• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 3,327 Views, 100 Comments

Melody for my Dear - FerociousCreation



After a rescue from Big Macintosh, Fluttershy forms emotions for him; however things get in the way

  • ...
13
 100
 3,327

Whackin' Troubles

Melody for my Dear
Ch4

“So how many gophers do we have this year Applejack,” questioned Applebloom.

“More than your little head can even count,” Applejack huffed as six ponies ran to the farm. Fluttershy was flying above the five grounded ponies, hoping she can keep up with the fast group.

“Oh, there’s the farm,” said Fluttershy pointing ahead of them, but she was not heard over the thundering hooves. As they approached, they slowed down and walked into the entrance. The yellow pegasus landed next to the group of them and looked around to see where the gophers were. However, the only thing she saw was the barn, the apple orchard, and the three fillies breathing heavily for some oxygen.

“I don’t see any gophers Applejack,” Fluttershy looked at Applejack.

“They were here just moments ago I reckon…” Puzzled, Applejack rubbed her chin with a hoof. I know those gosh darn vermin were here.

“Maybe it is a small family and… EKK!” A mound of dirt emerged from where Fluttershy was standing and carried her away
behind the barn, leaving behind a lumpy trail as it traveled across the farm.

“Common yall’, follow that gopher!”

Applejack and Big Macintosh took off after the trail and Fluttershy. As they rounded the corner, Big Macintosh asked Applejack, “Hay sis, who’s watchin’ the apple stand?”

“Granny Smith. You don’t mind that, do ya?”

“Nnope.”

After their exchange of information, Fluttershy passed the two ponies in the opposite direction continuing to skid on top of the mound that continued to advance. It eventually came to a stop underneath an apple tree and out popped a head from the mound of dirt. The pegasus bounced up as the head surfaced from the ground and landed next to the creature. “Oh, hello there little one,” Fluttershy smiled. Happy to see a friendly face, the small gopher smiled and waved its arm at her. Fear was then suddenly stricken on the gophers face as Applejack and Big Macintosh approached the two of them and dove back into the hole.

“Oh, it seemed scared…” worried Fluttershy.

“Well, we kinda had to shoo em’ off last year,” said Applejack with a nervus look on her face.

“How?”

Before Applejack could respond, a groan came from behind the three ponies. Slowly staggering on the ground, Applebloom dragged herself towards a water hose that was lying in the thin grass. Scootaloo followed, crawling on the ground, along with Sweetie Belle slouched on her back. Water shot out of the hose as soon as Applebloom turned the nozzle on all the way and she started to sip at the stream of water. As she was drinking the refreshment, an orange arm snatched the hose out of the filly’s grasp. Her pegasus friend shoved the end of the hose in her mouth, relieving herself of thirst. It was not before long before Scootaloo began to inflate with water and her body began to expand. Pressure was built up to the point where the filly shot backwards, spewing water as she went. Sweetie Bell was left airborne when Scootaloo rocketed off before plopping to the ground.

“Wow, look at her go,” Applebloom watched as her friend began to bounce off of the trees. Sweetie Belle was too busy to notice as she was pouring the water on her head and licking some of it in as it ran down her face.

Both Applejack and Fluttershy were amused at how exhausted the fillies were from the run to the farm and their desperation to drink water.

“Umm, Applejack, where is Big Mac,” Fluttershy said as she looked over her shoulder.

“Oh, I just saw him wonder off in that ol’ shed over yonder,” pointed the cowpony to a plain wooden shed. From it, Big Macintosh emerged from it with a mallet clenched in his teeth. Before he walked to the two mares, he evaded Scootaloo as she flew towards him and crashed into the shed. Both mares ran over to see if the filly was okay; she was, but Scootaloo’s eyes spun as her head was stood up on the wooden floor and legs leaned against the wall.

“Oh, Scootaloo, are you okay,” asked Fluttershy walking into the shed.

The filly’s body slowly slid off the wall and onto her back. Lending a helping hoof, Fluttershy helped Scootaloo to all fours.

