• Published 21st Apr 2018
  • 3,033 Views, 72 Comments

MLP: Age of Chaos - religarro



What does it mean to be a deity? It's not all fun and games; with unlimited power comes all the weight of being a ruler, a leader, a god. Right? Unless you're a team of chaos gods, then it really IS all fun and games...

  • ...
5
 72
 3,033

Chapter 12 - Harmony Rangers

Author's Note:

Well, it's been a long time coming. And I do so appologize to those who were actually enjoying this story. I wasn't lying when I said I was working on it and that it wasn't dead. It's not, I have a lot of stuff physically written down in notebooks and binders. I'll be working on it more again.
Why was it so late? Stuff. Laziness. Life. All sorts of reasons. I didn't feel like writing, or when I did I was working on different projects, or parts of the story that doesn't happen yet till way down the line.

Anywho, I hope you all enjoy this. I'll begin working on the NEXT chapter right away, and hopefully it won't take a whole year to get it out (maybe a week or two, I had been working on it when I should have been working on THIS chapter, so parts of it are done)

Again, hope you like it, leave a comment, I love hearing from you all and will answer any questions you have.

Enjoy the return to chaos.

Twilight laid awake in her bed. It had been a couple days since the Living Books prank and like the worst kind of mind worm she just couldn’t get Celestia’s warning out of her head. Disarray being stronger than her? Team Chaos being stronger than Team Harmony? It just didn’t make sense. Chaos stronger than harmony, why it went against the natural order of things! They were the bad guys, she and her friends were the good guys; heroes even! No matter what they did her team always came out on top. No matter the prank or the ill deed, Team Harmony always put things right. That meant they were stronger, didn’t it? She was stronger. They won, time and time again, they won.

The purple princess shifted around, sighing. Her special talent was magic. She was the princess of friendship, a whole genre of magic. A magic that was voided due to Team Chaos also utilizing a kind of ‘friendship’ with their teamwork. She still had her doubts about the prospect of bad guys truly being friends. Every bad guy who became her friend had turned good first after all.

Her thoughts wandered back to Disarray. He was her best friend. Was. She messed that up...and now he’s nowhere to be found. Since their last spat he hadn't even been home, and not mane nor tail was seen of the other Masters of Mayhem. She knew they had to be up to something. She just knew. She always knew.

Just like how she knew Disarray was being angsty, childish, and was just acting out. She had been absolutely dead wrong about that.

What else was she wrong about? What else didn’t she know? What was the bigger picture?

Twilight banged her head against her pillow. It was all just so frustrating! She was stressed and worried, but didn’t know if it was for her brother, or fear from what he might do.

Finally, the alicorn drifted off to sleep, mentally exhausted. Tomorrow is another day, she’ll figure it out tomorrow.


It had been nearly two weeks since the Living Books prank. Deep in the Amarezon rainforest, Daring Doo and her assistant were excavating remnants of a seemingly long lost civilization.

“This find is amazing! Just think about all the knowledge that could be gleaned from these ruins!” proclaimed Daring Do excitedly.

“Yeah! These runes must be at least three thousand years old, maybe older! I'm thinking Pre-Discord era" responded her assistant “What do you suppose that thing is?”

The thing in question was a sarcophagus-like stone box. Across its surface were carved various magical circles along with inlaid jewels that gave off a dull light.

“I don’t know …help me open it!” exclaimed Daring, gesturing over as she tried to push the lid off.

“I don't think that’s the best of ideas…” replied her assistant, the mildly inappropriately named Gutsy Trailblazer.

“Oh come on, where's your sense of adventure?” goaded Daring, already trying to pry open the stone box with a crowbar. “Well, don't just stand there fidgeting Guts, help me!”

“I got a bad feeling about this….” Gutsy responded as she grabbed another crowbar.

The two shoved and pushed and pried the lid, but it didn’t seem to budge. Right as they were about to give up they heard a loud hiss, like air being released from a bottle. The lid was loose!

Daring Doo gave an excited squee and reached to push it off the rest of the way when the duo were blinded by a bright flash of purple light and thrown into the nearby wall as the lid exploded into many pieces. The last thing Gutsy heard before losing consciousness was a group of sinister laughter and an overly dramatic voice proclaiming boldly:

“Ah, after ten thousand years I’m free! It’s time to conquer Equis!”


