• Published 30th Dec 2017
  • 1,724 Views, 26 Comments

T&EG Welcome To Canterlot High: Short Stories - LPFanFic



A collection of short stories that tie in with Thomas & Equestria Girls: Welcome To Canterlot High.

  • ...
 26
 1,724

8. Come On, Irene

Welcome To Canterlot High
Short Stories!

8.Come On, Irene:

"Rise an' shine every… body?"

Applejack opened the barn doors to her garage and found all the Engines already awake. She was a bit surprise to see them up and ready to start the day. Usually she was the early bird of the ranch, the sun was barely even rising from the horizon yet, but the Engines all looked like they've been up for a while.

"Oh," Toby said, eagerly, "Hello, Applejack. We've been waiting for you."

"Huh. Is that so," She smiled. "How long have y'all been up for?"

"Uhh, all night it felt like. These beds are simply," Gordon immediately stopped complaining after looking over at Applejack with her arms crossed. "Good enough for me!"

Applejack glared at him suspiciously some more while he continued grinning innocently.

"So, Applejack," Toby began, "now that we're awake and ready to start the day, what chores should I get started on first? Do some cows need milking, hay bales need baling, or does the shed need more cleaning?"

Toby was the most excited to start the day out of all his friends. Last night, Toby had decided that today will be the day he'll prove to Applejack how strong he truly was. After a few poor attempts of such a display yesterday, Toby knew he couldn't make the same mistakes again today for he feared that Applejack was catching on to his exaggeration. Despite what Toby told her about being a Tram Engine on Sodor, only half of what he shared were really true. He didn't like calling it a lie, because they really did happen regardless of how stretched the truth might've been. But over the years, Toby's forte slowly began to decline. He couldn't pull as many trucks or go as fast like the other engines. If he were asked to push Gordon up his hill again, he wouldn't have any strength left to do so anymore.

With a new day a head of him and new, untapped potential within him, Toby saw this opportunity to really show his true strengths to Applejack.

"Whoa, now, hold your horses there, Toby. I like that you're eager to get to workin', but we've still got school today. Big Mac an' I won't be 'round to supervise til we get back."

"Don't worry about that. We can handle ourselves here no problem."

"We?!" James said. "In case you haven't noticed, Toby, I'm still sore from yesterday. Don't make us do more farm work when some of us have actual plans for today."

Edward agreed. "Besides, I think its best if we all meet at the school first and see if we can figure out any solutions to Lady's memories."

"Right, I forgot," Toby said. "Sorry to keep you all from your other duties. I suppose I could always hang back and work on the Ranch myself."

"You're not coming with us, Toby?" Henry asked.

Toby shrugged. "I don't see how I could be of any help to the discussion."

"Of course, you would," Percy said, surprised. "You're one of the wisest engines of us all, Toby. If anyone can clear up what's going on with Lady, that'd be you!"

Applejack was a bit surprised by what Percy said. Toby never mentioned being one of the wiser engines. He's only gone on about how much trucks loaded with heavy stone he could carry in one trip and what not. Toby still felt a little humbled though.

"I appreciate the thought, Percy. But, I feel I'd be more useful at Sweet Apple Acres."

"Well, I think you should come with us anyways," Edward suggested. "We might as well try and add our own thoughts to this issue."

"Oh, Okay. I guess I can do that too." Toby turned back to Applejack. "But, I can still come back to Sweet Apple Acres afterwards, right Applejack?"

"Course, ya can, Toby," She said, placing her hand on his shoulder. "I got nothin' else planned today unless somethin' comes up. So, me, Big Mac, an' Granny will be at the farm to get yah workin' and keepin' busy."

Toby beamed. The Engines all got up and left the barn with Applejack to head out to Canterlot High.


Just as Toby suspected, Applejack was beginning to question Toby's claims about his strength. He could barely lift any of the heavy moving boxes into Cranky Doodle's new house, and he couldn't carry more than two hale bales yesterday. If he was supposed to be so strong, why did Toby show a lot of difficulty when it came to heavy lifting? Applejack was suspicious in deed. She knew he might be trying to prove himself by showing how strong he can be, but Toby was keeping something from her. Applejack could see it in him whenever they're working together. She knew exactly what was going on with Toby, but he won't up and admit it to her. So instead, Applejack had something in mind to really see how strong Toby was and get him to admit so.

After school was done for the day, Applejack invited Toby to meet with her by the farm's shed at Sweet Apple Acres. Both friends entered the garage and stood in the center.

"Alright, Toby," Applejack began, "Ready to receive your first job for today?"

"Oh, yes! I've been ready all day, Applejack," He said, eagerly. "Ready to get started!"

"Great! Fair warnin', though, you're gonna wanna brace yourself for this one."

"What is it?" Toby asked, confused.

"Ya sure you're ready?"

"Yes!"

"Positive?"

"I am."

"No matter what it is?"

"Anything."

She raised a brow, "… Honestly?"