“Thanks Fluttershy, but I’m fine,” complimented the orange filly before tripping over a nail, slamming her face against the wall of a shed, and shaking a bucket from a shelf above her to fall over Scootaloo’s head.

Applejack was caught laughing lightly by Fluttershy while the pegasus assembled Scootaloo to sit upright.

“You need to be more careful Scootaloo. I am responsible for keeping you safe,” said Fluttershy as she revealed the little one’s head.

“Ugh… sorry… my head hurts…,” whined Scootaloo.

Both Fluttershy and Applejack helped the filly out of the shed, when suddenly a huge, brief rupture came from the ground which made everypony bounce a few inches off the ground. This caused Fluttershy to shriek and dash to a tree, clenching onto the trunk. Apples began to fall off some of the surrounding trees during the rupture.

“W…What was that,” worried Fluttershy. The three of them looked around to see where the sudden force came from. Once again, a huge shake rocked the entire farm from an unknown source, and Fluttershy’s protective tree vibrated and shook her off.

“Over there,” called Sweetie Belle from a distance. Attention grabbed the three ponies to look where the voice came from. Not a second later, came another violent rumble.

“Oh, that must be Big Mac an’ the other two,” said Applejack with a sigh in relief.

“He is making all this shaking,” questioned Scootaloo.

Curiosity overcame Fluttershy and she flew up into the sky to see what Big Macintosh was doing to create these insane ruptures. When she caught sight of the red colt, she saw an adorable head of brown appear from the earth and looked at Applebloom.

“Right there brother,” shouted Applebloom and shot an arm at the gopher. A blurry swish of solid wood swung and crashed down on the poor earth creature. Big Macintosh had the wooden mallet clenched in his teeth. Defenseless to help, the airborne pegasus gasped and whimpered in fear that earth creature was injured, or worse. To Fluttershy’s relief, the gopher poked its head aside the mallet with a shocked look on its face and lucky to still be conscious.

“There it is again,” cried Sweetie Belle.

Rising once again, the mallet had its eyes locked onto the gopher. It squeaked and dashed back underground. Big Macintosh was about to swing when Fluttershy cried out, “Wait!”

Six eyes looked at the yellow pegasus as she flew over to the mallet wielder and the two gopher scouters. “Are you trying to hurt these poor creatures,” Fluttershy glared as her eyes encountered Big Macintosh’s.

“Nope,” he hesitated as he casually tossed the wooden hammer aside.

“But we always got rid of em’ this way,” defended Applebloom.

“How come Applejack never told me about this?” Fluttershy looked back to see Applejack approach from behind along with Scootaloo trotting alongside her. Applejack knew she had to confront her friend about the gophers. The cowpony could see the sorrow in the pegasus’ eyes and held her breath as she approached.

“I’m sorry for not tellin’ ya about this problem in the past Fluttershy…” Applejack frowned, letting out the held in air. “It’s just them little critters dig around the trees and chew up the roots. We need to make sure our trees get their nutrients so we can grow our apples. Ya hear what I’m sayin’?”

“Umm… well I understand you run a farm but…” Fluttershy was about to make her statement, when a slam came from a distance away from everypony. Big Macintosh was surrounded by mounds of earth as brown gophers poked in and out of the ground. They teased him as he swung the wooden hammer in attempt to hit one of them but failed every time. Many gophers then popped up around Big Macintosh and blew their tongues at him. Enraged, he rapidly swung at the holes, but in vain, missing every gopher as they popped in and out of the ground. Exausted, Big Macintosh’s jaw dropped the hammer and the stallion sprawled out on his belly. His head rested in the grass as a small gopher appeared before his face. It quickly snatched a small rock and threw the rough sphere at the stallion’s forehead. A hoof quickly fell over the gopher, but the earth creature was too quick for Big Macintosh and fled back into the ground.

Irritation was found on his face as Fluttershy approached the stallion. “Umm, want me to help you up Big Mac,” she smiled shyly.

“Eeyup.” She wrapped her hoof around his and attempted to assist Big Macintosh. The stallion rocked his body so he can get upright and have Fluttershy pull him up. His massive strength, however, overcame the pegasus, and when he pulled on her arm, it caused her to tumble onto him. Both ponies’ eyes widened and cheeks flushed with red as they realized what had happened.

