• Published 9th Dec 2011
  • 2,393 Views, 71 Comments

Midday in the Heart of Equestria - Wheller



In the midst of the World Leaders Conference, Princess Celestia reflects on a time long gone by.

  • ...
6
 71
 2,393

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

‘Tia! Pay attention!’ Luna said quietly, gently prodding her sister with a hoof. The Sisters Royal were already waist deep in arguing world leaders. King Olaf and King George were both ready to leap from their seats and across the table to get at each other’s throats, as were Cheval de Gaulle and Saul Goebbels.

Celestia was more than annoyed with them already, but she couldn’t adjourn the conference yet, they’d only been here for ten minutes.

‘He hem’, Princess Celestia said quietly. Everyone in the room fell silent and looked at her. ‘I don’t think I understand the issue here. King Olaf? What is your issue with King George?’

Olaf scoffed. ‘King George is a greedy imperial warmonger who wishes to see his union flag over the entire world! He sees what he wants and he takes by force!’

‘King George? What is your issue with King Olaf?’ Celestia asked.

‘King Olaf is pushy, he sees what he wants and he tries to take it by force or manipulation of others, where it not for us he would overrun the entire world!’ King George replied.

Princess Celestia glanced at the two of them for a moment. ‘Well, it seems to me that you two are the same person then’.

‘I... what?’ King George said.

‘You... what?’ King Olaf said.

Both gryphon and pony glanced at each other in shock.

Princess Celestia then turned to de Gaulle and Goebbels, and asked them the same; both of them began yelling in their respective languages, which caused Princess Celestia to shush them again.

‘It seems that your problem is that you are not willing to communicate with each other effectively, perhaps if you tried speaking a language you both understood, you might have better results?’ Celestia asked.

Goebbels and de Gaulle looked at each other with the same bewildered look that Olaf and George were giving each other.

‘Now, with that information, I think it best we adjourn for the rest of the day, and think about these revelations and where to go from here, no?’ Celestia asked.

Everyone rose from their seats and quietly filed out of the room, leaving Celestia and Luna alone once again.

‘Tia! What are you doing?! You are wasting a whole day that we could use for negotiating!’ Luna cried out.

‘Yes, and we’ll get more done over the next three days than would ever been accomplished otherwise’, Celestia said plainly.

‘You had better hope so’, Luna said. ‘Because if things do not turn around, I will be taking lead at this conference, you may not care about what goes on in the rest of the world, but I do. What we do here the next three days will impact the political climate of the entire world’.

‘Fair enough’, Celestia said with little interest, causing Luna’s temper to flare. She said nothing, and rose from her seat and trotted out of the room. Celestia only sighed, and then rose from her seat and returned to her room to ready herself to visit Ponyville.

...

Queen Gaia was ordinarily an effectively direct ruler, while she was an absolute monarch, she was as kind as she would be, and as fair as she could be, however, in the days following the testing of the sunburst project. Queen Gaia’s government had effectively stopped. Celestia was worried that something was wrong, though her mother assured her that everything was fine.

However in the weeks that followed, her mother became increasingly frail for seemingly no reason. So much in fact that that she surprised everypony by naming Duke East Wind of Cloudsdale as regent, which caused something of an outburst in Canterlot’s unicorn dominated high society. Celestia knew that they would hardly accept a Pegasus pony as their ruler, Queen Gaia had to have known that it would cause problems too, so why East Wind?

King Aether had all but barricaded himself in his queen’s bedroom, refusing to leave her side until she would become well, calling for the best doctors that Canterlot had to offer, though none of them were able to discover the reason behind the queen’s sickness.

Rioting broke out in the streets when Duke East Wind arrived and took his place upon the throne as regent. He was forced to send out the Canterlot Police Service’s CO19 riot police in force to put the riots down, hardly cementing his position as a popular one.

Celestia spent several minutes studying the Duke before approaching him for the first time. The grey coated Pegasus would have partially blended in with the background of the sky city of Cloudsdale with his snow white mane. What stuck out to her the most was the Duke’s ruby red eyes, Celestia noticed that the duke dressed simply, wearing only a red cape tied around his neck. His cutie mark was a cloud with the wind blowing east.

