• Published 15th Mar 2018
  • 1,193 Views, 121 Comments

Best Served Cold - David Silver



Starlight gets a new friend. She seems to hang off of every word Starlight has to say and isn't at all worried about her troubled past. She even likes kites! How could this get any better?

  • ...
6
 121
 1,193

9 - Just Mares

Saffron walked alongside the two ponies that claimed to be willing to accept her for what she was. It didn't make all that much sense to her. How did ponies even survive? How long before they woke up and tried to exact revenge? She had to test their loyalty... "So..."

They both looked towards her. Trixie flashed a bright smile. "You want to do something interesting?"

Saffron quirked an ear. "Well, that would be... interesting, but there remains a problem, dear. Afterall, what is a queen without subjects? Will you truly support me when, not if, I move to strike down that Thorax clod and take it all back?"

Starlight coughed into a hoof. "Let's put that off for the moment. Besides, you don't need them. They're the ones without you, not the other way around. You're awesome all by yourself."

Trixie huffed softly. "Minions are nothing but trouble, let me tell you. The first time I came to Ponyville, I had everything under control, until two sycophants just come along and ruin everything. They were trying to help me, pfft, as if they could. End result: My precious house, smashed, the town, rejoicing in my despair." She rolled a hoof as she told the story of her first time being chased out of Ponyville. "Then they got surprised when I came back for a little... comeuppance."

Saffron nudged Trixie softly. "Then you do understand. A little comeuppance, dear; that's what's called for, at the least. Preferably vicious..."

Starlight nervously laughed alongside her two morally questionable friends. "Let's not get too carried away. A little joke, perhaps? Something to remind him, but we shouldn't be aiming to destroy the new changeling way. They're growing."

"Growing weak, am I right?" Saffron held out a hoof.

Trixie met it with a loud clop, laughing. "I like her. Starlight, you shoulda introduced me ages ago. Why were you keeping a naughty mare away from me?" She regarded her new friend. "They're not all bad. They beat up this big monster... thing, Trixie saw it."

Saffron arched a brow. "Oh? They haven't completely forgotten how to battle? That's nice for them, not that I care." She brushed a hoof along her chest, her eyes wandering over the buildings they started to pass as they entered Ponyville proper. "You may have a point. They were holding me back. Maybe I've spent too long babying them. They should be sad to not have me around."

Starlight detected an opportunity and broke into a smile. "Exactly! You're super amazing just the way you are. And now, you can focus on being the best 'you'. You're not responsible for other people anymore."

"Hiya!" Pinkie sprouted from behind a rock like an especially rapid sprout. "Ooo, do I detect a new friendship circle? Can I join?" She bounced in place eagerly. "Can I Can I?"

Trixie looked Pinkie up and down. "You can... prepare a party to celebrate the induction of Saffron to our circle. Invite no one."

Pinkie looked excited at the first part, before the expression broke at the later part. "Wait, huh? Why?"

Trixie gestured to Starlight, then Saffron. "All the important ponies are already here."

Saffron grinned in solidarity with Trixie's words. "We suppose you could come, since you're providing the snacks."

Pinkie's grin returned. "Alrighty! I'm on the case." She vanished, leaving a pink outline that faded into smoke.

Saffron glanced aside at Trixie. "We're leaving, aren't we?"

"As if you had to ask." Trixie laughed as she continued ahead. "As if we need her silly party."

Starlight grimaced, teeth clenched as the two marched on. She hurried to catch up with them. "Wait! Pinkie's a nice pony. Why be mean to her?"

Trixie waved the objection away. "She's also very good at annoying people. She'll find us when she's ready, but I see no reason not to make it at least a little challenging in the meanwhile."

Saffron nodded in easy agreement. "Make her work for the privilege of hosting our party. Besides, I remember her... She was quite... violent."

"Starlight!" Twilight was descending on them with wide wings, divebombing towards them. "I'm so glad I found you!"

Starlight backed up a step to avoid being crashed into. "Twilight?"

Twilight hit the ground easily and trotted to close the distance to Starlight. "I figured out what was happening!"

Starlight tensed and Saffron raised a brow behind Twilight.

"It must have been a rogue changeling. It's the only reasonable explanation. I'm so sorry for my lapse of faith in you." She dipped her front towards the ground. "Forgive me?"

Starlight grabbed for Twilight, forcing her back upright. "That's enough of that! All forgiven! Yay! Did you tell Spike?"

Twilight rolled a hoof. "Just one thing. Was it you or them that was in the forbidden part of the library?"

Starlight went rigid.

Twilight tapped Starlight on the shoulder. "I thought as much. There are no answers in there that don't bring twice as many problems and you know it, Starlight. I'm sorry that I drove you to even considering anything in there. Please tell me you didn't cast any of those spells."

Starlight shook her head rapidly, then cleared her throat. "So!... Rogue changelings..." She could see Saffron glaring at her from behind Twilight, ready to be betrayed. "If I did find one, but they were actually pretty nice, would you forgive them, in the name of friendship?"

Twilight raised a hoof as if ready to speak, but nothing came out. The hoof lowered to the ground and began to tap as she frowned with heavy thought. "Well... last time that happened, we ended up with a new friend that I now cherish. I suppose... if you can forgive them for the trouble they caused you, I can too. Ultimately, they made your life a lot harder than mine, so I'd just look like a jerk if I was the one holding a grudge."

With a rush of green flames, Saffron grew large and black, her gleaming insectoid hide revealed for all to see and admire. Chrysalis was revealed, laughing in a wild cackle. Even as Twilight spun around and backed away fearfully, Chrysalis stepped forward at an easy pace. "Oh, how delightful. You both heard her. I am forgiven."

Twilight's ears pinned against her head. "W-what?! Chrysalis?!"