“Oh, umm… sorry Fluttershy.”

“Oh, it’s okay.” The pegasus quickly got off of him and tried to show less blush by looking away. Big Macintosh helped himself off of the ground and rubbed his arm in embarrassment at what had happened.

Applejack and the three fillies chuckled as they approached the clumsy ponies. “He just can’t seem to know his own
strength, huh Big Mac,” questioned Applejack.

“N…nope,” he replied, still flustered.

“So, how do we get these gophers off the farm,” asked Scootaloo.

“Oh yes, that’s right!” Fluttershy remembered what she was trying to do before past events occurred. “Everypony, please take a seat behind.” As everypony planted their rumps onto the grass, the pegasus looked into a hole in front of her and spoke very softly, “Hello? Anypony home?”

Moments pass when a friendly brown head came from the hole. It looked behind the yellow pony to see the big red mallet swinging bully peering down onto it. Before it went back into the ground to flee, Fluttershy smiled, “Oh, please don’t be afraid. My friend over there is very sorry for doing such a mean thing to you and your family. Watch me little one.” She then turned to Big Macintosh and beckoned him to come over. Slowly but surely, he walked over to Fluttershy and sat next to her. The stallion felt guilt weigh him down as he sat in front of the gopher, knowing it was mad and scared of him. “Now Big Mac, why don’t you apologize to the gopher?”

Looking down and ears folded, the stallion said low in shame, “Ah… ah am sorry little one. Ah didn’t mean no harm, it’s just, yall make a bit of a mess when ya go all diggin’ about the farm.” Trying to gain the trust of the gopher, he stomped the ground with one hoof, and an apple fell from a tree above him. Quickly catching it, he then lowers the apple to the earth creature and says calmly, “Here ya go little one.”

A black nose sniffed the apple that was gifted to it. Then it grabbed the round fruit and retreated into the ground as it has done before. “That was very nice Big Mac,” smiled Fluttershy with a bit of a glow in her eyes. Accepting the complement from the pegasus, he rubbed his head in embarrassment with a smile.

Without warning, a sudden twenty little bodies popped out of the ground and surrounded both Fluttershy and Big Macintosh. The gopher that received an apple pointed its arm at both ponies, chattering away at the others that came to the surface. Soon, a very old looking gopher with a gray beard slowly crawled out of a hole and walked up to the two ponies. “Oh my, is that your family Mr. Old Gopher,” questioned Fluttershy. Answering the question, the bearded creature slowly bobbed its head. “Well, I’m sorry to say but my friends who live here, umm…” Fluttershy recollected her thoughts without offending the head gopher. She looked over her shoulder to see the Cutie Mark Crusaders whispering to one another as Applejack stared at the crowd of gophers. “…well, they think you can live in a better place than here. Behind my home, there is a nice hill for you and your family to live. I also have other rodents who live there so you can all mingle.”

By golly, she has sucha way with words, smiled Big Macintosh as the pegasus continued to speak to the elder.

“So waddia say!? I mean, it would be nice to have more company at my home…” shied Fluttershy as she sounded too eager to help the family of gophers.

Raising its gray brows, the gopher slowly turned around to its family and stood silently for a few moments. Everypony now had to wait eagerly for the answer from the elder; even the gophers were waiting in anticipation. The elder then held its chin up high, and bobbed his head up and down. A sudden “yeay” came from the group of gophers as the elder agreed to Fluttershy’s proposal. Even Applejack and the Cutie Mark Crusaders cheered.

“That was some mighty fine work Fluttershy.” Applejack walked over to the pegasus with a smile.

“Oh, well, I couldn’t have done it without Big Mac,” answered Fluttershy, looking up at the stallion.

“Really?” he questioned.

“Yup,” giggled the pink haired pony.

“So Fluttershy, how will we get all these gophers to your cottage,” Scootaloo spoke as she came through the crowd of gophers.

Something brown and soft brushed against Fluttershy’s arm as she was about to answer. “Well, how about you, Sweetie Belle, and Applebloom should go and get some baskets so we can carry all of these cute little things.”

