• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 1,848 Views, 41 Comments

saving private montage - Bookish Delight



Four high school girls experience the true horrors of war. Or something.

  • ...
3
 41
 1,848

You Only Live (ACTUAL NUMBER OF LIVES TO BE DETERMINED)

"Nooooooooooooo!"

A maudlin scream escaped Science Officer Twilight Sparkle's throat, as she witnessed General Shimmer sink to the linoleum tile. She fell to her knees beside her fallen superior officer—nay, her friend above all friends.

"General Shimmer, General Shimmer! Sunset!" she cried out to the ceiling.

Between sobs, Twilight pondered just how this could have happened. She could remember, like it was yesterday, meeting a plucky sergeant who instantly had taken a liking to her—and vice versa. Sunset had always worked hard and overachieved, and Twilight had always been there to support Sunset during moments of vulnerability. Together, they were unstoppable, and Sunset had risen through the ranks, faster than any officer before her.

But of course, there was no expecting the Monstar Army to care about that. To care about practicality or science. All they ever cared about were their precious movie fantasies and... and magic! No wonder the two had always been at war.

But even so, how could they be this heartless? Did they have no decency? No respect for human life? No love for staying dry, or for beautiful creatures such as—

Twilight closed a fist and stood up, righteous indignation swelling within her. Flames burned within her irises.

Fine then! If the Monstar Army wanted an angry R&D officer, then an angry R&D officer was what they were going to get!

She whirled to face Juniper and Starlight, who were already rounding the back of the house to re-enter through the back door. "You monsters!" she exclaimed, tracking them with her pillow cannon. "So help me, the second you get into my firing line, I'll pump you so full of feathers that you'll be able to pass for Scootaloo's aunts!"

"Well, uh, that doesn't exactly give us that much incentive to come inside, does it?" Starlight said with a laugh from outside the back door.

"Also, way to also give away your plan?" Juniper added. "I guess we'll just hide out here, behind these nice safe walls and door."

Twilight grunted. She was used to loudly proclaiming her scientific plans to the world—all this tactical espionage action was beyond her. "Darn it! I, uh—" She was stopped upon hearing a cough from below her. She gasped, and looked back down at Sunset, who moved just a little. "Oh my gosh! You're not gone yet!"

"No, but I'm getting there," Sunset said with another cough. "Don't think I have long. Maybe we should have invited Fluttershy after all. The Sunlight Army could use a medic right about now."

"Don't speak," Twilight said, cradling Sunset in her arms. "Save your strength. We'll get you back to high command, and you'll make it through this, I swear on all of the inventions I've ever made and are yet to come, you are not going to die on me tonight don't you die on me!"

Weakly, Sunset turned her head to face Twilight, holding her hand over the water spot on her shirt.

"Don't... don't make promises you can't keep, Officer," Sunset said amidst wheezes. "But, yeah, before I totally die out here in this totally swank kitchen, I want you to know two things."

"Anything," Twilight said, clasping Sunset's hands in hers. "Anything at all. What is it?"

"Well, the first is that you're the best science officer I've ever had serve under me. And..." Sunset blushed. "Maybe you were more than a science officer to me, too."

"The feeling is mutual," Twilight said, sniffling, and kissing Sunset on the forehead. "Totally mutual. What's the other thing?"

"Oh, the other thing is that I..." Sunset coughed. "Ordered..." Sunset coughed again. "This was going to be a surprise, but..."

"Less context, more point," Twilight urged.

"I... I ordered a mushroom and green peppers pie just for you," Sunset said. "It's in the bottom box."

Twilight gasped, feeling a huge swell of affection and joy for Sunset at that very moment. "You... you knew," she sniffled. "You heard me complaining at the last CHS pizza party..."

"I saw you picking all the toppings off pretty much everything, yeah," Sunset said. "When it comes to you, I... I pay..."

Sunset closed her eyes. Her arms went limp. Twilight let the hand she was holding drop, never to move again.

"Sun-seeeeeeeeeeeet!" Twilight cried, through the ceiling, up to whatever stars were above.

"Ohmigosh! Okay, that was awesome," she then heard a squealing voice saying, close by. She looked up to see Juniper pointing her camera at her. Starlight stood next to her, rolling her eyes.

"That was, like, the best death scene in the history of all of death! Scenes. Probably just death scenes," Juniper continued. "Either way, this is the prime stuff movies are made of!" She pointed the camera closer. "And speaking of prime, so's your profile. All this pizza war business aside, ever consider being on the silver screen?"

Twilight got up slowly, blushing towards Juniper and taking a step back. "You really think I could do it?"

"Well, of course! I mean, once we get all the rights taken care of and such. Technically two Twilight Sparkles exist, so we've got to draw up a contract to make sure all proceeds to go to the right one. And your director. Which would be me. But yeah, we could totally do it. If you're up for it."

A slanted smile crossed Twilight's lips, and she fingered her trigger. "I'll keep all of that in mind. You know, after this whole 'revenge' thing."

It took exactly one second for Juniper to gape, showing Twilight that she'd just realized she'd been had. It took one more second for Starlight to gasp herself and raise her Hyper Splasher.

Two seconds was far too late.

Twilight skipped to the side, firing a pillow—once more, in slow motion—in midair, across the length of the kitchen.

It hit Juniper square in the shoulder.