Trixie nudged Chrysalis with a less enthused expression. "You made her say it, but she won't mean it."

Chrysalis looked towards Trixie with a raised brow. "Hmm? Is she not a pony of her word?"

Trixie rolled a hoof. "She may be, and usually is, but she can keep a grudge." She pointed at Twilight. "She still hopes Starlight will get tired of Trixie, which she never will, because we are besties."

Twilight's ears turned back around, facing Trixie as she stood tall. "What?! I am perfectly capable of forgiving ponies for past mistakes."

Chrysalis grinned at Twilight, fangs displayed. "Then it is little matter to declare my past 'crimes' null and void."

"I could do it with a snap." She clopped her hooves together.

"Then it is done." Chrysalis nodded towards Twilight before turning to Starlight. "Perhaps you were right. All I had to do was ask."

Starlight laughed nervously, unsure if things were going well, or amazingly poorly. She glanced towards Twilight, who looked much the same as she felt. "Well! Congratulations, Chrysalis. I know I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. Welcome to Ponyville."

"Welcome to Ponyville!" echoed Pinkie, airdropping from the sky, a parachute fluttering in its effort to keep her adrift as she descended towards them. In her arms, balanced on her hooves, was a large cake. "It's party time!"

Twilight watched as her party friend landed with her cake. "Did... you know she was Chrysalis?"

Pinkie shrugged. "It wasn't obvious? I thought it was obvious."

Chrysalis poked Pinkie right in the chest. "Then why did you not reveal me?"

"What's the fun in that?" Pinkie shrugged softly. "It's always fun when you show up. I mean, sometimes creepy, but never boring." She pulled her cannon out of nowhere. "Now let's get ready to party!"

Twilight staggered to Starlight's side. "Please tell me I'm not the only pony that feels entirely out of control."

Starlight raised a hoof. "Count me in on that... Still... happy ending?"

"Happy ending," echoed Twilight without conviction. "How am I going to explain this to Princess Celestia? Or Thorax?!"

Starlight watched other ponies begin to emerge, drawn by the great boom of Pinkie's cannon and the many party favors and decorations it left behind in its wake. "Well... Didn't Thorax go through this? Just tell him it's time for him to pay it forward. We looked past his... issues, and we found a friend. We can at least try with Chrysalis, right?"

Chrysalis looked down at the big eyes and small body of a pony foal. It was one she knew. "We meet again, little... Apple Blossom?"

"Close," agreed Apple Bloom with a grin. "Huh, didn't think ah'd ever see you just... you know, standin' here like this."

Chrysalis cocked a brow at her. "Does it upset you?"

"Nah." Apple Bloom waved it away. "Pinkie wouldn't be throwin' no party if it was a bad thing. I always had a question though."

"Hmm?"

"What's it like, you know, havin' all those holes n' everythin' like that." Apple Bloom approached cautiously, reaching to examine one of Chrysalis' legs.

Chrysalis nudged her back easily with a snort. "What's it like not having all those holes?"

Apple Bloom shook her head quickly. "That's not a fair answer, the way I see it."

"Why not?"

"Yer a shapeshifter. You've had and not had holes, so you'd know the difference."

Chrysalis' face split in a slow and easy smile. "Clever little filly. Very well..."

Twilight watched the two converse. "This... could be going much worse, really."

Starlight nodded in agreement. "It was... something of a trip to get to this point, but we're here now, with a new friend." She suddenly clopped her forehead. "I have to go make up with Maud."

"About what?" asked a placid tone. Though she was not Pinkie Pie, she held all the power of being where she wanted to be, when she wanted to be. She was usually quiet about it, which only made it worse at times.

Starlight jumped with surprise, coming down facing Maud. "Maud!"

Maud nodded simply, as if answering a question.

"It's great to see you!" Starlight stepped forward cautiously. "Are you... mad at me?"

Maud tilted her head. "Why would I be? If you didn't want to mine, that's alright. I know it's not for everyone."

Starlight shook her head rapidly. "No! I'm sorry! There were changelings and things got confusing, but no, please, let's mine together, please?"

Maud's lips curled in the faint smile of overwhelming joy, at least as far as she could display such things. "Okay."

A new, male, voice chimed in, "Well I'm not happy yet."

Starlight turned to Spike. "I didn't eat them, I swear! Besides, how could I?"

Spike thrust a thumb at Chrysalis. "No, I got that. She did, and she owes me." He crossed his small arms with a petulant expression. "Where does she get off, eating a dragon's hoard?"

Twilight hiked a brow, glancing between Spike and Chrysalis. "I didn't even know they could do that, though I suppose there's nothing stopping them from getting the jaws of a dragon if they really wanted to..."

Trixie was starting a show, drawing some attention away from Chrysalis with her magic tricks, a reprieve that the changeling took advantage of, fading into the crowd and emerging from it in the form of a little pony, so she wouldn't be harassed. The ponies of Ponyville were friendly, perhaps overwhelmingly so. Their love was so delicious...

At least Trixie was looking out for her. Chrysalis smiled with her false face, feeling reinvigorated. Having a few friends could be helpful, especially when they understood her.

Author's Note:

Take 2! A gentler, more rounded handling of the dangling threads, yes? Bombard me with your thoughts.

Want to get your own story written? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

Comments ( 9 )

NEW CHAPTER YAY!! :yay:

:rainbowlaugh: all's well that ends well?

Huh, this was not a bad surprise at all! Also clever Apple Pony for pointing out the holes....in her logic! :yay:

BURN to Twilight! Trixie knows that Twilight holds grudges. Ha HA!

A good ending.

8984675

Managing to finish is its own accomplishment and should be valued?

8987414

I try not to have my comments deleted anymore.

Login or register to comment