• Published 26th Apr 2018
  • 4,272 Views, 655 Comments

Pandemic: What you are Meant to Be - Halira



The ETS pandemic spreads across the southern United States transforming humans into ponies. In the wake of it a boy named Mathew tries to cope with the changing world and finding out what he is becoming.

  • ...
33
 655
 4,272

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: The Good Work

The two mares were far too worn out to want to do the flight back to the church in the morning, and there was no pressing reason to need to get back. They instead choose to stay for the day in their lovemaking spot beneath the oak and sleep.

Remedy stirred from her sleep that evening to light nibbling on her ear.

"Come on, Sweet Flanks, time to rise and shine. Or maybe it is rise and shade since we are out at night? Not sure, we need a better terminology for that," she heard Rosetta say playfully in her ear.

"Are we doing round two?" Remedy said as she opened an eye.

"I think we already did, along with rounds three, four, and five. You definitely got that tension out of me," Rosetta giggled.

"Did I do okay?" Remedy asked.

"You did great, and by round three you were definitely hitting all the right spots consistently. I take it you're feeling very comfortable with sex now if you are trying to tempt me into round six?" Rosetta said then gave Remedy a kiss.

"Definitely," Remedy sighed with contentment.

"Well, that's going to need to wait. We can't just go missing for a full day without a word to anypony or we'll worry you mother," Rosetta said with her own disappointed sigh.

"They can wait a little while longer," Remedy said.

"I love you, but sleep schedules don't love us. Get up, or I'm going to tickle that spot by the base of your tail," Rosetta said with mock sternness.

"That's blackmail," Remedy moaned and attempted to wrap her tail around the offending spot.

"Hey, that's what comes from rolling around with your marefriend. She finds out where all your spots are," Rosetta giggled. "I'm serious though, we need to get going. We'll catch up with everypony, get something to eat, and the rest of the night is ours."

"Food does sound good, I am hungrier than normal," Remedy said as she ran a foreleg over her stomach.

"You burned a lot of energy last night and didn't eat any food this morning, so of course you're hungry," Rosetta said as she nudged Remedy to stand.

Remedy noted the wording and blushed a bit. She brought herself to her hooves and gave a kiss to Rosetta.

"Alright, let's get going then. We can stop by the AV room, get those spices, and see what we can do about making hay more interesting," Remedy said as she spread her wings.

"I was going to bug you about this morning, but we got distracted," Rosetta grinned as she spread her wings in turn.

They took off into the air and in a few short minutes came back to the church grounds.

There was a fair amount of activity going on. Actually, there was a lot of activity going on.

There were ponies walking in from down the road, and there were far more pegasi in the air and on the grounds than had been living at the church. Most notably there were many humans at the shelter that definitely were not part of the government relief crews. Way more humans than ponies.

The two night ponies just hovered and stared at this silently for several seconds when they came in sight of it.

"Now that we're here I'm reconsidering what I said a few minutes ago. Do we really want to eat? I'm not sure I want to fly into whatever all this is," Rosetta said as she gestured with a foreleg at the regular circus of activity.

"We've got to unfortunately. Time to find out what the hell is going on," Remedy replied with trepidation. She then flew down into the center of the church grounds.

They came down and landed on top of one of the many trucks the the government workers had come in. The census guys were out working again, and the two ponies got a dirty look from the nearest one for their choice of landing spot, but weren't ordered away. They got an entirely different and unexpected response instead.

"Can you ponies please tell Sunset Blessing we need some of her unicorns to come give us a hand, hoof, horn, whatever? We are drowning in work here," the census worker called out to them.

"Um, okay," Remedy called out, completely baffled still about what was even going on.

"Looks like all the local humans are coming out off the woodwork. Sure are a lot of them. Way more than I expected," Rosetta said as she glanced around.

"They've all been pent up in their homes so it was kind of hard to tell," Remedy observed. "Where are we going to even find my mom in all this mess?"

"Why are we even looking for your mother to begin with would be a good question," Rosetta replied.

"Best guess is she's somehow responsible for all of this. Perhaps this is a continuation of the food drive?" Remedy asked rhetorically.

"There're so many ponies and humans here. Let's just find some pony or human that seems to be trying to direct this chaos and ask them," Rosetta said as she picked herself back up into the air.

It took them a few minutes of looking around, a surprising feat considering the church grounds only took up so much space, but they finally found Tonya in the mass of activity.

The pegasus had set herself up on top of a pickup truck and had other pegasi coming down to her, speak for a moment, and then depart again. She was definitely doing some sort of directing with them.

"Tonya!" Remedy shouted as she flew down toward her friend.

Tonya looked up and gave a tired smile and wave as yet another pegusus came down to her.

"Good to see you two. Give me two seconds and I can talk..maybe," Tonya said hurriedly. She then turned to the pegasus stallion that had just landed. "Is everything in order around the Wal-Mart?"

"Been making sure roads are clear, parking lots usable, and checked around inside three more times to make sure there were no more squatters. The police haven't gotten there yet though," the stallion replied.

