• Published 26th Apr 2018
  • 621 Views, 108 Comments

Secret Search - computerneek



She's keeping a secret. She doesn't know what it is herself, yet somepony is already onto her.

  • ...
0
 108
 621

Chapter 13: Discovered

Whoosh!


Guards and porters alike scatter as the Night Princess appears on the Cloudsdale Docks in a flurry of midnight hair.

Silence holds for about three seconds as she looks rapidly around the dock, her mane flying about as a glistening stream.

Next, her sister appears next to her in a momentary blaze of light, beginning a similar search.

Unfortunately, neither Princess is able to locate the object of their search during these cursory searches, and they turn to the nearest returning Guard. Princess Luna very nearly uses the Royal Canterlot Voice, but catches herself barely in time, allowing her solar sister to speak for the two.

“Where is the airship Secret?” Princess Celestia asks.

A guard points. “Dock thirteen. We’ve had at least one more interested party stop by, so we’ve covered it in a perception filter.”

The Princess raises her eyebrow. “Oh?”

The guard nods. “She’s still there.”

Luna gazes at the dock in question for a second, then lets out a gasp, looking up at something. Celestia, after looking askance for a second, follows suit- and also sees through the military-grade perception filter. “Wow.”


Crack!


Princesses and clouds part with equal abandon as the Princess of Friendship appears half-embedded in the dockway.

Not that that poses any problem for her; she’s forced to flap her wings a couple of times anyways, in order to avoid falling through the small ring of open sky in the dockway. She lands almost casually on the outer end of the dock. “Princess!” She glances to the sides, identifying the two princesses returning to their positions. “What…. Wait. Why do you feel like Lyra…?”

The two Princesses both raise their eyebrows. “Lyra?”

Twilight nods. “Yes. She’s always got this odd thaumic feel to her; it’s something I noticed immediately after my ascension. But you never had that feel, and now…?”

The solar Princesses look at each other, then back towards Twilight.

“Could you, perchance, meet us in the throne room?” Celestia asks.

Twilight nods. “Sure. When?”

“Now?”

Blink. “Uh, okay, I’ll be waiting.” Crack!

The remaining princesses share a smug look and walk towards the airship… They have to pause for a couple seconds to spot it through the filter again. They walk up to the door- the same door, in fact, that the rogue guards had entered through. They look at each other for a second, and share a nod, before Celestia raises her hoof to knock.

Before she has a chance to even touch the door, though, they hear a voice.

“Princess Celestia. Princess Luna.”

It sounds a little strange, like a stallion speaking through a short pipe.

Celestia’s hoof freezes shy of the door, and she lowers it back down, searching for the voice. “Hello?”

“I’m talking through the ship,” the voice answers. “You won’t be able to see me, but I can you.” Celestia decides it’s coming from a couple spots near the door. “Did you want something?”

She looks at the door once again, scowling. “Can we meet, face-to-face?”

“I’m afraid that won’t be possible for a couple days. Shall I visit Canterlot at my next opportunity?”

She raises her eyebrows. “Oh? Why might that be?”

“It’s… Complicated. I promise I’ll show up in Canterlot if you want me to.”

Her scowl intensifies. “How soon?”

“Um… I think I can make it in about a week. I’ll use the same name I did last time… Blueberry Truffle, was it?”

She tilts her head. “Nah, you’ll get swamped. Maybe… Hmm…”

“Golden Notes?”

“Mm?”

Luna raises her eyebrows. “Isn’t that somepony else…?”

The voice chuckles. “If so, she lives with me. How about…” It trails off.

The Princesses look at each other for a few seconds, waiting.

“Strawberry Sundae.”

They share a nod. “That works,” Celestia agrees. “See you then.”

Luna dissolves into arcane mist. Celestia is about to follow suit, but it speaks up again.

“Oh- and if you could thank the guards for me, for putting up the perception filter? It’s nice not to have to worry about intruders while I recover and repair.”

“Will do,” Celestia nods, before turning away from the ship to trot back down the ramp.


