• Published 20th Apr 2018
  • 555 Views, 11 Comments

Our Lives Among The Equine - Fabian Corcair



We "animals" never get to speak in your language, Equines, but we do have some interesting tales to tell. Some perhaps disturbing. (And also, some Equines have disproportionate say in this, which I'm highly against)

  • ...
 11
 555

Murky Mystical Bonds---Part 6 (The Equestrian side of things)

What a splendid ceiling. All those colors dancing for my happy feels, and I wonder... What is life? What is good or bad? Is what I'm doing here and now good or bad?

Oh, shoot! How long I've been laying on the floor staring at colors like this? My body feels like a rock---I'm too lazy to move. Octavia wouldn't mind. Am I doing drugs? Memory, please?... Nope, I'm zoning out earlier to my music again. For your information, I have a bit of fun with my synesthesia all the time. It's a truly out of world experience. That sweet beat's pretty awesome though. It did good at taking my mind off things, but I can't shake off that petty argument between my friend Octavia and the hospital owner, something about stupid politics. I think it's best for me to check on my them just in case.

I poise on my forehooves. Octavia was there right in front of me. A chill lurked in my soul.

"Hi, I love your sunglasses " Octavia drooled, eyes glowing a yellowish light-green.

"What Dabuq!" I threw earmuffs off of me and jolted backwards, and hi-fi down sideways and dropping my headphones. My head gave the plastered wall a solid thud, the pain prodded me to hiss in pain. Without the distracting colors and shades, mere bland white light blinded me. I rub the back of my noggin. "Octavia, what happened to your eye bandages. They’re gone!” I shouted in anger.

A voice of a stranger male billowed in laughter, booming from every corner in the well-lit jumbo-sized hospital room.

All of my friends were standing around me in an eerie circle, their heads closing on me.

"Do you need any help madame?" asked Frederic, eyes glowing as Octavia's but light-green. No worry-wort, is he okay?

"Do you need comfort my master?" asked Parish, sharing the eyes as well. No complaining?

"I'm sorry for making fun of you, please forgive me." Beauty bowed down. Her too. No sarcastic quips?

I eye the business stallion bowing at my hooves “Forgive my trespasses against Octavia, master Vinyl, it was for the best to speed up the process.” Master? He share the eyes as well.

I feel an intense unease. I laughed nervously. "At least you four are an improvement. Ha, ha, ha.

“You look terrible, mistress, need some assistance?” Octavia sucked up the dribble from her cheek.

My heart stopped. “Octavia, you can see again!... I would feel ecstatic if you weren’t a zombie slave.” Was it the one who's laughing did this?

The echoey laughter silenced. "So you can talk? Eh, a sense of humor... Like what you see, DJ Pon3?"

I freeze.

Leaving two mare Nurses behind, a dwarf changeling dragged his long flowing mane across the floor---wearing glasses? "Don’t freak out. I’m not here to hurt anyone. I ask that instead of fight, flight, or freeze, how about befriending and reason, please?" He asked in a pleasant tone.

As the pain subsided, a fuzzy feeling creeps around in the insides. I yell, "What are you doing---!?"

"Oh shucks, you ponies are like sheeple. No guts," he asserted. "Too stubborn to think to think and stand up for themselves. Are you not the same?”

"Uhh... No, sir," I lie. This changeling has a screw loose---but I reckon I’m good not having at a taste of that brainwashing magic.

"Good thinking, mare,” he gave a toothy grin that show off his shiny fang. “I believe that all Equines can forge their lot in life on good merits and elbow grease. Whether it’s through money or political power. Unfortunately, most are fools who choose to let themselves to be deceived, like your friends. “

I stand up and gawk in disbelief. “Pft, I’m pretty that doesn’t make a difference. You've brainwashed them!”

“Did I?” A sapphire aura held up several scrolls together in a neat pile. “They had the option to not sign the contracts. The print was clear. Brass signed because she was responsible for Octavia’s dept, so I paid it off; Frederic and Parish signed because they wanted to cure Octavia’s blindness, and so I gave her vision; Peter wanted to have a successful business to preserve his father’s legacy, and so I gave him just that. In return, for 8 hours a day or less, they’ll fight against that greedy Celestia and her nobles, and establish a meritocracy for ALL equines. Just you wait!”

I pick up my poor shades off the floor. Something is wrong with my head. I can’t shake off that fuzzy feeling. First things first. “Why are---”

“I believe all Equines are capable of being rational.” The dwarf changeling’s blue’s eyes stared up at the ceiling in sorrow. “However, we’ve become subservient to ‘superiors’. Convenience trumps action. It’s easier to sign a contract to solve your problems than to work for it, get a real job ponies. If they didn’t make the contract, they’d chosen to be actual slaves! In defense---”

I shoved a hoof in his mouth. “You talk too much. Anyway, you know I’m an owner of a DJ club, right? There’s more to business than just contracts. Respect is key to---”

He swats my forehoof away. “Hey, don't touch me, jerk! I’m not finished talking. And, on that note...”

I rolled my eyes.