Toby was a bit impatient, but slipped a small chuckled.

"Would you just tell me already, Applejack."

"Oh, I will. Just makin' sure your officially on board. The first job I'd like you to do is…"

Toby's eyes widened with anticipation. Applejack, building up a lot of tension after pausing for a few seconds, notions over to a stack of five, large wooden crates with apple labels on each side.

"Take these here five apple crates an' stock em up on the garret right above us."

Eyes widened in fear, Toby nervously gazed up at the loft. It was dark and cramped, and the only way up was by climbing a wooden ladder. Toby's stomach twisted and curled with dread. How was he supposed to move all those crates up to the loft? But that was it, Applejack expected him to just carry or throw them with his brute strength alone. Toby didn't know this, but Applejack was secretly testing him. She wanted to see if he'll confess his lack of strength so he can stop taking on heavy duty chores that didn't meet his limit. His head was swirling so much he didn't even see the look on Applejack's face. Her eyes were lidded, smirk beamed, and one leg crossed over the other while both hands rested on her hips. Toby began stuttering nervously.

"Oh, an' don't worry about how to go about it," Applejack instructed, then proceeded to leave the barn. "Take as long as you need. Not like you'll need it, though."

"W-wait!" Toby exclaimed.

Applejack turned back excitedly.

"You're not gonna stay and help?" He said, nervously.

She slouched in annoyance, then arched up again.

"Sorry, Toby. But Big Mac needs me to check up on the pigs. I'll stop by in a few to see how much progress is bein' made. Til then, I'm countin' on you to get the job done. Good luck!"

Applejack then left the barn while Toby remained static and gazed up at the barn's tiny loft area.


Toby turned to the crates stacked with four on the floor and one on top. He gulped, knowing he'd already agreed to get it done before hand, and wasn't about to back down just now. Still, Toby was apprehensive. He wasn't really strong, and yet he somehow has to haul five apple filled crates. Toby stood for a long time, wondering just how to approach this task. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Toby, Applejack hid herself behind the barn and peered discreetly inside through the windows to see how this will turn out. She was ready to intervene in case he does come clean, or more importantly ends up hurting himself.

At first, Toby was beginning to lose hope, as he attempted to lift the top crate with both arms. Toby was able to drag and nudge it off the four on the bottom, but quickly found he couldn't even carry it as the edge of the box slipped off the bottom one's top and bashed the floor. Luckily, he wasn't hurt, and the apples remained somewhat intact. The crate's lid was slightly split open, revealing the shiny, fresh, red apples inside. 'Maybe I should just come clean with Applejack,' he thought, after letting go and panting with both hands resting on his knees.

After examining the apple crates over again, Toby stopped panting, and came up with an idea. He leaned up determinedly.

"That's it!" He said to himself. "I'll give that a try."

Toby searched for anything he can use to carry apples in, until he saw two blues and one purple tarp laying around the barn. He ran over and grabbed as many as he can find. Once he did, he laid them out on the floor across from one another. Toby also found a crowbar which he used to pry open one of the crates with. Applejack as confused to say the least. Then, one by one, Toby grabbed as many apples as he could carry and laid them gently and delicately onto the blue tarp. He went back, grabbed another armful, and placed them on the purple tarp, then the blue one, and then the other blue one again with each trip back and forth. He did this until the crate was empty, and there were enough stacks of apples to practice how many he can carry. Toby wrapped the blue tarp around the apples and hug it over his shoulder like a sack of toys. And to his surprise, it wasn't nearly as heavy as carrying the crates were. But before he did anything with the apples, Toby went over and picked up the empty crate. It was still a little heavy, but just like the apple sacks, it was also doable.

Then he wondered what to do about getting the wooden crate itself up onto the loft. He looked back over to the other apple filled boxes, and smiled when thinking up another idea. Toby dragged and pushed one of the crates towards the ladder, using all his might to get it across the floor until reaching and situating the box in front of the ladder.

"What's that boy up to now?" Applejack whispered to herself.

He pushed another crate towards the ladder, and used all his heft to lift and shove it on top of the other. After panting a bit, Toby went back and pushed another crate against the two stacked by the ladder until his own makeshift stepping ladder was complete. He carried the empty one over and hopped onto the first crate, and then the second. Using his momentum, Toby lifted the empty crate above his head, aimed carefully, and threw it successfully onto the loft. Next, Toby grabbed one of the blue tarp apple sacks and carried it over his shoulder as he climbed the ladder. Once Toby was up on the loft, he dumped all the apples back inside the crate. Toby went back down, grabbed another sack of apples, and proceeded the same routine until the crate was full of apples again. His plan had worked! But he still had four more boxes of apples to go through. Boiling with determination, Toby clenched his fists and jumped back down to work on the others.

'Well I'll be a duck hollerin' like a chicken," Applejack said.

She got up and left the barn to check on the pigs, figuring it'll probably take him some time to complete the job.

