• Published 31st Mar 2018
  • 1,034 Views, 41 Comments

A New Starting Point - Lunar Flarion



A stallion finds himself in a new universe, which is far better than his own.

  • ...
4
 41
 1,034

Chapter 23: The Past

The small castle sat silent, the Royal families decision has been met with both criticism and love from all types of vamponies. The ones who dislike this idea were public about it, saying that the monster that they banished was a hero for repealing the attackers. The ones who didn’t like the monster said that he used evil magic to repeal them, therefore, he was dangerous, but if he was evil was debated. Some even opted to hunt him down and kill him, since some of them believed that he should have perished for his usage of evil magic. Misinformation, rumors, and the like spread quickly throughout the kingdom, but to say this was a crisis was an over exaggeration. Many vamponies, though in different opinions were rather peaceful towards others, the ones who opted to hunt Flare weren’t claimed by either side, both thinking that it was both dumb and meaningless to attack him when he is no longer in the town or the nearby towns. The Royals remained mostly silent, and so did their staff and guards.

Prim Bite, though she lost the only pony she loved, hid most of her anger and sadness, thinking that, in time, she could cope with this, but, certain things always got to her. Her sisters noticed that she started to not eat as much, nor drink as much. Her parents talked to her about it, but she denied help, saying that she was fine. Though they all knew she wasn’t, they all knew she wanted him back, which worried them. Night was worried about the fact that Prim might become impulsive, acting without thinking first. Midnight thought that Prim is eating less because he left, a thought that was later confirmed by Night after she was done counseling Prim. Her parents worried, simply because their child was saddened by their decision. They felt doubt grow in their minds, thinking they acted without true reason to, without asking questions, only giving into their fear of the unknown, they acted without proper thought. Prim simply thought they were overthinking things just a little bit.

It had been three days since Flare’s exile, the growing reports of vamponies trying to find him grew slightly, some of their subjects questioned if they acted out of nothing but fear. This was a problem, and this only helped the seed grow its roots into their minds... They thought they did something right, and in truth, they kinda did, they wanted their citizens safe from harm's way, but if the wereponies figured out that not only did the Vamponies give up Flare, they could recruit him into their ranks. Though this was highly unlikely, it still worried them.

------

Flare had been wandering farther and farther out of the small hut. He had read the books, each one containing different types of potions brews, herbs, spices, and the like. Only after discovering that diary did he find out about the history before vamponies. To him, he was shocked to see that the sun actually existed in this world, thinking that the moon was the only celestial body in the sky. He thought about this, and how, in every other history book he had read here, the sun was next to mythos, like the vamponies were afraid of it. He could think now, think about the world he was in. Though this proved a challenge, as he looked for different roots and such to make a cure for the Poison Joke he had stepped in by accident. To say the cursed flower did something to him was an understatement, it played a cruel joke. Others, from what the books had said, were affected physically... he was affected mentally. All he could think about was bad and horrid thoughts, his time in the woods where Reaper left him to die. The angry beasts that clawed at him, howling to have fresh meat. Only one got a good swipe on him, and that is the main thing that is prevalent. The three scratches on his right side... yet that wasn’t where it had ended, no, when he had gotten out and had the marks healed to scars, Reaper struck again, hitting his head with the spear that caused all of his problems.

*Bonk*

“Ow! Geez...” Flare growled, he was too in thought that he had just run head first into a tree. Glaring at the tree, he walked around it, tripping slightly on the roots.

*Sigh*” Well... look at yourself Flare... you found love in a princess who loved you back... and now...” he chuckled sadly,” You’re nothing more than an outcast... wondering how she’s doing without you, with those crazy bats hunting you down for reasons you don’t understand. When did my life go downhill?”

‘... it is my fault...’ Forbidden’s voice echoed softly,’ I messed up badly... and it costed not just me... but Solar... and you... I should’ve given you back control to talk to them, tell them I’m no threat to them...’

‘Forbidden, it is over and done, no need to be sad now,’ Solar’s voice interrupted.

‘He’s right bud, it doesn’t matter now.’ Flare thought back as he turned to head back to the hut.

*Sigh*’ There isn’t much going on here, and I can’t seem to find that fungus we need for that potion.’ Flare grumbled.

‘Let’s just head home... I think that is the better option.’ Solar stated,” You ain’t getting that mushroom today.”

“You’re probably right... I have been searching for a good few hours...” Flare admitted.

‘I guess we head back to the creepy hut,’ Forbidden said.

“Yes,” Flare answered,” Though I have no doubt more of the hunters are here, I’m going to have to move camp soon.”

