• Published 10th Dec 2018
  • 576 Views, 23 Comments

Spot - goddamnAnimal



Many years since her last great adventure, Rarity has become a bitter recluse living in a Equestria ravaged by time and tragedy, but when she meets a kid that interrupts her tailspin of monotony will she be able to finally let go of her past?

  • ...
1
 23
 576

Part 1

The sewing machine continued its job with a noisy, ugly sound. Rarity sat at her desk with her work glasses sitting at the tip of her nose and her lips tight against her jaw. She was applying a stitch to a white dress with pink and lavender laces. The dress was going to be beautiful. It had to be.

The aging boutique was quiet except for the sound of the sewing machine. The faint sound of crickets outside was drowned out by its noise along with whatever small creaks old houses make during this time of night. A few faint shadows were cast from the lamp that sat on Rarity’s desk, truly illuminating her work space, and only revealing a tiny amount clutter beyond that.

Rarity finished the last stitch she wanted to do on the dress. She stood up, held it up in the air with her magic and levitated some blue bows and sapphires. She began sewing them on with delicate precision. She brought the pattern in her mind’s eye to fruition with each movement of the needle. After she was finished, she continued to hold it up and eyed it for a long time with a small frown on her face. She let out a sigh, placed the dress on her desk and sat back down. She had always came back to those colors. The colors of her sister.

She sat there and stared down at it. She took off her work glasses and placed them quietly by sewing machine. She laid her head down on top of the dress and promptly burst into tears.

Rarity picked up the dress in her magic and wadded it up; she then threw the dress against the furthest window. There was a loud crash outside, near her trash cans. Rarity jumped in her seat when she heard it. She slowly got up, walked to the door and opened it exposing her to the frigid of winter. The unicorn shivered slightly and walked forward into the snow as small white flakes drifted lazily down. Rarity turned a corner where her trash was and sure enough the trash cans were overturned and their contents spilled everywhere. She whipped her head around and scanned her dark surroundings that were engulfed by the night. When she examined the spilled refuse closely, Rarity found the tracks of some sort of animal leading away from the mess.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“It was probably just a raccoon.” Twilight calmly took a sip of her tea.

Rarity was pacing the crystalline study room. Large bookshelves lining each of the walls and artificial light kept the room well lit. The whole setup kept Rarity on edge. Unsurprisingly nothing much had changed since Rarity had last been there even after such a long time.

“You think so? I wouldn’t put it past anypony coming around to see if they can steal some designs. Hmpf, like that would do them any good.” Rarity was looking a little rougher than usual since the last time Twilight saw her. Her hair was slightly frazzled in places and she had large bags under her eyes almost hidden by a heavy application of makeup.

“Speaking of which, how is the business going?” said Twilight, giving Rarity a slightly strained smile as she changed the subject.

Rarity stopped in her tracks. “The same as usual, profits have nearly tripled since last winter and they are opening three new locations in Baltimare, New Canterlot and Sugercube City.”

“Is that why you were up so late that night? Were you working on a commission?”

Rarity scoffed at that.

”I don’t do commissions anymore, Twilight. I’m retired. My dress-making is entirely for pleasure nowadays. I do keep up with the company I founded however.”

“Aren’t you worried about the decisions being made since you no longer run everything?” Twilight raised an eyebrow at her.

Rarity flipped her hair. “Oh please, I had a team of CEO’s running everything even before I left and it’s not like it isn’t making me any bits anymore. Even if they decide to run it into the ground it's not like it really matters. At least now I have more time do what I want instead of watching a bunch of riff raff waddle around,” She sneered.

Twilight gave her friend a concerned look. “Rarity, are you sleeping well at night?”

Rarity stopped and narrowed her eyes a little at her old friend.

“I sleep just fine, Twilight. Better than ever, actually.” She resumed her pacing. “Anyway, going back to the topic at hoof, you are probably right about it being a small animal. I really wish the city would do something about all the vermin infesting the streets. It’s atrocious.”