“Alright, girls you know what to do,” called Scootaloo to Applebloom and Sweetie Belle.

“Yeah,” spoke the other two fillies.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADER BASKET RETRIEVERS! YEAH,” called the three crusaders as they ran to the barn to go grab some baskets.

Fluttershy picked up the small earth creature that nuzzled against her arm and snuggled it close to her face. Holding it in Big Macintosh’s direction, she joyfully asks, “Don’t you just want to snuggle this little guy?”

Cute glassy eyes looked into the stallion’s eyes as he responded, “Eeyup.”

“Yall have fun now,” Applejack turned to leave. “I gotta go an’ help out Granny Smith at the apple stand.”

“Oh, well, hope you have a great rest of the day,” the yellow pegasus responded.

“Eeyup,” waved Big Macintosh.

“An’ Big Mac,” the cowpony looked forward. “Yall don’t be stayin’ too long at Fluttershy’s. I’ll be needin’ your help, ya hear?”
She started to walk forward as he spoke a low “Eeyup”.

The colt stared at the back of his sister as her walk turned into a jog out of the farm. Fluttershy looked at Big Macintosh’s half blank stare and asked, “Umm… is something wrong?”

“Nnope,” he said, but his stiff stare said otherwise. Why yall need me to help out on a Monday Applejack? It ain’t even busy during the afternoon.

“Are you sure? You look a bit concerned.”

From a straght stare to a smile, Big Macintosh looked down to her and smiled, “Eeyup.”

“WE GOT THE BASKETS,” called the three fillies as they trampled through the trees.

“Alright girls and Big Mac,” instructed the yellow pegasus. “We need to try to fit as much gophers into a basket, but not too many okay?”

Big Macintosh nodded his head while the three young ponies shouted, “CUTIE MARK CRUSADER ANIMAL RETRIEVERS
ARE GO!”

***

Light orange began to bleed into the afternoon sky at Fluttershy’s cottage. Hooves clattered as five ponies walked over the bridge to the pegasus’ home.

“Find a cutie mark girls?” asked Applebloom with a basket of gophers balanced on her back.

Both Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle looked at the yellow filly’s bare flank and replied, “No.”

“Darn!” Slightly angered, Applebloom lightly kicked a stone that rested in the grass and it rolled down the slope and into the small river.

“Don’t you worry Applebloom,” Fluttershy told the frustrated filly. “When you least expect it, you will get your cutie mark.”

The pegasus then placed the basket of gophers onto the grass and told the three fillies and Big Macintosh, “Alright everypony, you can put the baskets down now.”

As the ponies set down the baskets, the furry earth creatures hopped out of their carriages. Some sniffed the new air as others looked around their newly found home. “Excuse me,” Fluttershy spoke to the group of gophers. “Please follow me and I will show you were your new home will be.” She slowly walked backwards as the crowd of brown followed. After walking around the backside of the cottage, was a hill filled with lush grass and some clusters of flowers that spotted the area.

“Wow,” spoke Sweetie Belle in awe. “It’s so pretty!”

“I hope you and your family likes it,” Fluttershy looked at the elder gopher. It rapidly nodded its head with a smile as the group chattered amongst themselves. “Just be careful not to dig too close to the surface of the ground,” warned the pegasus. “You might hurt the flowers.”

Heeding her warning, the elder then began digging a hole in front of him and submerged into the earth. Others soon began to follow into the hole until one little gopher was left. It went over to Big Macintosh with a smile on its face and hugged his hoof.

“Aww,” spoke everypony instead of Scootaloo, sticking her tongue out in disgust. Big Macintosh then gestured the gopher to go back to its family. Looking up and waving at the five ponies, it then scampered into the newly developed hole.

“Alright girls,” called Applebloom suddenly with glee. “Let’s go set up for camping!”

“Yeah,” shouted the other two fillies.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS CAMPING IN FLUTTERSHY’S BACKYARD, YEAH!” Three colorful bodies dashed into Fluttershy’s backyard and into her cottage, excited for the evening festivities.

