• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 3,327 Views, 100 Comments

Melody for my Dear - FerociousCreation



After a rescue from Big Macintosh, Fluttershy forms emotions for him; however things get in the way

  • ...
13
 100
 3,327

Request from a Guest

Melody for my Dear
Ch 14

Staring down at her food, Fluttershy was as quiet as ever. She thought about how her day went; Big Macintosh arrived to her home, they went to the market as he and she talked for a good amount of time, said hello and goodbye to Applejack, and now here she is, eating with Big Macintosh all alone.

I think I know why I am scared, but... I feel afraid of telling him...

“Are ya gonna tell me?” A voice broke Fluttershy's concentration as Big Macintosh looked at her with a concerned look on his face.

Somehow, his expression got her to speak. “I... it's fine...”

“Ya sure?”

“Yeah... it's nothing to worry about.”

But what happened next caused Fluttershy to freeze. The stallion got up from his seat and walked around the table toward the yellow pegasus. HE IS WALKING TOWARD ME! IS HE ANGRY?! DID I LEAVE A HAIR IN HIS FOOD THIS TIME!? WHAT DO I DO?!

Big Macintosh began to get closer toward her. He saw a terrified look on her face and wondered, Why does she look so scared? Somethin' I do wrong? Regardless of what he saw, he still approached Fluttershy. Then without realizing it, he was very close to Fluttershy; his face was about one foot away from hers.

Fluttershy didn't know what to do. She couldn't move, shiver, or speak. Being still was the only action the mare could only accomplish.

Then the stallion spoke. “Whatever yer thinkin' about...” Big Macintosh paused for a moment. Something caught his voice for a few seconds, but he managed to continue. “Whatever is goin' through your mind, ah will be here to help.”

Without hesitating, Fluttershy replied, “You will?” The mare felt her eyes glass up as if her eyelids were being melted from a frozen position.

A warm, but small smile rose from Big Macintosh's face and said, “Eeyup.”

Like a magnet, Fluttershy moved from her stationary stillness and found herself wrapping her arms around Big Macintosh's neck. She don't know what compelled herself to move toward Big Macintosh in such a way, but was relieved to know that Big Macintosh was there to help. The mare thought in her mind that what she was doing was okay. After all, she has hugged her friends when she was relieved of stress, so Fluttershy felt no need to worry.

The mare couldn't see Big Macintosh's face, but she then heard him say, “You don't have to tell me what yer thinkin' now. Ah am jus' lettin' you know that yer friend is here to help.”

Friend, Fluttershy thought. Her face burned with a pink so brightly, it would make a lovely rose look nothing more than a simple plant. At least he can't see my face, Fluttershy said in her mind as she was lost in the warmth of her friend.

It felt nice in Big Macintosh's heart to help out a friend. Usually he helps out Applejack or Applebloom when the two of them get into a bit of a scuffle, but this felt different and the stallion enjoyed it.

But just as he thought nothing could ruin this moment, it did. In his peripheral, he saw Angel roll his eyes in boredom. It grabbed Big Macintosh's attention and he glared at the little rabbit. What's yer deal? Angel grinned and grabbed the stallion's salad, pulling it toward him. What the rabbit did next stunned the stallion. The rabbit then took the cranberry sauce and applied it to the salad. What in the world!? Are you... helping me with ma salad?

Both ponies broke their embrace and were now looking at the rabbit. “Angel, is that Big Macintosh's salad?” With a nod, Angel replied and smiled. “Aww, how sweet! That's nice of you to help your friend, right Big Macintosh?”

“Y... yeah.”

“So, umm...” Fluttershy softly as she looked at Big Macintosh. “Thank you.” The pegasus' pink hair shielded an eye as she turned her head. Despite feeling embarrassed, Fluttershy found herself smiling.

Big Macintosh reached an arm around her and gave a quick hug before walking back to his seat. As he sat down, Angel pushed the stallion's now finished salad bowl in front of Big Macintosh. On the other side of the table, Fluttershy resumed eating with a happy look on her face. Big Macintosh looked down at his food, surprised on how tasty looked. The cranberry was spread around the top of the leafy greens in a swirled manner and underneath the leaves where chunks of the various fruits Fluttershy had prepared.

Nothing looked out of the ordinary. It looked appetizing and was very well made. Big Macintosh looked down at the rabbit and saw him eating his own salad. I guess its alright to eat it...