Twilight bit her lip and tried to hide her face. “They’re doing a lot better than before, but animals have been wandering into the city more often ever since… you know.” Twilight trailed off, not wanting the conversation to go down that road.

Rarity stopped in her tracks “Oh right. She always did have such a way with animals...” Rarity tried to keep her voice straight. Even after these many years, her friend was still hard to talk about. There was an oppressive silence between the two. Rarity’s rigid expression fell ever so slightly. Twilight looked at her friend and decided to take the plunge.

“Is everything okay, Rarity? You didn’t stop by after all these years to just talk about raccoons digging in your trash, did you?”

Rarity turned away from Twilight and clenched her teeth. “Twilight, darling, I’m doing just fine. Now can you please stop with the incessant questioning about my wellbeing?”

Twilight flinched at that and turned her attention to her teacup, silently watching the brown liquid as she thought of something to say.

“Hey, are you girls doing okay in there? Need some more tea?” rumbled the deep voice of Spike. He appeared in the doorway looking down at the two ponies in the room.

Twilight let out a relieved sigh. “No. Thank you, Spike. You’re welcome to join us though.” She smiled at her former assistant.

Spike gave his own toothy grin. “Heh, maybe later. Pan is telling me more about this new friend they met and I left right in the middle of one of their stories.”

Twilight chuckled. “Alright then. Try not to have too much fun, okay?”

“I’ll try.” Spike gave Twilight a little salute and them to their own devices.

Twilight turned her attention back to Rarity. “Pan finally made a friend last month. I’m so proud of them. ”

A cold chill ran down Rarity’s spine at the mention of that name. “Really,” said Rarity, keeping her tone pleasant.

“Yep,” Twilight looked down at her cup with a small smile. “And I’m going to try to get him into a school soon so he’ll have the opportunity to have even more friends.” Twilight’s smile widened at the thought.

Rarity looked twilight dead in the eyes. “Twilight, I mean no offense when I say this, but that is a terrible idea.”

Twilight’s smile fell and there was glint of anger behind her eyes. “What do you mean, Rarity?”

“Twilight, I’ve heard of what that child can do and I have seen the aftermath of such incidents in the past. All that power and you want to place it in a room full of terrified children and teachers? It’ll take more than your own hopes to keep something horrible from happening.” Twilight had closed her eyes while Rarity spoke and took slow controlled breaths before matching Rarity’s gaze.

“Rarity,” Twilight started off calmly, a neutral expression on her face. “While I understand your fears, I know Pan--who I have been raising as my own child, mind you-- far better than whatever gossip has told you. If you would actually take the time to come down and get to know him, you would feel the same way I do. “

Rarity looked away from her friend with a bitter frown on her face. “You can think whatever you want to think, Twilight, But when those school children die and they send that little creature’s head to you in a box, don’t come crying to me.”

Twilight’s façade broke for just a second and Rarity felt an unfathomable pressure in the air. Energy crackled off of Twilight’s form and Rarity, for a second, hoped she would unleash that power that has earned her the title of the world’s strongest alicorn.

But as soon as it came it was gone with a loud sigh. Twilight sat there for a while saying nothing. Rarity watched her passively with an expression of someone who was watching grass grow. The silence was only broken when a familiar dragon stuck his head through the door. “What’s going on? I felt a magic surge coming from here.” There was something small peeking out behind one of his legs, shivering. Rarity did her very best not to look at it.

Twilight closed her eyes for a second and composed herself before turning towards Spike. “Everything is fine, Spike. I just got a little to passionate in our discussion. You know how I get,” Twilight let out a small chuckle that Rarity could tell was fake. “You two go back to what you were doing. We will be fine, trust me.” Twilight offered Spike a kind smile and then gazed gently at the thing hiding behind his leg.

Rarity heard it shift ever so slightly and felt her skin crawl. She felt a darkness well up inside her.

Spike looked at Twilight skeptically before finally relenting. “Alright, but if anything is happening make sure you don’t keep me in the dark, okay?”

