• Published 19th Mar 2018
  • 4,427 Views, 51 Comments

The Road I Travel. - Thebaconpiggybank



Because of Anon-A-Miss Sunset's life has been ruined. Now she just wants to start anew, so after she pawns off everything she owns, she takes to the streets to travel and find a family of her own.

  • ...
4
 51
 4,427

Truck Rides, Small Talk, and a Subway

Sunset stared out the window and looked out at the passing fields of green. They had been driving for a while and although the truck's engine was loud, there was some sort of calming rhythm to it that lulled her into a state of relaxation and soon enough, she found herself drifting off... Maybe she could lean back and relax. Sleep didn't sound bad at all really. She was about to lean back until she stopped herself.

She didn't know this person and there was no telling what they would do. She sighed and reached down to her bag which rested in between her legs. After she unzipped it, she pulled out one of the energy drinks and looked at its name. "Pegasus". She smiled a bit as she thought back to her time in Equestria. She always admired the pegasi for their wings. They were beautiful... The smile slowly shifted to one of sadness though as she realized that she couldn't go back.

Deciding to move meant that she wouldn't be able to go back... There wasn't anything there for her though so she pushed herself away from the sadness. Besides, Twilight most likely heard of what happened and believed the girls so Equestria was out of the question anyway.

"Hey, you doing alright? You've been staring at that drink for a long time."

The sudden voice made her jump and she turned to the bald driver.

"Oh, me? Yeah. I'm alright. Just thinking."

"Alright. Well if you need to talk to somebody then let me know." He said. His hand fell back to the stick as he drove and he seemed to relax a bit.

Sunset nodded in reply and then looked back to the drink. As she opened it, the crack was heard and a hiss escaped the can. She brought it to her lips and slurped a bit up. She had agreed to just go where he was going and that she would tell him when she wanted to get out. Strangely enough, the man agreed.

As she set the drink down in the pullout cup holder from the dashboard, she took a second to look at him. He wore a white t-shirt, worn jeans, and had some black sunglasses. He even had a greyish beard. Not a big one that fluffed out though. It was just a short one to look nice. Then there was the fact that he was a bit muscular, bald and had a bunch of tattoos on his arms. There was a spider web on his elbow and a bunch of other cool things that went to his knuckles too. He even had some barbed wire around his wrist. They looked great as well and it didn't look like they were trying to take up as much space as possible. It was like he was saving those spaces. Maybe she could ask where he got them and what they meant.

She pulled her head away after she realized that she had been staring and looked down at her bag. If he noticed then he didn't say anything which she was thankful for. Still, she wanted to play it cool.

"So..." She started, seemingly grasping for a subject "Any reason why you were all the way out there?"

He looked a bit surprised for a moment but smiled softly.

"I do stucco. This is my last job for the season so I'm headed back home." He answered.

"And where's that at?"

"Up in a snowy little place called Log Hill. Got my own little house up there. Its pretty nice as well. I'd show you some pictures but I'm drivin' and I don't want to crash into a tree."

Sunset smiled a bit from this. "You can tell me about it if you'd like. I'm all ears, mister... Uh... I never got your name."

"Buck. You?"

"Sunset Shimmer. And uh, Buck's a bit of a weird name don't you think?"

"Yep. It's a nickname but I've stuck with it. And you can refrain from the mister part. I don't really care for the formal stuff."

When Sunset heard this, she could but help bit smile. "Alright Buck, Im all ears..."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"So what your saying is that the landlord gave you the papers to your last place but that his brother got a hold of them when he died so he kicked you out?!" Sunset asked in disbelief.

The man just chuckled. "Yep. He wasn't the nicest fellow but I'm glad I managed to move. Besides, I like this place a lot better."

"I would hope so. And you don't have to worry about moving, right?" She asked as she looked at him.

"Dont have to worry about it at all."

"Good. Not having a place to live isn't fun. Trust me."

"Oh I know, don't worry. I don't plan on going homeless anytime soon. Besides, I can always find work most of the time."

With that settled, she smiled and leaned back into her seat with a sigh. She looked over at him again.

"What work do you even do in the winter?" She asked curiously. "Since you do construction and stucco in the summer, do you just take odd jobs during the winter ooor?"

Buck thought for a moment and shrugged. "It depends. Last season I just did odd jobs but over the summer managed to land a job at a local bar."

"Huh... Neat."

"Oh, and if your gonna tag along the whole way then I can let you crash at my place. Possibly drive up a bit further." He added.

Sunset seemed to smile a little more brightly from that. "Only if you'll allow it."

"In that case then, I will. I don't like it when people struggle. Now go ahead and get some sleep. You've been up as long as me and that's a feat in itself." He joked. It only got chuckle to keep her smile.

"Only if you'll sleep as well. Im not sure if I can trust some bald man who's on the verge of passing out while he drives."

"Fair point. I'll pull off when I can so I can get a hotel room..." He said with a straight face.

It took a second for Sunset to register what he said and when she did she smiled and expressed herself with a small laugh. "Hey! That's a bit selfish!"