It might've taken him a lot longer, but Toby managed to get the job done while on his last trip with the sack of apples. He ran into some difficulties with the last few crates, until he found some empty ones stored around the barn and replaced the ones he's been using for his step ladder with those. Finally, after much strenuous work and continuous trips backwards and forwards, Toby reached and dumped the apples into the crate and sealed them with their lids. At last, all five crates were now stored up on the barns loft.


Just then, Applejack entered the barn while Toby climbed down the ladder. He was sweating from head to toe and panting. He might've ben able to complete the task at hand, but the chore still took a lot out of him. She examined the loft with her arms crossed and began instigating Toby.

"How's it comin'?"

"Oh, hi, Applejack!" He said, almost startled. "I just finished actually. And I'll tell you what, I never knew how much work being a person really is. It was difficult getting those crates up there to begin with."

"So, I see. Interestin' approach you took with the apples there. Any reason you didn't just move the crates with 'em in it?"

Toby became nervous. "Wait, were you watching me this whole time?"

"Just when I entered the barn. Is there somethin' you wouldn't mind tellin' me, Toby?"

"Um… In terms of what?"

Applejack's fingers tapped her crossed arms repeatedly while staring unamused at him. Toby simply kept grinning. He didn't want to admit anything despite his odds. Looks as though she couldn't get Toby to admit his limited strength, something she hoped the test would cave him into doing. But instead, he found an alternative method to storing the apple crates, a method she undoubtedly was surprised Toby figured out that quickly.

Applejack sighed. "Look, Toby, I know you won't admit it, so I'll just go an' spit it out myself."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you can stop pretendin' like yer strong now, 'cause I know you ain't."

Toby's smile went away and his heart was beating fast. Looks like Applejack did know all along.

"Y-You do?" He looked up at the loft. "That's why you had me move these boxes, isn't it?"

"More or less. I was hopin' you'd up and tell me you didn't have it in ya to carry those crates and confess your lack of strength."

Toby hugged his right arm. "So, you really have noticed my struggles after all."

"You weren't exactly doin' the best a job of hidin' it, to be fair." Applejack could sense his distress. "Listen now, don't beat yourself up about it, Sugarcube. There's nothin' fer you to be ashamed of."

"Easy for you to say," he said with downcast eyes.

Applejack approached him. "But, there isn't. I only wish I saw it sooner myself. Just because you're a strong tram engine back on Sodor, doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be as strong a person in our world too."

Surprised at first, Toby then tilted his head.

"Huh?"

Because he thought Applejack had finally figured him out, Toby let his guard down and was about to admit his little white fib. But, it took him a few seconds to realize what Applejack meant, and so he kept on playing along with it despite his overlapping confusion.

"It's like when Princess Twilight visited our world. She's may be a unicorn in Equestria, but her unicorn magic doesn't carry over into our dimension. Even Rainbow Dash had to train Gordon just so he can compete in their big race. Just makes sense, don't it?"

Toby was still mildly confused. "Uh-huh?"

"So, you see where I'm gettin' at Toby? I wouldn't want ya gettin' yourself hurt just by provin' to me or your friends that you're just as strong here. Besides, the way you managed them crates was way more efficient than usin' you're brawn."

He hung his head while still staring at her. "You think so?"

"Ah know so," She said, patting his shoulder. "So don't sweat over not bein' as strong as you are when you're a tram engine. Try an' find another outlet that speaks true to your strengths."

There was a long pause as Toby stared back at her. Applejack still didn't know about his actual fortitude. Toby was both relieved but deeply ashamed. He didn't want to continue his charade, but the relief over Applejack's diminished suspicions had put him at enough ease where revealing what a steam tram can really do didn't seem important to bring up.

"I'll… I'll try, Applejack."

Applejack smiled. "Why don't ya take a break for now. You've more than earned it what with all the work you been doin'."

Toby smiled back, albeit rather meekly. After giving a quick nod of approval, Applejack then left the barn, but not before stopping and shifting back to face Toby again.

"Hey uh, Toby, is it true what Percy said this morin' about you bein' a wise engine?"

"Uh, a-a little," He said, fiddling his fingers. "Sometimes I am, but, Edward's mostly the smarter engine of us."

"Huh. Strong and sensible. Don't see those two words mashed together very often. Even explains that approach you took with the apples. Pretty inventive method, dontcha think?"

Toby chuckled sheepishly. "Yes. Very. That I can agree upon."

"I should hope so. You're the one who came up with it. Anyways, give a holler if you need anythin'. I'll just be doin' other chores 'round the farm."

Toby waved back until Applejack was no longer in sight. After which, Toby lets out an exhausted and frustrated sigh. While he didn't have to worry about Applejack suspecting anything, he was still withholding what being a steam tram is capable of. He thought about telling her, but she seemed so accepting of him at this point already, and what good would telling her do besides make him look like a liar in front of her and his friends, which is the last thing Toby's hoping he can keep avoiding. Despite what Applejack said, Toby still felt a need to prove himself. He knew not to be concerned with looking super strong in front of her, but now that he's a person, maybe he could still explore the untapped protentional his new physical feat has, one that he didn't posses as a tram engine. Maybe there were other ways to prove his strengths.