“Of course, Spike, and remember there are some cookies if either of you get hungry, okay?” Twilight lowered her gaze from Spike and gave a big smile and a wink.

Spike chuckled and slowly left the doorway looking back once. The thing followed him closely like a shade. Its shadow caught the corner of Rarity’s eye. Twilight watched the entrance until she could no longer hear their footsteps. She turned her attention back to Rarity with a stern glare.

“Rarity, Pan is the sweetest, kindest child I have ever met,” Twilight said with the utmost conviction. “And I know there is a risk but if I don’t pony up and treat him like a living, thinking being…” Tears began to appear at the corner of her eyes. “If I don’t set that precedent, then no one will.”

Rarity met her gaze with a stony face hardened by what the worst life can throw and spat, “You are a fool, Twilight.”

Rarity could feel the malice radiating off her old friend. “Get out of my castle, Rarity, before I do something I regret.”

Rarity turned away and slowly made her way out of the room, not sparing Twilight another glance or a goodbye. She silently moved through the castle, the sound of her hooves echoing off the crystal walls. The castle that usually looked magnificent now looked dark and lonesome. It gave a Rarity a bad taste in her mouth and she snorted in anger at everything. She went down some stairs and saw the exit in sight. The unicorn soon left the castle, finding the streets as empty as usual, but she could hear the city of Ponyville very much alive and awake in the distance. The city gave the castle wide berth in its daily goings on for a reason she knew all too well. Rarity grit her teeth and her eyes shrank to slits. Her horn glowed for a second and a massive crack appeared in the sidewalk.

She stood there, her words ringing through her head and once again felt too dead to cry.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Rarity hobbled along in the black void. The longer she walked the older she became. Her hair became gray and her body began to shrivel. The unicorn felt her life drain away.
Rarity looked down and saw she was a charred skeleton. There was pony obscured by shadows in front her. The pony became bigger with each second.
There was laughter.
The pony smiled and looked right in her eyes.
Wake up.
Rarity awoke.

Rarity continued to lie in her bed. She had been there since yesterday after she came home from Twilight’s. She tried not to remember the demons in her dreams and have another episode. Her room was in complete disarray, clothes and smaller items were scattered across the room. Trashy romance novels piled into a small mound on the side of the bed she was laying on. The clock on her nightstand read 1:28 pm. The phone started to ring again, most likely somepony from her company making sure she didn’t fall in a lake. Rarity let it ring. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her of a fridge that was nearly empty. She slowly got up, and made her way to the bathroom. Her hair was a mess and she had bags under her eyes. Her bathroom was just as much as a wreck as her room, white spots dotted the mirror and containers for makeup lay haphazardly in various places where they should not be.

Rarity looked in the mirror and saw a monster. She averted her eyes and grabbed a brush and some makeup to finally begin her day.

A little while later, Rarity made herself look halfway presentable and made herself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast. After eating, she walked out her door and locked it. She was wearing a large, fancy coat of ethically obtained fur. Before leaving her property, she checked the mailbox beside the door.It was stuffed with envelopes and a newspaper. Most of the letters were junk except a bright pink envelope, a letter from Pinkie. Rarity didn’t even open it to know what it was, a postcard with a picture of Pinkie Pie pushing her husband through some exotic jungle in his wheelchair. There would also be a few words written by Pinkie about her travels, how she misses Rarity, how she wishes Rarity would write to her more often, and blah blah blah. Rarity grimaced and crumpled the letter up in a ball with her magic. Somehow Pinkie always knew where to send the letter no matter where she moved.

The next thing she looked at was the newspaper. The big headline on the front read: “MASKLESS PRINCESS CELESTIA MENTALLY SCARS FOALS ON CASTLE FIELD TRIP” in big bold letters that Rarity could not help but roll her eyes at. The front page also mentioned some smaller articles, such as a massive graveyard full of unidentifiable broken bones found in an old mine and that there was something being planned for the thirtieth anniversary of the...