He ranted on and on about some beef with Celestia being bossy or something. Strange. The numbing sensation is becoming stronger and stronger. He finally finished. Then subsequently and enthusiastically shoved a contract in my face.

“... Of course, you’re a rare, rational, business, cool DJ Unicorn who knows how things work,” he complimented emptily. “This contract is different from theirs. You’ll retain your own Free Will with the help of your friends---who’ve graciously embraced their position. I’m rather optimistic at this moment. You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this!” He shouted with an optimistic grin.

I snatch the quill and papers with magenta magic and scan them. I muster up the patience to read the 10 minutes worth of words. Something wasn't right, but I can't point my hoof on it. “It… Checks out. It’s in jargon, but it’s… Rational, I guess... Are you awake?”

He was walking around in circles in distress, his head drooping down.

"Hello!"

Startled, his head bounced back up and focused on me. He trotted toward me. “Are you ready to sign the contract? Don’t forget that not only would you benefit both of us greatly, not just learn the truth of life, but that all rational economic transactions are mutually beneficial for both parties!”

I’m scratching my head at that statement and well... He’s right, it is rational. I smile at the future. Forget all that business crap, I’m gonna get much richer, I can have anything. And by anything, I mean ANYthing! Maybe I’ll actually get a decent fan base on the Podcast. Most of all, I’m gonna give my friends a great---

“Oh, have I mentioned I’ve cast a spell that makes ponies rational?” He blurted, bearing a smug look. “Don’t worry, I’ll let you keep the incantation on for the rest of your life.”

Hang on, what? “What are you talking about?”

“Most ponies remain stubborn denying my offers on the basis of “Because I’m a jerk” or "Psychopathic" or "This inequine" which is obviously, stupidly hypocritical because they’ve done the same thing to animals and don’t consider them equestrian. The next course of action I did accordingly. I’ve developed a spell that compels irrational ponies to turn rational. No, don’t thank me. Keep it. It’s yours. Your welcome. Sign the contract!”

“...? Sorry, can you say that again? I blanked out on “Most ponies”. Can I have money already?”

He puffed his cheeks and released his breath, levitating a quill and ink. “Just… Sign this already!”

I found myself writing the signature contract. For some reason, an annoying voice in the back of my head is telling me to not sign the paperwork. It’s telling me to… That makes no sense... Why would I do that?... Hmm, that does seem rational. I'll go try it.

“Hurry up! I have better things to do,” he growled.

“Hold on, is it rational that I undertake to do something first?”

“Alright, whatever “Undertake” means, if it’s rational, do it quickly!”

“Okay.”

I bash my face into the ground.

*Crack*

Blood was dripping on my hoof, running from my nostrils.

His jaws and blue, bug eyes sprung open in utter shock. “What the buck! W-why did you do that?”

Teeth clenched. “Yo, seriously?” I groaned. “You’ve brainwashed my friends and try to make me join your thrall!”

“No I didn’t, weren’t you listening? I gave you all the options that you wouldn't have otherwise. The least you can do is respect me!”

My horn flared in a magenta glow. “Respect? Respect?! RESPECT!!?? You BRAINWASHED me with a ‘rational’ spell because I don't fit in with your reality. You tricked the others too, didn't you? You probably did. Rgh! You VIOLATED us... And our integrity. How are we suppose to trust you then if... If you exploit us?" The hurt got me sobbing.

"That's a hyperbole! I was being rational, any reasonable changeling would do the same thing. I work very hard on this."

I take a long deep breath and let it gush out. "Even if when you jump over a hundred hurdles or a thousand hurdles, or ten thousand hurdles, and then you just happen to get the whole country? So what? You’ve never won what you wanted through wisdom or intelligence or nurturing others, only by sheer luck and brute force. You're not helping anyone by just working hard, it’s what you work hard for and how you do it that matters. And what do you work for? Some vague notion. And believe it or not, you’re following your inner demons just so you can feel successful and appreciated. And there's nothing rational about that."

He put on a surprise face. “What are you talking about? That's a lie! I don't exploit. I can't exploit. You won't share your love with us changelings... Can't you just let us harvest your love or something!" A tear trailed down his chitin cheeks. "What happened to the rational spell?”

“Uhh…” Why is it so hard to think? “Whatever. Bump my head cancel spell because rational… Not emotional…” Heart erratic. Hyperventilating. Can’t think.

“What are you---” He gasped, his big, blue eyes and tone showed an obviously fake concern. “Oh, no. The pain is messing with the spell! Mental magic is tricky to get right, yes?”

*Thump* On the ground. Chest heavy. Breathing exhausting.

“Looks like you can’t breathe right, that’s one of the aspects of spells: Breathing regulation. Like a metronome syncs a musician’s tempo. The lungs sync the heart, and the heart syncs with the brain. Irregular breathing throws it all off and stu---”

“Shut up and help me!”

“Alright, help I will. I have to enter your mind and remove the pain aspect, ergo fixing the problem and maintain the spell. Kills two birds without one stone, yes?” He smiled, widely.

On second thought: “Do… Not… Do… That.” There’s no use, he won’t listen. Gotta think of something fast.



















To be continued...

Author's Note:
Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment