• Published 6th Jul 2018
  • 684 Views, 37 Comments

Re-Election in Ponyville: Defending Her Turf - StormLuna



In the last election, Amethyst Star accomplished what was once thought impossible by becoming the first unicorn mayor. Things have changed since then and despite the good economy, her chances of being re-elected are not guaranteed.

  • ...
13
 37
 684

Morning Thoughts

It was a cool January morning when Amethyst Star woke up. For her, this day was one filled with fond memories as it was the three year anniversary of her taking office and with that being the case, she knew that the time to file for re-election had arrived. With that being the case, she jumped out of bed earlier than normal and headed downstairs where she was greeted by her best friend and roommate, Sea Swirl.

On most mornings, Amethyst showed little emotion when she arrived downstairs but this morning would be different. She headed into the kitchen with a smile. Sea Swirl asked, "Amethyst, what's up with the smile? I haven't seen you smile like that since you took office!"

Amethyst replied, "Well today is the day everypony has to go to Canterlot to file with Celestia that they are running for office and I am looking at it as the first step towards me being re-elected."

Sea Swirl suggested, "Amethyst, you know I've always supported you but don't you think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself? I think you should stay focused instead of acting like you're guaranteed victory."

Amethyst knew that her friend was right, "Very well Sea Swirl. I can see where you're coming from but still, I've lived up to all my promises and the economy is better than ever."

Sea Swirl replied, "True but the town has grown, we haven't had a real Hearth's Warming since before you took office, many of the pegasi had to relocate, half the population if not more are unicorns, farmers are dependent on unicorn mages and I know there are a fair number of ponies who are bit leery about the other species that have moved in."

Amethyst blew it off, "Everypony seems fine if you ask me. I'm sure everypony likes the nice weather for Hearth's Warming and the other species are contributing to the local economy so everything will be fine!"

Sea Swirl knew that trying to get Amethyst to realize that things may be more difficult than she thought would be impossible so she decided to drop it. She noticed Amethyst getting into the cupboard and grabbing a protein bar. She asked, "Is that it? Is all you're going to eat is a protein bar?"

Amethyst replied, "No, after I file my papers with the princess, I will grab a bite to eat up there."

Before Sea Swirl could say anything, Amethyst rushed towards the train station to catch the early train so that she could get her papers filed early and then relax for the rest of the day.


On the other end of town, a gray maned earth pony rose and for the first time since the last election day, she felt a sense of optimism. She knew that while Amethyst had lived up to every campaign promise she made, that things had happened that she could potentially capitalize on. She said to herself, "Alright, the time has come. The time has come to take this town back."

Miss Mare couldn't help but remember the events of the last election cycle and how she knew that Amethyst would transform the town. In her opinion, while the town had not become more rigid, she did find somethings troublesome, particularly ponies from other parts of the country relocating their businesses there, the departure of some of the pegasi and the unicorn mages but what bothered her most was Iron Will, his narcissism and his zeppelin cruise business that had relocated to Ponyville. She said to herself, "You know what, I'm going to file and when I win, I'll restore Ponyville to what it used to be, I'll restore our traditions!"

After eating a quick breakfast, she headed towards the train station where she would encounter the incumbent. She had done her best to avoid Amethyst since the last inauguration day but knew that she had to play it cool. She said, "Oh hi Amethyst. I take it you are heading up to file your papers?"

Amethyst asked in return, "Yes, I am. I take it you are going up to do the same?"

Miss Mare replied, "Yes. I plan on running and when I win, I'll clean up the mess you have made."

While Amethyst wanted to go off on her, she knew that she had to remain professional, especially since they were around her constituents. She commented, "Well good luck to you, may the best candidate win."

That was not the response the mayor had hoped to get from her. At that moment she knew that her opponent would most likely be well prepared and focused like she was last time. As they got on the train, she knew that this would not be easy and that she would not be able to have any emotional outbursts.