Rarity incinerated the newspaper in her magic and tossed the rest of the letters in her trash can. She headed down the road, there were ponies out and about despite the cold weather. She passed an obvious group of friends as they laughed about something or other. Rarity did her best to ignore them and anyone else on the streets. She stole a glance up at the barren and damaged Canterhorn Mountain. A blackened crater that disfigured the great spire was all that remained of the Canterlot of her youth.
A taxi drove by and Rarity flagged it down. It was one of those motorized horseless carriages that had become popular in recent years. Rarity was surprised that a place as small as Ponyville had a taxi service that implemented them, but the town had grown quite a bit since the last time she lived there and was the home city for princess of friendship herself so she guessed it was not completely unwarranted. She opened the back door when it stopped and climbed in.

“Where to, miss?” said the thick accented yak that was driving it.

“The marketplace.” Rarity didn’t look the yak in the face, instead opting to stare out the window at the ponies. The yak shrugged his shoulders and put his hoof on the gas. The automobile’s motor gave a purr similar to the furious repeated tapping of a typewriter and was off.

She watched as the scenery moved quickly around her. They passed a few stores as they went on. Most of them were new except for The Barnyard Bargains standing where it had always been and Rarity’s own store line, Rare Beauty. The vehicle braked sharply and Rarity caught the sight of the yak cabbie glaring at some colt jaywalking.

After that, it was a few more minutes of thoughtless gazing before the vehicle stopped at the busy outdoor market.

“That will be eleven bits please,” said the driver.

Rarity opened up the bag she had underneath her coat and hoofed him the fare before getting out, not paying him any more attention than needed.

The market was a little crowded with ponies and a few non ponies. Chatter filled the air as ponies bartered and had conversation. Rarity went into the crowd and headed to where the produce vendors had gathered. They were all lined up on both sides, with each little section selling various goods, their stands brightly colored. Near the end towards Rarity was a bulletin board with the wanted pictures of various rogues such as Billy the Goat, Flu Achoo, Discord the Spirit of Chaos, and Water Malone, along with job listing and various other undersernable fliers. A young, nerdy--looking stallion with glasses and zits all over his face was browsing them.

Rarity perused the selections, taking what she needed. When she had gathered what was wanted, she silently paid the vendor before moving to the next stall. She spied some of Applejack’s ilk near the end behind their apple stand, which Rarity made a point to avoid. After all, she was not in the mood for whatever optimistic hogwash would spew from their mouths.

After a while she managed to find most of the things that she needed and waited in line at the last stall she was going to for today. There was a small line of grocery shoppers in front of her. They were mostly chatting with each other or just remaining silent. Rarity tuned them out and everything else around her. She did spot a young colt staring at her before her attention completely waned. He stopped after the hard glare Rarity gave him. Her mind then finally wandered off and she failed to notice the ground shaking subtly behind her.

Rarity didn’t notice until the ground shook more forcefully in a series of short earthquakes. The ponies in front of her stood in terror at whatever was behind her before they darted off as fast as they could when a shadow fell upon the white unicorn.

Rarity turned around, looked up and saw the largest Minotaur she had ever seen. He was at least three times the size of Iron Will and was a pitch black color that blended into his furry bottom half. He was very well built and looked like he had the strength to crush a pony to dust with one hand. His eyes were a fiery red and he had a faint scowl as he stared on ahead. Rarity was not impressed.

“Look, if you are here to take over Equestria or whatever, could you perhaps do it on another day? I’m really not in the mood to be throttling supervillains.”

The big Minotaur looked down at the deadpan unicorn with the same unamused expression that was plastered on his face. He lifted up an overly muscular arm and held up a comparatively small grocery bag in between two fingers.

“I’m shopping. I’m not a supervillain.”
Rarity narrowed her eyes at the behemoth, studying him for a bit before finally letting out a harrumph and turning around. She ignored the Minotaur behind her and walked up to the vendor who was currently hiding behind his vegetable stand.