Then, Toby heard someone whistling and looked to see Big McIntosh passing by the barn while holding four buckets of slop. Toby, getting another idea, ran towards and caught up with Big Mac.


Applejack was in her house when she met Granny Smith sitting in the living room on her rocking chair. She was working on some haymaking with a pile of straw, which she had a bunch of stationed on a stool along with various crafts she completed.

"Whatcha got there, Granny?" Applejack asked.

"Ah've been experimentin' with wheat straw! You wouldn't believe how many things can be made outta hay, Applejack." Granny Smith held up each item she made to her. "Just finished hand craftin' a bunch o' them. Now we got ourselves an extra pillow, a toothbrush, an umbrella, some oven mitts, an' a working banjo!"

Applejack chuckled. "Not sure half of those would actually work if we used em, Granny, but I still like how they turned out."

Granny Smith sighed blissfully and leaned back in her rocking chair. Applejack sat on a seat near her as Granny spoke.

"Ah remember when yer folks used to teach y'all how to make yer own hats. Yer mother preferred traditional stitchin', but yer father knew a thing or two more about haymakin' and thought his kids oughta know as well." Granny slipped a small chuckle as she remembered. "You'd get so frustrated whenever the darn twigs wouldn't line up properly that ye nearly gave up all together a few times."

"I sorta remember that, just not the givin' up part. That doesn't sound like somethin' I'd do."

"Well, o' course, sugar pine! Ye were too stubborn to actually call it quits, so yah kept on tryin' til ye finally crafted yer own straw hat! Must've taken you weeks, but bye golly were you the happiest little basket o' sunshine when ye paraded 'round the house with it on."

Applejack blushed at the thought.

"Almost made yer brother jealous too, 'cause he hadn't mastered haymakin' yet either."

"Huh. I wonder if we still have any of them?" She finally spoke.

"Nah! You kids used to toss 'em aside after findin' somethin' else to do. Specially after it came down to just the lot o' us at Sweet Apple Acres."

"Oh... right," Applejack said, dejectedly.

Then Applejack became lost in thought. Did she really throw away her straw hat after it was only her, Granny Smith, Bic Mac and Apple Bloom at Sweet Apple Acres? Was it out of anger, or a feeling of negligence? Applejack couldn't remember. Now a days, if they had anything inspired by their parents, she'd keep it close to her and the apple family; her light brown, stetson hat being one of them. She clenched and examined her hat, remembering very clearly the time her parents made and gave it for her when she was very little.

Wanting to deter from the thought before getting too emotional, she started thinking about Toby, and how determined he was to show off how strong he can be. Everything she's heard about him through Thomas or any of his friends didn't quite add up how to he'd describe himself. Toby says he's the strongest tram engine on Sodor, Thomas and Percy called him one of the wisest engines out of the bunch, and some of the other engines made remarks about him being weak or slow. Just what exactly was Toby suppose to be? Someone had to be lying. So, she tried piecing together what she's seen in him herself. Toby seemed fairly versatile and knowledgeable when put to work on her farm. He was also friendly, laid back, and a hard, eager worker. If Applejack could see all this in him, why didn't he? Perhaps Toby doesn't really know his own strengths anymore, and feels a need to constantly attest his usefulness.

After a while, Granny Smith had completed her next haymaking craft, and subconsciously ended up making a straw hat. Applejack saw this and a sudden impulse came to being.

"Say, Granny, you wouldn't mind teachin' me how to make another straw hat, would you?"

Granny Smith beamed proudly. "Ah thought you'd never ask, Applejack."


Meanwhile, Toby had asked if he was allowed to accompany Big Mac on his trip to the Apple Farm's big open crop field and help out with anything, even insisting to take charge of the chore, under his supervision of course. Big Mac agreed and took him to the livestock enclosures for a specific job.

Big Mac and Toby met and stood outside the wooden fenced Pig Pen. Toby looked at all the pigs inside. Some wandered the open spaced enclosure while others rolled in mud. Watching the pigs reminded Toby of days he'd visit the farms back on Sodor whenever he'd finish his jobs early. He liked working with animals, so helping out with the Pigs was definitely something Toby knew he could handle.

"So, what would you like me to do, Big Mac?" Toby asked, determinedly.

Big Mac handed him a syringe filled with an aqua colored liquid inside. It had a blunt storage cap at the tip, which was made to dispense liquid as if to directly feed it to the mouth.

"What's this for?"

"Medicine for the pigs," Big Mac said, casually.

Toby examined it. He didn't like the look of it until he saw the tip, and was quickly reassured of its use being harmless.

"More specifically for Irene."

"Which one's Irene?"

