• Published 15th Mar 2018
  • 1,202 Views, 121 Comments

Best Served Cold - David Silver



Starlight gets a new friend. She seems to hang off of every word Starlight has to say and isn't at all worried about her troubled past. She even likes kites! How could this get any better?

  • ...
6
 121
 1,202

2 - Getting to Know You

Starlight trotted from the castle with a smile. She had a busy day planned. First... She looked to the left and saw a figure approaching. She raised a hoof at them, waving eagerly. "Maud!"

Maud nodded placidly. "Starlight."

"Are you ready?!" Starlight stepped towards her calm friend. "I've brought all the things you listed."

Maud tilted her head faintly one way, then the other. "Where's your pick?"

The pick floated free of Starlight's concealed pocket with a glowing bit of magic. "Right here. What are we hunting today?"

"We're not hunting," corrected Maud. "Rocks aren't alive." She turned away. "Who's that?" She looked at Saffron, who was approaching from town.

Starlight pointed, which became a wave. "That's Saffron Diamond. I just met her recently. She flies kites too."

Saffron joined them with a smile. "Starlight, and..." She looked towards Maud expectantly. Maud did not rise to the prompting.

Starlight did for her. "This is Maud. Maud Pie, a geologist and rocktologist. We were just about to go searching for interesting minerals."

"A pleasure, Maud." Saffron held out a hoof with the gems attached. "Nice to meet you. I've never gone... rock digging before. May I join?"

Maud reached out and pulled Saffron's hoof closer, eying her jewelry intently. "This isn't a diamond," she noted with muted interest. "The gold's fake too."

Saffron tensed, anger showing for just a moment before it fell into worry, then despair, her ears flopping as she crashed to her haunches. "I paid good bits for this! Are you sure?"

Starlight bit her bottom lip. "Well, um... it's still very pretty..."

Maud nodded faintly. "It's fake." A thought seemed to come to her. "There are gems that could replace it. We'll find some and make it real."

"Great idea," gushed Starlight with a growing smile. "Let's go. Want to come with us? It can get a little... dirty... but it's fun."

Saffron dabbed away a few false tears. "O-oh, that sounds lovely. With your help, Starlight, I'm sure we can find something just as fabulous." She rose up to her hooves properly. "I'm afraid I'm not ready to mine, but I'll do what I can."

Maud reached back and pulled a pick free. "Don't worry, I brought an extra." She held it towards Saffron. "Starlight forgets hers sometimes."

Saffron's horn glowed as she took hold of the pick. "Oh! How thoughtful of you..." There was some sarcasm in her voice, but Maud didn't notice it at all.

Starlight did and slid in beside Saffron as they began to walk. "You don't have to dig if you don't want to."

"No no!" Saffron waved the thought away as she walked. "I'd love to spend time with you, Starlight. I'm sure we'll find some pretty things."

"That's the spirit." Starlight bumped against her new friend, then hastened to catch up with Maud. "You don't mind having a third pony, I hope?"

Maud shrugged softly. "The last time you brought a pony, it worked out." Content in her reasoning, she advanced.

They descended into the tunnels that made up Maud's network and began mining where Maud directed. All three ready with picks began chipping and digging at the walls. A shower of gems came not long after in all manner of colors, spilling out over them.

Saffron blinked at the mass. "That was easy..."

Maud pointed at them. "These are common gems. They look alright though." She brushed over them with a hoof before plunging it into the mass and coming back with a mostly-clear one. "This one is more real than the one you're wearing. It still isn't a diamond."

Starlight broke into laughter. "I still don't know how you do that, Maud. You just glance at a wall and practically know what's hiding in it before you even start on it."

Saffron set her pick down and plucked up the offered gem in her magic. "Thank you, Maud. It's nice, but it doesn't... fit." She held it over her armband and it was far larger than the jewel that already resided there. "I guess there is such a thing as too much of a good thing."

Maud reached a hoof and took the gem back. She placed it on a flat rock, then looked back at Saffron's anklet. She paused a moment, then raised her pick in her mouth.

"Wait for it," whispered Starlight, her eyes locked on the earth pony.

"Wait for... what?"

The pick came down in a brutal strike. The gem cracked in half, a web of lines crossing it. It fell apart into so much dust, revealing a smaller gem inside that was exactly the size of Saffron's existing so-called diamond.

Even as Starlight clapped her approval, Saffron picked up the gem in her magic. "Huh..." She turned it around slowly. It was an exact match of hers, just made of actual stone, instead of fashioned from changeling magic. "You do have talents."

"It's practice." Maud pointed down the dim hallway, the light of her helmet guiding the way. "Let's find more interesting rocks."

Saffron let the two go ahead before she pressed the replacement diamond into place, working her magic around it. "Hm..." Satisfied, she trotted forward to catch up. The two were already working at a wall side-by-side. "Is it best for us to work so close together? We could hurt each other with these picks."

Starlight looked aside at her floating pick. "You have a point, especially with Maud's head being so close to the wall."

Maud pointed. "You go that way." She looked to Saffron. "You go that way." She pointed in another direction. "We'll meet here in ten minutes."

Saffron smiled as she moved off where she had been pointed. "Perfect," she muttered to herself as she went. She just had to think of how to sour Maud's opinion of Starlight.

With a rush of flames, she became Starlight and tucked the gem away. She snuck quietly into position, creeping close to the floor as Maud carefully chipped at the wall. She sprang up once she had reached the tunnel Starlight should have been in. She could distantly hear Starlight working. Perfect...