It had been two and a half weeks since the Living Books prank, and Twilight was enjoying tea over at Sugarcube Corner with Rarity, Fluttershy, and a temporarily on break Pinkie Pie. There had still been no sightings of any members of Team Chaos and Disarray still hadn’t come home. Twilight was worried, really worried, and her friends had hoped that a nice outing with some calming tea would help ease her nerves. It was helping...a little…

“I just don’t know girls, something doesn’t feel right. They’re up to something big! That’s the only reason things would be so quiet. It has to be! That’s why Disarray hasn’t been home, he’s been helping with some really big prank they’re all going to pull!” said Twilight, gulping down her calming tea and pouring another cup.

“Now Twilight, darling, I know you’re worried about Disarray, I’m worried about my little Dissy-wissy too...huh, that doesn’t have the same ring to it as Spikey-Wikey…” replied Rarity, muttering that last part mainly to herself. “It’s not like him to be away for so long. I do miss the days when he would practically be in one of our shadows, but I’m sure he’s fine. He’s probably just still a little upset and went off to vent or something”

None of the girls wanted to tell Twilight what they were really thinking in the far back of their minds. The small thoughts that had been swimming around since that last fiasco. They remembered how angry Disarray had been at Twilight. They all thought it, though none would speak of it for fear of Twilight having a full blown panic attack. ‘What if...Disarray is gone for good?

“I...um...I think the quiet is nice…” added Fluttershy, calmly sipping her tea, as one should sip tea. “Maybe they’re just giving us all a break? Because a break from all the chaos would be nice…”

“I think they’re planning us a super huge awesome surprise party!” Pinkie Pie practically screamed

“Of course you would darling” chuckled Rarity. “Though, we are talking about Team Chaos, so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities. They may do it just to trip us up”

“EXACTLY!” screamed Pinkie Pie, jumping up in her seat.

Twilight was about to add her own thoughts of the probability of Team Chaos throwing a surprise party for Team Harmony when the door to Sugarcube Corner burst open, a battered and slightly frantic mare looking around before locking eyes on the booth in the back, running over the purple princess and her friends.

“I’ve found you! I finally found you! Please, I need your help!” screamed the battered up mare.

“What's wrong?? You look like you’ve been through a battle, do you need medical attention!?” asked Twilight, standing up. This was it, she knew it.

“Um...who are you?...if you don’t mind me asking” added Fluttershy.

“My name is Gutsy Trailblazer and I’m the assistant to Daring Do! There’s no time! We need to go now, the monsters are coming!”

“MONSTERS?!” Twilight, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie screamed. Fluttershy just sort of squeaked.

Before Gutsy could respond, the four members of Team Harmony were bathed in a white light and were gone.

“Buh...w-wha …where? But the...the monsters….” Gutsy muttered, looking around frantically before passing out right there in Sugarcube Corner.

After the flash of light faded Twilight and her group, which now included Applejack and Rainbow Dash, found themselves in the throne room of the Canterlot palace. At least, they think it was the throne room. The overall layout was similar but the room itself was very different. The marble pillars that normally lined the walls were replaced with white crystal that glowed with a soft yellow light. The pillars went up and up, to a seemingly enchanted ceiling that showed delightfully cloudy sunrise. Around the room, along the walls, around the pillars, were various consoles and terminals, screens, and buttons that lit up in seemingly random patterns.

It was all so surreal, like something out of a comic book. However, the biggest shock came to them when they all turned their eyes to where the throne was supposed to be. Instead of the tall golden throne of their solar princess there was a pillar of polished glass, and floating in the cylinder was the giant smiling head of

“CELESTIA!” the girls cried out.

“Yes, yes it is I” responded the princess

“What happened to you?!” Twilight practically screamed.

“I can’t really say. I woke up like this almost two and a half weeks ago. I had my assistant Raven cancel all my appointments, and we haven’t been able to conduct day court for obvious reasons. Really, it’s all been rather relaxing, a much needed R&R as it were. The only people who know about this are Raven, Luna of course, a trusted platoon of guards, and now you”

“How can you be so calm?” questioned Twilight, the others still staring in shock, except for Pinkie who was busy pushing buttons on a console and reading the images that were popping up on a nearby screen.

“Well, I’m not in any pain and am really quite comfortable. I originally figured this was just another one of Team Chaos’ games” replied the solar diarch, her face suddenly becoming very serious. “On that note, I have teleported you all here for a super serious reason. There is a new threat to Equestria. Nay, the whole world! It’s super super serious!”

