• Published 1st Mar 2018
  • 355 Views, 0 Comments

The Blackheart Forest - Sabre_Cat



A choose your own adventure book! Play as Dark Ether, an intelligent mage obsessed with fame, big words, and a rare school of dark magic. Guide him on his quest to harvest the power of the Black Heart and become Equestria's most powerful sorcerer.

  • ...
 0
 355

The Black Book

There is no dust to be had on this cover. The corners are bent and the pages are yellow. This book sees plenty of use--opening and closing a dozen times a day. On the cover of that book is the void itself. The horror-like spatial bodies, shapes, and shadows of the ether--Etherium--a faraway realm of eternal darkness. “On Ethereal Magic” the title reads from it’s place at the top, “Written By: Shadowhoof”.

You pop it open to the first few pages. To the table of contents. The book is all too nostalgic, so a trip down memory lane is in order. You navigate through to the introduction and politely give it another audience in tribute.


“What is Ethereal Magic?”

A good question indeed, and one that only an open mind can accept. Welcome to the taboo world your magic professor never wanted you to be in. Enjoy yourself.

Ethereal magic is a form of dark magic channeled using energy from the realms of the ether. These quagmire voids settle on the name of Etherium, and they stretch infinitely beyond the petty reaches of the Sun and stars. It is a world where the impossible is possible. Where brightness is made into blackness.

Where reality is but a dream.

Most commonly, it is used for spells that summon creatures from different dimensions, manipulate the fabric of the universe, and alter reality at the user’s whim.

In the days of the past, ethereal mages were quite common. Their reality-bending skills were keystone to the creation of great nation states like the Crystal Empire and the modern Equestria. But as time passed, so too did favor for the wizards of the ether.

Often confused with the incantations of the black voodoo magic of Zebrica, the use of ethereal magic was deemed unholy and thus negligent. Ethereal mages everywhere either took on a new craft or went into hiding (sadly). While ethereal magic does indeed fall under the category of “dark magic” like the zebras’ voodoo, it is not evil nor forbidden (and neither is voodoo, for that matter).

Though the techniques are not lost, the practice is… unsavory... to most. In the times of today, many such unicorns who denounce ethereal spells are just as likely to unwittingly use them in their potions, chantings, and brews. It is thought to be forgotten, but in truth, it is used every day.


>Turn to the next page, “The Strengths and Weaknesses of Ethereal Magic”.
>Skip a few pages to “Common Ethereal Spells”.
>Search the table of contents for something new.