"Well, you'll have to just camp out there until they do show up. That place has got food that the humans need. Some people from their corporation should be here tomorrow to see what can be donated and start getting a timetable on when to get it open. We can't have the place getting looted any more till then. Sorry about that, but just the way it is," Tonya told the stallion.

"Yes ma'am," the stallion replied. He didn't look too thrilled with the idea of camping out at the Wal Mart, but he flew away without complaint.

"Okay, you two. Am I supposed to be giving you orders about something?" Tonya asked them with obvious exhaustion in her voice.

"No, not as far as we know anyway. We just got back. What is going on and where the heck is my mom?" Remedy asked bewilderly.

"Oh, makes sense I guess. Sorry really tired, not thinking straight," Tonya said with a yawn. "I've been at this all freaking day. What's going on? Let's see; food drive, census of the humans, trying to see what we can do to help them get going again, dealing with like a hundred shelters of all sizes, dealing with all the ponies that were held up in their houses just like the humans were. It's a clusterfucken cockamanny cookoo house. Somehow we ate getting it all done though. Gonna sleep a week after this is all done."

"Okay, so where is my mom in all this?" Remedy asked again.

"Oh, right, you asked that. Sorry, tired. As soon as the last few pegasi report in I am calling it for tonight," Tonya said with another yawn. "Anyway, Blessing went into the school a little while ago with the suits."

"What?!" Remedy shouted.

"Oh, pretty sure it ain't bad. Think they were all impressed she was getting so much done so quickly. This whole thing is her doing after all. I'm not mad at her, just tired," Tonya said sleepily.

"We'll leave you to finish up your..stuff you're doing then. Thanks, Tonya," Rosetta said to her.

"They took my mom into their building," Remedy fretted.

"Don't worry. They can't do anything to her. If all this is happening because of her then there would be a riot if the touched one hair on her tail. She's protected by her own popularity," Rosetta assured her.

"I suppose so," Remedy said slowly. "But they were already convinced she was some new Sunset Shimmer in the making or something. And they were worried about what kind of influence she might be gaining. I can't imagine they are going to just let this all go without trying to intimidate her at least."

"We just need to go see her. Come on," Rosetta said as she took off to the church's school. Remedy followed close on her tail.

They found their way blocked again by a collection of guards when they arrived.

"Any chance we can get inside? My mom is in there," Remedy asked them.

"Your mother is Sunset Blessing?" One of the guards said skeptically.

"Yes, my mom is Sunset Blessing. Why is that a surprise this time around?" Remedy said with frustration.

"Well, she's a unicorn, and you're a night pony," the guard explained, as if that made a lick of sense.

"It doesn't matter what type of pony she is and I am. We have lots of parents with foals of different types than them. ETS didn't really seem to care about matching types between families. Can I see my mom?" Remedy asked evenly.

"She'll be out sooner or later, you'll just have to wait till then. The big wig for the whole region is in their with her," the soldier explained.

"Wonderful," Remedy muttered as she glared up at the building.

So they sat and waited. Time passed by and pony activity around the church seemed to slow down, and eventually there were a large host of ponies together at the haystack getting well deserved food. The census of the humans continued on though. The census workers and the humans waiting in line were getting visibly frustrated with the amount of time it was taking, but it didn't seem any of them were losing their cools, yet.

After the sun had completely set, and most of the ponies had finished eating the door finally opened to reveal a very tired looking Sunset Blessing walking out.

"Mom! Are you okay?" Remedy said quickly as her mother exited the building.

"I'm fine, why wouldn't I be? A little tired, it has been a long day, but a productive one," Blessing said with a sleepy smile.

"What did they want with you?" Rosetta asked.

"They are going to be bringing in some humans from some small towns on and off over the next few days. Going to ask me to sit and talk to them. They actually want you two to talk to them too, and a few other ponies," Blessing explained.

"Talk to them about what? Why are they going to be here?" Remedy asked.

"They want to get to know about ponies, and what we can do; get a feel for what it is like dealing with us. Most times towns ETS all but skipped over aside from maybe one or two infections. All small places, very rural without a lot of contact with bigger places," Blessing said.

"And why are these places interested in ponies? Why is the government asking us to talk to them to begin with?" Remedy asked.

"Most of us want our own place. These little towns are all dying out. Their foals move away to places that have better opportunities, their older populations are getting too old, so few foals in the towns they can't even have their own schools anymore. They're desperate for a chance to revitalize their towns and get population in before they just vanish altogether. Most of us want somewhere to go, it is a perfect match," Blessing said as she stifled a yawn.

"And why were they asking you in particular to talk to them? They've been suspicious of you since they got here," Remedy asked.

"I am no threat to anypony or the government. They're impressed with how much I accomplished today, and want me to help convince ponies that this exodus is a good thing; which it is," Blessing explained.

The unicorn let out a big yawn and looked towards the haystacks.

"I'm going to eat and turn in for the night. Wish I could talk more, but tomorrow is going to be a long day too. More organizing ponies, more talking with humans. The Lord's work is never done," Blessing said as she left towards the haystack.

Remedy and Rosetta just looked at one another, unsure how to feel about any of this.

Author's Note:

Friday evening day 3 after counterspell

PreviousChapters Next