Both Fluttershy and Big Macintosh laughed lightly as they walked into the backyard. “I promised them they could do anything tonight and they wanted to go camping outside in the… dark,” whimpered the pegasus. “I mean, do you think I will be safe?”

An arm fell across her neck and a friendly “Eeyup” came into her ears.

“Oh, thank you Big Mac,” smiled Fluttershy with some of her mane covering her right eye.

The stallion nodded with a smile and looked to the sky. Hmm, might as well head on out before Applejack throws a fit.

“Are you planning on leaving now,” looked the pegasus as Big Macintosh looked at the sky.

“Eeyup,” he said in a monotone voice.

“Well… before you go, I was wondering…” Yellow ears retreated in embarrassment as the shy pegasus attempted to ask Big Macintosh something.

“Hey Fluttershy,” spoke Applebloom as she was opening the back door. “I was wondering where we…” Neither Big Macintosh nor Fluttershy heard the pink bowed pony as they were entwined with each other’s gaze.

Sucking in a lung full of oxygen, the yellow pegasus exhaled quickly, “I was wondering if you want to spend time together!”

Her eyelids slammed shut and ears still hid in a pink haired shelter. Ever so softly, Fluttershy spoke once again, “I mean… if you want to…”

As the pegasus slowly opened her eyes, a red faced smile met her. Big Macintosh’s happy grin opened and answered, “Eeyup.”

Aww, how cute, thought Applebloom after Big Macintosh accepted Fluttershy’s invitation to spend time with each other.

“So, how about tomorrow we can-” went the pegasus a little excited but she was interrupted by the red stallion.

“Nope… too much work…”

“Oh… okay…,” Fluttershy spoke softly and looked away, thinking she was too eager to set up plans.

“Thursday,” said Big Macintosh with a friendly smile.

“That will work!” A bright look on the pegasus’ face was found once again.

Hoping she would not interrupt, the pink bow bounced as Applebloom walked over to her brother. “Ya might wanna get a move on. Applejack might not wanna worry about ya.”

“Eeyup,” lifted a red head, glancing at the sun and turning away from its glare. Both siblings exchanged a comforting hug before Big Macintosh began to depart from the cottage.

Just before leaving the backyard, a stick plopped next to Big Macintosh. He lifted a hoof as if to try to avoid it, and looked behind him.

With a hoof to her mouth, Applebloom called out, “Watch out for falling trees!” Instead of a typical response, the red stallion began laughing as he rounded the corner. “Alright Fluttershy, let’s get this tent all set up!”

“Y…yes, we should,” responded Fluttershy, shaking her head from being distracted by her thoughts.

“Hey girls, ya comin’ out or what,” cried the bowed filly into the door of the cottage.

Fluttershy walked over to the door to open it, when it flung open as sheets, blankets, and pillows, engulfing the unprepared pegasus.

“READY FOR CAMPING,” called out Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle as the two of them rested atop of the pile.

“Umm, can somepony please help me,” went a voice from beneath the sea of stitched cloth.

***

Flaming diamonds shimmered in the dark atmosphere after Princess Luna raised her veil over the sky once again. Attempting to hide from the presence of the white sphere, a rectangular prism of blankets hung from a low hanging branch.

Dim lighting lit the hollow tent of cloth as an erre voice came from Scootaloo with a flashlight drawn to her face, “…and nopony ever saw them again…” Small animals huddled around Fluttershy as she and the small creatures shivered in fear from the finished horror story.

Two bodies were shaking underneath the blankets for a while and then suddenly stopped. “Great story Scoot,” smiled Applebloom with glee.

“Yeah,” squeaked Sweetie Belle as her voice cracked from her adrenalin. “I think that monster would make Rarity scream from all the mess he made, huh Fluttershy?”

A gentle nudge from the white filly pushed against the yellow pegasus. “Well… I guess but was everypony alright in the end after all?”

“Yes…” sighed Scootaloo slightly irritated from how Fluttershy cannot take a make believe story. “Two weeks later they all made it to safety and everypony saw them after all…”

“Oh good,” smiled Fluttershy. Soft sighs came from the small creatures that huddled around the yellow pony. “I think it is time to go to bed.” Stretching her wings and letting out a big yawn, Fluttershy rests her head down on a pillow behind her and lifts a woven sheet over her. All the animals had to slightly adjust themselves when she lay down to sleep.

