• Published 10th Dec 2018
  • 579 Views, 23 Comments

Spot - goddamnAnimal



Many years since her last great adventure, Rarity has become a bitter recluse living in a Equestria ravaged by time and tragedy, but when she meets a kid that interrupts her tailspin of monotony will she be able to finally let go of her past?

  • ...
1
 23
 579

Part 2

Rarity rushed out of her bed in a cold sweat. She heard the laughter booming loudly in her head and her bedroom was now a hell she wished would leave and never return. There was blood pooling at her hooves and smell of burnt flesh in the air. Tendrils of powerful magic sparked from Rarity’s form, gathering like bad weather. Something fell against the ground and Rarity used the massive pool of her magical power to send nearly every piece of furniture hurtling toward where it landed. A couple of large dressers smashed through the floor followed by the night stands and everything else except her bed. They crashed down into the room below with such force it made the whole building shake.

Rarity’s heart was pounding in her chest as she tried to calm her breathing. She could feel the tears running down her chin.

She closed her eyes and collapsed to the ground. She covered her face with her forelegs and began to sob. Rarity did not know how much time had passed before she was able to finally compose herself. She raised her head out of her hooves and looked around at the damage she caused. Her room was nearly empty besides a few clothes and a couple of books. She got up and slowly walked to the crater that was now in her room. She looked down to see her half broken furniture laying in a pile with everything else that was in her room on top of busted packed away boxes. Fortunately, the room below she used to mostly store old junk though that did nothing to raise her spirits.

“Perfect,” Rarity said in a dead tone. She didn’t have the energy to be angry and simply raised the pile back through her caved in floor.

Rarity checked herself to make sure she wasn’t actually covered in blood and then placed everything haphazardly around her room, only ensuring that it was out of her way. Her dressers were all busted up and her phone and alarm were both completely shattered. The wastebasket was bent and too warped to be of any use. Many of her clothes were torn and her books were wadded into tight paper balls. She noticed a yellowed piece of paper stuck to the face of one of her dressers, a probable hitchhiker from one of the boxes below. With an eyebrow raised she gently pulled the piece of paper off the broken furniture with her magic and floated towards herself. It was neatly folded as if it was inside an envelope. It had three words written on the front of it, To my Darling, written in neat cursive.

Rarity paled when she recognized the hoof writing.

She unfolded the paper and found a letter written to her inside:

Rarity, the love of my life, due to the way things are, we will not be able to grow old together like we have always wanted and if you are reading this then I left you a lot sooner than I would have liked. I’m sorry, if you didn’t get to hear these words from my mouth before I left. It was never my intention to tell you like this, you mean much more to me than that. You got a lot more life to live than I do and after everything is all said and done, I don’t want you to be living your life like some old widow. If there is one pony in this world who does not deserve to be alone it’s you. Please, let yourself be happy and don’t let some old loyalty to me or anyone else that has gone away stop you. If this is the last you hear from me in this life, then I hope we meet again and know that I will love you till the end of forever.

Francis

There was a deep urge inside her to crumple the letter and burn it into nothing, but she instead took a breath. After calming down, Rarity folded the paper back and gently set it down on the small table beside her bed.

She finished gathering all her rubbish in a small pile and then left her bedroom to get ready for her day.

……………………………………………………………………………………………..

Rarity had just finished gathering all the trash and rubble in large black plastic bags. She had them stacked in a moderately sized pyramid at the foot of her stairs. Most of the mess had been dealt with besides the gaping hole in her bedroom. Luckily, it did not take too long with the help of magic.

Rarity chewed on her cheek a bit before she heard her front door open. She raised an eyebrow and walked towards the entrance.

She saw the Diamond Dog she met last night hopping up on her counter.

“Yo, what’s up?” said Spot. He nodded his head and got into a comfortable position on his side while propping his head up with a hand. His small tail was wagging slowly and he had a big smile on his face. He was a far cry from the cautious boy Rarity met last night.

Rarity cocked her head at him and his nonchalant greeting, taking a moment to recall the incident from last night. She almost thought that was just a dream, at least she hoped it was. Such mundane dreams were in short supply.

“Hasn’t anyone ever told you that it is impolite to just barge into other ponies houses?”

The little pup scratched his arm and gave a nervous chuckle. “Eh, I figured it couldn’t hurt. Plus, I really didn’t feel comfortable waiting out there, to be honest.”

Rarity just stared at the pup with a small frown on her face. She narrowed her eyes a little at him and caused Spot to fidget. “Well, whatever. What do you want?” she finally said.

Spot sat up and began inspecting his vest for lint. “To be honest, I just wanted to say I’m sorry for breaking into your house last night and to say thanks for not calling the fuzz on me.” He looked Rarity in the eye. “I was having a really bad day yesterday,” He finished.

Rarity smiled, “Well consider it forgiven. Now leave.”

Rarity quickly turned and left the room. She walked back to where she had her trash and gathered it all up in her magic.

“Damn, did you skip trash day or what?”

She turned around to see the Diamond Dog staring up at all the trash with wide eyes. Rarity narrowed her eyes at Spot. “You know where the door is, right? Or do you need me to lead you out?”

Spot ignored her and went to examine her bags of garbage. “You didn’t throw it away again, did you?”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Throw what away?”

“You know what I mean, the dress.”

In truth, Rarity had completely forgotten about it and how she found it in that chair during the first break in. She looked around her living room and spotted it peeking behind a box near the far end of the room still crumpled in the wad she left it in.