“Ahem,” she spoke, trying to get the lightly crying brown stallion’s attention. She began to scowl. “Oh, quit being so spineless and take my money already.”

The stallion looked Rarity in the eye then at her grocery bags and blurted out, “Twenty-four bits, please!”

Rarity pulled a small pouch from her fur coat and emptied the bits onto the counter before walking off, not giving the scene anymore thought. She walked to the edge of the market and thought about getting another taxi but decided against it. The unicorn began to walk slowly down the sidewalk, the occasional motorized carriage whizzing by, and headed towards her house with her grocery in tow.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Rarity walked down the street with her bags floating around her in a magical glow. Snowflakes were beginning to lazily drift down to the ground. The streets were properly populated with ponies going about their day with the occasional sight of foals playing in the snow. An old vagrant pony was bundled up on a bench staring at nothing. There was a tin can lying on the ground beside him.

“Could you spare some change, Miss?” said the old vagrant, looking up as Rarity passed.

Rarity gave him a sharp glare that caused him to turn away and scoot further away on the bench.

She continued on, her mind drifted to the grand adventures she used to have with her friends, saving the world from some such disaster or evil and away from the dreary winter streets of the present.

Rarity rounded a corner and her old boutique, now just a house, was in sight with only a block or so remaining. She walked along with the cool air brushing against her face and a faint frown forming on her lips. Her eyes began to unconsciously drift upward at the overcast sky and she daydreamed the rest of the way to her house. Rarity was so lost in thought she didn’t register a group of kids had ran past until one ran into her with a wet splat. The child mumbled something before disappearing out of Rarity’s field of vision. Rarity just stood there staring at all the mud on her nice fur coat. She watched as the mud slowly dropped small chunks into the snow.

All the grocery bags dropped from her magic and a pillar of energy erupted from Rarity. Her eyes glowed, ready to bring down wrath on the thing that earned her scorn. Her mind quickly caught up with her emotions before she could bring annihilation upon the city of Ponyville. She took a deep breath and extinguished the energy around her. She used a spell to separate all the mud from her coat, making it look like what it was before. Her groceries were scattered around her in a circle. She once again used her magic to gather them up, looking more tired than angry. She walked slowly to the front door, only to find it wide open. She gave it a confused look; almost certain that she locked it before she left. She then noticed the hair pin in the door lock and her expression darkened considerably.

She checked the place for a ransacking but the boutique was just as messy as she left it, except for one little detail. The dress she was working on yesterday was lying against a chair in front of the old counter. This struck Rarity as most odd since she stuffed it in a garbage bag and threw it out with the rest of the trash when she could no longer stand the sight of it the other night. It was a little dirty and had an old wrapper stuck to it but it was otherwise in the same condition she last saw it. Rarity pondered why somepony would do such a thing. Someone must be trying to send her a message, perhaps an envious business rival or an up-and-comer. The world of fashion has continued to be a vicious place with many jealous of Rarity’s longstanding success and fame.

Rarity felt a bitter taste form in her mouth and the fire she once had died yet again to her normal apathy. Such matters hadn’t been an interest for a long time. She took off her coat and placed it on a coat rack by the door. She closed the door behind and slowly turned her head back to the dress. She crumpled it into a ball with her magic and haphazardly flung it into the door behind the counter, landing somewhere in the clutter of the living room. She then began to make way to her kitchen. Before she could make it very far she felt something squeak loudly beneath her hooves. She looked down to see that she was stepping on a small rubber rolled up newspaper.

She levitated it up to her eye level, giving it a look of confusion before continuing her trip to the kitchen. She set it on the counter and placed her groceries in the appropriate places. She noticed her peanut butter was left out on the counter despite Rarity remembering that she put up back in her cabinet that morning. It was licked clean. A vein popped in her temple and her eye twitched. She lifted the rubber newspaper and brought it into the living room where she then laid on her old fainting couch. The couch’s color was faded and its cushions were worn out with a few small holes revealing its fluffy insides. It was well past its prime and looked ready to finally give up the ghost someday soon. Rarity couldn’t bring herself to throw it away.