Picking up the utensils, the stallion began to mix his prepared salad. He then scooped a good portion of leaves and fruit onto his fork. Big Macintosh hesitated as he slowly drew the food to his mouth. Doesn't look bad...

Because the stallion was moving so slowly, Fluttershy asked, “Umm, is something wrong with the salad?”

Ah just need to eat it now if I don't want her to worry anymore. Without hesitating, Big Macintosh shoved the fork in his mouth. And to his surprise, it tasted strange. This... this is... AMAZING! “Mmm's” were heard from Big Macintosh as he began to shovel the salad in his mouth. The combination of the cranberry sauce, leaves, and sliced fruit made for a tasty contrast.

“I am glad you are enjoying your salad,” Fluttershy smiled as she watched her friend eat.

“Mmmhmm!” Big Macintosh couldn't disagree with the mare. It was the most delicious food he has eaten in a long time. When he was at the hospital, all they had was the same thing: beans, rice, celery, carrots, and grapes. Nothing alternated, so the consistent menu items drove him crazy.

“Oh!” Fluttershy spoke aloud.

Her outburst grabbed Big Macintosh's attention as a leaf dangled out of his mouth. “Hmm?” he hummed.

“Well umm... I thought... never mind.” Big Macintosh cocked his head and raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Can I see your bowl?”

“Eeyup.” Is something wrong with it, or does she want a taste of my salad? He didn't make much thought of it, so he did as he was told. As Fluttershy took a glance into the bowl, Big Macintosh looked down at Angel. The rabbit looked like he was trying to hold back a laugh. Have some funny thought?

“You said you were enjoying your salad, right?” Fluttershy asked her friend.

“Eeyup.”

Poking something in the bowl with a fork, Fluttershy pulled out a piece of diced fruit. “I thought you hated pears.”

Dread and shock fell upon Big Macintosh's face. He looked down at Angel, holding his paws over his mouth, trying ever so hard not to burst out in laughter. YOU LITTLE RAT! NO WONDER YOU “HELPED” MAKING MY SALAD!

“Is something wrong?” Once more, Fluttershy felt a wave of fear rush over her. There it is again, I feel scared again... Why?

“I just umm... wanted to try something new.” Big Macintosh knew he lied and Fluttershy was not buying it.

“I thought Angel made your salad.” The pegasus' worried expression turned into a bit of an angry look. “Angel...” Whatever joy the rabbit had a few moments ago was gone. He looked a bit scared, but more guilty. “Did you put pears in Big Mac's salad on purpose?” Even though he was cornered, Angel shrugged with a stupid grin on his face. “Did you?” It didn't take long before the rabbit's smile went away.

Looking for a solution, he looked up at Big Macintosh. What do you want me to do? You put yourself in this situation. Then fear fell upon Angel's face. The rabbit knew what he was in for and didn't want to be stared down by his owner. Folding his paws, Angel pleaded for help as if he was atoning for some horrible sin. His eyes were glassed up with innocence and guilt. Fine, I will help you...

“Well! Are you going to answer me?” Angel flinched when Fluttershy spoke. Keeping his eyes shut, he turned his head toward his owner.

“Ah can answer for him.” Big Macintosh finally said something.

“Oh?” Fluttershy looked confused. “What do you mean 'answer for him'”?

“Umm, well...”

Angel sat in relief that the weight was off his shoulders as he looked up at the stallion. You better be thankful for this, Big Macintosh thought to himself.

“See the thing is...” The stallion had to think of what to say, but it did not take long for him to come up with an answer. “Ah, umm... told Angel to surprise me with a salad. Ya know how when you go to them fancy restaurants, and they say somethin' like... umm, 'How would you like your... food?' You can then say, 'surprise me' and they go and... well, surprise you.”

“When did you tell Angel this?”

“When you umm... got the last bowl of fruit.”

“Well...” Fluttershy paused for a moment and then smiled brightly. “Well that was very nice of you Angel.”

“It was very nice of him.” Big Macintosh then suddenly scooped Angel up into his arms and held him close. “Ah am just grateful to have a nice friend.” As he held the rabbit, he began to give his friend a bone crushing hug. Jus' because ah saved your white behind does not mean you are gettin' off easy. Fluttershy giggled with a smile as she saw her two friends being “friendly.” Unfortunetally for Angel, he was squerming for freedom as he was being crushed. Feeling like the rabbit had had enough, Big Macintosh let the rabbit go and Angel fell flat on his back, but relieved that he was relieved.