This got all their attention, Rarity speaking up first “Yes, we had a little run in with Gutsy, you know Daring Doo’s assistant? Anywho she-”

“You got to meet Gutsy Trailblazer?!” Rainbow Dash blurted out before stopping herself and turning away with a small blush “I mean, that’s cool, what did she want?”

“As I was about to say before I was so rudely interrupted” Rarity continued with a small ‘hmph’ “The poor dear came in a complete disheveled mess. Was saying something about monsters”

It was at this point Celestia chimed in “Yes. Maelstrom and the Masters of Mayhem have unleashed ancient chaos onto Equestria. You must go and defeat them...as Power Rangers!”

A silence filled the room.

“Power what now?” asked Applejack, raising a brow.

“Power Rangers.” restated Celestia. “An elite team of champions formed to battle the forces of darkness and evil. It’s all very serious! Each of you is an element of harmony, but you have yet to truly tap into the full extent of your powers. It is time to change that!” she proclaimed as a light shot from her horn towards the girls, an ornate medallion appearing around each of their necks”

“These will let us tap into our powers?” questioned Twilight, running a finger gently over the cold metal. This was it, this was the boost she needed, that they all needed.

“Not exactly” responded Celestia “Those medallions are manifestations, created by your power of Harmony. They act as a focus that will allow you to morph into Power Rangers”

“M-morph?” asked Fluttershy.

“You know, Metamorphosis, it means transform” answered Twilight, still staring at the medallion. “My question is how does it work?”

“Yea, just how much about our powers don’t we know about? I need to know just how awesome I am” piped up Rainbow Dash, earning an eye roll from everyone in the room.

Before Celestia could answer any more questions, a guard burst into the room.

“Your highness! We’ve received reports of monsters attacking Ponyville!”

Celestia nodded as best she could without a neck or body and turned to Team Harmony. “Things just got extra super serious! No time for further explanation! Just let go, and go with the flow. The power will know what to do, just trust in it and each other” she said, a white light surrounding the team. “I’m teleporting you back to Ponyville. May the power protect you.”

In a flash of warm white light, they were gone. From behind Celestia’s cylinder a figure moved from where they had been watching in the shadows.

“Did you really have to be so dramatic Tia?” Luna said, still giggling “The look on their faces…”

Celestia couldn’t help it, and started laughing herself. “Maybe I didn’t, but at the same time when else would I have had the opportunity to copy Zordon’s schtick. Oh, I can’t wait to tell him at the next office meeting, it’ll be a laugh. In all...well...seriousness; this will be an important lesson for them, giving them better insight into their powers and abilities and could help turn the tide against chaos and that Maelstrom. I’m telling you Lulu, I don't trust them”

“And that has nothing to do with eating sweets…” Luna responded with a smirk and an eye roll.

“Worse! In this form I’m not able to eat ANYTHING!” Celestia whined. “Granted I don’t get hungry in this form either but it’s the principle of the matter! I don’t know how Zordon did this for thousands of years!”

Luna just giggled at her sister’s expense.


Ponyville was on fire. Now, this wasn’t the first time ponyville had been on fire. Not even the first time that month. Still, it was the first time the fire was caused by a large group of black and purple pony-like beings who looked like they were made out of clay, seemingly had only basic motor functions, and muttered ‘coi’ over and over again under their breath.

Twilight and her team arrived just in time to see Carrot Top’s roof cave into her home, the whole thing collapsing, as a group of these strange putty-like ponies chased the screaming orange maned mare down the street.

“What are those things?!” yelled Rarity.

“Don’t know, but they’re bout ta enter a world o`hurt'' replied Applejack through gritted teeth. Without any hesitation she charged right up and kicked the nearest one...which promptly exploded into purple smoke.

“That was….surprisingly easy…” Twilight observed, expecting these...whatever they were...to put up more resistance. The thing hadn’t even tried to defend itself!

“Yea…” muttered Applejack as she bucked another to the same effect. The ease in which she was dispatching these things had almost taken the wind out of her sails.

“It’s just us being awesome!” cheered Rainbow Dash as she swooped it, double punching two at the same time, both exploding into purple smoke. “You heard the Princess! We’re power-whatevers! We’re just too awesome for these stupid...things.”