Big Mac pointed out to the Pig Pen. The pigs Toby saw were all bright pink, young, cheerful, and energetic. But the one Big Mac pointed at was a larger, older, fatter, and grumpier looking pig. She had a scrunched face and a white coat with brown and black spots. Irene frowned and growled at the two staring at her.

Toby's eyes widened. "That's Irene?"

"Eeyup."

"And you need me to feed her this?" He said, after looking over the syringe.

"Eeyup."

Toby stared at Irene, who kept on giving him the stink eye upon seeing the syringe in his hand. Big Mac proceeded to open the pen's gate and went inside with his buckets of slop.

"I know I said I'd take charge of whatever job you had for me, but, would it be better if maybe you gave Irene the medicine and I feed her afterwards instead?"

Big Mac pondered for a bit then replied. "Nnnope."

Gulping down his worries and fears, Toby wearily followed him in while dodging some of the on coming pigs scurrying by. Taking one of the buckets, Big Mac poured the slop into the trough, and all the piglets gathered and began eating. Irene, slowly but surly, stood on her feet and went over to have her supper. The Piglets took up most of the trough though, so there wasn't much room for her to eat. She eyed Big Mac to supply her own slop at once. He refused, however, and directed her attention to Toby, signifying to take her medicine first before she can eat. Irene shot Toby the meanest glare she'd given anyone. Toby chuckled nervously as he approached her.

"Heh-heh. Uh, hello there, Irene."

A fractious Irene snorted loudly the closer he got. Toby stopped and shook from head to toe.

"A-are you sure you d-don't wanna trade jobs, Big Mac?"

"Nnnope," He said, leaning against the fence.

"Even though you'd do a much better job at it than me?"

Big Mac simply grinned and gave him a thumbs up for encouragement. Toby stared irritably at him, then turned his attention back to Irene. He took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Okay, Toby," He said to himself. "Just remember what Thomas told you; It doesn't matter how big the job is, just set your mind to it, and you can do anything."

Irene snorted again and growled. Toby, wide eyed at first, quickly and determinedly glared back in return with his own piercing stare. To Irene's surprise, Toby positioned himself in front of her at a far distance, and stood with his arms and legs spread out. He peered with sharp, half closed eyes in an intimidating matter. Irene does the same, until both were at a steady western standoff. Big Mac left the pen and stood behind the fence to watch over them and the piglets in a safer spot. Whatever was about to go down, he didn't want to get in their way. Toby gripped the syringe in his hand, Irene pawed the mud with her forefoot. All was quiet, saved for a few crows cawing whilst flying by and the wind breezing pass their faces, lightly brushing Toby's clothes and strings of brown hair hanging out his white beanie with a yellow number seven. A random tumbleweed bounced pass the two as they continued staring into each other's concentrated eyes while waiting for one of them to make the first move.

After much tension and a back and forth stare down, Toby stopped glaring at her and smiled instead.

"Okay, Irene, It's time for your medicine."

Toby made the daring choice of casually approaching her. But as he bent down to meet her, Irene snorted in his face, snootily turned and trotted away from him.

"Well that's just rude."

Irene looked behind and stopped just to snort again before trotting off. Toby began losing patience.

"Come on, Irene! You have to take your medicine or else you'll get sick."

She squealed angrily.

"Okay. If that's how you want it."

Toby then snuck up behind Irene while she pouted in a small ditch of mud. Thinking she wasn't looking, Toby crept up quietly until he was in range. Then, he boldly jumped onto Irene's back. Furious, Irene got up and began bucking and squealing. Toby hung onto Irene for dear life while her feet kicked the air and flung mud everywhere and all over them.

"You got her!" Big Mac shouted. "Now apply the medicine!"

Firmly keeping his hold, Toby tried reaching for Irene's mouth to squeeze the medicine in with the syringe. But every time he did, Irene got angrier and made it impossible to reach by head banging and burying her face into the mud a few times. For a pig in her old age, Irene was a lot stronger and energetic than she appeared. She squealed and squealed some more. But no matter how hard she bucked and rocked, Toby still stayed on. Finally, after being denied dinner and forced to drink some nasty liquid from a stranger no less, Irene had enough.

Irene stopped bucking and charged straight towards the pen's gate. Realizing what was about to happen, Big Mac hurried to the gate before it was too late. Toby still held on as Irene stormed through and busted open the gate with her head. Skidding across the grass, Irene took off in a furious haste while Toby begged and pleaded her to stop.

"No, Irene! Stop! Where are you taking me?!"

Big Mac skidded across the corner and chased after them with flailing arms.

"Nope! Nope! Nope!"

Irene left the open crop field and stormed down the streets towards the Apple Family's house, all while Toby wailed and screamed the faster she ran.

All the while, Applejack and Granny Smith were still working on their straw hat when they heard a strange wailing pass by their house. Applejack got up and looked through their window to see what it was. Eyes widened, she then stepped outside and stood on her porch with her jaw hung.

"What in tarnation?"

There, storming down the streets, was a terrified Toby screaming for help and to stop while riding on top of an angry Irene.