“So glad you two are getting along,” Fluttershy spoke as Big Macintosh finished “hugging” his friend.

“Eeyu-” Big Macintosh was about to reply when he turned his head toward the window. “SHOOT!”

“What? What is it?”

“Ah... have to go.”

“How come?”

He pointed to the sun.

“Oh, is it getting to late?”

“Eeyup.”

“And you want to make sure you get home early so you don't worry your sisters, right?”

“Eeyup.”

“Okay...” Disappointed, Fluttershy turned her head and her hair shielded an eye from Big Macintosh.

Come on, Fluttershy! Don't go and try to make me feel bad. No! Ah have to go. I can't feel bad for you right now, even if it hurts.

As if she was reading his mind, Fluttershy turned and said, “You can go. Don't worry about me, okay?” When she was finished with her sentence, the mare slowly turned her head toward Big Macintosh as he saw a part of her sad eye.

Okay, now ah feel bad. Stop doin' this to me! Looking outside, Big Macintosh noticed the sun was beginning to go down. Breaking his thought, he said, “Ah am sorry, but I gotta go.”

“Okay...”

Big Macintosh got up from his seat and avoided stepping on Angel, who was still lying on the floor. Ah think ah over did it to the little guy. But he ignored the rabbit and headed toward the door. Big Macintosh turned his head to say goodbye, when he noticed Fluttershy was standing right behind him. “Is somethin' wrong?”

“I... just wanted to say goodbye...” Once more, Fluttershy felt a wave of adrenalin shiver over her entire body and a fearful expression fell on her face.

Again, there you go lookin' all scared. Why? Big Macintosh tried to think of a reason why she looked so frightened, but found nothing. Ah don't know why she is so scared, but... Ah now what ah can do to thank her.

Fluttershy was lost in thought, when she felt Big Macintosh's shadow tower over her. She then had a more terrified look on her face when the stallion approached her.

“Umm... Fluttershy?”

“Hmm?”

“C... can ah ask you somethin'?”

***

“Alright Big Macintosh, have a safe run home!”

“Eeyup.” As they both waved goodbye, Big Macintosh took off in a sprint and disappeared as he rounded the trail bend.

Fluttershy stood at the entrance of her home alone, smiling. Standing next to her was Angel, rubbing his back because his “friend” decided to give him a hug.

“Let's go back inside Angel.” And with that, Fluttershy closed the door.

As the wooden door was shut, Fluttershy slumped down on to her rump looking down. Angel looked up to see what was wrong. However, when he saw Fluttershy's face, it didn't look like anything was wrong. The yellow mare's face was flushed with pink and her eyes looked droopy. “That was a very nice thing Big Macintosh did for me, huh Angel.” The rabbit shrugged because he could care less about Big Macintosh and what he did for Fluttershy.

Angel looked at the table that was full of empty bowls and some crumbs that were on the ground. But then something caught his attention. In his right peripheral, he saw Scootaloo, who was looking through the window. Dashing to the door, Angel kicked it open and turned to where he saw the filly. Scootaloo looked terrified as the rabbit leered at her.

“Angel!” A voice came from behind. “You know you can't go outside at night and I know you don't want Owlishous to get you. She might mistake you for a mouse.” Fluttershy reached an arm out and scooped Angel back into the cottage as the rabbit squirmed to be free.

Another slam came from the door as it closed. Hiding back in the shadows, Scootaloo wiped the sweat off her forehead. “That was close,” the filly wispered to herself. She then took a deep breath and sighed in relief. “Alright, what do I have here?” Looking at her notes, Scootaloo smiled at her accomplishment. During the entire time Big Macintosh and Fluttershy were having their dinner, Scootaloo wrote down everything she saw and heard. Some of the notes were: Fluttershy gives a lot of hospitality, Big Macintosh likes to hug Fluttershy, and Fluttershy sometimes gets really really scared around Big Macintosh. Am I missing anything else?

Looking up to the sky, Scootaloo saw that a dark blue vale was being cast over the sky and white lights began to spot the sky. It's getting late. I think I have enough notes anyways, so I guess it is safe-

Scootaloo's thoughts were interupted when she heard Fluttershy from the inside. “I... know I shouldn't do this but... I need to talk to him.” The filly once again peered through the window to see who Fluttershy was talking to. The yellow mare was sitting at the table, writing on a sheet of paper. “I hope he doesn't mind...” Fluttershy then folded the paper and put it into an envelope. As soon as the pegasus sealed the envelope, it began levitating and then disappeared in a puff of smoke.

