• Published 26th Apr 2018
  • 4,271 Views, 655 Comments

Pandemic: What you are Meant to Be - Halira



The ETS pandemic spreads across the southern United States transforming humans into ponies. In the wake of it a boy named Mathew tries to cope with the changing world and finding out what he is becoming.

  • ...
33
 655
 4,271

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38: Commitment

Remedy opened her eyes to see the concerned face of Rosetta looking down at her. She gave a brief yawn and stretch; it had been a long day.

"Did you really enter my dreams last night or was that a figment of my imagination?" Rosetta asked.

"Yes I did. You said you weren't upset with me about it, is that true?" Remedy asked.

Rosetta came over and laid back down to cuddle close with Remedy.

"No, I'm not upset. It's what you're supposed to be learning to do. But we need to talk about what you saw," Rosetta said in a serious tone.

"So do you really think you're pregnant?" Remedy asked, cutting to the chase.

Rosetta laid her head down across Remedy's forelegs and lowered her ears.

"I really don't know. I know I felt convinced for sure when I was dreaming, but not as certain awake. I've been feeling funny the last day or two and the thought has been on my mind," Rosetta said.

"And do you really think I would leave you if you were?" Remedy asked.

"No, I know that is just anxieties speaking. It's just scary thinking I might be. It wasn't ever anything I planned on happening. I never wanted foals. I'd even considered getting my ovaries removed before ETS started, because I just really didn't want foals," Rosetta said in a somber tone.

"That much against it? Why?" Remedy asked curiously.

"Mix of reasons; figured I'd be a horrible mother, John was rough with me and figured he would be rough with any foal, thought it would get in the way of school plans, but mainly just never had a desire for it," Rosetta explained as she stared ahead at nothing with her head resting still on Remedy's legs.

"And if you end up being actually pregnant?" Remedy asked.

"I don't know. I have no idea how to feel. It's one thing to say you never want something to happen and another to figure out what to do if it actually does. I won't abort, not even sure if that is an option, but won't do that regardless," Rosetta said as she kept laying there.

"Luna said it's a high likelihood that a foal will be a night pony if both the parents are, but said there's a small chance it might not be," Remedy explained.

"How small a chance?" Rosetta asked.

"About one in ten if we follow the same patterns as the Equestrians," Remedy answered.

"I think I can say that if I'm pregnant, and it turns out to be anything other than a night pony, that giving the foal up to be adopted by some other mare is the best option," Rosetta said with a sigh. "I really don't see me being able to properly raise a foal of any other type. It's questionable enough if I can properly raise a night pony."

"Well, you aren't in this alone. I'm not going anywhere. If you're raising a foal then I'm raising a foal right along side you," Remedy reminded her.

Rosetta lifted her head up and looked Remedy in the eye.

"Do you want to? Help raise a foal, that is? You didn't sign up for a foal when you said you want to be with me," Rosetta asked.

"I don't know how to feel about raising a foal either, but we're in it together no matter what. If you're raising a foal I'm going to be right there raising the foal with you," Remedy assured her as she stroked Rosetta's mane with a wing.

"It feels better hearing that, at least a little," Rosetta said in a relieved tone. Then she sighed. "I guess that I should be seeing the doctor again like she asked. See if I'm getting myself worked up over nothing."

"We can go take care of that now, sun isn't setting for another hour. They might see you now," Remedy suggested.

"We told Baker we would go take care of talking to Tattered and we're going to see my family again right after," Rosetta reminded her.

"Actually, I already took care of telling Tattered Wing about Baker wanting to meet with her, and she accepted the offer," Remedy said with a smile.

"When? Wait...you went into Tattered Wing's dreams too? How many dreams did you go into last night with Luna?" Rosetta said as she picked her head up and looked at Remedy.

"Lost count of how many. They were all nightmares of one sort or another. You and Tattered Wing are the only ones I actually talked to the ponies in, most I just watched," Remedy explained.

"I'm glad I'm not doing that. I can only imagine what dreams like Tattered Wing's are like," Rosetta shivered.

"Exactly what you think. I didn't want to see that, but Luna insisted. Luna brought an end to that dream herself actually. She couldn't even stand to watch that play out," Remedy said with a matching shiver.

"It was probably just re-traumatizing Tattered again if she was reliving what happened. Banishing the nightmare was likely the best course of action," Rosetta said thoughtfully.

"Anyway, I need to let Baker know that Tattered has agreed to meet with him and listen to what he has to say. While I'm doing that you can be seeing the doctor," Remedy said as she nudged Rosetta back into a standing position.

"I suppose so, then we can get something to eat and head over to see my family early enough that Cathy isn't going to be struggling to stay awake," Rosetta said hesitantly.

Remedy rose to her hooves and put a wing tip under Rosetta's chin.