“Uh, okay, I’ll be waiting.” Crack!

Twilight teleports straight to the Canterlot throne room. Presumably, the Princesses wanted to talk to her about it in private, hence why they’d-

Wait. They’re relaxed on their thrones, like they’ve been waiting. She blinks. “Wha- How?”

Princess Celestia smirks. “It’s one of Starswirl’s lost spells, actually. Somepony by the name of Blueberry Truffle was able to recover the self-projection spell for us.” Her glowing horn brightens for a moment, and a scroll appears in her grip. She places it on the floor between them and Twilight. “What was that you said about… Lyra, was it?”

Twilight tears her eyes away from the scroll, her magic itching to unroll it, to look up towards the Princesses. “Uh, yes, it was Lyra. Ever since I ascended, she’s always had this strange thaumic feel about her. I’m pretty sure it’s something I simply couldn’t detect beforehand, and I labelled it as just part of who she is.

“When I went to Cloudsdale- I heard something important was going down there- I immediately noticed that same… difference from you. Which I never did before, even post-ascension.” She looks back up at them- her eyes had drifted to the scroll as she spoke. “Which I’m not feeling right now.”

Princess Luna nods, glancing at her sister for a second. “So, this Lyra must be using this spell?”

Twilight shrugs. “That’s… The only logical conclusion, yes.”

Luna allows a small smile to grace her face. “Try it yourself,” she urges.

Twilight seizes the scroll in her magic, unrolling it almost faster than physics would allow. She spends a few seconds studying the scroll, then closes her eyes, and her horn flashes.

Two Twilights now stand, side-by-side, in the throne room. Both gasp, and turn to look at each other. Though, the new one looks the wrong way first. Both horns flash periodically.

The second Princess of Friendship finally disappears into arcane mist, the first turning back to Luna.

“It’s… I don’t know. It feels the same, but Lyra’s always been a weak unicorn.”

Princess Luna’s horn stops glowing. “Any chance you could be present whenever one Strawberry Sundae schedules a meeting with the Crown?” she asks.

“Huh?”

She smiles. “It seems Blueberry Truffle was only one face for this pony- who just agreed to make a visit to the Crown, under the name Strawberry Sundae. We already know she uses this spell frequently.”

“Oh! Of course I can! When is it?”

She shakes her head. “Around a week… We won’t know until she schedules it officially. We’ll send you a letter as soon as we find out?”

Twilight nods. “Thank you!”


“You’re sure we’ll meet her here?”

Agent Sweetie Drops, seated behind the counter of an empty candy shop, smiles in response. “Yep, I’m sure,” she answers, exposing her smile to the unicorn mare sitting next to her, also behind the counter.

“It’s been three days, though! Didn’t she say she could cast that spell again after only two?”

Nod. “She did, but I’m pretty sure she can’t just make them wherever.”

The door swings open. “I know, but couldn’t she have gotten a train or something within that time?”

Both mares ignore the hooves entering the building for the minute. “Maybe all the trains were full?”

Scowl. “It’s rare for all the trains to be full.”

Nod. “Yes, yes it is. But just because she hasn’t shown yet-”

“-Doesn’t mean I won’t,” the new mare cuts in, taking her place on the stool next to the counter.

Both Agents jump at the injection, twisting to look.

Agent Sweetie Drops nods calmly. “True.”

Lyra smiles. “As for why it took so long… Even the fastest train isn’t instant, and I often have to do a little extra work to maintain my cover.” She plucks gently at her instrument. “Or, in this case, I simply flew my ship from Cloudsdale.” Shrug. “Faster than waiting for public transportation, safer than jumping.”

Sweetie Drops smirks. “Too true, that.”

“So, how’d the trip go, if I may ask?”

She simply looks at Agent Hidden Light.

Agent Hidden Light smiles. “It went rather well, I think. You got us past all the tricky points; I don’t think anything ever came up against my scrying shield after that, but I held it until we were in the Director’s office anyways.” She shakes her head. “How do you even manage those spells?”