What was that? Scootaloo thought while she continued to look through the glass. Within a matter of seconds, another puff of smoke spontaneously poofed in the air as a letter drifted back down onto the table.

Fluttershy picked up the letter and opened it immediately. As she unfolded the letter, it said, “Just a moment...”

As Fluttershy was waiting for something, Angel sat on the rug that rested in the middle of the living room. He had one of the salad bowls that was halfway filled with carrot slices and the rabbit was chewing on them, one by one.

Suddenly, a huge red box with a purple ribbon magically appeared above Angel and fell on top of him. Fluttershy shrieked as the box made a loud thump on the ground. She looked confused, but Fluttershy knew who it was. The box then coughed out a piece of paper and it drifted toward Fluttershy. When it landed in front of the pegasus, it had words on it. At the top, it said, “Read the following out loud.”

Deciding to do what the paper told her to do, Fluttershy spoke as she read, “And now, put your hooves together for the Master of Chaos and Comedy, please welcome, Discord.”

As soon as Fluttershy finished her sentence, the lid on the box popped off and lights glared out of the present. Jazz music was playing and an audience was cheering somehow, but instruments, nor an audience were to be found. The sudden excitement caused some of the birds to fly out of their homes and some rodents ran into a rat hole and closed the door behind them.

Then a voice came out of the box. “Ahaha, thank you, thank you. It's such an honor to be here in PonyVille.” A figure rose from inside the box as the person from inside continued speaking. “And I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my friend, Fluttershy.” Suddenly, a random spotlight fell onto Fluttershy and she crouched down in fear. With a change of tone, the voice said, “Oh don't look so frightened Fluttershy, this is just an act.”

“An act for what?”

“My comedy skit of course.” With a snap of the figure's fingers, everything suddenly stopped. The lights were gone, the sound seized to exist, and the one who caused all of the excitement was now visible.

“That was quite an entry Discord.” Fluttershy got back upright and looked at her friend.

“I know, and I think I nailed it this time!” The large snake shaped creature climbed out of the box and onto the ground. Discord towered over Fluttershy as he stood in front of her. “I just got back from my stand up comedy show.”

“Oh, that sounds nice. Where was it?”

“At a fight club.”

“Goodness, that sounds umm... nice?”

“Naa, I was just kidding about the fight club. However, if I were to do a show at a fight club, I guaranty it would be a knock out!” The sound of a snare drum getting hit twice, followed by a symbol ting came from inside the box. Fluttershy giggled Discord's joke.

“That was good. So umm... I hate to be rude but I want to-”

“Here my jokes? Great! I have this one joke about the princess.”

“Which one?”

“Who cares! All I know is that if one goes missing, she will be in another castle.” The same sound came from the box as Discord finished his punchline.

“Heh, that was funny, but umm...”

“Oh! There is the one joke where it goes-”

“I just wanted to talk.” Fluttershy calmly cut her friend off as he was trying to finish her sentence. “I'm really sorry Discord, but I want you to hear me for a moment.”

“Talk you say! You did say you had a bit of a problem with one of your friends, did you not?”

“Well, yes but I-”

Discord then snapped his fingers and the living room now had a large sofa that looked like Rarity's when she has a dramatic episode. “Take a seat Fluttershy.” The pegasus crawled onto the couch and decided to lay on her back for no apperent reason. Reaching in the air, Discord made a notepad magically appear and he looked down at it. “So you have a problem with one of your friends is that right?”

“Umm... not really a problem, but-”

“'But?' Well if you say 'but' in a sentence, you completely disregard what you just said.”

“Okay... I have a teeny tiny problem with a friend of mine.”

“Oh! It must be Twilight Sparkle. Probably being a smart mouth to you.” As he spoke, he turned his notepad around and on it was a crude drawing of Twilight Sparkle. It began moving around and the words “blah” spewed out of the drawings mouth every time it opened its mouth.

“No, not Twilight.”

Discord then turned his notepad around and began scribbling again. “Then it must be Rarity. Taking advantage of you and not being generous by giving anything back in return.” Turning it around again, the notepad showed Rarity selling Fluttershy's cottage.