"No matter what the doctor says tonight me and your whole family are going to be here for you," Remedy assured her, and then leaned over and kissed her.

"You are family, but I get what you're saying and appreciate it," Rosetta said as she gave a kiss of her own in return.

"Let's head back and get it done then," Remedy said as she spread her wings with Rosetta following her example.

It was a short silent flight back to the church. There were plenty of pegasi flying about the area too, though they didn't come close enough to be able to greet any of them.

When they arrived back at the church they saw that the haystacks had been refilled sometime over the course of the day and a new truck was parked on the grounds that the hay had likely arrived in. There were a few extra humans that were being censused as well that were likely stragglers from coming out the days before, as well as a few ponies.

One standing in line to be counted in the census caught Remedy's eye, her dad.

Rosetta followed Remedy's gaze and gave her marefriend a sympathetic look.

"Do you want to stop and talk to him?" Rosetta asked.

Remedy shook her head.

"Maybe in a few minutes. I don't figure he'll be gone by the time I'm done talking to Baker. More wondering if he ran into my mom or is going to run into my mom," Remedy said as she glanced around for her mom.

"Let's get to doing what we need to do. If I am not waiting for you when your done with Baker I'll find you on my own, as long as you stay around here. Do what you need to do," Rosetta instructed.

Remedy nodded agreement as they pulled out of their hover and flew down to the school.

"What can we help you gals with today," the soldier on duty said as they approached. Remedy was pretty sure he had been on duty at least once previously when they tried to gain entrance. All three of the current guards looked familiar.

"I have news for Director Baker that he'll want right away," Remedy said.

"And I need to see a doctor if they're still seeing patients," Rosetta said in a brave tone.

"We'll let the director know you are here miss Phobia, your requests have been listed as priority requests to see to, and will see if there is a doctor for you as well ma'am," the guard said as he nodded to one of the others. The guard that was nodded to went inside the school promptly.

"My requests are a priority? Since when?" Remedy asked in confusion.

"Since the director said so. Note that we only prioritize letting someone know you are making a request. No promises that they will be acted on," the soldier explained.

"Understood," Remedy said with a nod of her head.

The guard that had gone inside quickly returned a minute later.

"Director Baker is in the principal's office with Sunset Blessing and Number Crunch. He will says that he will see you right away," the guard said to Remedy. He then turned to Rosetta. "Second classroom on the left, doctor Muller will be there shortly."

The two night ponies nodded and went in as the guard held open the door for them. They paused briefly in front of the room that Rosetta was going to be seen in.

"Hopefully they heard how to do a pregnancy test by now," Rosetta said as she eyed the room warily.

"They've been getting information for days now, it can't be that hard to check. Don't get yourself too stressed about it before it happens. It could be nothing," Remedy said.

"We'll see," Rosetta said uncertainly.

Remedy gave her a kiss and a hug. Rosetta gave a small smile in return.

"See you in a little bit, love you," Rosetta said as she turned to walk to into the room.

"Love you too," Remedy replied.

Remedy watched as Rosetta fully went into the room and then sighed. She took the long walk then down the hall to the clearly marked principal's office.

She lifted a hoof and knocked on the door and a moment later the handle lit up with her mom's familiar red aura if magic and turned, letting Remedy in.

Inside director Baker was seated at the desk flipping through reports on a laptop. In the corner was the unicorn mare with the abacus cutie mark, flipping through a large amount of papers with her magic. Blessing was sitting in a chair opposite Baker with Remedy's laptop open in front of her. They all looked up at her as she entered.

"What can I help you with, Phobia?" Baker asked as her mom shut the door with her magic.

"Wanted to let you know that Tattered Wing will meet with you whenever you arrive, though I recommend doing the trip at night so she's up and alert," Remedy informed him.

"Really? I hadn't expected word back from you on that till morning. You did that much quicker than I anticipated," Baker said with surprise.

"I had an unexpected encounter with her last night, it is a night pony thing that led to it," Remedy explained.

"Care to explain that a little better?" Baker asked.

"I was in her nightmare last night kind of by accident. It's night pony magic. I am just learning how to do it and my teacher was taking me to random nightmares," Remedy explained further, unsure if she should be saying anything about this. Being honest with the humans would help build trust though.

"Who is your teacher that has already mastered this enough to be teaching you?" Blessing asked.

"Princess Luna of Equestria, she thinks I am a natural fit for helping ponies understand their nightmares. Distance doesn't seem to make any difference to her. I told her about the situation in Charleston too, and she said she would look into ways to help. Tattered seemed really impressed by her," Remedy answered, hoping she didn't sound crazy.

