• Published 6th Jul 2018
  • 684 Views, 37 Comments

Re-Election in Ponyville: Defending Her Turf - StormLuna



In the last election, Amethyst Star accomplished what was once thought impossible by becoming the first unicorn mayor. Things have changed since then and despite the good economy, her chances of being re-elected are not guaranteed.

  • ...
13
 37
 684

Meeting With the Princess

When they arrived in Canterlot, both Amethyst and Miss Mare headed towards the palace. When they arrived, neither would be thrilled to see that there was a long line, longer than last time. What surprised both of them though was that Applejack was in front of them. She noticed them get in line behind her and asked, "Howdy y'all, I take it you are here to file?"

Amethyst replied, "Yes, both of us are." She then gave her a curious look and asked, "What are you doing here? Are you and your friends having problems?"

Applejack said, "Actually, I'm here to file my papers as well. I don't like what you've done with Ponyville and I want to restore it to what it used to be."

Both Amethyst and her soon to be opponent gave one another curious looks before Miss Mare asked, "Wait a minute, are you even going to be allowed to run?"

Amethyst added, "You know you have to live within city limits to run don't you?"

Applejack gave her an intense look and replied, "Yes I know and because of how much the town has grown, Sweet Apple Acres is probably in the city limits now."

Amethyst said, "Well Princess Celestia will know where the exact boundary is so it will be up to her."

Before she could finish her sentence a commotion erupted as a zeppelin had docked in the city and from it emerged Iron Will. Everypony gave him and odd look and when he saw Amethyst there he announced, "My name is Iron Will and Iron Will is here to announce his candidacy for mayor of Ponyville."

This brought about a laugh from all three of them, but Applejack's would be the loudest, "Seriously, YOU'RE going to run for mayor?"

While Applejack found it humorous, Amethyst found it irritating. She gave him a glare and asked, "So I make Ponyville more business friendly and now you're going to bite the hoof that made it possible for you to set up shop?"

Iron Will replied, "There is no law that states that Iron Will can't run for mayor so no. Iron Will is simply exercising his right to run."


After two hours of waiting and listening to Iron Will boasting to anypony who would listen about his candidacy they finally got to the front of the line. When Celestia saw Applejack standing before her she asked, "Applejack is everything ok?" She then looked at the line and continued, "I don't know what it would be but it is filing day so if it isn't anything serious, could you let me know later?"

Applejack replied, "About filing, I have come to file my papers to run for Ponyville."

Celestia gasped, "Seriously?" She then gave her a curious look and continued, "But don't you live outside of the city limits?"

Applejack pointed back towards Amethyst and said, "Well I did until her growth friendly policies caused the town to grow so much that the city limit had to be expanded."

Celestia was unsure about where the exact boundary was and she knew that she had to find out. She let everypony know that she would be back in a few minutes. Nopony was very happy but when she arrived with a recent map of Ponyville, she showed Applejack the map and unfortunately for her, the current city limit had not reached out that far.

She held the map up, pointed to Sweet Apple Acres and said, "I'm sorry Applejack but you can not run because you do not live within the city limits."

This did not sit well with Applejack but she knew that the map Celestia had showed her was most likely accurate. She sighed in frustration, "Very well your Majesty." As she turned to leave the throne room, she looked at Miss Mare and continued, "Please try and return Ponyville to what it was for all us traditionalists, alright?"

Miss Mare nodded before approaching the princess. When Celestia saw her she handed her the paperwork and said, "You know the drill."

She replied, "Yep, I do."

Miss Mare began to fill out the paperwork and once she had completed it, she handed it to Celestia. Celestia said, "Alright, you're on the ballot and you know the drill afterwards."

Miss Mare sighed, "I know, meddlesome media outlets like ENC stalking me." Before Celestia could even reply Amethyst approached her. She gave her a smile and asked, "Amethyst Star, how is the best mayor in Ponyville history doing today?"

Amethyst replied, "I'm doing quite well and the town is just a few months away from me achieving my ultimate promise, wiping out our debt entirely."

Celestia was impressed by this as she didn't expect that to happen until much later. She said, "Wow, once you get that taken care of, the town will absolutely love you!" She then handed Amethyst her papers and said, "Just like your opponent, you know the drill."

Amethyst filled out the paperwork and handed it back to Celestia. She continued, "Alright, you're on the ballot and you know that if there are two more candidates, you'll have a primary."

Amethyst replied, "Yes, I know." She then pointed her hoof behind her and whispered, "Just wait, you're going to be shocked by who's next."

Celestia looked back and simply winked, "Oh he's nothing to worry about. He might provide some comic relief but that is it."

Amethyst gave her a smile in return before Iron Will approached Celestia, "My name is Iron Will and Iron Will is here to file his papers to run for mayor of Ponyville."

It was all Celestia could do to not break down laughing. She had a grin on her face as she handed him the papers, "Alright, fill this paperwork out and what party you will be running under and you'll be all set."

Iron Will took the paperwork and began to fill it out. Unlike how some candidates are when their political party is not listed, Iron Will knew what to do. He thought for a minute and knew that he would have to name it something that would appeal to ponies. He eventually put down "Ponyville First Party" and handed the form back to the princess. She looked over the paperwork and saw nothing suspicious and said, "Alright, you're on the ballot but I do want to warn you, I don't know how Ponyville will react to a Minotaur running for mayor."

Iron Will replied, "Iron Will is certain that the ponies will find Iron Will's plans beneficial to everypony!"

Celestia said, "Very well, good luck."

Iron Will headed for the exit and while there were still plenty of other candidates filing for other communities, she couldn't help but wonder how big of a margin of victory Amethyst would have this time. While she would never admit it, she secretly hoped that she would win re-election in a landslide since she did make good on her promises to get their debt paid off and provided the community with the economic growth she felt was necessary.