• Published 31st Mar 2018
  • 1,034 Views, 41 Comments

A New Starting Point - Lunar Flarion



A stallion finds himself in a new universe, which is far better than his own.

  • ...
4
 41
 1,034

Chapter 28: Settling in and Regrets

Flare looked down at the food that had been set in front of him. It was a steak with some steamed broccoli and cauliflower. The mare, Moon Mother or “Star” had told Flare that dinner was going to be served and that he would be able to stay at the castle. When they had walked up to the dining hall, Star had asked Flare about himself. Flare went through the whole story, though leaving out some details like his family and the Pacifist way. He told her about how he tried to slow the evil spirit down, but they were too quick and not only cut his chest open but slit his throat in an effort to kill him in a much more painful, albeit quick way. Star had grimaced when he told her the story, and he could hear a low growl come from Sithis who walked behind the two. Once they had entered the hall, Star told some tidbits about herself, how she raised and lowered the moon, watched over her subjects, dealt with some nobles that thought they ruled the place, but were quickly mistaken when she threw them out and told them to leave the attitude behind and come back with respect. So that got a chuckle out of him. As they all sat in the dining room, they ordered their food, and this is where Flare sat, his thoughts blocking out any noise Solar or Light were making.

“Is something the matter with your food?” Star asked as she ate some mashed potatoes.

“No, just thinking,” Flare replied as he gripped his fork and knife with magic and cut into the steak.

“About what,” Star asked as she swallowed,” If I may ask.”

‘How about the simple fact this is too good to be true,’ Flare mused within his mind.

“Simply everything that has happened to me over the past few days...” Flare admitted.

“Right, I heard of the attack,” Star admitted as well,” I knew the wolves were hungry, but not that hungry.”

“Eh,” Flare shrugged,” Guess we shoulda thrown them a bone before then?”

This earned a snort from the mare and Sithis tried to hide his smirk as he rolled his eyes. Flare smiled in response, it was good to hear a laugh after a while.

“Well, I see that we have a jokester,” Star replied with a smile of her own.

“It seems so,” Sithis replied with a nod.

An awkward silence fell upon all of them as they ate. Flare looked up and around the dining room every couple of minutes. This couldn’t have been real, maybe it was the mushroom? Maybe he had been captured by somepony or one of the hunters and they have him sedated. Yet the food tasted real, he could smell Star and Sithis’s food, so that helped relieve the tension he felt. Once again, Star noticed his movements.

“Are you sure nothing is wrong?” Star asked as her fork was laid gently against the table.

“He might think this isn’t real,” Sithis offered.

Flare looked Star dead in the eyes, she felt as if a message should’ve been sent, but all she got from the gaze was a slight fear from the glowing red eye.

“Is that true, Flare?” Star asked,” Do you think all of this is too good to be true?”

“Yes,” Flare finally answered,” I was kicked out of one kingdom with what looked to be your kin to this city’s citizens, and you heard of the attack, so you must know of my exile. Is there some string attached to this?”

Star sighed and told Sithis to leave the room for a little while. Sithis followed the order immediately and left, he took the plate of food with him though. With the dragon gone, Star sat up straight, and her eyes gaze off a serious look. Yet her gaze matched the same intensity of Flare’s, so they were even in willpower. Star cleared her throat, and Flare waited patiently for what she had to say.

“It is true that we know of your exile,” Star admitted,” It is also true that some of the citizens of my small kingdom may relate to ones of yours. However, the reason I brought you here is that of your importance.”

“Importance?” Flare mused,” Other than being not of this world, what other importance do I have?”

“You are important to my- to Primrose, correct?” Star asked.

“Yes,” Flare nodded.

“To her, you are very important, not only to her but to Night, to Shattered, who couldn’t have proposed to my- Midnight.” Star continued,” It seems that you are rather important to at least two ponies, but let us remind you how you saved the kingdom from the invasion or at least a specter of yourself. To me, you have importance to many. I found it rather disappointed that the king and queen would exile you over such magic, though I can’t also blame them too much, for I have seen the darkness corrupt a pony whose will was strong.”

“So, I’m here because you thought my exile wasn’t truly justified?” Flare asked.