“Power Rangers.” corrected Twilight “and maybe you’re right...Princess Celestria did say we’d be unlocking new power levels. Either way, we need to stop these things from destroying the town!”

With that, Team Harmony made quick work of the...things. Even Fluttershy managed to hit one...softly. The thing grabbed it’s chest as if it were having a heart attack, keeled over, and blew up in a cloud of purple smoke.

“Yes! Our new powers rock!” cheered Rainbow Dash when the last of the things had blown up.

“I must say, I do feel rather invigorated” added Rarity, with Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy nodding enthusiastically.

“I don't know...somethin’ still don’t feel right…” muttered Applejack, looking around.

Twilight was too busy looking at her medallion to pay attention to what the others were saying. If this thing really was powering them up, then her theory on their powers would be thrown right out the window. However, the princess hadn’t said it would power them up did she? She had said it would work as a focus, meaning the power had been in them the whole time. Unless that was wrong too?

Twilight groaned, she had so many questions!

She was about to voice her ideas to her friends when the building behind her blew up. “Quills & Sofas! NOOOOOOOOOO!” Twilight screams.

Out of the fire and rubble of what used to be a shop stepped out what the girls could only describe as a monster. It was vaguely pony-shaped and scarecrow-like, but with mannequin parts sticking out randomly. Parts of it seemed crudely sown together from different (and very contradictory according to Rarity) pieces of fabric. It’s clashing colors were so gaudy that it was mildly painful to look at. Without any time to collect themselves the monster shot a beam from a long sewing needle it was brandishing like a wand. The beam hit Team Harmony before they could brace themselves, the grass around them exploding and knocking them back.

“Is everypony ok?” asked Twilight as she asked as she helped Applejack onto her hooves. Whatever that thing had hit them with, they didn’t seem all that worse for wear. Maybe they WERE stronger.

Before Twilight could think more on this, she heard Rarity scream. It was a horrified scream, a scream of pure terror.

“Rarity!” she and the other yelled, whipping around to see their friend laying on the ground, rocking back and forth, clutching her head and whimpering. Her normally very stylish clothes had been replaced with the ugliest outfit any of them had ever seen. Not one bit of it matched, and it was mildly dizzying to look at.

“So….tacky...so...ugly…” Rarity continued to whimper, over and over, dry heaving as she seemed to be resisting the urge to throw up.

The girls looked down at their own and each other’s outfits as well...and then quickly looked away. Their outfits were just as horrible.

The monster laughed, pointing one of its arms at Team Harmony “I will turn ALL the world’s clothes tacky! Oh, what a fun game!”

“You FIEND!!” screamed Rarity, charging at the monster who merely back-handed her to the ground.

“Chaoids!” scream the monster, pointing out its needle-wand at the ground in front of them, more of those black and purple grunts appearing in a poof of smoke “Attack!”

Quickly as they could, Team Harmony leapt to their feet, preparing to fight the coming horde. Before the two sides could clash however, an explosion of black and purple smoke appeared before them. Both Team Harmony and the Chaoids were forced to retreat as the smoke began to clear and four individuals walked out.

“You!” hissed Applejack.

“Me~” replied Bad Seed.

“Disarray!” Twilight and Rarity cried to the caped being standing in the group of arrivals, his back to them with Shadow Blitz and Hymnphonic standing on either side of him..

“Greetings Twilight, Rarity” responded Disarray, glancing over his shoulder at them before turning his attention to the small army of Chaoids in front of him. His eyes scanned the mass of strange beings, before settling on the monster. “Schlockybot, go take a walk. We’ll handle this”

The big tacky monstrosity nodded one of it’s heads and lumbered away, off to cause mischief in the name of Mayhem elsewhere.

“Now, as for you lot. It’s time to get your heads in the game ” Disarray said, finally turning and fully addressing Team Harmony, silently evaluating them before raising a clawed hand. “Chaoids….ATTACK!!”

Before Team Harmony had time to react, the army of grunts charged forward. They clumsily bumped into each other and knocked over anything that was in their way as they made their way to Team Harmony.

“Let’s kick their sorry flanks!” yelled Rainbow Dash, rushing forward, diving right into a mass of the creatures and obliterating them with a fury of punches and kicks.

“Yeehah!” cheered Applejack, also charging into the fray.

While Dash and Applejack took care of the larger clusters on the ground, Twilight had taken to the air, sniping any who strayed too far with a quick magic blast.