“No, not Rarity.”

“Then perhaps its-”

“It is none of the five you know.”

“None of them?!” Puzzled, Discord twirled his lion paw at his beard. “Hmm... Well, aside from the other five friends... Wait a minute!”

“What is it?”

“You must have a problem with me!”

In an instant, Fluttershy found herself sitting where Discord was. She then saw Discord laying on the couch, with a gray earth pony beside him, playing the cello. “Oh Fluttershy, where did I go wrong?! I just wanted a friend. And just when I thought I had something special!”

“No, you are not the problem.”

“Oh...” The long creature twirled his finger in his beard again. “Hmm... Then if I am not the issue, then who is?” Snapping his finger, Fluttershy was once again on her back as Discord was back in his seat. He looked at the cellist and asked, “Do you have any idea?”

The gray pony said, “I'm just a musician, not a miracle worker.”

“Indeed... Well Fluttershy, if you don't have a problem with me or your other five friends, then who is this other friend?”

Fluttershy shyly replied, “He is... umm...”

“So it's a colt friend! This is a surprise.”

“Why is it a surprise?”


“You never talk about any stallion when you send me letters. You usually talk about what you and your five friends are up to.”

“Yes that it true, but-”

“How come you haven't told me? One of your friends?” Again, Fluttershy suddenly found herself back in Discord's chair as he was lying on his back on the couch. Discord began sobbing again, “I thought friends were supposed to...” He was cut off as he looked at the gray pony who stood by her cello. “Play something sad,” Discord said calmly.

“Of course.” The mare began to grind her bow on the strings of the instrument and created a sad tune.

Discord then continued his sobbing. “I thought friends were supposed to be honest with each other! Why have you been keeping secrets from me?” As he cried, Discord held two pitchers in each hand, catching his stream of tears as they fell. He then chugged both of the pitchers and resumed crying.

“I haven't been keeping secrets Discord. This just happened today.”

“Today?” Discord's crying stopped immediately and he, once again, swapped Fluttershy and himself back onto their original places. “Hmm, well I just feel silly for over reacting now,” he said, even though he knew he was pretending to be over zealous.

“Excuse me, but do you want me to stop playing?” the cellist asked.

“No no, you can do your thing.”

“Very well.”

While the musician continued with her emotional tune, Discord looked at Fluttershy and asked, “So Fluttershy, what is your problem?” The lord of chaos then reached in the air and a smoking pipe appeared in his paw and he began blowing bubbles out of it.

“Umm...” Fluttershy was at a loss of words because she was trying to piece together what she felt earlier when Big Macintosh. It took a while before Fluttershy managed to speak. “Well, it all started when I was alone with Big Macintosh.”

“Big Macintosh? You mean Applejack's brother?”

“Yes.”

“And what started when you were alone with Big Macintosh?”

“I felt all nervous... like...”

Discord blew a large bubble out of the pipe and the word “nervous” was within the moist sphere. “Nervous, huh?” The bubble then drifted over to Fluttershy and hovered over head. “What else did you feel?”

“I umm... I think I was also feeling scared, alone, shy of course...” As Fluttershy told how she was feeling, three bubbles flew over her head as the words “scared,” “alone,” and “shy” were in their own individual bubble.

“Interesting. Now tell me, why did you feel like that?”

“Because I thought I was being a bad host...”

“Did you have him over for dinner?”

“Yes. That's why there is a bit of a mess on the table over there.”

Discord looked at the table that held empty bowls and several leaves rested on the wooden top.. “But did Big Macintosh think you were a bad host?”

“No.”

“And did you tell him you were worried that you were a bad host?”

“No.”

“Did anything else happen?”

“After I thought a hair was in his salad, he came over and gave me a hug.”

“How nice!” Discord smiled with delight. “Did that make you feel happy?”

“Oh not just happy, but I felt warm, embarrassed, comfortable, joyful, relaxed, joyful, lighthearted, pleased, sunny, like I was in heaven, blissful, overjoyed...” Without realizing it, many bubbles surrounded the mare and all of the words she said were inside their own individual sphere. “Do you know why I feel this way?”

“Umm... y... yeah, I do.” I actually do not understand... Friendship is really not my forte. I would ask Twilight Sparkle, but this sounds more like love. “I've got it!” Discord exclaimed suddenly.