“Correct,” Star nodded,” We- I had come up with a way to get you back into town, but it seems that my plan wouldn’t be needed.”

“Wait... what plan?” Flare asked, his eyes narrowed, ”What do you mean by it won’t be needed?”

“Because Mid-” Star started.

“No... something isn’t right, how did you know that without my help Midnight wouldn’t have been engaged to Shattered? How do you know of me and Prim’s relationship?” Flare slammed his hooves onto the table, which startled the mare,” Tell me this, have you been spying on the kingdom? More importantly the Royal Family? Also, what is with this “my” then cutting yourself off?”

Star was quiet for a moment, then started to laugh. With a breath, she said,” I’m glad young Prim found a rather smart one!”

“Huh?” this had taken Flare by surprise.

“Well, I guess I should stop being so cryptic, hm?” Star mused,” To answer your first question, yes, I have spied on the Royal Family, but I can assure you it was for their own protection... after an incident. Second, now I wished to have told you this long after you have settled in, but I will tell you my secret now.”

“Go ahead,” Flare said.

“Primrose, Night Blossom, and Midnight are all my great-grandchildren,” Star stated.

This caught Flare off guard completely, his jaw dropped and he became speechless.

Star smiled,” I bet you didn’t expect that. Though I can understand that you now have some questions... again.”

Flare’s jaw closed and he thought, yes he did have questions. He took in a breath and agreed that he did.

“Yes, my first question is, do they know your their great-grandmother?” Flare’s first question came out jagged.

Star seemed to be barely phased by the question and the jaggedness of it,” No... they don’t, they know of me as a myth or legend.”

“Then why don’t you visit them?” Flare asked, this time a little calmer than before.

Star looked at him and sighed,” Because I don’t know how the-”

“It doesn’t matter,” Flare interrupted,” They’re your family, you should spend with them, your great-granddaughters should know their great-grandmother!”

Star gave him a sad look,” I would like to, but... I still fear what may happen if I do. My kingdom is for lost souls of the Solar Empire-”

“What!?” Flare semi-shouted.

“I’m guessing Sithis wasn’t too detailed with his stories?” Star smiled,” His son is just like him in that sense.”

“Anyway, yes, every soul you see here were once apart of the Solar Empire or lived during that era. At first, tensions ran high, but soon they settled down. Now, every pony and creature that lives here lives here happily! If my grandson and granddaughter-in-law were to find this out, I don’t know what might happen. The wereponies were searching for us, for whatever legend they found out about me that may not be true.”

“I can see how that is a problem, the wereponies did say, at least from what I’ve heard, they were looking for something,” Flare stated“...I was never told about the sisters’ grandmother or great-grandmother either.”

“Yes, though I never understood why they never told them about me or my children,” Star said sadly,” That is why I watch over them, I make sure nothing bad happens to them. They may not know me, but I would love to know them... maybe one day, even meet them in person and tell them old stories!”

Flare cracked a small smile, the bitterness slowly faded away,” I think they would love to see more family.”

“Maybe...” Star grinned, but then changed the topic,” Remember the plan? I told you how it seemed to be needed, but now it isn’t?”

“Yes,” Flare’s grin dropped,” What do you mean by it.”

“I was going to tell you,” Star smiled slyly,” But you cut me off and we got side-tracked~!”

“Oh... right,” Flare grinned awkwardly,” Sorry about that...”

“No worries,” Star assured as she pulled out a small crystal ball,” Come closer.”

“You going to tell me my fortune or something?” Flare joked as he got up from his chair and walked over.

“Hm, in a sense, yes!” Star smiled as her horn lit up.

The ball started to glow a dark purple aura, soon a clear image started to form in the crystal surface.

