• Published 16th Aug 2018
  • 8,156 Views, 97 Comments

Harmony Unbound - Saturni_Rose



A reimagined Elements of Harmony in an AU where Luna stumbles into being FiM's protagonist, in Twilight's stead.

  • ...
12
 97
 8,156

Part 5: You may leave it now. It is behind you, and yet, in a way, always with you. Even still, you'll move on, with time.

Author's Note:

And that's that. At the tail end of last year, a conversation with an old friend of mine sparked this idea. He put the thought in my head, and I said "that could make a neat AU fic." He agreed, and encouraged me to write it. So I set out to do just that, thinking I'd fill maybe 20 pages worth of story, or maybe hit 15k words, max.

It ended up much, much longer...

Now here it is, the last chapter. I've also made a few alterations to parts 2, 3, and 4 as well, and I'm overall a little happier with where the story is now. And all I can really say is thanks so much for the feedback I've gotten so far. If you've enjoyed it so far and said so, you have no idea how happy you've made me.

I'm gonna give this chapter a couple more passes when I'm less tired. I was just so excited to be done and share it. So, here it is.

Princess Twilight Sparkle listened intently, nodding every once in a while to spur a continuation. She heard tell of how Luna came to meet all her new friends, and spent an inspiring day getting to know them. Then came the tale of Luna’s nightmare of being attacked directly by Moon herself. After that was the realization she back in spades, and the rush to find this castle’s location. The library, she was told, held the answer, thanks to mayor Mare.

“Oh,” Twilight mused. “I met mayor Mare, actually. Well, rather, I’d already met her, but I saw her, you know, again? Anyway, she told me to keep an eye out for you gals. She was a little worried.”

“That’s awfully nice of her,” Luna admitted.

“Yeah, she’s a peach. Sorry though, please continue?”

Luna went on, all about their perilous trek across the Everfree. She weaved the yarn about fighting Moon in the forest, escaping her animated tree minions, and saving the serpent she’d stabbed. Finally, she told of the confrontation here, and how Moon had beaten them all, but that she regretfully discounted Fluttershy. And while she’d been stunned, the Elements of Harmony came back, in a way. Thus did Twilight’s gaze finally cast across the floor to land upon the loose pile of armor and ash.

“Oh dear. I see.” Twilight covered her mouth.

“It is a gruesome sight, I suppose. But it had to be done,” declared Luna, with utmost certainty and finality on the matter. In truth, she was completely, utterly elated. Though, it would be rather inappropriate to display that right about now.

“I understand.” Twilight rose back to her hooves, and spread her wings. “You’ve given me a lot to think about. I’d better report back to queen Celestia now.” She started away, but hesitated. “Are you girls ok, by the way? I can swing back by Ponyville first, if you’d like, and, well, let them know where you all are?”

Luna blinked at her for a moment. She looked around at the makeshift bandages, the bruised faces, the little smears of red, the hurt ribs. Simply hiking back the way they’d come wasn’t impossible. But neither would it be swift, nor terribly safe.

“I think that sounds like a good idea, yes. Thank you so much, princess.” Luna began to wave her off, then waved her back. “Oh, wait. Don’t you want to take the Elements back to Celestia? This place doesn’t seem the best hiding spot anymore.”

Twilight beamed up at her with a knowing smile. “It looks to me like they’ve chosen new wielders. Farewell for now, miss Moonshadow.”

“Goodbye, princess Sparkle.” Luna watched her disappear in a pink blast of light, not but faint glitters of magic trailing in her wake. And at first, the name slipped right past her, and she turned to head along, all eyes on her, waiting for the latch to click. “Wait, wait. Moonshadow?”

All five friends breathed again, relieved. Luna looked herself over, still very much disguised in Moon’s illusion. Her outward appearance was that of her scholarly unicorn persona, Louise Moonshadow, and this was who she met with newfound royalty as. A confounded groan escaped her as she devolved into a sluggish crawl. She dispelled the illusion and turned toward her friends, mouth tight and straight.

“Whatever the implication of that, can we deal with it tomorrow? I’m tired. Anypony else tired? I’m so tired.” Her head bowed in earnest exhaustion.

Around her, Luna received faint giggles and nods. So out they went. It was at long last a gorgeous sunny summer’s day. Warmth washed over the six of them anew, and they breathed easy once more. A spot, quite a good many yards away from the crumbling castle, mind, had the softest grass, and a single tree for shade. The six of them settled down around the wide old oak, all nestling on one shoulder or another. Steadily, they all dozed off, the bright sun watching over them carefully.


All six fillies still slept peacefully, when a small band of pegasus ponies from Ponyville set down in the courtyard which was slowly being overtaken by trees, over the generations. They spread out, weaving through the encroaching trees. When one stumbled upon Luna and her friends, the others were called. A brief confusion fell over them at the sight of Luna herself. Certainly she resembled a particular princess in an old mare’s tale for foals?

Hardly did it matter, though. These ponies had injuries that needed looking at. And the Everfree was an expansive and dangerous place. They had to be helped out of this place. So the pegasi laid them out and buckled them into tethered harnesses. None of them awoke in the process, and the pegasi remarked on how exhausting their venture must have been. Little did they know.

Luna stirred, slightly. Her dozing teal eyes watched the castle sink away in the depths of the trees that would one day reclaim that dark place. She blinked, and the canopy green sea of leaves rushed underneath her in reverse. A trembling, happy thought crossed her mind about going back from whence she came, and she passed out all over again.

When next Luna’s eyes opened, she was sprawled unceremoniously across a bed in a stifling room. To one side rose a curtain of a peculiar, sterile shade of muted blue. On the other side, she found her new crown on a bedside table, waiting for her. And past that, a wall, with an open window. A little idle clamor wafted in past the panes.

The loose sheets were no problem at all, seemingly kicked off in her slumber, and Luna pushed up and over to the window. Leaning on the sill, she absorbed the warmth of the waning sun, glad to have it back. And she was proud to be responsible for its return rather than its disappearance for once. Below her second floor point of view, citizens of Ponyville rushed about town, trying to hurry back to their normal, everyday lives. She remained there a little while, drinking in the scene in silence.

“Oh, good,” came a voice, “you’re awake.”

Luna found mayor Mare approaching her corner bed with a nurse in tow. And somewhere behind the two of them, Pinkie Pie waved with a weak smile. The nurse asked to check her vitals while Mare talked to her, and Luna acquiesced, lying back down.

“You gave me quite a scare when my rescue team said they’d brought back a completely different pony than who both I, and the princess, described talking to. ‘Louise,’ was it? Or shall I call you Luna instead now?” Mare gave her a teasing, yet no less shrewd look.

Luna gulped, adjusting her neck to be checked for a pulse. “I’m very sorry for lying to you, and everypony. It was never my intention, but I was so scared of being mistaken for… her.”

“Originally, I felt, you know, she lied to me about who she was, why she knew things, her intentions. How am I to believe her now, in this story of being a separate entity to Nightmare Moon? I mean, can you blame me? I’ve the ponies of my town to think about.”

“I understand completely,” sighed Luna as the nurse checked the bandages around her head. “I’ll leave your town be, first thing in the morning. I’ll gather up and be gone at sunrise.” The nurse left her, defeated, to mark notes on the clipboard at the foot of her bed.

“Now, now, let’s not be too hasty. I just wanted you to understand how you’ve made me feel, here. So that we have an understanding, you know?” Mare chuckled slightly, bringing Pinkie forth. “I talked to this one extensively, though. Pinkie Pie is the friendliest filly in this entire town. She told me every detail, and I believe her at her word. If she trusts you, then so do I.”

Luna looked from Mare to Pinkie’s little smile of hopeful confidence. “I can stay, then?” She gasped as an elated Pinkie threw herself across her lap.

“It would be an honor. Come meet me after your release, and we’ll talk.”

“We’d like to keep her and a couple of her friends overnight, if that’s alright,” pleasantly interjected the nurse with pink hair. He replaced the clipboard.

“Tomorrow morning it is. We’ll chat over breakfast, I know a great place for hash browns.” Mare jauntily pivoted about, pleased as punch. “Just come by my office in town hall, early as you can, princess.”

“Wait,” pleaded Luna. “Don’t call me… I mean, I’m pretty sure I’ve given up my claim to royalty, you see. So just ‘Luna,’ for now, if you please. Sorry.”

“Oh,” mused Mare over her shoulder. “Very well, then. Though I’m sure once Celestia hears her little sister is back, she’ll gladly reinstate your status and title. I bet we’ll get the good news straight from Canterlot right as we sit down to breakfast.” She gave her a wink. “Oh, and feel free to bring your friends. Ta for now, Luna.”

With Mare gone and the nurse’s permission, Pinkie led Luna around the hospital. Pinkie explained that she and Applejack were hurt the least, so they’re not in beds. Also that Applejack went home now that it was well past noon, and her family ought to know she was still in one piece. Miss Pie herself, however, was checked for any lingering signs of hypothermia, given her time on ice.

They found the rest in a room almost entirely to themselves. Among the lot of them, Rarity’s jacket scraps had been replaced with proper ribbons of white gauze. In addition, Rainbow and Rarity both had thick strands of bandaging around their chests. Luckily nothing was broken, but both had bruising around their ribs. As well as ice packs being held in place there, Rainbow also had one covering a nasty purple swelling on the left side of her jaw. Moon had kicked her pretty hard.

A unicorn nurse came around to rotate the ice packs, such that neither of them would get cold burns, taking them away to be refrozen. She remarked that Dash was lucky her jaw wasn’t shattered, and reminded Rarity not to eat anything too salty or acidic for the next day or two, lest her bitten tongue flare up with pain. With a couple pills passed to the two of them from her cart, she began to move on.

“And you,” the nurse scolded Luna. “You were brought in, napping. Don’t you know how dangerous it is to go to sleep with a head injury? If you’d been concussed, you might not have woken up. You had all your friends worried to death, young lady.”

Luna wasn’t about to correct that she was definitely much older, and instead apologized to her and all her friends. She thought briefly of Applejack’s grandmother, remembering this same line of thought crossing her mind when talking to her as well. It all faded from her mind though, as the nurse took her leave of them.

