• Published 20th Apr 2018
  • 556 Views, 11 Comments

Our Lives Among The Equine - Fabian Corcair



We "animals" never get to speak in your language, Equines, but we do have some interesting tales to tell. Some perhaps disturbing. (And also, some Equines have disproportionate say in this, which I'm highly against)

  • ...
 11
 556

Squawk, We Say. Stay away!

In our park, our trees, our territory.

Squawk, we say. Stay away. Our young crow kin grounded on grass. We fly and circle around the canopy helpless but patient for nature to heal his wound.

Intruders. The Equine fledglings come in spite of our warning. They haul what the pony tongue calls instruments. We purely expect them to leave us alone as usual.

What are they doing? They creep closer curiously to our kin like some vulture. We squawk again, but we can only watch their actions with wary. One fledgling grey Equine with head’s nest black as night steps in front.

We glare.

She gallops in haste. Intruding on our recovering kin.

Squawk! We say. Cross the line you have.

She stops and drops the bulky instrument onto our companion.

Squawk! Squawk Squawk! We spoke. This is an outrage!

She picks up her weapon and runs away. The accomplice has fled like its friend to the outskirts like a coward, no need to pay heed to it.

We swoop down with furry. In sadistic delight, we take turns attacking this fledgling’s head’s nest. Bullying the bully. Go away, we squawk.

The reckless fledgling trots away, it’s head’s nest a messy fray. The fledgling was a stranger to us, but the other Equine fledgling calls it Octavia. May it’s carcass be fed to our kind after its passing.

We return to check our kin. His wing broken, body bruised, but no injury inflicted upon him.

We scan the area for intruders. No more Equines. We scavenge the area for worms and scraps. Our grounded friend join our feeding, hopping like a rabbit. We wait for dusk to break by roost in nests, while our grounded friend rests in the cold wet grass.

When dawn breaks, the companion crow wakes. We wake to see what to us was unseen, joyful that the crow flies again. It’s common to hear us make cynical talks, but it’s rare and mythical to hear our elated Squawks.

Squawk, we say to start the day. Say nay to neighs, we say. That’s just our way.