---At The Other Castle---

Midnight sighed as she got back from training her soldiers, her body ached, and she had a slight stomachache that she hoped went away soon. As she walked to her room, she continued to think about what had happened after they sent Flare away, she felt weird about it, not in a way of not understanding, but in more of “did, I overreact” type of weird. The thought came to her when she overheard some of the recruits as they told about their experiences in the invasion. She told them to get back to work or it was extra laps, yet the seed was already planted. She fought back the urge to think about it as she trained them in hoof-to-hoof combat. Now that she wasn’t training them, now that she could think of anything else, the thought burst through. The thought brought up points such as Prim’s attitude towards her, then Prim barely leaving her room or not even being in it. Then when she found out about the... past. They were connected and Midnight was upset that she didn’t see it. As time passed, the thought became more evident that what they did was not right, nor fair. Finally, she reached her room, yet she did not open the door, her hoof did not lift for the doorknob. She turned suddenly and walked to the throne room, her mind cleared, and her reasoning forward.

---Back at the Glowing City---

“What is she doing?” Flare asked as the ball went back to its normal coloring.

“Feeling regret,” Star stated,” She is starting to see the wrong behind her choice.”

Flare deadpanned,” What...?”

“She is going to renounce her vote of your banishment to her parents.” Star explained,” She is finally seeing straight.”

“Oh...” Flare replied.

“Hm,” Star hummed,” Would you like to know anything else?”

“Yeah,” Flare replied quickly,” Was there a reason you sent Sithis out?”

“Eh, he doesn’t need to hear about my family ties with the Royal family,” Star stated,” I’d only told you because you and my great-granddaughter are together. Also, kinda goes with it, but it was also a kinda warning that you shouldn’t do anything bad to them.”

“If you threaten me with bodily harm,” Flare chuckled,” To me, it’s an old friend.”

“A friend you shouldn’t have,” Star joked.

“True,” Flare shrugged,” Should we bring Sithis back in or?”

Star shook her head,” He is most likely in his room eating his dinner with his family, we shouldn’t impose.”

“Fair enough,” Flare replied,” So, can I still ask questions or is there a one question per hour wait time?”

“Nah, the only time limit is when I’m tired,” Star smiled.

“Alright,” Flare said, then he pondered for a moment on what he should ask. After a good moment, he asked,” What are with the Wereponies here? Why are they so violent?”

“Well,” Star started off with a hint of sadness in her voice,” To answer that, we need to start at the start. There was a war between a corrupt ruler of the Solar Empire, the forces of the Night, the dragons, griffons, and even minotuars all banded together to fight them. We won and divided up the land we gained into evenly placed chunks for each kingdom based on how much they lost in the war. The least casualties were the wereponies, so they got the least amount of land. Of course, they got upset, they have been rather territorial ever since they were first created. Yet, my mother talked them down and gave them the diamond mines and a place of good hunting and safety, the mountains. They lived semi-happily there, but I guess in recent years, that foolish prince decided to take what was not his, but they had you to help and stop them.”

Flare listened closely, each word sunk deep into his soul as he analyzed the more important bits. Once that was finished, Flare asked another question,” Who were your children? I might have heard of their names somewhere.”

“My children...” Star said with a gentle voice, one that contained sadness,” My children names were Silver Lining and Bright Sky respectively, Silver Lining was a smart mare who founded the kingdom you found yourself in that fateful night. Bright Sky was more headstrong, yet he was caring and found ways to settle arguments, with or without fighting. He wasn’t a ruler of a kingdom, but he did not care. Soon, my daughter gave birth to Blood Moon, I only saw him for a few minutes before a... powerful enemy attacked. My son fought them off, but he was killed due to his injuries... my daughter was filled with grief, but took care of her son with her late husband. She later died to an injury as well...”

“I’m... sorry to hear that...” Flare stated as sharp pain slashed at his heart.

“It is alright, but after that attack, I left, I could barely stand in the kingdom of my daughter,” Star stated,” But you know the pain as well, losing one you hold close, for you have lost three if I’m not mistaken?”

That phase Flare as she said that, he just simply replied,” Yes, my mother, father, and adoptive father. Technically I’ve lost four since I’m no longer there with my brother.”

“It seems we have found a common ground,” Star smiled.

“Seems so,” Flare admitted.

“We should probably go and check up on Midnight, see how she is doing,” Star offered.

“Right, right,” Flare agreed.

---Other Castle---

“I’m renouncing my vote on the Banishment of Lunar Flarion Glow.” Midnight stated firmly to her mother and father.