Lyra smirks. “I’m actually pretty close to Twilight… Pre-ascension Twilight, that is, in terms of power. Means I have a lot to throw around.”

Hidden Light scowls momentarily. “Anyways, we delivered the message without difficulty- did you know, the only security spell we ran into was in the janitor’s closet?”

A raised eyebrow. “That’s… Interesting.” Her horn pulses, and she breaks out into a gentle chuckle. “Did you know that security spoofer is still active?”

“Uh, yes, actually. It’s got, what, a day or two, if we don’t run into any such spells?”

“About, yes.”

“Ahh. After we delivered the message, I got promoted! I’m now Field Agent Hidden Light!”

“Oh? Nice! That makes you the same rank as Sweetie Drops, doesn’t it?”

Both mares nod, and the unicorn continues. “Oh, and they’ve also extended you- erm, Candy Stripes, specifically- an offer of Outside Agent status.”

A raised eyebrow. “Really?”

“Yep… Stripes got mentioned while we were telling them how we broke in.” Her smile suddenly splits her face in two. “Did you know it’s actually supposed to be difficult to do that?”

She nods. “I did know, actually. They haven’t been doing a very good job.”

The Agents laugh almost openly.

“That’s one way to say it,” Hidden Light continues. “We didn’t tell them anything about you or the Secret; pretty sure they still think Stripes isn’t on the Secret. In any case, they’ve given us a mission- all three of us, if you’re in.”

She raises her eyebrow. “And if I say no, it’s just you two?”

Nod.

“Ahh. What’s this mission?”

“Well… Remember the Agents I was running from when you first ran into me? We’re tasked with investigating them… as part of an investigation into an enormous rat’s nest we’ve apparently uncovered.”

“Wow. Um…” She rubs the back of her neck with one hoof, Candy Stripes plinking a tune on her instrument, next to her. “Sure, I’ll join.” She smirks. “Never know when we might need another house.”

Sweetie Drops looks at her weird while Hidden Light bursts out laughing.

“Another… House?”

Lyra smiles. “Back when I met her, I built a house on a docking platform to hinder pursuit. We were inside my ship- and flying away- by the time they got past it.”

“Aaaahh… So, we going to be taking your ship or the train?”

Shrug. “Did they specify a timeframe?”

She tilts her head. “They did, but it’s really anytime within the next month. They like giving us a lot of time whenever an Outside Agent is involved.”

Nod. “So, we can safely wait a week or so for my ship to get back from Canterlot.”

“Canterlot? Why there?”

“I have an obligation to fulfil… As Strawberry Sundae. Not sure exactly what Princess Celestia wants to talk about, but I guess I’ll find out.” She smirks. “I’ll just be dropping off that alibi and bringing my ship straight back here, then. Unless…” She gazes off into space for a second.

“Unless what?” Hidden Light asks.

Her smile builds. The music gains a distinctively cheerful tone. “Unless I could teleport the alibi straight to Canterlot, and have it take up residence in a hotel someplace until the appointment comes about. Almost too bad I already made the appointment.” She looks back at the two Field Agents. “Just did that, so the Secret is making a U-turn. She’ll be ready for you to board in about three hours.”

“What about you?” Sweetie Drops asks.

She chuckles gently. “You forget, I’m already aboard.” Her head snaps around, focusing on the door for a second. “Oh, and it seems Rain is here.” She looks at Sweetie Drops. “Wanna take her call in the back?”

A raised eyebrow. “You can sense her?”

Smirk. “She’s not very stealthy.”

“Ahh.” Sweetie Drops starts to trot towards the door to the backroom- and pauses halfway, turning back. “Come join us in a minute, maybe?”

Candy Stripes nods. “Sure thing!”

Sweetie Drops resumes her journey, then disappears through the door.

Hidden Light looks at Lyra. “Rain? Who’s that?”

“Her contact agent.” She smirks. “The one I met. Erm, after I chased off that ‘Molester’ bloke.”