The afternoon whiled away with the five of them lounging around the room. During this, they caught Luna up as best they could on modern culture. Rarity flipped through a fashion magazine she’d plucked from the waiting room. Pinkie Pie tried her best to describe modern music. Fluttershy gushed, saying she loved her favorite band also. Rainbow rolled her eyes, saying they were too “pop,” whatever that meant.

Eventually, Applejack came back to check on them, and ended up joining the pow wow. The conversation washed over modern novels, moving picture shows, all things culture. Rarity even named some stunning leading stallion or other she felt just like, when she had descended upon Nightmare Moon with her sword. In fact, it was there by her bedside. She’d surely strike a dashing pose, but the nurse might scold her.

Laughs were had, but then someone made a joke about family members, and a hush befell them. Given Luna’s history, they felt it best to perhaps avoid the topic of family for the time being. Luna merely shook her head, proudly boasting she aimed to go see her sister tomorrow after meeting with mayor Mare. So Fluttershy vented about her lazy brother, and Rainbow lamented the overbearing nature of her parents.

Pinkie Pie, frankly, couldn’t relate to that entire half of the room. She loved all her sisters, especially Maud. Applejack concurred, although, cousin Braeburn did get on her nerves sometimes. And Rarity, why she absolutely adored her little sister, Sweetie Belle. In fact, she asked Applejack if she couldn’t perchance pick her up from the guards she’d befriended earlier that morning? Applejack assured her Applebloom would love a sleepover.

“Oh, thank you so much, dear. You know I wouldn’t ask this of you if I wasn’t bedridden ‘till morning. I’ll zip right over to the farm and take her off your hooves, first thing in the morning.”

“That reminds me,” Luna told them, “Mare says you’re all welcome to join the two of us for our breakfast meeting.”

“That sounds great,” agreed Applejack. “In that case then, why don’t I bring Sweetie to you, and she can eat with all of us. Heck, I’ll ask Applebloom if wants to come too. She was a might bit upset with me for being gone longer than I promised. Can’t say I blame her, though.”

“Take it from me, Applejack. You must take care of that younger sister of yours.” Luna pointed a hoof right at herself. “I’d say I’m quite the cautionary tale, after all.” Around her rose a nervous laughter, the only sincere snicker coming from Rarity and Pinkie Pie. She didn’t care though; she owned that self-depreciative joke, wearing a smile.

“Anyhow,” Applejack went on, “I’m sure she’d love to meet you, Luna. The real you, that is.” She got up from the cushioned bench and strode across the room to her. “I’d better head out and get Sweetie Belle before the sun sets, but Luna? I just wanted to say real quick, that I’m right proud of you. Ok?”

“Oh. Thank you, Applejack. That really means a lot to me.”

Applejack said her goodbyes for now, hugging any ponies capable of doing so. There were smiles all around, and the room calmed down once more. The conversation, steadily over time, became more idle. And as the sun began to set, one pony took notice that Luna wasn’t exactly talking with them anymore, so much as listening to more banter over the legitimacy of various bands she’d never heard of. So Pinkie went over and set down on the floor beneath the bench Luna lounged across.

“How are you feeling?” she asked of her. “You know, about all of this?”

Luna pondered the answer to that for a good little while. “I guess I must say the Elements attuning to us is an interesting development. More to the point, though, as I’m sure that’s not what you meant; I’m really quite ready to put all this behind me, and move on with my life.” She nodded, affirming it herself.

“I’m really glad,” assured Pinkie. “Then we can take that frown and spin it around.” She grinned ear-to-ear.

“Applejack was right, dear,” doted Rarity. “We’re all really, very proud of the progress you’ve made.”

“You’re ready for the next stage of your life,” Fluttershy soothed. “And if you need us, we’ll be behind you, every step of the way.”

“Yeah,” agreed Rainbow, “especially if it means Fluttershy will tackle more monsters so Rarity can stab ‘em.” Rainbow peered around at the judgemental stares. “What? That was pretty hype, all I’m saying.”

Luna just chuckled. “We stabbed her, Rainbow. And we defeated her. Together. And together, I’ll wager we could accomplish anything.”

“Even talking to your sister?” inquired Rarity. “I fully support you trying to reconnect with her, but if I’m being honest? I think that ought to be between you and her.” She looked away and chewed on her lip. “Much as I’d like to meet the queen.”

“We can still be on hoof nearby, in case she needs us, though.” Fluttershy assured her, “If things don’t work out, we can always give you plenty of shoulder to lean on.” She gave a pleasant little smile.

“And if she tries to sass you,” Rainbow boasted, pointing, “you just pass her off to me. And I’ll give her one o’ these!” She twisted about, smacking her hoof into her pillow. Regret instantly shot across her face. She grasped at the bandaging around her chest. “Oh, ow. That was a bad idea.”

“Heheh, Rainbow. Please don’t fight my sister.” Luna shook her head, laughing. But then her face straightened, teasing with an assured smirk: “You’d lose.”

Pinkie spoke up, preventing Rainbow from arguing against that put down. “I’ve only known Luna for a day and a half. But if Celestia ever said or did anything to hurt her again, well…” As she spoke, her eyes seem to count the floor tiles, and her hoof traced along the grit between them. “I’d never be able to forgive her. Even if she is a queen.” Hush took over after her, but she paid no mind to the pensive looks.

“Pinkie?” inquired Luna.

“Just remember what I told you before, Luna. You are not your past mistakes.”

Luna looked down at her, and she up at her. A synergy was felt, crackling as blue eyes locked with blue eyes. Her face was fierce, as it was determined to let her know that she meant it. A smile broke out between them. “I understand. Thank you.”

“Good. Now riddle me this, dear Luna. Why did the princess cross the road?” she said, setting up for a truly lame punchline.


That night, after saying goodbye to her friends, goodbye to Pinkie, and goodbye to Pinkie an extra time from the second story window, Luna lied motionless in her hospital bed. The fullness of the moon outside her window had just begun to wane. It all felt truly over. It was done. Her eyes drifted to the new crown, its crescent moon sparkling lightly in the pale glow of the heavenly body it was seemingly modeled after.

While staring at the ceiling, Luna realized how much lighter her breathing was. Like a great, invisible weight was gone from her. In a way, Pinkie was completely right. She was practically a brand new pony. Turning over, Luna thought of the morrow, and meeting with Mare and… Celestia. After all this time, she would see Celestia again. Hope filled her heart as she turned in bed, getting nice and truly comfortable for the first time in ages. She couldn’t wait to reconnect with her first real friend.

The next sunrise came, thankfully uneventful. Luna and all her friends were discharged, easily enough, with a little extra advice on the way out. Waiting on the hospital’s patio for them were Pinkie, Applejack, and the two little sisters. Applebloom said hello again, while Rarity pushed forth Sweetie Belle for her to meet, though only after giving her a good reunion hug.

Sweetie was light like her older sister, and her curling, wavy hair had a near even split of lavender purple, and primrose pink. And her eyes were the exact shade of green that spring itself felt: light and airy and soft. Those very eyes of breezy green went wide, practically sparkling in the morning sun.

“Wow!” Sweetie hopped right on up to Luna, hovering right around knee-height to her. She had to lean her head way back to be able to look up to her from so close. “I can’t believe I’m getting to meet a princess.” She practically danced in place.

Luna started to correct her, but she called for someone else. “Scootaloo, get up here. Come meet the princess, this is so cool.”

Applebloom joined her, leaning against Luna’s leg, like a cowpoke resting upon a fence post, relaxing after a long day. “Yup, that’s right. I know a princess.”

Sweetie started firing questions like a volley of arrows, so plentiful as to blot out the sun, about Luna’s favorite item of any and every category she could think of. An orange head with reddish-violet hair poked up with a yawn. She came about, rubbing at the corner of her eyes and stretching out her tiny little wings.

“Who’s a what now? Did Twilight come back to town?” Scootaloo didn’t have to look around long before her mauve eyes landed upon the incredibly tall navy blue alicorn. She buzzed over in a meek hover. “H-hi,” she gaped and stammered. “What are you princess of?”

“Oh, good question,” beamed Sweetie Belle.

“Li’l Bloom and Sweetie really wanted to swing by and grab their friend, Scoots,” explained Applejack. “Don’t worry none, her aunt said it was ok. Hope you don’t mind havin’ to entertain an entire third child.” She started to laugh, but to her surprise, Luna was already hugging the young pegasus to her chest.

“These children are precious, Applejack, and don’t you ever forget that.” Luna giggled as Bloom and Sweetie bounced before her, each requesting a turn.

“Cute as this is, can we go?” asked Rainbow. “I’m starving over here.”

“But Rainbow, I thought for sure you’d relate to this sleepy little pegasus, since you also struggle waking up early.” Luna’s look was impossibly innocent, and Scootaloo stifled snickers in her cradling hoof.

Pinkie let out a huge gasp. “Luna-made-a-joke-I’m-so-proud-ah!”

“I’ll let you have that one, moon girl.” Rainbow leaned in close, smiling wryly. “This time. Welcome to the group dynamic.” She hit her shoulder and began down the steps.

“Fair enough.” Luna lowered herself to the patio floorboards. “Climb on, girls, and let’s be off. I’m hungry too, truth be told.”


By now, Luna actually started feeling somewhat familiar with these city streets. Enough for them to maybe even start feeling like home. But in entertaining three cute kids and their endless curiosity, having a guide lead the way still helped.

“I really am quite honored you three wanted to meet me. But I have to be honest with you. I’m not sure I’m a princess anymore.”

“Well I didn’t even know you were here,” admitted Scootaloo. “I just came for a free breakfast.” Applebloom nudged her and pouted. “Uh, and to hang out with my friends, of course, heheh.”

“How are you not a princess, though?” asked Sweetie. “You’re an alicorn, right?”

“Yes, that is true,” Luna conceded, glancing over her shoulder, being sure to balance the three of them the best she could. They were just a might heavier than she anticipated. “I’m still royalty by blood, as anyone can see. But I may not have the title, conferring a right to rule.”

“Nobility is a tricky thicket to navigate, like that.” Rarity nodded alongside her.

“But you don’t need a crown to be our friend,” assured Fluttershy with a smile.

“Fluttershy.” Rainbow leaned across, in front of Luna. “She does have a crown. It’s the Element of Magic. She’s wearing it right now.”

Luna’s cheeks warmed up. “I didn’t have a bag to stow it in,” she said, embarrassed.