Rarity examined the squeak toy more closely. In big letters it was named the “The Daily Growl” and it was lined with smudged paragraphs that Rarity could not make out except for a few dog related words. Perhaps the pony that broke in dropped it. She couldn’t really think of another plausible explanation for it. She couldn’t think of a reason why they would be carrying it. She also could not think of a reason on why she would care. She decided she would ask around tomorrow if anyone had seen anything. What kind of imbecile breaks into a house in the middle of the day? She rubbed one of her eyes with a hoof and set the squeaky toy on the arm of the couch, right above her head. Her eyelids were beginning to drift downward and she felt a momentary pang of guilt for wanting to sleep an hour before it officially became evening. She stared at the ceiling, not wanting to look at how messy the living room was. Rarity finally gave up on doing anything the rest of the day and slowly drifted off to sleep.
………………………………………………………………………………………………….


There was a crash and Rarity’s eyes shot open. She sat up on the couch and scanned the dark room. It was nearly pitch black and Rarity could tell that night fell long ago. The end table that sat next to her fainting couch was currently on its side. The squeaky toy was gone,as if to mock her. She scanned the room and saw there were boxes and clutter everywhere on chairs, tables, and simply just strewn about, creating too many hiding spaces to count. She listened to the oppressive silence around her for the smallest of noises that she could find. She was fruitless in her endeavor, but she could feel the presence of someone standing still in the dark, perhaps waiting to escape or to strike Rarity down at the right moment. Rarity rubbed her eye with a hoof and let out a big, unrestrained yawn and smacked her lips loudly.

She then levitated every single object in the living room and then lit up her horn in a illumination spell without breaking a sweat.

There was a high pitched yelp and the squeak of that rubber newspaper behind her. Rarity turned around towards the noise. What she had seen raised her eyebrows a little.

There underneath the fainting couch was a creature that Rarity had not seen in a long time.

The creature’s disproportionately large claw-like hands gripped the sides underneath the old couch. Fur the color of warm milk covered the little being from head to toe and light brown spots were spread graciously over its surface. One was on his head staining one of his eyes and a floppy ear. Another was on his hand like a big goofy wristwatch. A small one was on the furthest toe on his left foot going up a skinny leg. The last big one was off center from his chest, obscured by a ratty, loose-fitting vest that might have been a light pink if it weren’t marred by stains of every color of the rainbow and then some. Its pockets appeared to be stuffed with crumpled up pieces of paper with the caps of pins sticking out the top of the front pockets. His fur was also pot marked by little darker spots that Rarity could tell were bits of dirt. His droopy ears fell limply at each side of his head slightly touching the rubber news paper gripped firmly in his mouth.

In front of Rarity was a tiny Diamond Dog.

It took a little bit for Rarity to drop the look of surprise and fall into something more unamused. The interloper’s little fangs dug further into the squeaky lump of rubber. It had been a long time since Rarity had seen a Diamond Dog and never one this small. By the large, round eyes--the deep blue pupils of which shrunken and watching her every move--and the cute little nose, Rarity could tell it was most likely a little pup or whatever Diamond Dogs are called when they are young.

“What are you doing in my house?” Rarity asked bluntly.

The little pup narrowed his eyes at Rarity before mumbling something unintelligible before darting his eyes to the floor.

Rarity stood there waiting before giving up with an annoyed sigh. She gently sat down everything she was levitating, turning the couch upside down in the process to simultaneously try to get the kid out from underneath it and to prevent any possibility of accidentally crushing him.

The pup spat the toy into his hand then darted away from her and to the front door. Rarity got him in her magic before he could get too far.

“Let go of me, lady!” he yelled, his voice was light and squeaky. It kind of reminded Rarity of her of someone she used to know a long time ago.

But she wasn’t going to think of that.

He squirmed in her magic while throwing her some dirty looks. Rarity scowled at the child. “Quit being such a ruffian and be still.”