“Now wait just a moment-” Rarity began to complain before she was overwhelmed by chaoids “Ow! Ew! Hey, where do you think you’re grabbing!”

“Oh no, Rarity!” Twilight gasped, using her magic to blast away the chaoids surrounding her friend “Are you ok?!” she called down to the white mare.

“They mussed up my hair!” cried Rarity, on her hooves in an instant, fury burning in her eyes “NO ONE TOUCHES A LADY’S HAIR!” she screamed; rushing forward to join Applejack and Rainbow Dash in the fight before getting overrun again by a cluster of chaoids.

About a quarter of a block away, Pinkie Pie was trying to convince Fluttershy to join in the fight with the others, with Fluttershy arguing that she wasn’t a fighter or a soldier and that the chaoids were too scary.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash kicked and punched their way through seemingly endless waves of chaoids, unaware that Disarray himself had his eyes on them. With a deep breath, the dark dragon of chaos opened his mouth and fired a fiery beam of dragon-fire magic aimed in the general direction of the two mares. The beam struck the ground right in front of them and hit them squarely in their chests with a flurry of sparks. The impact to their chests caused them to fly forward as the ground behind them exploded in a giant fireball that neither burned or scorched anything around it.

It didn’t make much sense, but wow did it look dramatic.

“No!” screamed Twilight, swooping low and landing in front of her two fallen teammates and friends. Spreading her wings out to shield them, she turned and glared at Disarray “I won’t let you hurt them!”

“Noble of you Twi” sneered Disarray immoderately. “But your head’s still not in the game, how do you plan on stopping me?”

“With this!” proclaimed Twilight triumphantly, holding out the medallion. “Celestia said it would help unlock new and greater power! Power that is great enough to stop you!”

“And yet here you are, unable to unlock said power. You have no idea how to use that medallion do you?” Disarray responded with a deadpan expression, slightly shaking his head in disappointment. For a moment, his shoulders seemed to sag, and he looked as if all the bravado he showed before had just slipped out of his reach. It was like an actor who realized no one was in the audience; or more actually an actor who realized his co-actor hadn’t remembered their lines. “All that book smarts really doesn’t account for squat when it comes to creativity, ingenuity, and imagination huh?” he muttered, before giving a huff and puffing out his chest “Or could it be that you just aren’t used to dealing with an actually competent villain?” he mocked, with an over dramatic laugh. “Well, what are you waiting for? Come on, hit me!”

Twilight grit her teeth and got herself in what she thought was a good combat stance. After all, she had read various books on self defense and martial arts, it isn’t so hard once you understand the basics. Giving Disarray a determined look she took a step forward, ready to charge him. In a blink the dark drake used his draconic speed to cover the distance, punching Twilight square in the gut and sending her flying. The purple princess flailed dramatically as she sailed through the sky, landing next to her felled friends.

The three shakily got to their hooves as the other three finally joined them. Pinkie Pie had to practically drag Fluttershy. With a smirk Disarray shot another fury black that again landed in front of the group of ponies causing them to fly forwards as the ground behind them exploded in a purple fireball. When they looked up they found themselves in a rock quarry.

“Since when did Ponyville have a rock quarry?!” asked Rainbow Dash, looking around in confusion as she tried to get to her hooves with a groan.

“Bigger Question is how did we even get here!” Twilight added, giving a frustrating grunt as she tried to get to her hooves as well, but found she was too weak and tired and collapsed back into the gravel.. “We were in the middle of town and only fell forward a few hooves. For that matter, how do you get hit in the chest and fall FORWARD?!”

Pinkie Pie was just grumbling something about rock farming and how most of the rocks in the quarry would be the equivalent of weeds.

“Oh Come on Twilight get up, it’s not that hard. You should have more fight in you. Pull it together, get your head in the game, and start playing around” Disarray said, looking down at Twilight, who could only look up and see the shadow of his face.

“You mean stop playing around” corrected Twilight instinctively.

“I said what I meant” replied Disarray “are you even having fun yet?”

Before Twilight could answer Disarray turned away with an exaggerated swoosh of his cape “Come all, we’re leaving, this WEAKLINGS aren’t worth our time!” he declared flamboyantly. “We’ll return to finish them off later”

With a snap of his fingers Disarray, along with the rest of Team Chaos, the chaoids, and monster who had happened to be standing beside Team Chaos, were gone in a fiery flash of purple flames; leaving behind a burned and ruined town and a beaten and bruised Team Harmony.