“Is that so?” Blood asked.

“Yes,” Midnight stood tall,” I have been thinking about it for a few days, and Ib realized that we acted out of fear.”

Blood Moon said nothing as he looked over at his wife, who seemed to be in thought. Honey looked up and at her daughter.

“I... think we did act of haste,” Honey replied,” We did act of fear.”

“Hm...” Blood lowered his head, now the one in thought.

“Father please, he saved us from the invasion!” Midnight retorted.

“That excuse is useless when you use it since you felt strongly the same as we did during the council.” Blood retorted back,” But, if you wish to renounce your vote, then so be it.”

“Does that mean?” Midnight asked,” Does that mean he is fre-”

“No, for we have two other options other than banishment, he is free to live here, or he is imprisoned here,” Blood stated.

“Then I vote for him to come back and live free here,” Midnight stated with a snort.

“Though there is a slight trouble...” Honey butted in,” We need to find him to get him back here.”

“I’ll send out a search party for him,” Midnight offered.

“Would that be wise?” Blood countered.

“I’ll send ones who are hunters and have hunted in the forest themselves, there are more recruits that fall in that category, so I can send them out.” Midnight responded.

“Well, assuming he isn’t dead by now,” Blood replied,” He will most likely think those are hunters after him, if they wear guard armor, he may run, maybe thinking we sent guards to “finish the job” or such.”

“I’ll see if I can have them wear none hunter attire and see if that works.” Midnight countered.

“Alright, then it is settled,” Blood stated.

“Flare is welcomed back into our kingdom,” Honey finished happily.

---Glowing City’s Castle---

“It seems you have been pardoned for a crime that wasn’t there,” Star smiled,” Though the suits may take a day or two before they are done, and the guards sent to retrieve you won’t be sent out til then. So you will have to stay here... unless you wish to go back into the forest.”

“Yeah,” Flare responded with a deadpan expression,” that’s gonna be a no to the forest.”

“That is what I thought~,” Star smirked,” Since the night is rising and I have to lower the moon soon.”

“Hm, I want to see you “lower the moon” as you say,” Flare replied, still suspicious about the truth of it.

“Then follow me!” Star replied with a large smile.

---Other Castle---

Prim had flown around the castle to clear her mind a little bit. This was not the first time she had done this before Flare had arrived she had done this almost every time she couldn’t sleep. As she made another round, she spotted her sister, Midnight telling orders to four of her soldiers, three mares, one stallion. She wondered what she told the group since they didn’t seem to be in trouble, they weren’t flinching or nearly in tears. She flew down as quiet as she could and ducked behind some nearby equipment and listened in.

“Your mission is to find Lunar Flarion, he is somewhere in the Razorwood Forest, most likely heading to the mountain range. You will be issued special suits a day from now, any questions?” Midnight’s voice was cold and demanded respect.

“What weapons are we allowed to bring?” one of the mares asked.

“Nothing too big, Flare is fast and rather intelligent, he is more of a skilled hunter than most of you, yet he won’t harm you. Keep it down to a dagger and or crossbow.” Midnight stated.

No other questions arose, so Midnight shouted,” Alright, dismissed!”

The soldiers saluted and walked back to where ever they were before the small meeting. Prim stood up as the four exited earshot, and walked over to Midnight, who jumped slightly at seeing her sister.

“Sis!?” Midnight flinched.

“What was that about?” Prim asked, her eyes narrowed.

“Well, I’m guessing you heard it all already,” Midnight sighed,” Flares coming back home.”

Prim had a feeling that there was a catch, and she was open about it,” What’s the catch?”

“There is none,” Midnight explained,” Flare’s coming back here to live in peace, you can have him in your life again. The only problem is that we only have a rough guess of where he is.”

Prim gave a silent sigh, a small rush of joy ran through her. Her small moment of joy was interrupted by Midnight.

“Go to be, sis,” Midnight ordered as she hugged her for a moment,” You need your rest.”

Prim was now in too good of a mood to decline and gave Midnight a hug back. Prim went off to bed, a smile on her face, that night.

Author's Note:

Wow... kinda hard to think this but ANSP is near the end of its storyline.