“So if you have the blood, and you have the crown, how come you don’t have… the right?” Scootaloo scratched her head.

“Long ago, I ruled alongside my sister. But we had a bit of a falling out.” Her vision faded along the cobbles passing under her.

“Is that why your head is bandaged?” asked Sweetie.

“It wasn’t there yesterday when I saw ya last,” confirmed Applebloom.

“No, no. I fought my sister a long time ago.” Luna peered over her shoulder with a smirk. “Yesterday I fought a monster. And won.” Their little eyes filled with awe and wonderment.

“And I helped!” Pinkie proudly announced.

“We all did,” cut in Rainbow.

“So who’s your sister?” asked the trio on Luna’s back. “Is it Twilight?” asked Sweetie.

“Is it Cadence?” guessed Scootaloo.

“Wait, c’mon girls, it’s obvious.” Applebloom was sure she had this one. “It’s Sunset.”

“I-I’m…” began Luna, flabbergasted. “I’m sorry, I don’t know any of them. Just how many princesses are there, now? Are there yet still more I should know about?” When she got no immediate answer, she glared back. The three young fillies had tightened up their grimacing mouths, and their brows quaked at the sight of her. Luna sighed. “I’m so sorry, girls. I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

Applejack came around. “Want me to carry you for a little while, Bloom?”

Fluttershy and Pinkie offered to take the other two, since Rarity and Rainbow were told not to carry too much for a while. Yet even still, the girls refused.

“Miss Luna?” spoke up Sweetie first. “Are you ok?”

“I suppose I’m still a little shaken from fighting monsters yesterday. But, oh, I can’t lie to you three. You’re too cute.” Luna’s smile returned, but faded once more, and quickly. “The truth is, I’ve been gone a long time. It used to just be me, and my sister. Together, we were the only two alicorns at the time. And we each agreed to hold the title of ‘princess,’ because neither of us would be queen, so to speak; we thought of that title as a sole ruler. But we were an inseparable duo for quite some time.”

“Then what happened?” urged Scootaloo.

“We fought, and she cast me out. Oh, however, due note that it was entirely my fault.” Luna was quick to add that in, just in case.

“I wouldn’t say entirely,” insisted Pinkie.

“Even still, it was my fault.” Luna huffed, refusing to have this argument right now.

Pinkie conceded. For now.

Luna continued: “Now she holds the title of queen, like she’s moved on. Like she’s sure I’ll stay out of the picture. Worse yet, all these other, newer princesses I’ve never heard of, it just… feels hard to not think I’ve been replaced.” Her head would’ve dropped, but Pinkie didn’t let it. She nestled in under her, holding her chin up. “Thank you, Pinkie.” Then a set of small hooves wrapped around her neck.

“Th-that’s the saddest story I’ve ever heard!” Scootaloo held her tight. “You’ve gotta go talk to her and make up.”

“So much for not bein’ a softy,” teased Applebloom. “Eh, Sweetie?” When she looked behind her, Sweetie too was on the verge of tears.

“Shut up,” Scootaloo quelled.

“I-I couldn’t imagine what I’d do if Rarity ever tried to replace me,” trembled Sweetie.

Rarity sidled along next to Luna, and nuzzled her sister. “I’d never do that, darling. You are the crown jewel of my life, and I love you with all my heart.” She kissed her sisters cheek, and the flow of tears ceased. “Though I agree with Scootaloo, Luna. You should reconvene with your sister.”

“Rarity’s right,” agreed Applejack. She doted on Applebloom in the center. “Family is mightily important, if you ask me.”

“My brother may get on my nerves, but I still love him.” Fluttershy smiled along.

“Same goes for my parents,” Rainbow begrudgingly added. “I should write to them.”

“And hey,” added Pinkie, “if it doesn’t work out, you can come meet my sisters back home! I bet you and Maud would get along super well.”

The sprawling gathering of nine fillies entered into the square, spreading across its cobbles not entirely unlike water. Just across the way sat town hall, now a calmer scene than the past couple days. Luna was in the midst of thanking them all, and remarking on the maturity of the young girls she carried, when a bell tolled for her. A pegasus crier hovered along, some few yards away, jostling the bell round his neck with a free hoof.

“Here ye, here ye!” he cried to passers by. “We’ve just gotten word from Canterlot on high! The queen mourns the death of her sister! Luna’s ashes were found at their ancestral home, smote by brave warriors!” He saw another group to harass. “You lot, have you heard the news? I say again: princess Luna is dead! Long live the princess!”

“Luna’s a ghost?” chattered Sweetie Belle, trying to clamber down. But she was up higher than she realized; Luna was quite tall.

“She’s not a ghost,” scoffed Scootaloo. “How would we be sitting on her? Duh.”

“W-well, I don’t know how ghosts work.”

“Have either of you ever even met a ghost before?” asked Applebloom flatly.

“No,” said Sweetie, “which is why I don’t know how they work.”

“Have you ever met one?” Scootaloo chided her incredulously.

Applebloom simply crossed her hooves and held her head high. “Yes,” she declared with all the fake confidence in the world.

“Y’all. That’s enough.” Applejack passed the kids by and went to Luna. “Remember what you said, about the implication or whatever, of Twilight seeing your disguise and not you? I think this may have somethin’ to do with that.”

Luna sank, plopping disgracefully into the stone of the square. Sweetie Belle tumbled off her to the side, halfway dragging Applebloom who’d been holding onto her. “Moon and stars above.” Her gaze locked onto the horizon, looking past every single one of her friends, yet absolutely nothing at all. “She thinks I’m dead. My sister thinks I’m actually dead, and it’s all my fault.”

“Miss Luna?” Scootaloo poked her shoulder as all others gathered around.

“I’ve been so stupid,” she muttered. “I should’ve known better than to think an illusion spell that strong would fade just because Moon was gone. I should’ve noticed, why didn’t I notice, why didn’t I say something to Twilight?”

Was it even her illusion? she thought to herself. Or was I being too frightened to own up to everything, yet again?

Luna screwed up her eyes, closing them tight. The voices of her friends and the little ones whose company she’d been very much enjoying all but faded away as her ears folded back. With gritted teeth and considerable effort, images of the maps she’d pored over recently came unto her mind’s eye. Incantations crossed her lips.

“Wait, no!”

A friend called out to her. Perhaps it was Pinkie Pie, but another pony who understood magic better pushed her back. Probably Rarity. Intense sparks sizzled her horn, and a white flash imploded upon her. The lights crackled and fizzled out, and Luna found herself in familiar skies, spreading her wings to catch the wind as her legs fell loosely out from under her.

But then a few weights that shouldn’t have been there sloped off her sides, falling through the air, toward the cliffside keep below. And they were screaming.

Luna’s heart sized up with paralyzing terror. It was the girls. She lashed the air behind her without another word. This would not and could not be like yesterday, when she let Rarity slip past her. Her wings sliced the air as fast and hard as she could manage.

Applebloom eased between her hooves, and then Sweetie. Scootaloo bought her a precious few seconds by slowing her descent with her tiny wings, drifting down toward a gilded onion dome, topping a tall castle tower.

Scootaloo crooked her hoof around the needle that scratched the sky, but slipped more and more as it blossomed out into a rounder shape. She kicked in vain, inching closer and closer to the downward slope of the bulb. But right as she slid over the edge, she tumbled right into Luna’s embrace. She was snugly squeezed between her two friends and Luna’s deathly tightening grip.

Panting, Luna found the nearest battlement or rampart to set down on. She was much too frazzled to parse the difference. High winds rushed over Canterlot castle, tossing her panicked hair of starlight behind her as she fretted over them. They trembled before her, hardly able to stand.

“Girls,” she quivered. “I am so, so sorry.” She rubbed her bandaged temple, straining. “I should have focused more on my spell radius, I’m sorry.” With a thud, she let herself fall to her side before them, covering up her head. “I messed up, again. I just keep screwing everything up.”

A long quiet transpired. Wind whipping through the gaps in the wall’s defensive crust was the only other noise, besides a similar one escaping the girls desperately catching their collective breath. And only after an airy little while with no talking under the morning sun, did everyone’s legs stop shaking.

Applebloom pushed Luna’s hoof aside, peering into those eyes. “Miss Luna, are you ok?”

“Are you gonna cry?” asked Scootaloo, before being nudged by Sweetie Belle.

“What she means is she’s also very concerned about you.” Sweetie pulled her in closer, much to Scootaloo’s chagrin. “Isn’t that right, girls?”

“No.” Luna sat up to overlook them. “No, I’m not alright. My sister thinks I’m dead, and I accidentally dragged you girls along in coming to see her. A-and you almost…” She covered her mouth. She couldn’t say it. She knew the words well, but they wouldn’t pass her tongue.

Sweetie reached up and pulled the hoof away from Luna’s lips. “It’s ok,” she softly insisted. “That didn’t happen. You caught us.”

“Speak for yourself,” interrupted Scootaloo. “I was scared for my life!”

“Scootaloo!” grumbled Sweetie through gritted teeth.

Scootaloo pushed past her, looking Luna face to face, and batted her eyelashes. “Maybe I’d start to feel better with another hug?”

At first Luna merely gaped at her. When she pieced together an understanding, she finally relaxed. She even managed a stifled little snicker, shaking her head in disbelief. “You three really are precious.” She gladly gave into the demand of a hug, holding Scootaloo softly against her shoulder under one wing.

Scootaloo beamed smugly over at a rather nonplussed Sweetie Belle. Applebloom had been peeking over the castle wall they were on, stretching herself up against it as tall as she could get. Her big pink bow jostled and bounced in the gust that swept up and over. Rooves spread out before them like tiles on a floor, ending with great white walls ringing the city below. And over to the West, opposite the still climbing sun, the huge white ring encased a cliff face, capping an open-ended fall off into the open air, and nothing else beyond to save you. This view brought up some still rather fresh memories, though, so Applebloom sat back down.

“I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say we’re in Canterlot?” Bloom turned to Luna and got a nod. “Specifically, the castle where your sister lives?” She got another nod.

“I wanted to see my sister right away. But this has gone poorly, I need to get you girls back home.” Luna stood up, setting Scootaloo back down.

“Aw, I wanted to see the city,” complained Sweetie.

“Yeah, not really the important thing right now,” berated Applebloom.