"Toby?!"

Applejack heard Big Mac honking his truck's horn as he pulled up on the drive way. Despite her confusion, she nodded, grabbed her lasso and jumped into the passenger seat as they took off after Toby and Irene.


Irene was a juggernaut of speed as she kept on running down the streets with a frantic Toby trying desperately to keep his hold while seeing if he can calm her a little, with no success at all. Eventually, they found themselves in Canterlot's street markets, where Irene sped passed and even knocked over a few pedestrians walking down the sidewalk. She busted through a class wall conveniently being carried by two handymen, knocked over fruit stands, and even ran into an entire meat store. First entering through the front doors, racing by the kitchen, and then a ventilation room until eventually finding the back door that led her outside again. All the bewildered chefs inside gazed in the direction the crazy boy and his pig went. Next, she ran through traffic lights, which caused some vehicles to swerve out of control and nearly crash into one another.

Meanwhile, James and Rarity were walking down the sidewalk on their way to the Carousel Boutique, when they heard a squealing pig getting closer and closer. What they saw approaching them from a distance to their shock was Toby riding on a runaway pig and speeding right towards the two.

"Toby?" James said, surprised. "What are you doing?!"

"James! Rarity! Help meeee!"

Toby and Irene rushed through Rarity and James, and continued down the sidewalk. Next, they heard Applejack's voice.

"Faster, Big Mac! We're almost gainin' on 'em!"

They spotted her leaning out the passenger seat's window while Big Mac sped down the streets in Toby's direction. Both were overtly confused to say the least. Rarity looked to James, who didn't appear as worried as she did.

He shrugged. "I'm sure they can handle it."

Toby continued wailing and screaming, fearing that he'll never get off safely and remain trapped on this never-ending ride. At last, Applejack and Big Mac caught up with Toby and the Irene, who still didn't show any sign of stopping or running out of breath. They steered close to the sidewalk.

"Don't worry, Toby," Applejack called. "Just hang on a bit longer, we'll get you otta there!"

"Applejack?!"

"Slow her down, Big Mac. Easy now."

Big Mac's truck slowed its speed a tad as Applejack climbed onto the bed liner through the back window.

"Make her stop, please!" Toby cried.

Stomping her left foot on the bed liner's side, Applejack wiped out her lasso, twirled it, and snatched Toby right as he leaned up to try and reach for the truck. She used her geode's magic to strengthen her pull as she yanks him off Irene and held Toby while still lassoed in her rope. Dropping him gently into the trunk and untying him, Applejack then readied her lasso again to snatch Irene next. But with Toby's weight now off her back, Irene had built up more speed and continued sprinting down the street.

"Oh, no ya don't you trouble makin' varmint!" Applejack called.

But as she began twirling her rope, both Applejack and Big Mac realized they, along with Irene, were heading back to their house. Next thing they knew, they were following Irene as she sped past their home and proceeded down the road that led to their crop field and livestock enclosures. Applejack climbed back inside and sat in the passenger seat, sharing looks at Big Mac as both knew what to do next. It was clear they've dealt with this pig's antics before. Toby remained back in the truck, both exhausted and trembled, but relieved to finally be away from Irene once and for all.

"Follow that pig!" Applejack instructed.

The trio rode down the road in hot pursuit of Irene until they reached Sweet Apple Acre's crop fields, where she tiredly and safely ran back to the animal enclosures.


After a while, Irene was now back in her pen with the other pigs, and even took the medicine when Applejack went up and applied it to her. Then she gave Irene some slop to eat. Drenched in mud and squashed fruit, Toby leaned against the fence's split rail, red in the face with shame and embarrassment. Applejack told Big Mac to watch over the pigs while she has a word with Toby. She met and leaned against the fence too with her arms sternly crossed. Toby hugged his, preparing for the worst.

"So what part of take a break for some reason just flew over your skull?" She scolded.

"I just wanted to help," He said, meekly. "I didn't mean to upset Irene. It just sorta got too out of hand. Please, Applejack, you have to understand."

"I'm trying to, Toby, but I just can't figure you out. All I keep seein' is someone tryin' to show off by takin' on tasks that aren't his to beat."

"I was only trying to find an outlet that speaks to my strengths like you said to do."

"I meant as in what makes you special, Toby, not by tryna pull off some crazy stunt."

"Oh."

Gradually, Toby kept on feeling more sillier with each progression of their conversation.

"Why do you keep on goin' out of your way to show how strong you are by puttin' yourself through so many difficult chores?"

"I… I…"

"What? Come on now. Spit it out."

Toby didn't answer, and hung his head while his downcast eyes darted the ground. He couldn't keep this up anymore. Everything he's done to prove himself has ended in failure, and now Applejack was cross with him. What's the point of letting this continue any longer than it should've if he's just going to lose her respect anyways?

"I need to hear somethin' from you that I don't think I quite got back at the barn. Just tell me this right now, straight up. Why,"

"Because I'm Not Strong!" Toby spouted, cutting her off.