She sat him on the ground and placed a force field around him. His eyes darted around the magic barrier before huffing, folding his arms, and planting his butt on the floor.

Rarity rubbed her temples and turned toward the kitchen.

“I need some tea.” She said to herself.
She lifted a couple of tea bags out of a cabinet and went to prepare the teapot. She stood there and watched it until the pot began to whistle and poured two cups. She walked back to the living room where the young diamond dog was currently trying to dig through her floor. Rarity cleared her throat and he stopped. Rarity dropped the force field and sat the cup in front of him. She pulled her couch over in her magic and took a seat on it.

She slowly took a sip while the pup in front of her was giving the cup in front of him a perplexed look,

“It’s not poisonous,” said Rarity, rolling her eyes.

The dog gave her the stink eye and put his hands on his hips, before looking away.

Rarity gave an exasperated sigh and then took a sip of her cup and looked at him with a neutral expression.

His eyes darted back and forth between Rarity and the cup of tea. Rarity decided not to give the situation any more attention.

She looked away to the far side of the room and took another sip of her tea, listening to the silence for just a second. She looked back at him to see him improperly holding the cup of tea. Rarity decided it would be a little much to correct him.

“So, I presume that you have a name?” She asked.

The Diamond Dog looked into the pool of light brown liquid in his hands and appeared to be thinking deeply, perhaps contemplating if he should tell her at all. He opted to stare at Rarity distrustfully.

“Oh please, it’s not like I’m going to mistake you for some other little Diamond Dog roaming around. You are the first one I’ve seen in years.”

The pup bit his cheek and his eyes drifted to a corner of the room. “The name’s Spot,” he said, finally relenting.

“Spot, hmm? Well, Spot, despite what you may have heard, there really isn’t anything worth breaking into here for, as you may have already found out. I would refrain from doing so again in the future as I might not be so accommodating next time.” Rarity said before he took a big swig of her tea as she wondered if she should get some wine for herself instead.

“I wasn’t stealing,” Spot muttered.

Rarity gave him a flat look. “I haven’t really checked to see if anything is out of place, but I did notice someone had pilfered my peanut butter.”

She watched Spot as she said that. The Diamond Dog’s cheeks turned a little pink at the mention of peanut butter. She spotted a small bulge in the diamond dog’s vest and guessed it was the squeaky newspaper she found earlier. “Is that little squeaky toy the reason you came back?” Rarity asked.

Spot blushed deeper and tried to hide it by turning himself away completely. The reaction almost managed to bring a smile to Rarity’s lips. She once again caught specks of dirt hanging from the Diamond Dog’s coat and scowled. “I can see you are absolutely filthy from running around out there in the dark.”

The pup didn’t say anything, but Rarity could see his ears flatten. “There is a rag in the kitchen that you can use to go wipe yourself off with so you don’t look so disgusting.” said Rarity, rubbing her eyes with a hoof. “If you are worried about the police, forget it. I am far too tired to deal with any of their nonsense.”

Spot turned and looked at the mare before him with a hint of shock on his face. Rarity drank the rest of her tea and left the tea set there, making a half hearted promise to pick it all up in the morning before turning back to Spot. “Don’t break into my house again or I won’t be so lenient next time. You are free to leave after you finish washing up.” She laid back down on the couch and did not bother to look back at the child again.

She heard him finally patter off and then heard the faucet in the kitchen turn on. A few moments later the sound of running water stopped and she heard him walk out the front door. After a few more minutes of silence, Rarity decided to head to her room before she fell asleep on the couch again. She walked up the stairs and into her room. Rarity flopped down on her bed and laid there. She waited for sleep to take her and ignored the quiet laughter in the back of her mind.

Author's Note:

That's the first chapter folks. The rest of the story is finished and I will be posting them weekly/ biweekly on Mondays or something. Depending on how quick I can give them a once over.

Anyway, I hope you all like it and don't forget to comment and tell me what you think.