The team limped back to ponyville, finding out they had been blasted to the outskirts of town and it’d only take a few minutes to get back. Silver linings and all that.

Back in town they took refuge in the surprisingly untouched Sugarcube corner. At least, the building had been untouched.

“I can fix this. I mean, maybe I can salvage some of...this…” muttered Pinkie to herself as she ran her head though her noticeably straighter mane. It seemed that even though the building wasn’t destroyed, the Chaoids had helped themselves to all the baked treats inside, and had gone wild making a mess of all the ingredients in the kitchen and basement. Such a sight has had an instantly negative effect on the party pony, who now was rummaging about to see what was left, using an empty flour sack to save whatever she could.

“It’ll be ok Pinkie…” said Fluttershy softly, stroking the pink mare’s back. Said mare had seemingly given up, plopping into a nearby seat and moped “We’ll stop those meaning and fix all this”

“You think so?” asked Pinkie Pie.

The shy pegasus just gave a small smile and a nod.

“Ya gotta admit, Team Chaos took things a tad far this time” said Applejack, piping up for the first time since they got back from their fight with their sworn enemies. She had been fuming that she had lost so easily, but now she just looked slightly perplexed.

“I know what you mean Applejack, it really doesn’t seem their style to destroy things like this, and on this scale. At least, not without some sort of simple way to fix it” added Rarity.

“I don’t know...they seemed really serious. You really think this is all some sort of prank? Because I know pranks, and this one is a really big prank to pull.” asked Rainbow Dash.

“I have to…” replied Rarity, looking down at her clothes and dry heaving again. “It’s my belief that this is neither serious nor permanent that is keeping me sane. That and I truly don’t think even that Wicked Maelstrom could be so cruel”

“Too cruel…” mutter Pinkie Pie, cleaning up some half eaten chocolate donuts.

“There there….” comforted Fluttershy “It’ll be ok”

Pinkie Pie just shook her head slowly “No, they’re being too cruel. Like, over the top cruel. No, not cruel, they’re being-”

“Mean.” finished Twilight. They’re being overdramatically mean, villainous even. Then there's their nonchalant attitude about all of this. It’s as if it doesn’t matter to them, like it’s all just a game”

From outside they heard a distant explosion followed by the sounds of screaming and running. It seemed Disarray and Team Chaos were back.

“Come on girls, it’s time to move! We’ll put an end to this” said Twilight as she rushed for the door. The others nodded and followed, with Pinkie Pie rushing forward to run next to Twilight.

“I think this is actually a big game,” she said to her friend. “They wouldn’t do all this damage and hurt ponies if there wasn’t an easy way to ‘win’ or ‘lose’ or something. Even when they’re being super duper wacky, it’s still always just a game”

“Come to think of it, I don’t think anypony is actually hurt” added Rainbow Dash from behind them. “Like, there’s a LOT of property damage and stuff got smashed up, but I don’t think anypony was actually hurt during any of it. At least from what I’ve noticed it isn’t anymore more than a bruise or scrape”

“Yea, it don’t seem like they’re being too serious, now that I have some time to cool my head and think on it. They seemed more disappointed and bored than anything” Applejack added, jogging next to Rainbow Dash.

They arrived at the outskirts of town; at the same abandoned rock quarry from before. They stood close, looking around for any sign of Team Chaos. Said team was standing across the quarry from them, striking dramatic villous poses.

“Ah, it’s the power rangers, come to face your doom” said Disarray loudly, giving a flap of his cape and a slightly hopeful look towards Team Harmony. That look deflating to disappointment yet again when they didn’t react like he’d hoped they would.

“Ya, disappointment” sighed Pinkie Pie, standing next to Twilight. “But I’d be really really disappointed too if I’d went through all the trouble of setting up a new game for everyone to play and no one was playing along”

“Game…..game….” Twilight muttered. Team Chaos had been saying that all day. They weren’t taking this at all seriously! This isn’t a game...unless it was. Maybe...no. It couldn’t be that simple…

Twilight thought about all of it; the identical faceless grunts, the over the top mannerisms and crazy convoluted plans, team chaos’ typical wacky antics, even the advice Celestia herself gave her.