There was a strong silence. Applejack and even Big Mac from across the pen stared questionably at him.

"I'm not actually strong as a tram engine."

Applejack raised a brow. "Uh, come again?"

Flustered, Toby inhaled and released. Then he spoke.

"Tram engines aren't fast, or as strong as I made myself out to be. The best I can do anymore is pull my coach, Henrietta, and other light weight trucks."

Applejack rubbed her head. "But, didn't you push Gordon up his hill?"

"…Yes," He answered, shamefully.

"An' don't you haul stone trucks at the Quarry?"

"Yes."

"An' scrap,"

"Yes! Yes!" He said, cutting her off again. "I used to do all sorts of jobs and pull all kinds of trucks."

He went on to explain his reasoning and everything regarding the past couple days. Applejack couldn't believe what she was hearing. Suddenly everything about him made sense to her now. And because it did, she felt like a fool for believing it all, as she recalled the things he said and did to show that he really was as sturdy as he claimed. She pinched the bridge of her nose, then spoke after releasing another frustrated scoff.

"So, you were just makin' it all up from the get go, is that it?"

"You're not mad at me, are you?" Toby asked, shyly.

"Well of course I'm mad, Toby! You lied to me! Did ya really think I wouldn't be your friend if you weren't strong?"

"I mean, well… No."

"Then how could you do that?"

Toby hugged himself tighter, hesitant in his next response as all the harsh remarks the engines would say about him back on Sodor rifled through his memory.

"You don't know what it's like having everyone think you're not really useful. Sure, they may say nice things to cheer me up, but a lot of times, they'll always think the same thing."

"An' what's that?"

"I'm too old."

Saying it out lout struck Toby harder than he anticipated. He didn't like thinking himself as being too old. But that's just the reality he had to face one day. Applejack kinda felt bad, because she knew she couldn't relate. People can always depend on her to get things done and never has she had to prove that she'll always be useful. And because she couldn't relate, Toby's statements did little to cease her anger over his decision to lie about his prowess. Still, Applejack could see Toby was genuinely upset, not only from feeling inoperable, but for covering it up to begin with. They both left each other to their thoughts before Applejack spoke bitterly.

"An' here I though we were actually becomin' friends, or did ya go an' make that up too?"

"No! I do like being your friend, Applejack!"

"Then how come I'm the only one you thought to make up all this nonsense to?"

"Because… No. You'll just think I'm being silly."

She sighed, trying to calm herself. "I promise I won't. You have my word."

Still feeling tentative, Toby could see she really meant it, and began explaining after staring back at her.

"The truth is, I just wanted you to like me. That's why I lied, especially after seeing how dependable and strong you are. You seemed like a very good friend."

Applejack listened while feeling a little flattered despite her anger.

"All my friends have already made their minds up about me. But, if I could've been friends with someone who didn't see me as all that, then maybe just for once, I wouldn't be the weakest, or the slowest, or the oldest engine. I thought, I could be something better here. But it seems I can't even be that."

The more Toby explained, the more Applejack began feeling sorry for him. He just wanted a someone to see his worth and look past his set backs. It still didn't make much sense to her, considering some of his friends do seem to respect Toby greatly, but she could still understand where he's coming from to some compacity. Toby's eyes began welling up. He covered his face, and held back his whimpering.

"Who was I kidding? I'm no use anywhere."

"Hey, now!" Applejack snapped. "Don't go talkin' like that! There's lots of things you can do."

But Toby wouldn't listen. "I should've turned back at the Magic Buffers when I had the chance! Everyone would've been better off if I never followed them to this world!"

Having enough of hearing his nonsense, Applejack rested a hand on Toby's shoulder to catch his attention, and turned his cheek to face her. The two stared into each other's eyes. Toby's still had built up tears while Applejack's appeared more empathetic than it was moments ago.

"I don't wanna hear anymore about you bein' a detriment, got that? What you did was wrong, but just hearin' you carry on like this ain't the way to make up for it."

"I'm so sorry, Applejack," Toby said, repentant. "The last thing I ever wanted was to make you mad. I hope we can start off fresh again. But, I understand if you don't wanna be friends anymore."

Applejack glared at him determinedly, then spoke.

"Come with me."

Confused, Toby wiped away his tears and followed after her as she left the pig pen.


The two teens entered Applejack's house as she directed Toby to the living room and motioned him to have a seat on the sofa. Still confused, Toby sat on the couch while watching Applejack take the pile of wheat straws Granny Smith was working on earlier and placed them on the couch beside Toby. She then sat down with the straw piled up between her and Toby. He gazed at her timidly. Applejack looked back, but with a sterner stare. On top of how Toby managed his job earlier afternoon, she knew just how to show him what his greatest strength was. Then, Applejack began teaching Toby how to craft something out of straw.