Moments pass and the filly pegasus poked the now sleeping pegasus to assure she was asleep. “Hey, psst…” whispered Scootaloo to the animals that huddled around the warm body. Various sizes of eyes glanced up to the pony wielding the flashlight. “Remember when I told Fluttershy everypony got home safely?” Shadows of the creatures bobbed, answering Scootaloo. “Well… to tell you the truth… THEY REALLY DIDN’T!” Tiny orange wings clawed out and a mean stare fell upon the critters. Shuddering in fear, all the animals bunched close together attempting to comfort each other in hopes the horrifying monster doesn’t get them.

“Common Scoot, you’re runnin’ this story into the ground faster than Granny Smith in a mine cart,” remarked Applebloom.

“I wonder if there is a cutie mark of ruining stories,” snickered Sweetie Belle and Applebloom giggled along.

“I don’t see you two good at telling stories,” the pegasus filly growled.

“Hehe, yeah,” smiled Sweetie Belle, rubbing her head. “I don’t think I could be that scary.”

“No kidding,” Scootaloo shoved the white filly as she spoke.

After a brief moment of silence, Applebloom whispers, “Hey girls, I need to tell you somethin’ I saw earlier today…”

“Oh,” Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo spoke in unison.

“I’ll tell ya under the covers.” Applebloom pulled the blanket over the three of them with the flashlight brightly lighting up the area the fillies hid in. “So… did yall see how Fluttershy was lookin’ at my brother?”

“Well, she was looking pretty shy today, but that is typical,” answered Sweetie Belle with a smile.

“I know that silly, but remember how Mrs. Chearly looked at Big Mac when we gave them the love potions?”

“Don’t remind me of that mushy stuff…” gagged Scootaloo.

“Think of that, but all shy looking too. Don’t you get it? She gave him the eye!”

“OH,” spoke the other two fillies in understanding.

“Umm… what’s the eye,” questioned Sweetie Belle.

“Yeah, never heard of it,” remarked the pegasus.”

“YALL HAVE NEVEr_” spoke Applebloom aloud. Both of her friends quickly crammed a hoof over the loud mouth.

Mumbling came from behind the hidden fillies and Applebloom and Sweetie Belle uncovered themselves to see where it
came from. “Oh, thank you Big Mac…” Fluttershy spoke softly.

“Aww,” whispered the two friends.

“Oh I get it now,” exclaimed the white filly quietly. “You mean the way Fluttershy looked at your brother may suggest she is looking for a special somepony.”

“That’s right! We three need to make sure they are in love and then we make a gentle nudge to get them together.”

“Yeah and this time, we will make sure they fall in love first.”

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS LOVE INVESTIGATORS ARE UNDERWAY,” chanted Sweetie Belle and Applebloom quietly.

“Remember the time when we gave Big Mac and Mrs. Chearly that love poison?” Applebloom waved her hoof at her friend with a smile.

“Yeah don’t remind me, hehe. You remember that, right Scoot?” Silence filled the tent as there was no response from the orange filly. “Scoot, are you asleep?”

“RAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH,” shouted a horrifying voice from beneath the blankets. “I AM THE SLOP MONSTER!”

“AAAAGGGGHHH, SLOP MONSTER,” shrieked the two startled fillies.

“AGH, WHERE,” screamed Fluttershy. Among the chaos, frightened animals ran out of the tent, fleeing back to their homes.

“Hehe, gotcha,” laughed Scootaloo.

“That wasn’t very nice Scootaloo…,” frowned Fluttershy.

“Sorry.”

Instead of a frowning face or an angry glare, the yellow pegasus smiled, “Oh you better because I might tell you about… the STARE monster!”

“That’s okay! Goodnight Fluttershy,” spoke the Cutie Mark Crusaders in a panic. All three of the fillies cuddled against each other in hopes not to hear Fluttershy’s story. Within a few moments, silence once again found its way back into the tent.