Spot put his paws on his hip and gave Rarity a stern look with those big blue eyes of his. “You really shouldn’t be throwing away perfectly good clothing like that. If don’t want it you can just donate it at one of the good will places in town. There are all sorts of folk that would kill to have something like that, I mean for real.”

Rarity stared at the Diamond Dog in front of her as her blood began to boil. Her eyes drifted where the dress landed, its warm colors of white and lavender flashing into her vision. She calmed herself down and gave Spot a withering look. “Who do you think you are? It’s my property; I can do with it as I please.”

Spot instantly backed off a little and raised his hands. “Whoa take it easy, I was just suggesting. I just figured that would be a better idea then letting it warm the rats.”

Rarity eyed the Diamond Dog suspiciously. “Well, you thought wrong. What were you doing rooting through my refuse anyway?” she said.

Spot gave her a confused look. “Your what?”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Refuse, it means trash.” She said evenly.

“Oh! Uh,” Spot’s cheeks turned a slight pink and he began to rub his arm. “I saw you throw it out the other night and I figured I would take it and put it to a better use, ya know?”

“That still doesn’t explain how it ended back it my house,” said Rarity giving spot a flat look.

“I had a bit of heat on me and I needed a place to lay low and this was my only option. It really didn’t work out and I had to leave, real quick,” said Spot, frowning at the memory.

“Yes, my stock of peanut butter can attest to that,” said Rarity in a huff.

Spot look down at his feet and looked away. “Yeah, sorry about that. I got hungry,” he mumbled.

“Hm, well as I said before, all is forgiven. Now if you do not mind I would be like left alone before my patience wears thin.” She turned back to what she was doing and began gathering up more of her garbage. She didn’t see his shoulders slump.

“Yeah, I can tell when I’m not wanted, so I guess I will see you around,” said Spot before he turned towards the entrance. Rarity stopped what she was doing. Once again remembering that child she knew from long ago. “Thanks again for not calling the cops on me,” he said walking away.

“Wait.”

He stopped mid step and turned to her with an eyebrow raised.

Her face was neutral but there was something in her eyes that he couldn’t place.

“You can’t have that dress as I have grown attached to it now, but I can make you another one if you are willing to work for it. As you might have noticed my home as been looking rather atrocious lately and I fear I might need some help to get it back to its previous pristine condition. If you don’t mind getting your paws dirty, I don’t see why you can’t assist me until you can pay for it.”

The Diamond Dog’s face brightened up instantly and he grew a big goofy grin as Rarity continued talking.

“Now if you take me on my offer, be warned, this would not be just for a couple of weekends. My dresses fetch a high price and it will take good amount of your ti-,”

“I’ll do it!” said Spot, startling Rarity with his volume.

Rarity scowled at the excited puppy. “As I was trying to say, it will be no easy task and you would be working for me quite awhile. Oh Also, if this whole venture of yours is some sort of ruse then the police are a phone call away, is that clear?”

“Crystal,” said Spot, giving Rarity a salute. A smile still plastered to his face.

“Good.” Rarity dumped a large bag of trash into his paw with her magic. He nearly collapsed from the weight. “Take this to the dumpster outside and come back for another. Oh, and no more talking, your voice is irritating me.”

Spot gave her a thumbs up and headed towards the front door in a unsteady wobble.
…………………………………………

After he came back, the two of them cleaned and removed the trash in silence. The Boutique began to look halfway decent by the time it became dark and Rarity decided to dismiss her new employee.

“ I need you to come and finish the cleaning tomorrow. We can then work out the details of your schedule once that has been completed,” said Rarity walking him to the door. Spot nodded silently while he listened to her words.

“You will also need to stay afterwards, so I can get your measurements for the dress you want so it will fit you properly.” Spot nodded again at that, but stopped a moment later as realization hit him.

“W-What? Whoa, you got it all wrong there, lady. The dress is for a friend of mine, n-not me. Honest!” His cheeks began to redden as he sputtered over his words.

“My Name is Rarity,” she said harshly. “If that is the case then have them come in or give me their measurement. I don’t care which.”

Spot wiped his forehead and felt like he just dodged a bullet. “Gotcha, Ms. Rarity, I’ll see you sometime tomorrow, sound good?” said Spot as Rarity began walking back to the depths of her boutique.
When he did not see a reply he felt it was as good as a time as any make his exit. “Alright, see ya,” he said, right before he was out the door.
When she was finally alone Rarity let out a breath she did not know she was holding in.

She all of a sudden felt exhausted and decided it would be best if she headed for her kitchen. She opened up a cabinet and floated out a bottle of wine she had hidden there. She then poured herself a glass.

Rarity watched the red liquid become still in her glass and she thought about what happened that day. Deciding something, she left the kitchen and headed to the now ruined storage room, the only room she had not touched since her incident.

Rarity had mostly avoided the storage room during her cleaning, opting to float any floor debris that she had initially missed through the gaping hole that was directly above the split open boxes. There were small photographs all over the floor, the probable contents of the ragged bits of cardboard that sat at the top of the ruined stack.

Rarity floated up two a face down photographs that were stacked on top of each other up to her eye level.

The first photograph was one of her sister lying in a hospital holding a swaddled, newborn foal in her hooves. Rarity’s face began to sag as she looked at the picture, she took a large sip of her wine. The next photo was an old family photo. In the picture Rarity was standing next to her husband and child, whose cute face was caught within mid sneeze. Rarity ran her hoof over the image of her husband’s face before traveling it down and lingering it on the child’s.

Author's Note:

Welp, here's the next chapter. Make sure to tell me what you think and if you see any mistakes let me know. See ya'll next week.