"I've been briefed about this Princess Luna and been given a brief description of her capabilities. What you say does line up with what I was told. You'll have to forgive me that a foreign power being in contact with you unauthorized is something that I have to be cautious about, and report on," Baker said thoughtfully.

"I understand your position. I'm doing my best to be open and honest about it," Remedy said with a slight bow of her head.

"Ponies are honest," the unicorn in the corner, Number Crunch, recited.

"Is there anything else I should be informed of?" Baker asked after a brief glance at Number Crunch.

Remedy thought for a moment just to make sure she wasn't forgetting anything.

"Luna promised to try to get Equestrian doctors out here to look at the Broken Ones. She was pretty sure that Tattered could be healed even though Tattered was under the impression her injuries were too severe from the doctors here. The fact Luna said she was going to try to heal Tattered made Tattered very agreeable with whatever Luna wanted, and Luna advised her to meet with you and try to find more peaceful ways of dealing with things," Remedy said after a moment.

"I see...anything else?" Baker asked.

"Luna said she was concerned about their behavior as well. She explained night ponies in her world wouldn't normally bear the full brunt of trying to protect at night and against many simply acted as scouts to alert others who would do the subduing. She said she'd consult around and see what could be done to address the night ponies in Charleston's concerns," Remedy finished.

"Thank you again for all you do for us, Phobia. This is all very helpful. Please keep me abreast on your training with Luna. My superiors would be very much interested in knowing the ins and outs of night pony dreamwalking before it becomes a common phenomenon," Baker said.

It was unspoken that the idea a pony could get into another's dreams was something else that might scare humans. The government knowing everything about what a night pony could and could not do before that information broke could help keep calm.

"I'll be going then. Rosetta is seeing the doctor again right now and there are a few other things I need to take care of," Remedy said as she made to leave.

"Why is she seeing the doctor again so soon?" Blessing said as her ears perked up effect.

"She may or may not be pregnant. We don't know, and she is finding out," Remedy said, feeling uncomfortable saying anything about it.

"I see...," Blessing said slowly. "We'll talk about that later after you've heard an answer."

Remedy wondered what was going on in her mom's head now. If there was going to be a foal and Remedy was going to help raise it that kind of made Remedy a stepmother, which would make her mother a grandmare.

Remedy made her last goodbyes and exited out of the room.

Rosetta wasn't waiting for her outside in the hall, which meant she was likely either still waiting to be examined or in the process. Remedy went up to the door and listened for a moment.

"I am going to take a little blood sample and also have you pee in this container if you can manage it. I'll step outside the door if you prefer some privacy while you do that," she heard doctor Muller saying.

Apparently they now had some idea how to test for pregnancy. This seemed like it might still take a little while though so there wasn't much point in sticking around. Remedy briefly considered joining her marefriend as a show of support, but decided against it in the end. Rosetta expected her to go take care of things with her dad while she was doing this.

She exited out the building and jumped into a hover so she could get a good look around for her dad. She found him quickly. He was standing by the haystacks looking at them in clear distaste.

She came in for a landing next to him causing him to jump as she startled him.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. Wasn't ever expecting to see you here again," Remedy said.

"Food's pretty much out, had to come or starve," her dad said as he glared at the haystack again.

"It tastes as bland as it looks," Remedy said with an apologetic smile.

"It's food for livestock," her dad said with contempt.

"It works for us, even if it isn't that appealing. It's better than starving," Remedy said with a shrug.

"Another reason to want to be done with this pony business," her dad grumbled.

"How's that holding up for you?" Remedy asked. There was nothing confrontational about it. She was genuinely curious.

"About the same, thankfully no cutie mark still," her dad said, still not touching the hay. He looked at her. "How are you doing? Your friend still treating you right? You getting enough sleep?"

"Rosetta's been nothing but great. We're in love," Remedy replied.

"A little quick for knowing that don't you think?" Her dad asked with a raised eyebrow.

"It is quick, but I think it is legitimate. Also, there's a chance Rosetta is pregnant," Remedy answered.

"Hate to break this to you, but two women can't produce a baby, that ain't yours if there is one. Not unless you were doing some screwing around with her before ETS behind everyone's backs," her dad said scornfully.

"She had a stallionfriend before. He was abusive to her and she left him," Remedy said with lowered ears.

"Abusive how?" Her dad asked as he tensed up.

"Hit her, degraded her, just about everything you could think of," Remedy replied with flattened ears.

"A real man shouldn't hit a woman. Good for her for getting out of that," her father growled.

"Thank you for saying that. You're a good...man, Dad," Remedy said as she hugged her dad.

Her dad didn't seem to know what to do about her sudden show of affection, but did eventually give her a light pat on the back as she hugged him.

"I try to be," her dad said sadly.

Author's Note:

Sunday evening day 5 after counterspell.

PreviousChapters Next