Celestia quietly approached the Duke and bowed respectfully to him, he was regent. ‘Your Grace’, she said.

‘Your Highness, please, I should be the one bowing to you’, East Wind said. ‘Frankly, I don’t know why I’m even here, surely, there would be a better choice of regent in either you, or your sister... but when the Queen asks you to do something, well can’t readily say no, can you?’

‘No’, Celestia said. ‘I suppose not’.

East Wind stepped down from the throne and towards the windows overlooking the streets. CO19 officers in riot barding were shooting at the crowd with rubber bullets and using their unicorn magic to lob tear gas grenades to force them to disperse. ‘They really don’t like me, do they?’

‘I suppose not’, Celestia said with a shrug.

‘Can’t say I blame them, there are no pegasi in Canterlot’, East Wind said simply. ‘Not exactly allowed... a kingdom of three races... though they are not equals’.

‘What are you getting at Your Grace?’ Celestia asked.

‘That this... racial violence? This is not right’, East Wind said. ‘Somepony needs to do something about it. What if... what if the power structure were to be reformed? Queen Gaia is a fair and just ruler, but nopony ever thought something like this would happen... what if power was shared? Then this sort of crisis would never happen again...’

‘Your grace!’ Celestia exclaimed. ‘Such ideas... those are treason!’

‘Treason? No, no, it is not treason without action, and it is merely a thought... probably wouldn’t work anyway, think nothing of it, Your Highness’, East Wind said simply.

It was at this point that Celestia had formed her opinion of East Wind. He was dangerous; something would need to be done about him.

...

Twilight Sparkle was in full out panic, she was pulling books off shelves in the Library and putting them back trying to insure that they would be straight. Rainbow Dash had tried to calm her, though it had failed spectacularly. Twilight Sparkle’s obsessive compulsive tendencies were usually not as pronounced, but when Twilight started to get worked up, everything had to be perfect.

Rainbow Dash had once thought Twilight’s obsessive compulsive tendencies were funny, and just the egghead getting worked up over nothing. Then she discovered that it was an actual medical condition that plagued many ponies. It could be physically painful for a pony if their bed sheets were not perfectly straight. Some had to turn light switches on and off a hundred and fifty times before they were comfortable. Rainbow Dash figured that Twilight was lucky; her obsessive compulsiveness was somewhat mild compared to others. At least, that had been what Doctor Nightly had said.

‘Twilight... I’m pretty sure...’ Rainbow Dash said.

‘The Princess is coming here, Rainbow Dash! Everything has to be perfect. Everything has to be straight. If everything is not perfect, the Princess will think something is wrong! And if the Princess thinks something is wrong... then we’re all screwed!’ Twilight said, pushing Rainbow Dash out of the way and continuing to check if everything was straight.

Rainbow Dash looked over to Spike, who was reading a magazine in the corner.

‘This is nothing’, Spike said without looking up from his magazine. ‘She’s been worse’.

Well that didn’t help at all.

There came a knock at the door, Twilight was too busy checking if ‘The Elements of Harmony, A reference guide’, was straight for the sixteenth time. So Rainbow Dash trotted over to it and opened the door.

To her surprise, Vinyl Scratch, Surprise, and most shockingly, Monty Ulan standing outside the door.

‘Hi! We’re nephite missionaries, and we’d like to talk to you about god and how we’re right and you’re not!’ Vinyl Scratch proclaimed with a grin.

Rainbow Dash sighed. ‘Not now Vinyl, we’re in the middle of a mild crisis here... Twilight’s being obsessive compulsive’.

‘Oh really? I should turn one of her vases a quarter of a centimetre to the left and see if she notices!’ Vinyl exclaimed as she walked in.

Within seconds, Twilight Sparkle was in her face. ‘Vinyl... Princess Celestia is coming here. I need you to be on your best behaviour! We don’t want a repeat of Trotterdam!’

‘I put out the fires!’ Vinyl exclaimed.

Twilight sighed and added simply. ‘You made them worse!’