• Published 31st Mar 2018
  • 9,851 Views, 563 Comments

Those Left Behind - the7Saviors



In the blink of an eye, all life was wiped from the face of Equus by an abomination born of the stars. That is, all except for four immortal Princesses. Now they fight for the only thing they have left other than their grief... revenge.

  • ...
18
 563
 9,851

A Princess' Friends

I found it.

As I flew across Equestria, alone with nothing but my own grim thoughts to keep me company, I just so happened to spot something in the darkness far below. It could've just been any nondescript piece of debris, but something about it pulled at me, and I went down to take a look.

It was the only memento I had left of any of my friends.

It was the stetson I had dropped what feels like forever ago now.

It was her stetson.

I still don't know how it had survived the blast, but I wasn't about to question it, not now -- not when it was the only thing I had left of the life I once knew. I held the hat close to my chest, silent tears streaming down my face as I thought about the hardworking cowpony.

Applejack had been one of the most hospitable ponies I had ever met. Over time I began to admire the mare for her diligence and honest and open nature. Stubbornness aside, It was a refreshing change from some of the more flippant, disingenuous, and sometimes downright untrustworthy ponies in Canterlot.

She didn't deserve this.

None of us did.

With one last quiet sniff I placed the stetson atop my head and took off once more. I remembered I had dropped the hat somewhere near the ruins of Ponyville, and, against my better judgement, I paid the desolate town one last visit.

Using what little was left of the Golden Oaks Library as a waypoint, I landed and began trotting through the darkened streets of Ponyville. Unbidden, memories of the lively, friendly townsfolk came to me, dredged up from the recesses of my mind. Rather than push them back, I let the memories wash over me.

Carrot Top, the quiet and easygoing carrot farmer who was always ready to offer some friendly advice to those who needed it.

Vinyl Scratch, the rambunctious DJ who could make any pony dance their tail off with her crazy beats.

Octavia Melody, the elegant and refined musician who used her cello to captivate the heart and soul of anypony that heard her play.

Derpy Hooves, the klutzy but well meaning mailmare who always managed to brighten everypony's day with her infectiously positive attitude.

Time Turner, the eccentric and somewhat mysterious earth pony who was always tinkering with one gadget or another.

Lyra Heartstrings, Bon-Bon, the Cakes, Mayor Mare, and so many other ponies in this little village died so suddenly and needlessly. The memories continued to tear at me, but I refused to toss them aside.

The least I could do was keep them all with me in memory if nothing else.

Lost in my thoughts, I failed to notice I had reached the broken remains of Sugarcube Corner until I was actually in front of the building. I stopped and looked over the crumbling ruin as I thought about Pinkie Pie and how I had met her.

I had found the pink party pony insufferable when we had first met, and I wanted nothing to do with the party that she had thrown. If I had known Pinkie like I did now, I never would've acted the way I did.

She had only wanted to see me smile, that's all she truly wanted from anypony.

As happy-go-lucky and fun loving as she was, the mare was far more sensitive than she let on, and my rejection of her party probably hurt her more than I realized at the time, but she never outwardly showed it. Thinking back on it, I never did apologize for my thoughtlessness during that party, and now I'd never get the chance.

With a melancholy sigh, I turned away from the crumbling structure and continued wandering the town. The dry winds started to pick up, causing my mane to whip about my face. I tried to ignore the constant howling in my ears and the taste of ash in my mouth as I trotted along the path strewn with random debris.

I continued sifting through the memories of my friends and as I crossed a familiar -- if heavily twisted, charred, and splintered -- bridge, I looked towards the pitch black sky. Even through all the changes the town's destruction had wrought, I recognized this spot.

I trotted a little ways past the bridge and stopped before resting on my hind legs. Searching the dry cracked ground, I spotted a familiar dip in the earth -- a dip that, long ago had been filled with mud, forming a large mud puddle.

A large mud puddle that I had been knocked into by a certain cyan pegasus with a prismatic mane and tail.

Was it odd that I remembered something so mundane and insignificant as a simple mud puddle? Probably, and normally, I probably wouldn't have remembered it had this all not happened.

But being tackled into that mundane and insignificant mud puddle was how I had met Rainbow Dash, one of the most loyal and courageous ponies I knew. She may have been cocky and more than a bit of a braggart, but when push came to shove and a friend needed help, nothing would stop her from rising to the occasion.

Even as a filly she never let setbacks stop her for long no matter how major or minor. She had even gone so far as to lose a race to save her childhood friend from a terrible fall.

Still, everything had worked out for the better, and it was thanks to the Sonic Rainboom she had managed to pull off -- with an injured wing no less -- that the rest of my friends and I came together.

More than any other pony, I owed Rainbow Dash a debt of gratitude that could never be repaid.

We all did in one way or another.

I looked up from the dip in the earth and spotted the wreckage that used to be the Town Hall further ahead. There was no entering the building as it was now, so I moved on to another part of town as I reminisced about the last two of my friends.

Fluttershy and Rarity.

Kindness and Generosity personified.

Rarity was every bit the noble, graceful, and passionate mare she made herself out to be. She had her quirks -- she could be overly dramatic and there were times when her priorities were a bit skewed -- but she had a drive to succeed that matched even Rainbow Dash, and a selfless streak a thousand miles wide.

What Fluttershy lacked in bravado, she more than made up for in sheer compassion. Her talent with animals was unmatched as far as I knew, and had it not been for her intense fear of heights that resulted from her almost fatal fall, she probably never would've chosen to live among the ground bound ponies.

She might never have eventually discovered her true calling working with and taking care of any and every critter she came across.

What many didn't know about the shy pegasus -- what I hadn't known until I had seen it for myself at the Gala we all attended -- was that she had an inner fire. The kind of fire that allowed her to accomplish great things when she put her mind to it.

Come to think of it, the rest of the girls and I had just helped Fluttershy finally get over her fear of heights before all of this started.

As I made my way back to the giant broken stump that had been my home, I thought about my life in Ponyville and how it changed me from who I used to be. I wondered what would've happened had I not been there when Nightmare Moon returned, what that would've been like.

It wasn't helping my mood.

None of these thoughts were helping me in fact.

I had hoped that coming here and basking in the memories of my friends and this town would give me some sort of closure, but all I felt was misery and an intense longing to see them all again.

And now here I was, back at the place I had stayed for so long with my number one assistant at my side. My friends would always be precious to me, and I would give anything to have them back -- see them alive, happy, and healthy again.

More than anything though -- maybe even more than my other friends -- I wanted Spike back.

I wanted my number one assistant back, I wanted my oldest friend back, I wanted my surrogate little brother back, I wanted my son back. I wanted to see him laugh and smile and tell me when I was going overboard with my studies or completely losing it over nothing.

I wanted him to tell me everything would be okay.

But no.

He was gone... they were all gone now. My friends, my family, my home, my old life...

Everything.

Everything I had experienced, everything we had all shared, the good times and the bad, were all gone -- burned away by an all consuming fire. Coming back here had only driven that home for me and I began to wonder why I had even bothered to come here at all.

I took the stetson off and looked at it with a bitter frown.

As I stared at the hat, I could feel the numbness begin to push the sorrow back. With one last sigh I trotted up to the mostly intact entrance of the library and placed the stetson on the ground in front of the doorway.

"I miss you, girls... I miss you, Spike," I sniffed and wiped away a stray tear. Taking a step back, I spread my wings, "...I love you all."


With those final words, I took off, resolving never to come back to these ruins again.