‘Not only that but the guards that are sent to stop them seem to try and get you as well,’ Forbidden growled,’ Either they are trying to subdue you, or take you out of an equation we know nothing about.’

‘There we go again,’ Solar said,’ No more theories!’

The sound of the two arguing echoed in Flare’s mind as he turned and headed back towards his hut. Only to hear something from just beyond the bushes. He stopped and listened in, and he heard a voice, male, adult most likely. Then hears another voice, a female one.

“He is- No, he is not hurt- Poison Joke, that is all,” The male voice said, and echo following it.

“Find the mushr- Yes, and try not to scare- he can be dangerous if messed with,” The female voice called back.

“A- you wish, Mother M-,” The voice cut off as Flare walked closer.

*CRACK*

*SNAP*

“HEY!” Flare shouted as he heard the thing flee, and hearing the racket it made, it was big. Flare thought for a moment, was it a guard? One of the bigger ones that the Vamponies had, or a werepony guard? Both had been patrolling the area, he evaded the werepony ones much easier than the vampony ones, but maybe he done goofed up this time.

He looked at the direction of the noise, weighing the options. Chase something that sounds to be bigger than him and most likely walk into a trap or go home and sleep while hoping fate gives you the mushroom... and then get stuck in a trap. Flare didn’t look out with a deadpan stare and sighed.

“Welp, it’s at times like these where I need to trust my gut,” Flare said, hoping that it could guide him.

...

Okay, time to head back to the hut with a less chance of death. Flare took one look back and then walked towards the hut. Even though the walk was silent, other than the occasional forest noise, Flare couldn’t help but feel like he was being followed. As if each step he took was being copied by somepony or thing off in the woods, out of his sight. He tried not to focus on it, allowing his mind to drift as well as it can without going too far into the bad thoughts that had been accumulating over time. His walk slowed from a normal pace, his heart started to slow as well, and he felt calm, he felt like nothing bad could happen, even as he had just started to stop walking... He knew something wasn’t right, he had never been this calm, and the bad thoughts should have entered and tormented him by now, yet they didn’t. He unfocused his mind for a second to see the world around him everything was the same, and he was now standing in front of the hut. The hut was a good thirty minutes away from where he was, yet he felt like it had only been a few seconds.

*Sniff sniff*” Wait... this isn’t right...” Flare said, he looked around once more and saw the woods closing in on him, everything was turning white... and he felt the cold once more. His heart started to race again as he turned around in his place. Then he saw it... on the ground and in the trees...

Snow, a fresh blanket of it... now covering the forest.

*At the castle*

“Prim!” A joyous Prickle Bush said as she hugged the princess, a bright smile on her muzzle.

“Hey Prickle Bush,” Prim said, a small smile forming on her muzzle,” Hey Rose Thorn!”

“Hiya!” Rose said with an equally bright smile,” How have you been? You look...”

Rose looked at Prim and noticed she had lost some weight, but still looked the same,” Different!”

“Oh...” Prim said, looking down,” Yeah... sorry... some ‘stuff’ has happened lately...”

“Oh! Well... hows Flare?” Prickly asked.

Prim didn’t say anything as she looked down at the ground, an aura of sadness and anger formed around her, making the sisters worried something has happened to their relationship. Yet, Prickly, being rather nosy this time around, asked,” Prim, what happened?”

*Gasp!*” You didn’t break up did you?!” Rose asked as she covered her mouth.

“W-What?” Prim looked up,” No! No! We didn’t break up... but we were forced to be separated... by a royal decree...”

The two sisters looked at each other than her. They both said in unison,” What?

“Well... the attack from the wereponies had gotten my parents and...” Prim gave a low growl,” Midnight scared of powerful forces... namely Flare... even though he saved them... I’m surprised you didn’t know!”

“Well... me and Rose here have been exploring a rather interesting place!” Prickly said, trying to have a happy mood.

“Yeah, it's an ancient farm!” Rose said with a smile,” From all the trees, I guess it was an apple farm!”

“Yeah! And we were thinking of letting you join us, ya know... to make you feel better!” Prickly said.

“Yeah, wanna come?” Rose asked, hitting her sister in the shoulder.

“...Sure, I guess I could leave this dull place for a little while!” Prim said, gaining back a smile for herself.

“Yeah!” the two sisters said at the same time.

“Oh, tell Midnight that you’re leaving, and where we’re going!” Rose said.

Prim snorted,” I’m a grown mare, I don’t need to tell Midnight where I’m going!”

Rose sighed,” I’ll go tell her, you just get your disguise on! We need to leave before the night settles in!”