“You’re right,” Sweetie moped.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Scootaloo pulled on Luna and pointed out the heavy oak door on the tower attached to their particular wall. “We’ve come all this way. We’re right here. Why not go ahead and go talk to her?”

Flimsy attempts at protest were made. But Luna soon found herself descending stairs at their behest. The trio vaguely tried to lead her at first, before realizing as soon as they pooled out into the corridor below, that they were completely and utterly lost. So Luna stepped forth, noting that despite a few decor changes and the odd renovation, she’d know exactly how to arrive upon the throne room. Surely Celestia would be waiting there, to field appeals.

But Celestia was not there, nor did any of the seemingly dozen or so princesses Luna had heard of very recently substitute in, sitting the throne in her absence. In fact, about then was when she noticed the upper floors in general seemed fairly abandoned. An errant guard or two had noticed her from afar, but did nothing. She did also notice, however, none wore their helmets.

Luna figured perhaps this was the respect owed to her supposed death. It stood to reason then, if the queen had cleared the throne room, and official period of mourning put into effect… “She must be in her bedroom.” She knew where that was too, and started to beckon the girls. They’d already trotted up to the dias, asking to have a seat at the top with their pleading eyes.

She reluctantly made her way over to them. Along the hall, she found herself flanked by stained glass panes, showering her in colorful light. Each tall panel stretching up to meet the ceiling depicted another piece of Luna’s story with her sister. There was their crowning, when Equestria became theirs to rule. They’d sworn, then and there, neither would be the queen, but each a princess who’d share the power of rule. White faded to blue.

Then purple highlights wriggled past her eyes. There was the corrupted unicorn king to the north. Sombra refused to yield the coveted Crystal Empire, and the entire land vanished at his command. She and Celestia had only wanted nothing more to liberate the crystal ponies out of the ironclad rule.

Red washed over her completely. It was Tirek, the great behemoth of a centaur, drained of his stolen magic and banished beyond the gates of Tartarus. She and Celestia summoned forth the mighty hellhound Cerberus to be his eternal guard. Aggressive and starved for power, his escape would be disastrous.

Rainbows covered her in sparkles of every color. The Elements of Harmony once more, in their original forms. Together, she wielded them with Celestia, bringing down their wrath upon the ancient agent of chaos himself, Discord. Honestly, that one was far more frustrating than it was a threat to her life. Still, she enjoyed every moment of watching him turn to stone.

Funny how the Elements worked, doing exactly what was completely necessary to a given foe. They reared up again, as a sea of dark, swirling blues threatened to swallow Luna up completely. The last thing she wanted reminding of was her nightmare form being exiled to the moon by Celestia. Yet still she could not escape it.

The next few events commemorated in colorful glass panes, Luna did not recognize. They presumably came in her undesired departure. She watched the crowning of two princesses she did not recognize, and one she did. More importantly though, she came to realize these were no longer about the story of Celestia and herself. Rather, this had become the story of Celestia, and Celestia alone. Her actions. Her decisions.

That’s why the lack of a second throne stung so bitterly. This lone chair of command signaled that a single ruler would utter word of law. She’d missed so much. The world moving on without her, perhaps she could handle. But her sister doing the same, she still hadn’t come to grips with.

“I think it best we not, girls. It seems there is only room for one pony up there.”

Luna led three disappointed fillies through yet more of the castle. At the end of a sky bridge, connecting the tallest tower, lay two doors prefaced by two guards. They too wore no helmets, and had long black shrouds of mourning cotton covering up their gilded armor. Upon the approach of an odd alicorn they’d never seen around the castle, followed by a short trail of even shorter fillies, the two exchanged a look.

“Halt.” They stepped forth in unison, standing tall. “Who goes there?”

Luna figured these must be highly trusted guards. She looked from one to the other. Both pegasi, one pink, and the other blue. Their manes had been cropped, and whatever trimmed tails they had were engulfed in regalia and respect for the dead. Respect Luna aimed to capitalize on.

“I think we can just about see the exterior of the throne hall from here,” she said, gesturing over one shoulder. “Anything seem familiar?”

The pink one approached the edge of open air, leaning to look over the paned glass they’d left behind. Luna watched her face go from puzzling, to confused, to studious, to completely dumbstruck. Her mouth hung open, utterly uncertain of what to say when she peered from Luna both on the architecture as well as standing before her.

These two guards huddled into hush whispers, discussing what to do next. Somewhere down below, another castle guard spoke to one wearing enameled purple armor. If he was earth pony, unicorn, or pegasus, it was hard to say from up here. An unmistakable detail, however, was his pale head being swallowed by his helmet before he rushed off into the nearest door into the castle proper. Luna decided to worry about that later.

“Ok,” said the blue one. “We’ll take you girls in to meet the queen.”

Luna had to quell the growing excitement behind her. “If it’s alright with everypony, I haven’t seen my sister in a very long time. Also, she thinks I’m dead. I’d like to speak to her alone.” She pat the disheartened girls. “I’m sorry, little ones. I promise, when we’re friends again, I’ll try my best to get my big sister to meet the three of you. For now, would you mind staying with these two nice guards? If they don’t mind, that is.” Luna smiled rather nervously before all five of them.

The pink guard took one look at Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. “Princess, these three are absolutely precious, and we’d love to.”

Luna didn’t bother questioning the moniker. The crown on her head didn’t help. Instead she rose to the doors, which the blue guard pushed in for her. The entrance faded into a dark, dark room. “My queen,” called the blue guard from here, “you have a guest.”

Just like so many years ago, Luna swallowed all her anxiety, and let the shadows take her in. The doors pulled closed behind her, shutting off one of the only open sources of light within. All around the tall, circular room, curtains were drawn over every window, and not a single wall-sconce was lit. For now, Luna merely had to think on how she remembered the layout being.

Halfway across, on far left and right side walls, matching steps would be spiraling round to meet, forming a platform on the far end, opposite entrance. Underneath the platform, as she recalled, was a desk with a few odd shelves for books and what have you. Upon this rise, though, was where Celestia slept in silk sheets, softer than even satin. Funny, even when sleeping or lounging, Celestia still rose above it all.

Splitting the curtains by the bed, a thin, tall beam of light pierced the dark. Luna could make out the silhouette of Celestia’s head upon a pillow of goose down, and the subtle glow of her massive, four-tone mane. Oddly, she wore no crown, but Luna soon noticed why. Following her sister’s gaze, she spied an end table, covered with candles of every blue hue, washing an old portrait of her with warmth.

“I must apologize,” Celestia droned, “and do hope you won’t be terribly offended if I don’t get up. I haven’t had it in me to leave the bed since yesterday, and I am sorry for that. But I’ve just lost my dear sister once more, you see. A-and for the last time.” Those last few words came out raw, Celestia seemingly on the verge of strangling upon their very utterance.

Luna chewed on those words for a long little while, saying nothing. Their taste was that of cake left out for days on end, dry and descended upon by flies. She gulped all the same, speaking up, despite the growing pit in her stomach. “That’s what I came to talk to you about.”

Celestia’s ears perked up at her voice. Something about it was eerily familiar, so she turned her view from the portrait of her sister, to the very real visage of her sister, which was totally obscured by the lack of light. The only glint she caught was that of the crown.

“That crown,” Celestia began, recognition in her voice, fanning the hopes of Luna beneath her. “You must be Louise Moonshadow.”

Luna’s heart sank once more, and she frowned. One hoof faltered back, then another; her retreat further into the shadow was unwitting and uncalled for. She tried to speak up, but the words would not come. This wasn’t right.

“Twilight told me about you, how you seemed to be attuned to that piece of the Element of Harmony you’re wearing now. Listen.” Celestia’s head found its way back to the pillow, and her magenta eyes, subtly glowing in the dark, grilled Luna unbeknownst. “If you’re here to talk about that, I want you to know, I’m not mad at you.”

Luna couldn’t breathe. This wasn’t happening. What should she say? She had to stop this.

“You, and your friends, merely acted in self defense. It can’t be helped if she was beyond saving after all this time. I’m… very upset to have lost my sister, it’s true. But that’s not your fault.”

Her desperate teal eyes scanned the darkened room. There, on the desk, across the way, was a candelabra by which to do late night study. Sparks flicked from her horn, and the tall candles came to life. Slowly, she drifted it across the room toward her.

“If anything,” moped Celestia, blistering forth without addressing the newfound light, “it’s my fault. Would that I’d been a better sister, none of this would’ve happened in the first place. Had I done more to care for Luna, and taken her plight seriously instead of berating her, belittling her…”

Fate eluded Luna once more, prolonging this torture. Just before the candles could illuminate the situation, Celestia turned and covered her eyes away. Even in the dark and even from the glance, Luna could tell she’d been crying, and was about to manage more tears even now. She was likely to swallow her own tongue.

“I was so horrible to her. My own little sister, who meant the world to me, and I let her become the monster you had to put down.”

“I put down the monster!” Luna could stand no more, shouting for her sister’s attention. “With the help of my friends, yes, it’s true. But what Twilight didn’t realize is that those wonderful ponies also saved me.”

Celestia propped up, confounded by this ardent pony. By the time she noticed that coat was navy blue, and not a plum purple as Twilight had told her, whatever offended response she had ready faded into the tense air between them. She looked from Luna lit by candles, to the dour old portrait of Luna lit by candles. Her cheeks became glistening streams in the dim light of tiny flames.

“Celestia,” Luna said, stepping forth. But she stopped. Above her, Celestia’s face twisted in anguish, rather than misery, and her teeth ground together. Her head sank, and her shoulders visibly shook against the backdrop of the thin bright ray of the tiny opening in her curtain.

“How dare you.” Her words wavered even more than her convulsing body, layered with a proverbial thick, poisonous ichor that would kill with aggressive certainty.

The pit in Luna’s stomach opened up, and any and all hope and happiness she’d regained these last few days seemed to drain right through, like refuse into a cistern to be whisked away forever by the waterflow. “W-what?”

“Here I am, in mourning, and I bare my heart and soul to you, and you put on an illusion to look like my dead sister?”

“Wait,” began Luna, but she flinched when Celestia smacked the headboard.

“Did you think seeing her face again on you would bring me comfort? That it would make me happy?”

“No, I-”

“Get out, right now, before I do something we’ll both regret!”