“What is it?” Fluttershy was somehow not surprised at her friend's outburst, but it caused the musician to stop playing her music.

“Just a thought came to mind.”

“Must have been a very good thought then.”

“It is. Listen Fluttershy, I am willing to help my friend, but friendship isn't... oh, how do you put it... It's like classical music verses techno. Everypony is into techno because it is the thing now a days, where as classical sounds all the same and lame.”

As soon as Discord spoke his witty comment, a sharp screech ruptured the room. Both he and Fluttershy looked to where the loud sound came from. It came from the gray pony who gave a nasty glare at Discord. “However, some of us enjoy classical music and make a living off of it,” the mare scoffed.

“My point exactly.” Discord then suddenly appeared behind the gray pony and picked up the cello.

“Hey!” the mare shouted.

As the musician tried to reach for her instrument, Discord had a hand on her face, keeping her at a safe distance. “You see, Fluttershy, I have to admit I prefer making things a little bit chaotic and you know this. The thing is, though, is that I don't really know how to help you in the subject of friendship.”

“I understand. You are my friend and I will accept that.”

“Why thank you Fluttershy.”

“But umm, it would be nice if you gave the instrument back to her please.”

“Fine,” Discord said in a bit of an irritated tone. He pulled his hand back and caused the gray pegasus to fall flat on her face. He then leaned the cello on the mare as she lied on the ground. “There you go.”

However, Fluttershy was not pleased with Discord's kind deed and gave him a disapproving look. “Discord,” the yellow pony asked in a displeased tone.

Because he didn't want to make his friend angry, Discord helped the musician onto her feet. “My apologies Mrs.-”

“Octavia,” the gray pony said in a foul tone.

Even though Discord helped Octavia up onto her hooves, Fluttershy raised her eyebrows, telling Discord he needed to do more than just say “my apologies.”

“Is there anything I can do to help you?” Discord asked.

“Anything?” Octavia replied.

“Anything.”

“Hmm... Well you can 'help' by relieving my frustration.”

“And how do I do that?”

“LIKE THIS!” Octavia moved like lightning and she swung her cello into the air. With all her might, she smashed the instrument on Discord's head with a crushing blow.

“OWWW! What was that for?!”

“There, I think you have helped me enough.” Octavia looked at Fluttershy with a bright smile and Fluttershy smiled back.

I guess I deserve this, Discord thought as he placed a large icepack on his head.

“May I make my leave?” Octavia asked in politeness.

“Of course,” Fluttershy replied. “Discord, can you return her back to where she was before?”

“Yes yes...”

“And I don't want any funny business, Discord. Exactly where she was.” Fluttershy creased her brow to show that she was being serious. She didn't want her friend to play a practical joke on Octavia by placing her somewhere she didn't want to be.

“But of course, Fluttershy.” The now curdious lord of chaos looked at Octavia and asked, “Are you ready to go?”

Grabbing hold of her cello and bow, she replied, “Yes.”

“Goodbye Ms. Music Mare.”

Chuckling, the musician replied, “It's Octavia.”

Discord then snapped his fingers and Octavia vanished in a flash of pink light.

“Umm... Discord?”

“Yes?”

“You said that you cannot help me in friendship, right?”

“Well I wish I could, but I have very little experience.” Suddenly, Discord conjured a diving board that was close to the ceiling of the cottage. He then climbed up to the top and stood at the very edge of it while he sat on a bicycle with a helmet on his head. Continuing where he left off, Discord resumed, “It's like if marathon cyclist wanted to be a high diver.” Leaning forward on the bike, Discord rode off the board. On the ground was a small glass of water. As he plunged toward the cup, Discord shrank to a very small size and fell into the glass. “You get what I am saying?” he said as he rose to the surface.

“I guess,” Fluttershy replied.

In a flash, the high dive was gone and Discord was back on his seat. “Even though this is a 'friendship problem' as you said in the letter you sent me, this sounds more like love.”

“What do you mean? Well, I guess I do love all of my friends.”

“As do I. However, love is on a whole new level of friendship.”

“Why is that?”

“Why don't we ask the alicorn who is the master of love, Cadence?”

“I suppose, but...” Fluttershy took a glance outside and saw that it was dark outside. “I don't think she is up by now.”

“Well I don't think she would mind having a small chit chat with you. After all, you are the element if kindness.”

“Yes, I am. But what if she is sleeping?”