The man just lets out a laugh that he had clearly been holding in and his joy made her happiness increase by what felt to be tenfold. He wasn't so intimidating anymore. Especially when he laughed so joyfully like that.

"I was wondering when you'd realize what id said!" Buck laughed. "The slow realization that was on your face! Phew! Hehe."

A happy sigh escaped the man and he laughed lightly before letting out a breath. Sunset ended up doing the same but he cut her off before she could speak by saying something she wanted to hear.

"Alright you, I'm pulling off right here. Wanna stop by a Subway or something?" He asked as he turned.

She cocked a brow. "Um... Sorry to say this but what's a Subway?"

She felt the truck stall for a second as the man's shock came to them. He looked at her as they slowed down at a stoplight.

"You... You're kidding, right?" He asked in disbelief.

She nervously shook her head

"You don't know what a Subway is?"

She nodded and a look of determination came to Bucks' face.

"Fine. We're going to a Subway." He said.

Her head raised and she was about to disagree, only to be interrupted and silenced with a "No no no, not a word until we get you to a Subway." From Buck.

After five minutes of driving and attempting to dismiss the entire Subway deal, Sunset finally lets herself admit defeat and looked out the window, slightly annoyed. Several more minutes later, Buck stopped at another stoplight and made a turn into a large parking lot. After he parked, he turned to her.

"So, what all do you like on your sandwich?" He asked as he pulled the key out. The loud vehicle went silent and it almost confused Sunset for a moment since she had grown so accustomed to it in the short amount of time.

"It depends. I don't really eat meat so I guess vegan stuff." She answered.

The man looked like he had been shot in the chest when she said that she didn't eat meat and she had to stop herself from laughing.

"Dont eat meat? My, y-you poor girl! I... I don't even know what to say in response! Still, if you're gonna avoid meat, I can't stop you as sad as that may be. Now lets head in. You can make it with whatever when you get in." With that said he opened the door.

Sunset followed his lead and stepped out. When she tried to shut the door she didn't slam it hard enough which caused her to groan as she looked at the sort of closed door. Buck just laughed a bit.

"You wanna just head on in while I shut it?"

"No, no I've got this. Just give me a sec." She reasoned as she went and opened it again.

After a second, she readied herself then slammed it shut and thankfully, it worked. With the annoying truck door settled with, she turned around and walked towards the restaurant with the man now following beside her. After only hearing their footsteps for a minute as they walked, Sunset opened the door and stepped in with Buck behind her. She went behind the line and looked ahead. While Buck just went in line, prompting her to awkwardly look around then follow him.

When Buck got to the front, Sunset began to watch so she could follow his lead.

"Hello sir, what is it you'd like?"

"Flatbread, everything on it, mayo and Mustard as well."

"Toasted or no?"

"Keep it as it is."

"Alright. And what about you miss?"

"Uh, flatbread as well i guess."

"Toasted?"

She nodded and they went and retrieved two things if flatbread then put one in the toaster. After five seconds or so, it was toasted much to her surprise and the woman put it on some paper then slid it down with Bucks. A guy was putting everything on it like Buck had asked and after putting on the condiments, they folded it, wrapped it, then slid it down.

Buck moved down with it and Sunset took his place.

"And what you like?"

"Um... Everything for a vegan?" She asked with an awkward shrug.

They simply nodded and proceeded to do just that.

"Any sauces?"

"No thanks."

Again, they nodded then folded it and slid it down like they did to Buck who was already paying. She decided not to say anything and just stood by him.

"Want a cookie?"

He asked casually. Sunset was a bit surprised then realized he was referring to the cookies in front of them. After a second, she found herself staring at the macadamia ones...

"No thanks." She told him as she looked back.

"Alright then." He turned to the person at the register. "Two macadamias and two peanut butter cookies."

"W-Wait, what? But I-"

"Dont want to be a bother so you aren't allowing yourself to indulge in a simple cookie?" He interrupted with a knowing smile.

"Maybe! It's not like i can't pay though." She retorted with a smile.

"Fine. I'll let you pay next time." He replied

"Promise?"

Buck grabbed the bag and she watched his left hand grab the bag. She probably should have been paying attention to his right though.

"Promise." He told her with his right-hand fingers crossed.

With that spoken, he began to walk out with the bag while Sunset followed him.

"We'll eat when we get to the hotel." He said as they approached the truck.

Sunset simply nodded and opened the door as he walked around. When he got in, she was shutting the door for the third time and failing. He wordlessly set down the bag, reached across, and slammed Sunsets door shut then went back into his seat. After that, he started the truck, reached into the Subway bag, and pulled out the cookies. He then tossed the mini macadamia cookie pouch into Sunsets lap, then grabbed a cookie from his own and put it in his mouth as he pulled out of the parking space.

"I thought you said we weren't eating until we got to the hotel?" She asked in a slightly confused tone

"Cookies dont apply to that rule." He mumbled through the cookie.

Author's Note:

Heya. I hope you guys enjoy this one. Im trying to keep it simple and such and to be honest, all of your support convinced me to keep working on it.

Thanks everyone.