• Published 6th Jul 2018
  • 684 Views, 37 Comments

Re-Election in Ponyville: Defending Her Turf - StormLuna



In the last election, Amethyst Star accomplished what was once thought impossible by becoming the first unicorn mayor. Things have changed since then and despite the good economy, her chances of being re-elected are not guaranteed.

  • ...
13
 37
 684

Setting Things Right

After being told by Princess Celestia that she could not run, Applejack was not one bit pleased. One part of her did think that the map Celestia had was accurate but another part of her had a feeling that the map may be old, especially since she received a letter from the town the previous year regarding Sweet Apple Acres and it being tax exempt since it was an agricultural property.

When she returned to Ponyville she thought about how she would be able to prove that the farm was in the city limits and then it hit her, the town hall. One thing she did know though was that Sea Swirl was the town clerk and a good friend of Amethyst's so she was unsure if she would even let her see the current city limits, much less make a copy of it. She figured that it was worth a shot to try and get a copy. She vowed that if she did get one, she would take it up to Princess Celestia and hopefully get on the ballot.

When she arrived she was greeted warmly, "Oh hi Applejack, what can I do for you today?"

Applejack asked in return, "I'm wondering if I could get a copy of the current city limits?"

Sea Swirl gave her a smile, "Of course!"

Sea Swirl headed back to make a copy of the information she requested and it would not be long until she returned. She handed her the copy and Applejack would be pleased with what she saw. Not only did Sweet Apple Acres reside within the city limits but the map was much more recent than the one Celestia had. She gave Sea Swirl a smile and said, "Thanks, I appreciate it."

Before Sea Swirl could even reply, Applejack rushed back towards the train station. While she knew that Miss Mare would likely be a good alternative to Amethyst being re-elected, she felt as though that if things were to truly return to how they used to be, that she would have to run and win to guarantee things be set straight.

It was already 1500 when Applejack got on the train to Canterlot and knew that if she did not file by 1700, that it would be too late. The train ride was seeming to take forever when suddenly half-way between the two communities it ground to a halt. While this did not upset too many ponies, it angered Applejack. She yelled, "What the hay is going on? Why did the train stop?"

Her answer would soon be answered when the conductor went into each car and notified the passengers that the engine had overheated and the delay would likely be thirty minutes. This did not sit well with Applejack, "What, thirty minutes?" She became more aggravated as she continued, "I have to get up to the palace before 1700! Can't you speed things up a bit."

The conductor approached her and tried to remain calm, "Look, we have to wait until the engine cools down. If we try pushing it right now, it could blow up and you won't be going to Canterlot at all."

Applejack sighed in frustration knowing that the timing on the engine cooling down would affect whether she would be able to challenge Amethyst in the election. After over twenty minutes of waiting, the train began to move again which made most everypony happy, save Applejack. At first the train was moving more slowly than normal and this again caused Applejack to yell, "What's going on? Why the hay is the train moving so slow?"

The conductor had yet to leave her car and replied, "I'm sorry ma'am but when the engine overheats like this and then we get it going again, we have to go slowly."

Applejack yelled, "But I have to get to Canterlot......"

The conductor interrupted, "Ma'am, we'll get to Canterlot as soon as we can, alright?"

Applejack sighed in frustration knowing that he was right. When the train finally pulled into Canterlot, it was 1645 and Applejack knew that time was not on her side. The moment the doors opened, she raced off the train and was in a full gallop to the palace. She would be very displeased when she was greeted by a couple of guards.

"Halt, who goes there?"

"State your business."

Applejack was not one bit pleased that she was being delayed but knew that if she was to get to see Celestia, that she would have to remain calm. She replied, "I just need to see Celestia about filing to run for mayor of Ponyville."

One guard replied, "Very well."

The other had seen her up there on multiple locations and asked, "I take it you know your way to the throne room?"

Applejack replied, "Yes sir, I do."

The guards allowed her entrance and once again she was in a full blown gallop right until she got to the throne. Celestia saw her and asked, "Applejack, is everything ok?"

Applejack held up the current map of Ponyville and replied, "I know you said I couldn't run but I got a copy of the most recent map and handed it to the princess."

As Celestia took a good look at the map and noticed that it had been updated late last year, she realized what she was in the wrong in denying Applejack her chance. Just as she finished looking at the map, the clock tower hit five and Applejack sighed in frustration, she knew that it was too late. She was so frustrated that she turned around and began to leave until she heard a voice, "Applejack, wait!"

Applejack turned around and asked, "What your Majesty, I know it is too late."

Celestia replied, "Applejack, since I unfairly denied you at first and you went to all this trouble, I'll let you file." She motioned for her to come closer and whispered, "Even though the deadline has passed, I'll let you file but this has to be just between us. Nopony can know about this, not even your friends."

Applejack replied, "My lips are sealed."

Celestia then handed Applejack the proper paperwork and said, "Ok, just fill this stuff out and if the party you are running under is not listed, check other and write in the name of the party you plan on running under."

Applejack took the papers and began to fill them out. When she got to the part about which party she planned on running under, she checked other and wrote in traditionalist. She handed the papers back to Celestia and when she saw what party Applejack was running under, she had a feeling that if she won, that Ponyville would quickly fall back into the same mess it was in before Amethyst took over and fixed it.

She gave Applejack a smile and said, "Alright, you're on the ballot. Now that there are four candidates running down there, there will be a debate in March, a primary in April and then the top two from the primary will move on to the general election."

Applejack remembered very well about what happened four years ago and replied, "I know your Majesty."

Celestia continued, "And if you make it past the primary, news agencies will likely want to interview you and get your message out to not just Ponyville, but the whole country."

The very thoughts of national media outlets doing interviews with her made her cringe. She remembered Sunny Flames from last time and how she seemed to show favoritism towards Amethyst solely because she was a unicorn. She sighed, "I know you're majesty. I just hope they can remain objective because I remember that unicorn reporter last time that seemed to just love Amethyst."

Celestia replied, "Don't worry Applejack, while she may seem to have liked Amethyst more, she is objective."

Applejack sighed, "Very well. I look forward to the first debate and the first primary." She paused for a minute and added, "If I win, I'll make Ponyville proud."

Celestia simply nodded at the comment and watched her leave. While she had always liked Applejack, she knew that with her being a traditionalist that any policies of hers could harm the town's economy. She also knew that her facing off against a pony with a similar mindset may not just hurt her, but the traditionalist ponies in general.