“It's only 8:30 pm.”

“What if she is doing something very important?”

“I guarantee she is not doing anything important right now.”

“How do you know?”

“Watch.” Without warning, a flash of pink blinded the room for a brief moment.

A voice came after the light was gone. “Where am I?”

Standing in the middle of the room was the pink alicorn, Princess Cadence. She didn't look like she was in any professional or royal attire because she had an inner tube around her waist with a duck head sticking out of the side of the inflated circle.

“I told you she wasn't busy,” Discord said with a pleased smile.

Looking at the lord of chaos, Cadence asked in an unpleasant tone, “What is the meaning of this?”

“Hello Cadence. I called you here because I have a problem.”

“And what is-” The alicorn was cut off when she noticed Fluttershy lying on her back. “Fluttershy! How nice it is to see you!”

Psh, talk about the royal welcome... Discord argued in his head. Why is it whenever I summon somepony, they always give me a nasty remark?

While Discord sat slumped in his chair, Fluttershy replied, “Hello Cadence. Umm...”

“What's wrong?”

“Well, you see... I think I have a problem with one of my friends...”

“You see Cadence,” Discord interrupted. “Let me explain...”

It took him no time at all to explain what Fluttershy told him and how he thinks her issue is about love.

“Aww, he hugged you,” Cadence smiled. Fluttershy tried to hide her smiling blushing face with her arms, but made it more obvious that the pegasus was embarrassed. “So what happened before he left?”

“He asked me if he could take some of his salad home.” Fluttershy looked away, smiling as she answered Cadence.

“And I can tell that made you feel happy.”

“A little.”

Cadence giggled as Fluttershy kept trying to hide her embarrassed face. “I think I can conclude that you do like Big Macintosh.”

“Of course I do. Why wouldn't I?”

“I don't think that is what Cadence meant,” Discord spoke. “What she means you like Big Macintosh in a romantic way.”

“Wai- WHAT?! How do you know?!” Fluttershy's response was a shock to both Cadence and Discord. They were expecting their friend to be more excepting to the fact, but instead, decided to make a loud outburst.

“Calm down Fluttershy, we are not trying to offend you,” Cadence reassured. “What I mean is that you seem to get flustered when he gets near you.”

“I suppose.”

“I'll tell you what Fluttershy, give it some time and think if you do have romantic interest with Big Macintosh. I can help you out if you need any.”

“Umm... alright...”

“Thank you Cadence,” Discord smiled as he patted the alicorn on the head.

“Your welcome. I never thought I would be saying those words to you ever.”

“Whatever...”

Changing the subject, Fluttershy asked the princess, “So why do you have an innertube ducky?”

“Oh, Shining Armor and I are going for a late night swim. I desided to let the guards have the night off, so we are all at the royal pool.”

“Sounds nice.”

“Discord, can you use some of your magic to see what the colts are up to?”

“Sure.” Discord held out his hand and a pink portal swirled in front of Cadence.

As she looked into the portal, she saw Shining Armor standing on the high dive. It had an unrealistic height, about one-hundred feet or so. “Alright guys, do you see Cadence?” Shining Armor called from above.

A guard called from below, “No sign of her!”

“Alright, I'm going to do it!” Several voices came from below the stallion.

“WOOHOO, GO FOR IT!”

“This is going to hurt man!”

“You know your wife is going to kill you.”

Without hesitating, Shining Armor took a leap off the edge of the diving board. The stallion spread his arms and legs out wide as he plunged toward the water.

“Oh my goodness!” Cadence shrieked.

“What is it?” Fluttershy asked while she was still laying on her back. From her angle, she couldn't see what was happening.

“That is going to be some dive if he makes it,” Discord replied with a calm smile on his face.

“Discord, make him land on something soft!”

“Why should I do that?”

“Because he could hurt himself if he misses!”

“I doubt he will miss.” But the alicorn glared at Discord as he was giving smart remarks. “Fine, I will make sure he lands on something soft. Snapping his fingers, Discord made a cotton ball appear on top of the water's surface.

“YOU CALL THAT SOFT!?”

“Well you did say 'make him land on something soft.' So I made sure he will.”

As time ran out, Shining Armor landed on both the water and cotton ball. A loud slap echoed in the swimming pool area as his belly collided with the liquid. It made no splash when Shining Armor hit the water and he sank below the surface. A crowd of “OH!” came from the guards as they saw Shining Armor hit the water. Even Discord made a low “Ooo” after what he saw.