“B-but-”

“I said out!” Celestia flicked her horn, and a serving set, complete with tray, pot, and a few loose cups, all sailed across the room. Porcelain shattered to the floor, and the tray knocked the candles out of Luna’s magic grasp. Darkness overtook her again.

Silenced by the rant, Luna watched her sister reach for the comfort of her pillow once more, muffling choking sobs. Luna reached up her trembling hoof, but light pooled in anew behind her. The blue guard stepped in, starting to inquire what the noise had been. But Luna didn’t answer, because she couldn’t. Rather, she brushed past her back into waiting sunlight of the warm summer’s day. Sunlight brought on by her sister, in fact. Then, why did she feel so cold?

The tears welled up, but somehow didn’t flow. Luna swallowed her grief, proposing to herself it was perhaps she’d cried as much as she could cry these last few days. Or maybe this exact pain felt all too familiar. She steadied her breathing once more, letting go of her stomach. There was no real wound there, out from which none of her life’s essence would spill. And whatever hurt there was, it was inflicted so long ago. Not remained but scars.

“Petra,” called the blue guard, closing the door behind her. The pink guard set one of the girls down beside her and approached her and Luna.

“What’s going on, Nimbus?” Petra hopped to one side as the girls pushed in around them.

“Miss Luna?” Applebloom was bereft.

“What happened?” Scootaloo was confused.

“What about your sister?” Sweetie Belle was disheartened.

“Girls,” Luna wearily began as she blinked away the tears, “we should leave. Petra, was it, and Nimbus? I really appreciate you two.”

“She was sobbing even louder than yesterday,” Nimbus said.

“What happened in there?” Petra asked.

“Celestia, she…” In truth, Luna didn’t want to say. She wanted anything but the continuation of this conversation. But all these glossy sets of eyes were torture. “She thinks I’m an illusion of myself that I put on to torment her.” Luna grimaced.

“What?!” spouted Sweetie.

“That’s plain ol’ crazy talk,” insisted Applebloom.

“You gotta go back in there and set the record straight,” demanded Scootaloo.

Petra and Nimbus set themselves in front of Luna, nodding in unison. “You’re sisters,” Petra cried. “You should make up,” Nimbus pleaded. These two seemed even more likely to cry over this than Luna herself.

“I’m grateful you all seem to care so much about our relationship.” Luna moved to step past, getting as far away from Celestia’s door as she could right now. “But I’ve done enough harm for one day. I’d rather leave well enough alone, for one day.”

“B-but,” stammered Sweetie, walking after her. “You’ve read your story, haven’t you? The one about how Celestia banished you?”

“I know it all too well.” Luna kept walking.

“I always hated that story!” shouted Applebloom, running up alongside Sweetie.

“It sucks,” complained Scootaloo, joining them. “There’s no happy ending!”

Luna stopped in her path as Sweetie Belle jumped out in front of her. “Don’t you see, Luna? This is your chance to write a new, happier ending to that dusty old story. Don’t you want that?”

The trio formed up in front of her, and Luna looked from one watery set of eyes to another. A pleasant little smile formed on her face, and she leaned down, lowering herself to them. One after the other, she planted a soft kiss upon each forehead. They looked up in confusion at her beaming face.

“Of course I want a happy ending to that sad, old story, girls. And I’m so honored you believe in my reaching out to take it. But in life, happy endings are a bit more complicated than that. Celestia and I, we have a bit of bad blood, and we’re both very emotional right now. I think the healthy thing to do for now is give her some space.”

Sweetie stammered, trying to process. “B-but…”

“There, there, don’t fret over me. Once we’ve had time to heal from this, I promise you three, I’ll come back to her one day. I’ll make amends, and show her how much I love her still, despite all of this.” Luna regarded the tower looming behind her.

This placated them for now, reluctantly giving into the trip back home surely to come, with sorrowful tones. Luna’s ears perked to another sad noise, though, and against her best instincts, she peered over her shoulder, back toward Celestia’s door. Petra and Nimbus had produced kerchiefs from unseen pockets, and were wiping at their eyes to dry them.

“Come back any time,” pleaded Nimbus.

“Yeah, we’ll get you a meeting with your sister right away,” assured Petra.

“Thanks, you two. I’ll remember this, always.” Luna bowed greatly with all the gratitude she could.

But then the doors on the other end of the skybridge burst open from the main portion of the castle. Standing in the settling dust was a burly white unicorn, with blue eyes and purple armor trimmed with gilded edges. A swirling plume bounced fluffily along behind the helmet in twirls of sky and cobalt blues. In the crest at the centerpiece of his chest plate was a six-sided magenta star, which was at least vaguely familiar.

And rattling beside one shoulder was the hilt of a sword, a broader one than Luna had seen Rarity equip, though not quite as long. Blue aura coated the grip of the blade, easing it out in a flash of brass-colored metal. Had his weapon been steel, it must’ve been coated in a thin, decorative layer of brass or gold. Though, Luna had heard of expert smiths treating iron and steel to alter their very hue.

“Ah ha, Nightmare Moon!” he accused, striking a pose. “My entire career as head of the queensguard has prepared me for this very moment.”

Luna looked him up and down. “I’m sorry, who are you?”

He chuckled in response, widening his stance, and placing his weapon into a high guard position. “My friends call me Shin for short. But you will address me as captain Shining Armor. Now have at you!”

“Yeah, alright, I’m not calling you that. In fact, I’m worried your parents may have projected their own inadequacies upon you a little aggressively, Shin. Are you ok?”

He lunged. “You don’t get to call me that!”

Luna leaned to the right, watching the blade thrust past her cheek, far to the left. The girls all ducked behind her in a panic. And somewhere cluttering and clattering behind her, Petra and Nimbus were plucking up their helmets, trying to throw them on in a hurry. From there, Shin twitched, pushing the forward momentum. The hilt danced right, and the blade whirled left, from his perspective. The cutting edge was on course for the right side nape of Luna’s neck.

“Captain Shin, stop!” yelped Petra, shielding the kids from the havoc. She let go of the held breath as Luna deftly ducked the high sweep.

“Stop attacking Nightmare Moon,” he derided dryly. He stepped in closer with a vertical swing, which Luna sidestepped, to his frustration. “Yeah, that’s a great idea.”

Luna moved in while he was moderately distracted, and shoulder checked him. As his footing fumbled very slightly underneath him, she clicked their horns together, surging his telekinetic grip, causing his sword to hit the floor with a clang. “You ought not speak in a real fight. Now, though, we can-”

Armor tapped her with his horn, zapping her with a miniature jolt of lightning. Her hair stood on end as she jerked back. Nimbus called out to them: “She’s not Nightmare Moon, Shin. Leave her alone.”

“Then what’s with the kidnapped foals?” He tackled her against the railing. Between Armor and his armor, the weight was crushing, and the air left her. He rose. She fell.

“What?” questioned Sweetie Belle, slipped through Petra’s grip.

“We ain’t kidnapped,” called after Applebloom, shaking her hoof, “dummy.”

“She’s our friend!” Scootaloo buzzed through the air on her tiny wings.

The sword began to lift once more, so Sweetie and Scootaloo trounced the flat side of the blade, clinking metal back to stone with their little hooves. And as Shin approached them to inquire what it was they thought they were doing, Luna seized her chance to slip over the rail, taking flight. Shin turned to the sound of beating wings on the winds. She spat glob of blood deep into the expansive, open air, now rising above him. The morning sun burned a heavenly ring all around her at her back, practically smoldering her feathers to smoke and ember, so blinding was this eclipse.

“You want a monster to fight so badly?” Luna cried out, drowning in the light that burned and engulfed her. “Fine, you overly aggressive nitwit. I’ll give you one!”

Shin shielded his eyes, struggling to look at her. He half-expected her to make everything darker, that the sun would sink right out of the heavens, and the moon would clamber up to greet them like a starved beast, screeching for their flesh. And yet, things became brighter. It were as though the sun itself grew wider, the wiggling tendrils of light rays spreading further and further out. And that’s when he realized, with a start.

Luna fully expected this Shining Armor fellow to shrink before her, to concede. That’s when she’d call off her assault. But instead, he smirked, boldly stepping up to face the largest volley she may have ever conjured, as though fully insisting on calling her bluff. A great magic bubble, blue as his eyes, swallowed up the entire sky bridge beneath her.

“Now you’ll learn!” he howled. “Armor is a fitting name! My protection spells never falter, beast!”

A single magic missile, paler than any cloud, and brighter than any star in the night’s sky, sailed forth, sending Luna into a maddening panic. One became several, several became dozens, dozens became a hundred. The number had seemed so fitting, and she was completely ready to fade them out of existence before they could make contact. The truth was, she didn’t want to fight this stallion. But things got out of hoof, as all things in her life seemed to, and his magic expanded out to meet hers.

Shin feigned a yawn of disinterest as his bubble held a rigid form, neither wavering nor breaking with the impact of a hundred aural bolts. His look turned to that of an awfully smug equine while Luna pondered her next move. “Face it, Moon. You can’t beat me.”

Luna had to bite her tongue and grit her teeth. The last one who told her that was the very monster she’d created. That overwhelming feeling that she might be right crept right back into her head. Every raging instinct told her to prove him wrong, and to make it hurt.

But calmer minds prevail.

Luna drew several long, deep breaths. She eased the beating of her wings, allowing herself down to his level. A clash of crackling blue on blue occured when their eyes met, his determined, and hers, relinquishing as she dipped through the fading bubble. Her hooves softly set back down onto the bridge with subtle little clicks. “Perhaps you’re right.”

Shining took one bold step toward her after the other, helmed head held high. His sword found its way back by his side, as the girls were being held back and protected by Petra and Nimbus. He moved, gleeful to clash with the mighty monster Moon once more.

“What in all Equestria is going on here?” came a familiar voice. A lavender alicorn rose up and over the bridge, and landed between Luna and Shin. “Honestly, Shin. I leave the castle to take a break for breakfast, with some highly important dignitaries from Griffstone, I might add, and you’re up here firing off spells?”

“I was fighting a dangerous-”

“Celestia is in there, grieving! You couldn’t take this somewhere else? What is the matter with you?!”

