.”

“TIREK?!” They cried out. All eyes shot to him. The centaur leered at them, teeth shown as he frowned at the group. They backed into one another, holding the cleaning supplies like swords, shields.

“It’s all right, students,” Twilight reassured them. “He’s being reformed. Precautions have been put in place to ensure he doesn’t cause anyone harm.”

“I still don’t trust him” Gallus growled, standing firm.

“For once, I agree with Gallus.” Smolder crossed her arms, shifted her weight onto her left side as she glared as she glared at the centaur.

Yona put down her “weapon” and walked up to the centaur, looking at him curiously, tilting her head here and there. Her looped braids playfully waved about as she did. After a moment of observation, the yak beamed. “Centaur become friend of ponies, centaur friend of yak!”

“This could be exciting, it’ll be like how Professor Fluttershy reformed Discord!” Ocellus chirped as she fluttered into the air.

“You mean, if we help reform him, we could be heroes?” Sandbar’s eyes shined. Gently, he leaned against his broom, smiling dreamily.

“I wouldn’t get too excited, not until we’re sure this big meanie isn’t as big or as mean as we think.” Silverstream put her claws on her hips as she flew up, getting a better view of their massive visitor.

“Come, children. We must get the set tidied up before tomorrow. There is much to prepare for before your big night, most of which cannot be done without a proper stage and set.”

“Yes, sir!” The students saluted their leader as he organized the group, sending them on their way to fix the mess they caused. Rarity was already at work taking the soiled costumes and restoring what she could with her emergency repair kit.

Tirek glowered at the children and their playful attitude towards him. However, maybe he could find one of them that was more impressionable than the others. He looked to Steward, "What do we need to do first?"

Steward gave him a gentle smile. “While the children are cleaning their mess and Rarity the costumes, could you clean up the larger mess from the props, ruined backdrops, and broken decor?”

"Sure." Tirek stepped over to the props that had fallen over, working on getting them back up.

Rarity took the costumes and looked over the damage. "Luckily the damage isn't too bad. The only one I'll need to redo is the Beast's robe. Shouldn't take too long."

Smolder worked with Gallus, fixing what they could on the stage and cleaning up any bits of shrapnel or excess paint they could. Sheepishly, Smolder pushed in her shoulders as she scrubbed the floor. “Hey, Gallus. Maybe you should be the beast. I mean, it’s a cool role and all, but it suits you better.”

Gallus nearly fell mid air as he halted suddenly. Carefully, he set down the once knocked over backdrop. “No way! I can’t think of anyone who can roar like you.”

“Eh, I’m over it. If you’d like, I could teach you how to roar.”

Gallus grinned. “Sounds like a plan. Hey, Gaston’s role hasn’t been filled yet.”

“Oh yeah! Didn’t find a replacement for that guy yet…. That means I get to have an epic death scene!”

“Yeah!” The two high fived and went back to work with a new pep in their step.

Sandbar collected many of the broken props, organizing them into different categories. One pile for nearly unfixable ones, one for those who could, and another for those who were left mostly unharmed. After sorting another set of props, Sandbar looked over to Silverstream guilty as she repainted her backdrop, sadly placing her strokes now shades of blue. “Hey, Silverstream. Sorry about your trees.”

She let off a heavy sigh. “It’s not your fault, I know expressionism isn’t easy to understand.”

“Mind helping me understand?” He walked over, a friendly smile on his face.

“Well…. You see how my loose strokes of the dark blue and dull blue work together? It’s showing how upset I am that my last piece got destroyed, the evenish tone represents the green that was knocked onto it and the little speckles of regular blue represent the splatter and my shattered heart.”

“That’s pretty cool.”

“It is, but this isn’t my best work. You should see the pieces I have in my room.”

Sandbar gave her a playful jab. “Mind explaining those to me too, I’d like to see you at your best.”

Silverstream’s face lit up, a massive grin wide on her face. Stretching her arms out, she grabbed Sandbar and pulled him into a big hug. “I’d love to!”

“Does this mean friends are friends again?!” Yona burst up from the trap door nearby, the two jumped back each letting off a startled shriek.

Once over the initial rush of surprise, Sandbar looked to her. “Yeah, we’re friends again.”

“Good! Yona glad friends find solution!”

“Yona, could you please stick to one job?” Ocellus tiredly flew over. “I can’t keep chasing you around.”

“Oh, sorry, Ocellus. Yona forgot we must stick together as a team to fix play problems.” Clumsily, she climbed out from the hole and flopped onto the stage. Upon seeing her silly expression, the students laughed, Yona soon joining in.

It was odd, seeing a group of six different species getting together and being friends. Back then, the Equestria he used to know was very xenophobic. Most ponies only stuck to themselves and shunned other species. “I never expected Celestia and Luna to let other creatures into Equestria. Surely not what it was like when I was young.”

Rarity looked at him rather confused. “Really? They’ve never acted like that in the time we’ve been around. After Nightmare Moon, I would imagine things have changed.”

“Have you ever questioned her about her past?” Rarity shot him a glare which he returned with an unfazed expression. “I meant what I say.”

She wrinkled her nose, body straightening as she prepared her answer. “Whatever she would have done, she’s a better person now.”

“Some people don’t change, they only hide under a mask.”

“You would certainly know, wouldn’t you?” She laid a judgemental gaze upon him.

Tirek, without skipping a beat, responded, “Of course. Why do you think I said it?”

His blatant answer shocked Rarity. It made her stop and think for a moment, now focusing solely on the costumes. Tirek was content enough with her silence. Her strong opinions weren’t a surprise to him nor did he expect her to listen to his own. He wasn’t too sure if he actually cared about what she thought. Tirek knew none of them would believe a word he said, and that sparked a burning hatred that had settled deep inside him a thousand years ago.

Excitedly leaping toward him, Yona landed in front of Tirek, a friendly smile on her face. “Yona wanted to ask centaur if centaur wants to help friends!”

Yona brought Tirek out of his burning mind to look down at the young yak. His first reaction was to laugh and scoff at the notion. His eyes caught Rarity turning her head to him, judging his actions under that subtle glare of hers. He went with his second reaction instead, “Why?”

“Yona wants to help centaur! Centaur needs to make friends, friends help make him good! And friends need help with background. Centaur large and strong, centaur can help!”

Weighing his current options, which weren’t many, he huffed. “Fine, I have nothing to lose.”

Hearing his response, the yak bounced around. Doing the best she could to reach his hand or anything she could grab, she pulled him over to the group. “Yak glad centaur offered help! Friends will be happy!”

“Yona! We told you we don’t need him!” Gallus yelled, feather ruffing angrily.

“I told you she was going to bring him no matter what.” Smolder huffed, crossing her arms, but smirking slightly.

“Over here! We need help getting this background to move when we pull the rope!” Silverstream waved him over.

“Are you sure we couldn’t have done this ourselves?” Sandbar asked cautiously looking over at Tirek.

“I think bringing him would be for the best. The sooner this is taken care of, the sooner we can fix up the next thing and we have a lot to do.” Ocellus hovered as she tied the knots onto the background.

Tirek looked up at the sky, judging the time of day. He frowned seeing that it was still early morning. This was going to be a long day.