• Published 12th Apr 2018
  • 3,415 Views, 37 Comments

Return to Sender - Chemtest

  • ...
19
 37
 3,415

Introduction

The Courier reaches into a pocket, taking out a cardboard box. He flips it open, and takes a cigarette from within. He then takes a platinum lighter from the same pocket, and lights the cigarette.

He looks forward, and sees the town growing ever closer. He finally takes a second to stop and rest. He breathes in the comfortable smoke, usually a much better flavor than the air back in the Wasteland. Yet as he stands here, in a place where plants grow all around, and animals live in harmony, he takes a breath of real air.

The freshness and purity in the air fills his lungs, almost glowing with energy. Not the radioactive glow of nuclear winter, but a bright glow of energy.

He closes his eyes, letting the wind blow through his dead hair. It seems to grow lighter, all the dust and ash within now blowing away with the wind. His face relaxes, now not having to fight against the wind. And his duster blows as well. No longer is it a shield to serve against the dust, but instead a way to capture the wind.

He opens his eyes once again, looking to the skies. Where all shines blue and unhindered, with not a single cloud nor building in the way. Only the pegasi block the sky, claiming it as their own domain, yet leaving enough for him to enjoy.

A pleasant feeling of coolness comes through the air. Cool, yet far from cold, and bordering on being warm. The type of weather you can’t get under the Vegas sun nor moon.

Others all around him stop and feel the same cool breeze. Bunnies, foxes, birds, and not a single one is trying to kill him nor each other.

Yet the view is stopped by smoke floating in front of his vision.

He puts the cigarette back into his mouth, and continues down the path to Ponyville.

———

He goes off the path, wading instead through the grass and plants. A river runs nearby, and he needs to fill up his canteen.

He takes out his canteen, empty of Wasteland water. He puts it in the river, and waits for it to be full. When it is, he raises it up, and takes a deep swig.

Purity and freshness. More fresh than anything he had ever drank in Vegas. More fresh than the whiskey, more fresh than the sarsaparilla, more fresh than purified water from the Ultra Luxe.

Yet all is not perfect. As he hears low growling coming from across the river.

He looks across, and sees what seems to be a manticore from legend.

It growls at the invader to it’s river. It paws at the ground, and spreads it’s wings.

He looks at the cat like creature, interested at the first sign of an unusual creature in this world, not counting the ponies.

He smiles, and takes a piece of gecko meat. He tosses it over to the cat.

The manticore looks at the odd meat, prodding at it and sniffing it. After a minute, it decides to trust the man, and eat the meat.

The Courier stands up, and wades through the water to the manticore. He reaches the creature, and pets it’s mane.

The manticore starts to stumble around, until it starts to vomit blood. The Courier smiles, even as the manticore falls over and chokes on it’s own blood.

He takes out a hunting knife, and kills the manticore mercifully.

He then sticks his arm through the manticore’s skin, until it reaches his Pip-Boy. Then, the entire creature is reduced down to nothing but bones. The stinger, poison, wings, and meat all taken in an instant.

He smiles, glad to be rid of irradiated meat, and happy to revive new meat. He fills his water once more, and wades off to Ponyville.

———

He looks ahead with his binoculars, seeing the town a mile or two away. He straps them to his side, and continues on the path.

Yet, as he does so, he sees some bushes on the side of the path russle. He sees a blip on his compass, yet it is yellow, so he approaches with caution.

He pushes the bush aside, and steps within. He turns on his Pip-Boy flashlight, and sees the creature.

It looks like an insect version of a pony, with green eyes, and it’s entire body having holes in it.

The changeling looks up at the Courier, not able to summon much strength. He is dying from multiple wounds over his body. Stabs, burns, bites, and much more.

He uses the last bit of his magic to write something down on a piece of paper, and he pushes it toward the Courier.

He picks up the note, and nods to the changeling after reading it.

He takes out a knife, and kills the changeling instantly. Granting it mercy from it’s pain.

It dies smiling, and the Courier plugs his Pip-Boy into it. He then loots the body, and it disappears.

He looks at the note again as he exits the bush, noticing letters appear in his vision.

Started: Changeling of Plans.

Find Time Turner.

Even more appears in his vision.

Green Hive: Neutral.

This Hive only just heard of you, and acknowledge that you have tried to help them out. They won’t show any hostility, that’s for sure, but don’t expect to be getting all buddy-buddy with them.

Brown Hive: Neutral.

You’re better than the ponies, that much is for sure. But you haven’t really done much for them. Their doors won’t be closed, but don’t expect them to be wide open either.

Blue Hive: Accepted.

They’ve heard of you helping the Green Hive, so they want to try and be nice. They’ll heal you, just don’t expect any visit to be free.

Red Hive: Liked.

They’ve heard of your exploits in Canterlot, and would be glad to welcome such a warrior into their home. Your gall by insulting the Princess, your cleverness by escaping, your strength by defeating her guards, and your composure during the entire ordeal has made you the talk of the Hive. They respect you as a warrior, make no mistake, and would be glad to welcome you into their ranks.

He nods at the messages, and looks at his compass. Even with the new quest, it still points towards Ponyville.

He continues on, intent on delivering the message.