Despite her petite stature, and coming half a head shy of meeting him eye-to-eye, Luna sensed a genuine fear of Twilight in this head of the queensguard. If not of her directly, then the phobia definitely lied nestled somewhere within the embrace of her disappointment. Normally, one might ask what a princess is to a knight sworn to a queen. But what is a princess, but one step removed from a queen? One step ready to stride to a queen’s side, and rat him out for some failure in his duty or other.

Luna hid away in the backdrop of their argument, taking her chance to gather her three young wards. She thanked Petra and Nimbus again for caring for her charges, telling them it was high time they’d left. The young trio climbed onto the sitting alicorn’s back, and the duo relented a farewell, lamenting there wasn’t more they could do.

For the second time that day, lines dividing regions of greens and grays and browns flashed across Luna’s focusing eyes as she shut them tight. She kept her incantations quiet, hoping to attract little attention. Little good did it do, though, for after a time, the increasingly incandescent nature of her horn overpowered whatever petty disagreements lay dormant between the two figures clad in purple. “Hold on tight, girls,” Luna muttered.

“Outta my way, Twily! She’s gonna get away!” He tried to muscle past.

“Pet names, really? Real mature, Sh-oh, oh shoot, wait!” She desperately tried to keep him from entering into the spell radius, and winding up who knows where.

Somewhere above Luna, a third voice called out to her. “Wait!” it cried too, stricken as though through gravel, sounding quite strained. But she had no time left to find its source. She and the girls all disappeared, leaving this very desperate figure to meekly demand her return of the thin air where she’d been. “Come back,” they groaned, crying into the open skies, “come back…”


With a flash of light, and a clap of thunder, Luna spread her wings, catching herself and three young fillies with a stiff hover. They found themselves one high jump away from tickling clouds, settling above the familiar paneled and thatch rooftops of Ponyville. And this time, no little girls had to be rescued from the carelessness of a certain midnight blue pony.

“Don’t worry,” Sweetie Belle assured Luna, “we’ll leave out the part where you dropped us and had to save us from becoming flat filly flapjacks.” She smiled rather cheerily, given the gravity of her avoided fate.

“Maybe you two,” insisted Scootaloo, “but I had that completely under control.”

Applebloom just looked at her over her shoulder, one brow quirked. “Yeah, that definitely didn’t happen, and you know it.”

“And I won’t tell your sister the part about jumping onto a sword on my behalf,” Luna proposed, moving on. “Agreed?”

“Agreed,” the trio said in unison, all chuckling together.

Back in the square, older sisters Applejack and Rarity expressed worlds of relief when they spotted Luna returning. Something of a crowd had gathered, and lo and behold, the mayor herself was there, with a few assistants. Rainbow Dash zoomed in, landing alongside Luna as she gently set down. Fluttershy eased the girls back onto firm ground, whereupon they all hugged their newest, and tallest friend. Luna felt rather bashful when they did.

And above all clamor and worry fading away like the steam of brief rain off sun-baked cobblestone, one pony rushed through who had been missing Luna most. “Luna!”

“Pinkie P-oof!” Luna stumbled back as Pinkie threw herself upon her, holding on as if to never let her go again.

“I’m never letting you go again!”

“Yeah,” drawled out Applejack, real slow, “it was kinda a struggle to keep her from rushing down to the station to catch the next train to Canterlot.”

“I’m going to pretend to know what that means now.” Luna blinked at her but returned her view back to the poofy pink pony now stuck to her like glue.

“Oh, right. Guess we’ll get to that later.” AJ pat Applebloom on the back. “Good to have you back too, munchkin. We were all real worried.”

“Indeed,” cheered Rarity, scooping up little Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo had none there to hold or stand close to; she ambled along. So Fluttershy took her under wing, and Rainbow followed suit. “And of course we were concerned for you, too, Scootaloo,” Fluttershy cooed.

“Yeah, plus, your aunt would be super mad at us,” quipped Dash, “and I sorta need a favor from her next week.” She grinned and mussed Scootaloo’s hair. “Hey, c’mon, I’m just kidding, kiddo.”

Despite all the ponies talking over each other all around her, Luna felt somehow rather alone in the world, save for Pinkie. Mare was talking to her assistants, Applejack and Rarity were looking after their sisters, and Rainbow and Fluttershy brought Scootaloo back into the little circle of friends so happy to see each other again after her little outburst. But of course, she’s had a lot of outbursts in her life, and they all seemed to cause suffering to those she cared about.

Her mind wandered back to Celestia, and how she had hurt her all over again. It occurred to her, that the voice calling out for her right before leaving might have been her, high up in some window of her tower. She could almost picture her big sister, limp across the sill of stone, crying out for little sister to come back. Her eyes searched the skies, as if she might appear there as Luna had. But no new light appeared beside the sun.

“Pinkie?” Luna held her close. “Would you really have gone all the way to Canterlot yourself to check up on me?”

“Even if I had to hike all the way there, silly. Luckily, I know a few hitchhiking tricks. Wagon trains love good jokes, ya know.”

“Thank you, Pinkie. You really are very wonderful.” Luna kissed her forehead before letting go. She decided she’d best explain herself. And though nervous at first, Pinkie playfully wriggling in under her wing brought her smile back, even if tenuously so.

Mayor Mare approached their gathering. “Your friends came and got me after you disappeared. I’m guessing this has something to do with the news that came in this morning from Canterlot?”

“That it does,” Luna confirmed, and Mare simply shook her head.

“Afraid I didn’t hear about it until our town crier got to you first. I’m terribly sorry about that. I’ve already sent a message to see about getting that story redacted. Though it sounds like you may have tried something similar yourself?”

“In a manner of speaking.”

Luna told them she just had to see Celestia right away, and accidentally involved the little sisters of the group, for which she apologized again. “They certainly kept me excellent company, though.” The young trio beamed, remarking that it was actually quite fun to see the castle. They especially enjoyed the nice guards they met.

“Yeah, except that one guy,” remarked Scootaloo.

“He was a total jerk to Luna!” Sweetie was still livid.

“What was his name again? Shin, or something?” Applebloom got puzzling looks from the adults all around her, who turned to Luna for clarification.

“I may have had a mild altercation with the head of the queensguard,” she admitted rather sheepishly. “He thought I was still my monstrous alter ego. Went by Shining Armor.”

Rarity gaped. “You went hoof to hoof with the purple sentinel?”

“Think I heard o’ that guy,” chimed Applejack beside her, “supposed to be a real tough customer.”

The little fillies came to her aid, claiming she was totally winning. But Luna wasn’t having it. “Now girls, it would have been better had we not come to blows in the first place. We’re adults, and I should have tried harder to talk it out with him.” They became a tad dejected. “Don’t look so glum. It’s just that, between the sword and the sorcery, somepony could have gotten hurt. Never be afraid to de-escalate a tense situation. Trust me on this.”

The hardest and most important part of the story came next. In a hushed tone, Luna spoke of the darkened tower, and her bereft sister within. The words trembled as they came, about how Celestia had mistaken her not for Luna herself, but some cruel, or misguided illusion of Luna. Her friends hung on every struggling verse, as Luna relayed she was then yelled at and told to leave, and that Celestia still probably thinks she’s dead, even now.

Such a statement hung heavy on the air, buzzing with nervous stares. Luna placed her hoof headlong into the thickening tension, trying to whisk it away. She told them that it was alright, that she didn’t begrudge her sister jumping to a nasty conclusion while drowning in her own sorrows. “Celestia simply… needs a little time to heal. From her perspective, she’s lost me twice, you know? I’ll go back to her another day.”

Somewhere at her shoulder, Luna felt a tremble. Dare she look? Helpless, wandering eyes peered at the pink pony under her wing. From under her makeshift cape of dark blue feathers, Pinkie drooped her head, and Luna could just distinguish a rather clenched jaw. She had to say something. But Mare inadvertently prevented this intervention.

“Well, Luna, that could neatly tie into what I wanted to talk to you about today. That is, if you still wanted to have our meeting. Over breakfast for everypony, on me, of course.”

“We’d love to!” chimed up Pinkie with a big smile, every bit as chipper as when Luna had first met her. Agreement struck all around.

“Aw yeah,” cheered Rainbow, “I’m starved! Saving Equestria is hungry work.”

“Now I know it wasn’t my place to invite them,” Applejack said to Mare, hat humbly at her chest, “but is it alright if the younguns tag along?”

“Not to worry, Applejack,” soothed Rarity. “I’ve plenty of money on hoof to cover our little sisters, and their friend, if need be.”

Mayor Mare sheepishly scratched at her neck. “That would be kind of you, actually. I have enough on me just for you girls, I’m sorry.”

“Well,” fussed Applejack as they began along, “I didn’t know how private this meeting between you and Luna was meant to be. Like, if it was about anythin’ particularly sensitive. But yeah, come to think of it, paying for the girls was an issue too. Good catch, Rarity.”

“Anytime, darling.” Rarity gave her a wink.

Mare chuckled. “Not to worry, AJ. The only thing personal we’ll be talking about is the diner I like the most. Come on, gals, let’s go!”


The proposal was presented, over buttered slabs of toast, towers of flapjacks and waffles stacked up high, and clumped patties of the fried frays of potatoes. Mare suggested that if Luna was stepping down from claim to a royal title, even if at least for now, that she become a librarian. The very library they’d been so keen to find yesterday still had no one to run it. The stairwell they had paid little mind yesterday even led to a loft.

Mayor Mare adjusted her snug cravat and dabbed her mouth with a napkin. “I know this must be a huge step down from the lifestyle you’re used to.”

Luna pondered the hashbrowns. “Considering how I currently have nothing, anything at all seems generous. You’re really sure I could simply live there?”

Rarity spoke up over the din. “Good luck getting her to accept anything right away, miss Mare. It’s like pulling teeth with this one.”

“Well,” chuckled Mare, “the library is a public service, offered by and paid for by the city. A rent-free roof over one’s head is an incentive. Utilities would be covered, but you’d have to still take care of getting your own food and furnishing. Oh, and I won’t lie. The salary is a tad modest.” She returned to her plate for another bite.

Luna looked rather nonplussed, chewing on rich waffles. She thought about it, with a gulp. “Would it be possible at all to negotiate an advance? I haven’t any money at all, with which to stock the loft with a bed or any groceries.”

“How’s a princess got no money?” asked a confounded Applebloom, turning around in the booth behind them.