Saffron came walking out of the tunnel, her eyes on Maud. "Maud, I'm getting tired of this. I think I'm done mining."

"Okay."

Saffron blinked softly. She had expected a more emotional response than that. "I don't think I'll ever want to mine again."

"Alright."

Saffron stepped towards the tunnel that led out. "Don't ask me to again."

Maud nodded, then turned back to her wall, resuming her work as if nothing odd had happened.

Saffron walked out calmly, matching the gait of Starlight until she was around the corner. With a new rush, she became Maud. Sneaking through the maze of tunnels, she came upon Starlight, and approached her with the slow, even pace of Maud. "We should go," she said.

Starlight looked over her shoulder. "Oh, hey Maud. Is it ten minutes already? It's easy to lose track of time down here."

"Yeah... We should go." Saffron turned away and began walking. She heard Starlight following behind.

"I found a few rocks. I'm not sure how rare they are." Starlight hurried to catch up with the false-Maud. "Do you know?" She hovered a collection of green and red gems in front of Saffron.

"Common," replied Saffron without knowing, or caring. "You aren't good at this."

Starlight flinched back. "W-what? I was trying..." She forced a smile. "Oh, wait, is this some of your bone-dry humor? You got me, Maud." She resumed her pace, trying to shake it off. "I mean, compared to you, I bet I'm not very good. I'm just here to help, and hang out with a friend."

Saffron raised a brow. "What do you know about friends?"

Starlight's pace faltered a moment, almost tripping. "Well, uh... I'm learning, really. I mean, I passed Twilight's remedial education, didn't I? I have one friend at least." She moved to put an arm over Saffron's withers. "And you're a good friend, Maud."

Saffron reached up and casually removed the hoof. "I don't think we should mine anymore."

"W-what?"

Saffron pointed ahead to where light could be seen. "Go ahead. I still have work to do. Alone."

"Oh..." She took a slow step. "Did I... say something wrong?" Saffron was just staring at her. "I... guess I did... Sorry?" Saffron didn't move. "Right..." Starlight hung her head and began sullenly walking from the tunnel, towards the light of day.

Saffron grinned wickedly, which looked quite out of place on Maud's face. She became herself and trotted back to where she left her pick. "Things are going according to plan..."


Significantly later, Saffron emerged, dusty and dirty, but her jewelry had been replaced with better facsimiles that were actually comprised of metal and jewels. Maud had her uses, or so Saffron decided.

She didn't get far before she found her target. Starlight was sitting on a bench, lapping at some icecream. Was she sad? Good. Saffron approached at a casual pace. "Dear, you look like a mess. Where'd you disappear to? Imagine my surprise when I noticed you weren't there. Maud said you were alright, but good luck getting details out of that mare."

Starlight looked up in surprise at Saffron. "Oh! Welcome back." She forced a smile. "How'd it go, you know, with Maud?"

"I don't think digging in the dirt is really my 'thing'." Saffron shook a hoof, freeing bits of dust and debris with each motion. "But I'm asking about you, not me."

"O-oh, well, I'm fine." She suddenly popped the entire rest of the ice cream cone into her snout and swallowed it. She sat up and pat the spot she had been occupying. "Join me?"

Saffron hopped up beside Starlight. "You really shouldn't eat that so quickly."

"Wh--" She winced and clopped a hoof to her forehead.

"Brain freeze," answered Saffron despite the question not being finished. "Now where'd you go?"

"I... nothing important. I'm glad you had a good time?"

"It was alright." Saffron raised the forehoof that had the jewels attached. "Maud was good to her word, but digging around really isn't how I want to spend most afternoons, I think."

"It's not for everyone..." Starlight licked her lips. "Maud can get really passionate about it. It's one of the things that really gets her going. I... am envious sometimes."

Saffron perked an ear at Starlight. "Why is that?"

"Well..." Starlight rolled a hoof. "It's something she's really good at, and loves to do. What I'm really good at.... caused trouble for everypony. It's my best... and worst part..." She sighed softly and sank onto the bench, her rear end sliding out to make room with Saffron there. "I've... done some questionable things, in the past... I... You probably don't want to hear about that."

Saffron hiked a brow, curiosity building. "Like toppling kingdoms?"

Starlight went pale. "You know?! I mean... I thought I could... get revenge on Twilight. I didn't know it'd take all of Equestria with it!" She flopped entirely, her hooves going over her head. "I was so stupid..."

Saffron felt a smile coming on. Seeing Starlight suffering was a sweet little treat. Still... it wasn't time, not yet... She reached out and gently patted Starlight's shoulder. "That wasn't the only kingdom you pushed over."

Starlight looked up at Saffron with some confusion and she sat up. "Another? I mean... I ran a town as my virtual slaves to my ideology for who knows how many moons..." She sighed softly. "They forgave me, but do I forgive me? I'm really not sure. And here I am, unloading on you. I'm sorry." She hopped down to the ground. "I think I need to work these things out, Saffron. I'll try to be better company next time, alright?"

Saffron waved it casually away. "You don't have to feel sorry for talking to me, dear. I did ask about it." She leaned forward from the bench, seated on her haunches as she was. "You go collect yourself. We'll meet again."

She watched Starlight walk off stiffly, barely holding back her smile. She had so much more pain to bring to that mare. They were barely getting started.

Author's Note:

This story has been upgraded to weekly updates! Let's see where this goes at a better pace, typos included at no extra fee.

Want this story updated faster? Want to get your own story written? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!