Her eyes widened in realization, this WAS just a game. This was all for fun. They get to play over exaggerated, over the top villains, meaning Team Harmony gets to play...gets to play heroes…

The purple princess looked down at the crystal Harmony Medallion, Celestia’s voice echoed in her head. Her incorporeal bodiless teacher had told her to “Just let go, and go with the flow. The power will know what to do”. Twilight looked up and gave Disarray a knowing smirk. The dragon smiled back. She was finally starting to realize!

“Ok girls! Follow my lead!” she said, striking a heroic pose. Pinkie grinned, striking a silly if not also heroic pose next to Twilight. Applejack and Rainbow Dash smirked and struck their own poses. Fluttershy and Rarity just looked confused, but still got into a pose of their own.

“Finally starting to get your head in the game?” asked Disarray as the mares lined up next to each other. “Took you long enough”

Taking her medallion in hand Twilight grinned. “Alright, let’s go! It’s time to turn it on!” she called out.

“Um, turn what on darling?” asked Rarity.

Twilight didn’t respond, she just pointed a finger at Team Chaos who had big grins plastered over their faces. “And let me set the record straight, we’re coming in here to right the wrong.” She said, clutching her medallion. “Fight evil, Ranger Power standing strong. We got it goin on! Harmin Mysto!”

With those two magic words, all six medallions started glowing. Pinkie clutched hers and smiled, picking up where Twilight left off.

“We won’t back down, we're going to set the pace! We’re always on the case, to blast your butts to outer space! Bad colts, bad mares, we see your every move! Power Rangers never lose! Always going to show it through!” She sang.

“Stop! Freeze! Rangers here! There’s no need to fret!” called out Rainbow Dash “We’re the ones that will make a way here to make a change”

“When there’s trouble we don’t quit! Come together to save the day!” chimed in Applejack.

“LET’S GO!” They all cheered together. Twilight glared at Team Chaos as she muttered “It’s morphin time…”

Together, all six hold out their medallions, calling out “Harmonic Source, Friendship Force! Harmin! Mystos! Ranger!” before being engulfed in light. Twilight felt a power swell in her. It was both familiar and something she could only describe as otherworldly.

Starting in her core, she felt the familiar swelling of her element as if she was about to do a normal rainbow wave of harmony, but then it all changed. It seems to ignite her blood, flow through her veins, she felt tingles of power traveling through her nervous system into her brain. Energy shifted and moved across her skin, hard light forming fabric, armor. It swirled around her head, like a helmet, draped behind her along her wings. In that moment she felt more powerful than she had ever felt before.

The light shattered like glass, dissolving into silver dust that swirled around them as they each struck a new pose. Their clothes had transformed into skin-tight armor matching their colors complete with belts of gold and white silk, and a helmet made of crystal with a big heart shaped visor in the center. Their element’s marks were smack in the middle of their chests with the trim bright and golden. Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack had capes with white inlay while Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Twilight had golden armor along their wings. You could feel the magic and power coming off of them.

“Magically Mighty! Purple Harmony Ranger!”

“Bubbling Laughter! Pink Harmony Ranger!”

“Unwavering Loyalty! Blue Harmony Ranger!”

“Honest Integrity! Orange Harmony Ranger!”

“Gentle Kindness! Yellow Harmony Ranger!”

“Elegantly Generous! White Harmony Ranger!”

With that called out, they struck a group pose, proudly proclaiming “Upholding Harmony through the unlimited magic of Friendship! Yujo Sentai Harmonger!” as the grass behind them exploded into rainbow smoke.

“This is so bucking cool!” screamed Rainbow Dash, taking to the air.

Fluttershy followed close behind “This is for being big meanie-heads!!” she called out, zipping past Dash, bolder than any of them had ever seen her.

“Wait for me!” called out Rainbow Dash. But before she could chase after the yellow pegasus, she was struck by a strong blast of wind which caused her to stumble off course and almost collide with a nearby bolder. Scowling, Rainbow glared at the shadow pegasus who was hovering above her laughing.

“Watch out, you almost wrecked there Rainbow CRASH!” Shadow Blitz cackled mockingly.

“Nopony, and I mean NOPONY, calls me Rainbow Crash and gets away with it!” screamed the cyan element of loyalty.

“Looks like I’ll be the first then. Unless you think you’re going to do something about it?”

“With these powers?!” proclaimed Dash heroically, “There’s no contest! Harmony Slicers!” she called out, glowing rainbow blades extended along her wings. Shadow responded by extending her own dark crystal wingblades.