“Yeah,” chimed in Scootaloo, “who conned you outta that deal?”

“Probably her sister,” Sweetie Belle answered thoughtfully.

Across them, Applejack huffed. “You three hush up. You’re bein’ mighty insensitive.”

“I don’t see why not.” Mare laughed off the girls.

“Tut-tut,” defied Rarity, pinning her very assured hoof into the subject, “no, that won’t do.”

“What’s wrong, Rarity?” Fluttershy asked her. It was a tad hard to hear her.

“Yeah,” quirked Rainbow Dash, “do you like, not want Luna to get paid?”

“Nonsense.” Rarity took a quick sip from her glass of orange juice, eyeing Rainbow incredulously. “I was just going to suggest we take Luna out onto the town, and that we help her gather every little bit and bob she needs to start her new life here.” She smiled across the table at Luna.

“Seconded!” cheered Pinkie, almost knocking Luna over as she excitedly bounded in her seat. “I can throw a housewarming party!”

Approval rang out all around Luna. Chatter washed over her about which shops they looked forward to perusing. A mattress and sheets from here, a desk and end table from there, bread from the local bazaar; a minor debate broke out about which vendor each of them got their bread from, which turned into a disagreement about which bread was best; white, wheat, rye, etc.

Luna could only smile. Her smile became a snicker, then a chuckle, and gradually she was howling with laughter. Here they all were, the ponies who had fought to the death with the demon of her painful past, now embroiled in a petty dispute over bread. “Thank you.” It was all she could manage to say. She beamed, already feeling herself leaving behind the fresh trauma of the day. “Thank you all so much, for everything.”


The moon rose high anew, that night, no longer full via the creeping shadow looking to claim her, slowly but surely. Within a few weeks, the darkened new moon would take her place. But back within the realm of Equestria, the new Luna bid her fond farewells to all her friends who’d made this the coziest housewarming she’d ever attended. Even if it was also the only housewarming she’d ever been to.

Applejack and Rarity had left first, needing to return the young ones to their homes at a decent hour. Bloom, Sweetie, and Scoots refused to leave, though, until they’d gotten the biggest hug of the day from their new favorite princess. Luna chided them for calling her that, but embraced them all the same. Luna remarked that she worried she'd invoke not but fear in the children of Ponyville when she arrived. But here instead she found warm admiration.

Fluttershy was next to leave, citing the animals in her care, especially one spoiled little bunny in particular. She loved him though, even if he was a bit of a brat. Rainbow Dash decided to escort her, since her cottage was some ways off. Luna hugged Fluttershy as well, and bumped hooves with Rainbow.

Out the door next was mayor Mare, after passing off the keys to her latest, and, according to her at least, most distinguished resident. She’d be by in the morning, to walk Luna through the various paperwork. Book organization systems, asset acquisition, monthly supply requests, that sort of thing. Though, Luna felt that after helping run a kingdom, she ought to be plenty capable of looking after a library.

Then there was not but Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie, she lingered, offering to help dust the shelves, organize the books, anything else to stick around. But the hour was growing late by the minute. So Luna had to convince her she’d be fine alone tonight. Even still, Pinkie clung to her by the door, almost refusing to say goodbye.

“If you need me, any hour of any day, you come to the bakery where I work, you hear me, Luna? Sugarcube Corner is super not far from here, ok?”

“Thank you, Pinkie. Maybe I’ll come visit if I can find time for a break.”

“I’d really like that.” Pinkie smiled up at her, and she smiled back down. Then Pinkie bat her long eyelashes as Luna got closer.

“Goodnight, Pinkie Pie. You will be missed, even if it is but a single day that separates us.” Luna leaned down and softly kissed Pinkie’s forehead, beaming as she giggled.

The toll of sweetness had been paid in full. Fitting for a pony who worked at an establishment called “Sugarcube Corner.” Either way, Pinkie bid Luna one giddy ta for the night, and bounded out. So Luna sighed, letting the silence finally wash over her anew. She clicked the lights on her way up to her new room, lighting the candles when she got there.

A subtle smirk passed Luna’s lips, when she looked at her new bed again. She recalled the briefly lived argument over the color of sheets they ought to get. Rainbow and Rarity clashed for a minute about the complimenting plum comforter, or the much cooler blue. Eventually, though, Pinkie had come forth with, what else, but pink. A soft and delicate sort of pink, that her little lamby doll practically disappeared into when she looked at it.

Luna ambled over to the window, pushing it open. She leaned over the sill and threshold both, propping up on the mighty branch of the huge tree she now called home. Her wistful gaze drank in the townscape below, many a light going out for the night, while still others stayed on to keep her company. And perhaps it somehow paled in comparison to the countless stars in the night sky she’d once personally brought forth. But that was a past long behind her now, and one she might not ever go back to.

And the ambivalent truth? Luna was fine with that.

There’d be no more high expectations of royal rule, only for her to live in another’s long, ever-reaching shadow. She could be her own pony. Perhaps a quiet life as a librarian wasn’t the loftiest desire she’d ever held, but somehow it now seemed so pleasant. But the morning would no doubt come knocking soon, with sister’s rising sun. So Luna began to recede from her window perch.

That’s when a voice called out to her. “Ah, there you are.”

Luna faced skyward, taken aback as a familiar lavender alicorn set down upon the branch outside her window. And, to top it off, she had a guest. Clinging to her back was, oddly enough, a purple dragon with a soft and chubby green underbelly.

Somewhere floating in the back of her head, Luna amused herself, remembering her comment about her own use of too much purple in her previous disguise. This, however, she kept to herself. Besides, Twilight pulled it off rather nicely, actually.

“Why, princess Sparkle. To what do I owe the pleasure?” Luna bowed her head, as she recalled was the due respect to royalty. Or at least it was, when she herself was once royal.

“Well, I meant to be out your way sooner. It’s just, there was a lot to do at the castle. Although,” Twilight chuckled, only semi nervously, “I’m sure you know all about that, don’t you, Luna?” Then her nervous smile became a much more assured one. “But of course, you weren’t Luna when we first met.”

Luna skittishly blinked up at her. “Figured that out, have you?”

All confidence faded from Twilight, her smile easing into a much more embarrassed, sheepish little grin. “I’ll admit, it took me a little time, even if it does seem a tad obvious in hindsight.”

“I’ll say,” chimed in her small dragon companion, beginning to list off clues on his little clawed fingers. “A name like Moonshadow, knowing exactly where to find the Elements of Harmony, that the Elements transformed to match each respective pony’s cutie mark, and hers just so happened to be a crescent moon.”

“Ha ha, ok, Spike. I get it. Thank you.”

“Please,” mused Luna, trying not to laugh, “why don’t you two come in, out of the cold night air?”

They gladly accepted the offer, ducking in through the window. Twilight gingerly set down on her hooves after a quick flap of her wings. As her head looked over one side of the room, Spike’s searched the other. He hopped off her back and into the chair by Luna’s new desk, spinning it about to lounge vaguely in their direction. Just in case he had to half-heartedly participate in the conversation.

“Ooh,” mused Twilight, “I didn’t know there was a loft. It’s cozy.” She offered a warm little smile, which Luna returned in kind with a nod.

“My friends certainly helped it feel like home. I could thank them for a hundred days, and it won’t feel it’s enough for their kindness.” Luna fondly regarded the new furnishing, doting on the pleasant overall color scheme. With pink sheets set in stone, other pieces were picked from blue and purple paint, patterning a nice swatch of compliments.

“Wait.” Twilight peered over at her shoulder, finding the steps behind the cracked door. Down that way lie many a book. And it clicked. “You get to live in the library?” The name of Sparkle almost became rather literal as her eyes lit up.

“Oh boy, here we go.” Spike steeped his hands, bemused.

“Oh my gosh! That sounds like, I don’t know, the most fun thing ever? Could you imagine, picking whatever books you liked on your way up at night? Luna, you’re so lucky!” Giddily, she giggled, but calmed down when she noticed that while Luna agreed, she definitely didn’t match her enthusiasm.

“Come on, Twi. You know that’s not why we’re here. You can fantasize about moving your room to above the archives later.”

“My,” Luna chuckled, “he’s rather… witty, for an assistant.” She noticed he seemed rather pleased with himself at that.

“I suppose I do spoil him a bit,” Twilight admitted, sauntering over to him. Mild and meek protests squeaked out of him as she scooped him up into a tight hug.“But I just can’t help myself. I love my little Spike, heheh.”

Though embarrassed in front of the new alicorn in his life, Spike gave in, squeezing her back, his thick little arm folding under her wing. “Ok, ok, I love you too, Twilight. B-but you’re gonna ruin my reputation.”

“You can’t act tough in front of me, young man.” Playful as she was, she let him go anyway, with a sigh, her smile fading. “You’re completely right, though. We are here for something else. Something much more important.”

Luna’s heart sank in her chest when those purple eyes which shone like sugilite met her own irises of turquoise sheen. “Er, what do you mean?”

“I came to deliver a couple of apologies,” she announced solemnly. Twilight followed Luna’s gaze, dipping her head to keep her eyes. “Luna? You ok?”

Luna picked herself back up. “Yes, yes. I’m fine, sorry. Do go on.”

“Well, the first is from my brother. He’s very sorry for thinking you were still Nightmare Moon.”

Luna’s eyes narrowed slightly. “Captain Armor is your brother?” It clicked, why his crest had seemed so familiar. The six-sided magenta star was a dead ringer for Twilight’s own cutie mark, save a slight change in shape.

“Heh, yeah. Why else do you think a thick-headed stallion like that would listen to me at all when I got in his face back there?” The two of them snickered.

“Don’t sell yourself short, Twi.” Spike wagged his finger at her, wearing a knowing face. “You can be pretty intimidating, when you’re mad.”

Twilight went deathly silent. She blushed and refused to acknowledge the accusation or even look toward its origin. “Ahem. Anyway, yes. Shin didn’t realize you’d somehow broken free of Moon, so to speak. He very much apologizes for attacking you on false pretense.” She bowed her head so deeply, her circlet might very well slip.

“I suppose it’s really quite alright.” Luna shrugged, feeling sheepish and guilty herself. “I admit, I let my temper flare up this morning as well. I shouldn’t have lashed at him either. Tell him next time you see him that all is forgiven, and that I’m sorry too.”