“Is he okay?!”

A few moments passed until the white stallion emerged from the water and said, “NAILED IT!” His face and underside was pink from the impact.

“Phew...” Cadence sat down in relief as she saw her husband safe. “You are lucky he made it to the water.

“But it was worth the risk, just like love, correct?” Discord's comment caused Cadence to be silent. “When you fell in love with Shining Armor, you made a risk right?”
“Yeah, I did.”

The lord of chaos turned to Fluttershy and said, “Make sure you are positive when you decide you do or don't love Big Macintosh okay? From what I know, love is a high risk, high reward. However, you need to be sure you know you are ready.”

“Okay...” Fluttershy didn't like the idea of liking Big Macintosh now that Discord has said what he said.

I don't mean to be mean Fluttershy, Discord thought to himself. I don't want to see my friend hurt, so be careful.

Trying to lighten up the mood, Cadence placed a hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder as she said with a smile, “But if you truly like Big Macintosh and you two get a long very well, maybe try for something more, like a date with dinner or a walk through the park.”

“That actually sounds easy,” Fluttershy replied with a small smile.

“I guess this is my leave everypony,” Cadence said as she looked at Fluttershy and Discord. “But can I ask just one favor? And I mean to ask Discord.”

“Me?” The now short lord of chaos shank to a very small size and spoke in a feminine western accent, “Why what can little ole me do for you?”

Both mares giggled for a brief moment before Cadence continued, “I want you to put me on top of the high dive.”

“Sure, if that is what you want.” Discord, now back to his normal size, changed the view of the portal to the front end of the diving board. “Just walk right through and there you have it.”

“What do you plan on doing,” Fluttershy asked.

“Jump off the high dive.”

Fluttershy panicked a bit after Cadence's reply. “Don't hurt yourself, okay?”

“I will make the risk.” The princess then winked at Discord as she walked through the pink portal. Before walking through, she said, “Goodbye you too!” Both Fluttershy and Discord then looked through the portal to see what was going to happen.

From Shining Armor's perspective he saw his wife standing on the edge of the high dive, looking down at him. He didn't know whether or not to be scared for himself or Cadence. She bounced up and down on the diving board before making a giant leap off the edge. Using her wings, the princess prepelled herself toward the pool and toward her husband.

Without himself knowing it, Shining Armor shouted, “HOLY SWEET CELE-”.

Just before Cadence was about to collide with the water and Shining Armor, Discord closed the portal and caused it to vanish. “I think she will be fine,” he said.
“B... but are you sure?” Fluttershy asked in a worried tone. “What if she-”

“Cadence made a risk and I think she is going to be fine. I think she wanted to show us and Shining Armor that she can make a risk, especially toward someone she loves.”

“She does love Shining Armor a lot.”

“Indeed.” There was a moment of silence before Discord said, “I think I shall be going as well Fluttershy. I need to go prepare for my next act tomorrow.”

“Alright.” Fluttershy sat upright and flew over to her friend and hugged his neck. “Thanks for helping Discord.”

“Well, what are friends for.” He then hugged his friend back before climbing back into the box he came out of. “I will see you later Fluttershy.”

“Goodbye.”

Ducking into the box, the present lifted up, spun around in the air, and disappeared in a puff of pink sparks and light. From where the box was sitting, Angel had an irritated look on his face as he was underneath the box. Ignoring the rabbit's misfortune, Fluttershy asked, “Angel, do you think I like Big Macintosh in a romantic way?”

However, Angel also ignored Fluttershy's circumstance and crawled onto his bed to go to sleep. “Oh... well, you don't have to help Angel...” The mare sat up from the couch she was laying on and looked down at the floor. She was thinking about what Discord said about love having a high risk high reward and what Cadence said about going on dates if she and Big Macintosh get along. Speaking aloud to herself, Fluttershy said, “It's more than just that. I think I know why I feel scared... Oh Big Mac... I'm... s... sorry...” A few tears streamed down the sad mare's face as she got up and began cleaning the table full of empty bowls and flakes of leaves.

***
As she lied on her bed, Scootaloo glanced at all of her notes, smiling at her accomplishment. So many things had happened at Fluttershy's cottage in just one evening and so much more was about to happen. “I can't wait to tell the girls at school tomorrow!”