“Alright!” Prim said.

*Back with Flare*


He had been following the trail of blood for a while now, he didn’t know where it lead to, but he followed it none the less. He looked up every once and a while to observe his surroundings, each time, they looked more and more familiar. He had a bad feeling about this... something wasn’t right. He found the blood trail after seeing a beartrap in the snow. Since there was no bear, he thought that maybe he could find somepony by following the trail... but who would be out in the woods when it was snowing this heavily?

That’s when the blood trail stopped. Flare stopped as well and looked up to see... his home... his home in Ponydin. His eyes shrunk as he looked around, the snow fall clearing slightly to show the town in it’s full glory. His heart started to pound harder and harder and he felt a splitting headache. He looked back at his house and ran towards it, not caring for the howling of the cold wind. With a quick flash, he teleported into the house, with one, deep breath he shouted,”LIGHTNING TRAIL!”

...

His voice echoed throughout the house, but no response came. His heart skipped a beat and he ran upstairs to Lightning Trails room. With a great slam, he opened the door, breaking it off its hinges as if it was old and rotted. The room looked the same, nothing noticeable, the bed, the computer, the bloo-.

“Blood?” Flare asked as he leaned down to examine it. It had stained the carpet and the trail that had followed it had lead in a circle. He was sure that there was no blood trail heading up here, but he had to double check. He turned and looked outside the room... a trail of blood. However, this one was different, it had lead down the stairs and Flare didn’t know why. It just felt like it did. He followed it again, once again, blindly. He ran down the stairs and through the front door, this time, the trail was thicker. He ran, following to where ever this trail went, past the house, past the puzzles his brother had made, past everything until he was in the cold mist where his brother... had confronted... the fallen one.

“NO!” Flare shouted as he ran headfirst into the mist, the mist grasped his lungs, making it hard to breathe as he headed in deeper. The blood trail had now gotten so thick that it was like a carpet or a blanket. He ran faster his eyes narrowing as the mist got so thick, that he couldn’t see a foot in front of him. Then, as he ran, he tripped. He had tripped on something cold... with fur... and he felt a scarf touch his leg as he did so. Landing face first into the snow, he plucked his head out and shook the snow off, then looked back to see the silhouette of something pony-like in the mist. He got up, but slipped, the snow had somehow turned slippery. This only was a slight set back as he glided across the snow to see who this form was. Once he slid close enough to it, he stopped himself and leaned down... he saw his brother’s scarf...

...

“Hey Prim! Catch up why don’t ya?” Prickly said jokingly.

“Heh! Sorry, It has been a while since my last midnight flight!” Prim huffed as she flapped her wings harder to catch up.

They had been flying for what seemed like hours, the two sisters, with their eagerness driving them, did not feel tired at all. Prim, on the other hoof, was feeling tired and had taken some breaks to recharge a little.

“Come on! It’s right... HERE!” Prickly said as she dive-bombed towards the ground at a quick pace. Rose followed her, but with more grace as she flew down. Prim didn’t care how it looked, she practically just fell with style and landed next to them. Taking a few breathes, Prim looked at the sisters, who had looks of glee on their muzzles. With another short breath, Prim walked closer to them, gaining their attention. The place looked creepy, a low fog hanged across the ground and the sky looked to be near black. Even if the sky had blackened, she had her trusty night vision to help!

“Prim,” Rose said, beaming,” Can you believe this place existed right under our noses!?”

Rose pointed at what looked like a large iron gate, though it had been rusted through and through for Moon Mother knows how long. Rose just smiled as she lowered her hoof and walked closer. Prickly and Prim followed behind her allowing a brief moment of quietness. Then, with the most annoying noise any metal object could make, a loud creaking noise that echoed throughout the area they were in, the gate was pushed open by Rose.

With the gate now opened, Prim, Rose, and Prickly walked through and immediately noticed the barrels that lay near the door. Rose smiled again and raced towards the barrels, giving them a quick look over. The label was old and rotted some, but still readable.

“Prickly! Prim! Come ‘ere!” Rose yelled.

“Yes?” The two asked as they looked at the barrel.

“I’ve only heard legends of this place!” Rose said,” Do you know where we are standing!?”

“A haunted apple farm?” Prim asked.

“ An old apple farm that may have ghosts?” Prickly said smugly.

“NOOOO!” Rose said, her smile fading into a disappointed frown. She pointed at the barrel and read aloud what it said,” Apple cider from Sweet Apple Acres!”

Author's Note:

Welp, here ya go, enjoy!

And sorry for the late night post.