With a cry, both raced towards each other, the sound of thunder rolling across the sky every time their blade met.

Twilight and Rarity held out their arms “Harmony Saber!” they both said in unison, a long glowing rainbow bladed rapier in each outstretched hand as they rushed Hymnphonic and Disarray. The two Masters of Mayhem brandishing their own swords of black metal, the blades crackling with purple lightning.

Shadow Blitz continued to meet Rainbow Dash blow for blow in the air, Wingblades crashing against Wingblades as they swooped and twisted through the sky; an aerial display for the history books.

Blades clashed as rival fought rival. Applejack and Fluttershy were bucking and punching the crud out of the Chaoids; one with glee and the other with never before seen determination, “Ha! One good buck and they’re down and out”

“Enough!” Disarray yelled suddenly, with a dramatic flip of his cape “You weaklings have proven you aren’t worth our time. We’ll let the Schlockybot take care of them. Come along you lot!” and with another flip of his cape, he disappeared in a burst of flames, the other Master’s of Mayhem following suit.

“Hey get back here you coward!” screamed Rainbow Dash, swooping around to see if she could spot Shadow Blitz.

“Oh dear, I had almost forgotten all about that...thing” muttered Rarity, pointing her sword at the amalgamation lumbering towards them.

Twilight just laughed. “HA! Don’t you see?! This is them giving up, we won! Now, let’s take these monsters out...WITH THE INCREDIBLE POWER OF HARMONY!” she finished with a yell, raising her sword in the air, the blade glowing. The others followed suit as they rushed the monster who was now taking a few cautious steps back.

“Ancient Mystic Power! Harmony Spell Seal!” they all screamed together, slicing in unison at the Schlockybot. Familiar rainbow energy arched from their blades in unison, colliding with the monster who screamed in overdramatic pain and exploded a stupendous multicolored fireball. Team Harmony didn’t see this however, as they had turned a hundred and eighty degrees on their heels and stuck a pose.

A strong wind blew past them as a rainbow wave washed over the land, repairing damages and healing all it touched. Up in Castle Canterlot, the princess of the sun was sitting on her throne again, relieved “it took them long enough” she sighed as a servant brought her a slice of cake “So hungry…” Celestia muttered before taking a large bite...and almost gagging. “It...It still tastes inferior!! Curse you Disarray!!!!”

Back in Ponyville, the six friends and members of Team Harmony sat around a table at Sugarcube Corner enjoying some juice and snacks, compliments of the house for saving the day yet again.

“Wowie! What an adventure!” proclaims Pinkie Pie before stuffing three whole muffins in her mouth.

“You said it partner” agreed Applejack, who calmly sipped her ice tea, a small smile on her face. “Ah don’t right remember the last time ah was able to just let loose like that. Felt nice.”

“Buck ya!” added Rainbow Dash, flexing her arms. “A real brawl! I just wish that wussy Shadow Blitz hadn’t run off like she did. I felt like I could beat her that time!” the cyan pegasus proclaimed bravado. However, her mind was reeling over something that she just couldn’t let go. Something Shadow Blitz had said during their fight. The shadow mare had called her Rainbow Crash. She could assume it was a coincidence due to her actually almost crashing, but the way her sworn rival had put such emphasis on it, almost as if she KNEW it would hurt her. But how could she? Only a handful of ponies even KNOW about the ‘rainbow crash’ incident. The thoughts kept swirling and swirling around Rainbow’s head. She gingerly gave her head a shake, taking a long swig of her milkshake. She could think about it more later, right now it was time to celebrate their victory!

Rarity scoffed at Dash’s use of crass language as she daintily nibbled on a cookie, just glad that order had been restored to the world of fashion.

Fluttershy was busy feeding Angel carrots, who was sitting on her lap and kept glancing around protectively.

Twilight just smiled at her friends. It has been an interesting adventure to be sure, but she was now confident that no matter what Team Chaos came up with, Team Harmony would be able to stop them. Those nagging thoughts in the back of her head that the whole thing was just an elaborate game and that Team Chaos wasn’t actually being serious and WANTED to lose? She’ll just ignore that, it gets easier to do every passing hour. Right now, she’ll focus on the positives. Team Harmony got some new powers. She’s even come up with a name for them; Harmony Power Mode. Yes, everything was looking up. Everything was indeed great. One might say that everything was awesome.