“That’s great,” Twilight said. That smile returned, briefly. But, surely enough, it faded away once more, dust on the winds of what else she had to say. “Speaking of siblings, though…”

“Oh.” That was all Luna could manage. “Right.”

Twilight took a deep breath. This next part was going to be the hardest. “Celestia wants you to know-”

“No, you know what, hold on.” Luna lifted one hoof, defiant. She frowned, cupping her cheek.

Princess Sparkle tripped over every word she’d prepared. “I… sorry, what’s wrong?”

“This is meant to be an apology, yes?”

“Well…” Twilight shared an uncertain glance with Spike. “Yes.”

Luna paced over to the bed, plopping down on the edge of her new mattress. It was softly quilted, but firm where it needed to be. Perhaps the sheets were not as smooth as the satin or silk she fondly recalled sleeping on. And perhaps she had merely enough room to roll over but once, compared to the bed twice this wide that was once in her room in the castle. But that was back in Canterlot, where Celestia was. And Celesta was still there now, and hadn’t come herself.

“How can I accept an apology from her if she can’t even face me?”

Twilight fidgeted her wings. “With all due respect, Luna, I don’t think that’s entirely fair.” She looked to Spike; he was chewing his claws and ardently refused to get involved with this. “If nothing else, would you trust me? I saw her myself, and she was so mortified, she could barely speak. She really does regret what she’s done to you, honest.”

Luna sat patiently, letting the princess finish her piece before responding. “You want to talk about ‘fair,’ and ‘what’s been done to me?’ Fine, let’s chat.” She pointed toward the door. “If you go down those stairs, you’ll find a book on a table, wherein my mistakes have been immortalized.”

“Oh. That tale.” Twilight grimaced.

“You know the one, then?” Luna bit her lip. “I… don’t doubt my sister likely does regret her actions this day. But I come back, after I don’t know how long, and my most heinous regret is given a permanent fixture in Equestrian mythos. Yet she can’t even pass along a written missive with you, that I can formulate even the vaguest notion that she still cares about me?”

Twilight stared at her, words catching in her throat, heart beating faster. Spike tugged on her tail, thumbing toward the window, desperate to leave her be. And when Luna saw their discomfort, and that tiny hint of fear, she covered her mouth, blinking away the start of tears at the corners of her eyes.

“I’m so sorry,” she meekly professed. “None of this is your fault, Twilight. I shouldn’t take it out on you. Turns out, I’m pretty bad about that lately.” Luna sighed, drooping her head.

Twilight ambled over to her side. “Mind if I sit here next to you?”

“Go right ahead.”

“Can I share another story with you, actually?” she timidly asked, easing onto the bed next to her.

Luna peered her way, intrigued. “How do you mean?”

“Well, really, what I mean is, I want to share the version of the story not printed in books. The one they don’t like to retell.”

She scrutinized this new princess where she sat. “Go on.”

Twilight began to weave the tale: “The story goes, that after banishing her sister, princess Celestia cried for a hundred nights. At every sunset, she’d become nigh inconsolable, because she had to raise the prison in which she’d sentenced her own sister. The shadowy silhouette upon the moon’s surface taunted her so.”

Luna pursed her lips a tad. “You’ve rehearsed this, haven’t you?”

“Only a little,” Twilight timidly admitted, smirking. “May I continue?”

“You may.”

“Her most trusted companion, Starswirl the Bearded, had to stop her. One evening, after raising the moon, he found her in the courtyard. She had gathered the Elements of Harmony, very much intending to use them on the moon. Anything at all to have her sister back. He explained to her that she was now bound to the heavenly body, and only destroying a bound object can free a prisoner of their sentence early.”

“That would mean…”

“Right.” Twilight nodded at what Luna hinted at. “She would have to obliterate the moon out of the very sky. And do you know what Celestia said to him?”

Luna shook her head, uncertain. “No?”

“That it would be worth it to have her sister back. But, as they say, calmer heads prevail. After cooling off a bit, she hid away the Elements, vowing she would try to never, ever use them again if she didn’t absolutely have to. The hope was that never again would a punishment so heavily outweigh a crime. And, well, after that is originally where the whole ‘peace for generations’ line came in. The rest, you know.”

Luna said nothing at first, flopping over onto her side. She stayed that way for what felt like an age and a half, Twilight looking over her, somewhat puzzled. “And why is that not the version of the story they print in books?”

Twilight laid herself down, opposite Luna. “Because, you see… crying, it isn’t very pretty. There’s an ugliness to it, and ponies get uncomfortable. The story in its fullness, the ending is so bitter.”

“It isn’t now?” scoffed Luna, rolling her eyes.

“The modern ending is bittersweet. Doubling down on the hurt feelings, the bitterness and anguish, it’s all so hard to swallow, you know?”

“Think of who you’re telling, heh.” Luna looked away, but met their eyes again. “And how do you know all of this?”

Twilight propped up, cupping her chin. “Celestia was my mentor for a time. And, well, still is, I suppose. I wouldn’t say we’re the closest ponies in the world, but she’s shared a few of her more…” She tapped her lip, thinking of how to put it. “More personal stories. But, well, you trust me, don’t you? That I wouldn’t make all of this up to convince you?”

Luna sat up. She blinked slowly, parsing all of this out in her head. “I trust you. And I believe you when you say this is true. It’s just…”

“Go on, Luna. You can talk to me.”

Luna fidgeted one wing, uncomfortable. “I get that all of this has hurt my sister too, and I get that she regrets hurting me this morning.” She ran her eyes across the floorboards, fiddling her hooves together. “But I’ve still lost a lot of time, you know? And I feel like… I need…”

Twilight placed one hoof on Luna’s, drawing in her eyes. “I’m all ears.” But then she considered her hoof contact. “Ah, well, I mean…” She withdrew the touch. “Am I doing this right? I’m sorry, I, well, don’t get out much.”

“Heh. No, no, you’re doing just fine.” Luna placed her hoof on the withdrawn one. “And I really appreciate you being honest with me.”

“G-great, good, I’m glad.” Twilight’s cheeks threatened to flush pink, her smile getting increasingly apprehensive by the second. “Please, though, you were saying?”

“I think I still need for my sister to meet me halfway.” Luna’s reassuring grin sagged at her cheeks. “I’m willing to wait for her. However long it takes, and I’ll embrace her the day she’s ready meet with me. Face to face.” Her eyes grew sadder, but remained certain. “Not a moment sooner. Ok?”

Twilight closed her eyes and drew a deep breath. Her heart calmed in her chest as her lungs filled with fresh air. When ready, she looked Luna in the eyes once again. “Ok, Luna. I understand.” A weak smile revived itself upon her lip. “I’m sure once new wounds settle, Celestia will come right over. In fact, I bet she’ll be so excited to have you back in her life, that she’ll be over within the week.”

“I’d really like that. Oh, and can you give her one last thing for me?”

“Yeah, I’m not carrying any gifts.” Spike put his claws out in distress, as though the emotions of this exchange were themselves burden enough upon him. In truth, the two alicorns had nearly forgotten him.

“Well,” simpered Luna, “luckily, this shall be extraordinarily light. And Twilight can carry it for you.”

“Feel free to ignore him,” snickered Twilight. “I’ll take this for you, whatever it may be.”

“A simple reminder of the love I still bear my sister.” She leaned over and quickly pecked Twilight’s unsuspecting cheek, smiling fondly.

Twilight’s eyes went wide, and her cheeks nearly went fully magenta, like so many cute little bunches of tiny yarrow flowers, their puny blooms sprouting to meet the warm summer day. Her cheeks too, felt very warm. She blinked a couple times, turning to view one very bemused Luna.

“Well,” she stammered, “uh, I don’t think it will hold, y-you know, quite the same… coming from me, that is.”

At first, Spike’s drooping jaw nearly scraped the floor. But the look on Twilight’s face was priceless. He covered up his mouth, stifling his garish and quite youthfully high giggle. That, Twilight noticed, and decided this had all been enough for one night.

“Wow would you look at the time this has been fun but I’m sure you’ve been through a lot these last few days so we’re just gonna let you rest ok have a nice night bye!” Before another word could be said by any other creature in the room, Twilight scooped up Spike and hopped through the window they’d come in from. And when Luna went to the frame to watch after them, they glimmered out of the black sky with a bright magenta spark.

And that was that. Luna was all alone. She drew the window closed, and walked over to bed in silence, snuffing out her candles when she got there. Now all her vision was graciously granted by the rays of the moon, which hauntingly crept across her floorboards, nipping at the backs of her hooves along the way. When she sat back down on the edge of the bed, to notice her pale pursuer, she drew the curtains. Darkness enveloped her, but the moon couldn’t get her anymore.

It was over. It was all finally over. And now all there was to do was wait. Her chest felt light and airy, although, not quite as feathery as she’d hoped. When a sigh escaped her, she knew she’d be pondering if she’d made the right decision for some little while. Perhaps it had felt right in the moment, but now, she found herself a little uncertain. Maybe she could teleport back, and throw her hooves around her big sister after all.

No. That wouldn’t do. Rainbow, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and especially Pinkie Pie, they had all given so much these past few days, that she might have this second chance, to make her own way in life. And she aimed to take it. She may yet hold a crown, gilded and bejeweled with her insignia, no less. But she hoped to never wear a crown in an official capacity ever again. She was taking this chance her friends had offered her, and holding onto it for dear life. It just felt right.

Going back now, to cry on Celestia’s already tear-soaked shoulder, it would be like giving up. Giving in and going back to big sister on begging knees for her old life back. And did she really need her old life? Did she even want it anymore? And what if having Celestia back in her life once more meant taking that life back with her?

Luna put these thoughts to rest as she turned over, pulling the pink sheets up to her neck with a yawn. Tomorrow was to be a big day. The first of many, she hoped, in this new life of hers. Her nestling nose found the soft primrose pink lamb doll with sparkling blue eyes. A smile crossed her lips, remembering the absurd nature by which this adorable keepsake had become her own. “Oh, Pinkie,” she whispered, bemused, hugging it to her cheek.

And for the first time, in a long time, sleep found Luna rather easily. No feverish fugue state, her essence stretched in a shadowy form across the face of the moon. No nightmares left to haunt her. And no passing out from the exhaustion of hard-won battles. Only sweet, gentle slumber...