She nods slowly. “Ahh… Then she’s probably gonna be my Contact Agent as well. He said we’d be sharing.”

Nod. “You able to apply that Outside Agent stamp thingy?”

“Huh? Um, yes, but not to one of these… ‘alibis’.”

“Ahh. Then, real me time.” She closes her eyes, and her horn flashes a few times.

Finally, with a flash of golden light, a second Lyra appears in the middle of the room, quickly glancing at her back while her own glowing horn flickers gently a few times. “Aaand… There. Real me, real teleport.” She smiles, trotting over. “That stamp?”

She blinks. “Uh, yes, then. This might feel a little… Strange.” Her horn glows for a few seconds.

Lyra giggles. “It tickles.”

“Aaand… There.” Her horn goes out. “All done.”

Smile. “Okay. Time to interrupt Rain, then.” As she leads the way, the other Lyra hops off the stool- replaced rapidly by the still-playing Candy Stripes- to take station behind the counter.

Field Agent Hidden Light then follows Outside Agent Candy Stripes through the door into the backroom. Funny, the darkness isn’t dark.


There! Her Agent, Sweetie Drops, has entered the backroom of her shop. Finally. The glow in her horn changes, switching from an invisibility spell over herself- she’d teleported in here with it- to the Fog, darkening the room. She’s glad the Fog doesn’t impede the caster’s vision.

“Good afternoon, Rain,” Sweetie Drops greets, pausing in her trot.

She smiles. It really is a nice nickname. “Afternoon,” she greets. Sweetie Drops immediately turns unseeingly towards her and settles down. If only the field agent could see through the fog- then RIA policy would let her lower it.

“Command break anything?” Sweetie Drops asks.

“Ahh… Possibly. Another crime syndicate. Trottingham.” She scowls at the floor. “I’ve also been assigned a third Field Agent.” She sighs, hanging her head. “Agent Hidden Light… You know her?” She tilts her head at the snickering Field Agent.

“Uh, yes, you could say I know her,” Sweetie Drops smiles. “As a matter of fact, she’s right outside that door, with Candy Stripes.”

“With- Oh.” She hangs her head, closing her eyes against the tears that try to form. She really misses talking to Candy Stripes; it had hit her hard when Command had insisted Sweetie Drops’ ‘Sidekick Clause’ didn’t exist, and nearly busted her for believing it. They’d left her on, though; something to do with not being able to fire her with the positive Agent Reports Sweetie Drops gave her. Though, if Sweetie Drops goes under investigation, that might just go out the window.

Her head snaps up and spins around as she feels the tingle down her back. Even as she does so, her horn probes against the spells she feels flying up around her, and lets out a gasp. “Candy-!”

The green unicorn entering the room, walking next to the green-maned unicorn, smiles. “Don’t worry, Rain- I’m an Outside Agent now.”

The white unicorn nods. “True. I’m Field Agent Hidden Light.” She holds out her hoof.

Rain quickly checks for the appropriate stamps… and finds them. “Ahh… Yes.” She takes the hoof. “I’m Rain- it’s nice to meet you.” She glances at Candy Stripes. “You’re using that sensory thingy again, aren’t you?”

Sweetie Drops nods in her peripheral vision, trotting over to join the other two. “Yep.”

She drops the Fog. “Finally. I hate using the Fog.”

Candy Stripes tilts her head, glancing sideways at Sweetie Drops, before she looks back at Rain. “I know we three have been given a new mission across the globe… No, it’s not a crime syndicate, it’s rather more proper tasks for RIA people. Wanna come along?”

All three mares turn to look at Stripes, blinking synchronously.

“What?” somepony asks.

Author's Note:

I challenge you to figure out who spoke that last line. Even I don't know.

As for updates... Yes, this one is late. I didn't think of it yesterday, until after I turned my computer off- then, of course, I had an idea for how I want chapter 19 to go while I was at work today, so I figured I'd publish this one while I was at it.