At first it was a difficult start. But just as Applejack predicted, Toby caught on quickly and diligently. He even began working on his own without much assistance. She had given him all the instructions and tools needed to assemble his craft. And since he caught on that fast, Applejack went ahead and started making her own wheat hay crafts. The living room might've been a mess with hay stalks and tools lying around, but Toby and Applejack ended up having too much fun to care. There were scissors, measuring tapes, cardboard, access amounts of hay, needles and threads scattered all over the floor. Applejack even whipped out an old sowing machine to help make their crafts more refined. Toby was having a grand time. The haymaking kept him busy and focused, and even forgot that they were in quarrel for a brief period. Applejack was enjoying herself just as much, as she finally felt like she was getting to know the real Toby. Just as she hoped, Applejack saw someone who's initiative, hard working, and smart enough to adapt and catch on the task at hand.

Finally, Toby finished and ended up making a seamless, outback straw hat made of pure wheat hay, with a few unnoticeable creases of string hanging off the brim. Toby beamed the brightest Applejack had seen him genuinely make. As Toby proudly showed off his creation, Applejack offered if she could see it herself. Toby agreed and handed it to her. She stared at it, almost feeling emotional again as images of wearing her own straw hat when she was little rifled through her mind.

"Everything alright, Applejack?" Toby asked, breaking the silence.

Looking back at the straw hat fully reminded Applejack of the day she made it with her parents. She could remember it all clearly again; how proud she was to finally finish it after much difficulty, and the look on her mother and father's face when Applejack proudly wore it around the house. They were just as proud too, but mostly happy to see their daughter beaming with life.

"My Pops used to teach me haymakin' all the time. Didn't see the point of it til I realized how much work it actually took. That's when I knew not to stop until I completed what I set out to do, an' I didn't, an' neither did you."

She got up and stood in front of Toby.

"You're not strong, Toby, not enough to carry anythin' above your limit at least. But you are smart. An' I'd have much rather gotten to know Toby the wise than Toby the average strength tram engine. Because that wasn't who you really were."

Toby hung his head in shame. Applejack wore a warm smile though when he darted up to look at her only to bashfully turn away. Then, she removed Toby's white, number seven beanie and placed the straw hat on top of his head. Toby held the front brim with his fingers and examined it.

"Now, this here's more than just proof of what you're really capable of. It's a skill passed along the Apple Family from generation to generation. An' today, it's passed along to those we consider a very good friend."

"Oh, my. Y-you really care about me that much, Applejack?"

"I care about what makes you the real deal. An' if this here's what gets ya to show off who you really are, that bein' a regular ol' tram engine, then yes. Guess you can say I do."

Toby felt like welling for a completely different reason now. He almost couldn't quite take it all in. All this time, she was trying to get Toby to embrace who he really is and feel proud of it. The apple crates weren't just to get him to confess his lies, they showcased what really made him special over the stronger and faster engines.

"Thank you very much, Applejack. Now I wish I'd known to just be honest from the start before making up all that silly nonsense to impress you."

Applejack held out her hand for Toby to take. Staring at it then back at her proud, beaming smile, Toby beamed in return, and took her hand as she pulled him off the couch and on his feet.

"Just remember to be honest with yourself first and then you'll know from the start. Be happy with who ya are, an' be the best at what you can achieve."

Toby kept clutching the brim of his straw hat, deeply proud of his work now that he knew what it meant to himself and also his new friend Applejack.


Late in the afternoon, as the sun was setting in the distance, Toby and Applejack were having a break from work. They sat on top the roof of Granny Smith's old pick up truck and stared out into the sun with bottles of juice in hand.

"Today certainty was something, wasn't it?" Toby said, reflectively.

"Still regret followin' your friends here?" Applejack asked, cheekily.

Toby happily shook his head. "Although, it won't be long until I have to follow them back home soon."

"Well, I suppose it was only a matter of time. But even so, we'll surely miss havin' y'all 'round."

Feeling made Toby upset the more he thought about it.

"We won't be able to see each other anymore being so far away."

"I know… It'll be difficult to part ways, sure. But, we just gotta git'er done." She turned away somberly and whispered to herself. "No matter how hard it'll hurt."

Like most of the other Engines, Toby admittedly liked being with their new friends at Canterlot High. The thought of them having to go back to Sodor soon broke their hearts a little, especially Toby's, who now felt robbed of cementing his friendship with Applejack now that he didn't have to play up his fortitude. The two continued staring at the sun setting beyond the suburban houses, both thinking deeply about their day and the days they'll have a head of them.

"You must really miss your parents," Toby commented out of nowhere.

Shocked at first, Applejack paused to reflect. Thinking about them always puts her into a deep thought.

"Well, you know what they say; One farmer's sunset, is another one's dawn. But, so long as you keep carryin' that there hat, a part of my folks will always be with us. Both on top here, and on top there."

Applejack gripped her stetson hat then playfully tugged the brim of Toby's to cover his face. Toby nudged it back up and grinned. The two shared a laugh before taking sips of their juice.

"Maybe aspects of my greatest strengths do carry over into your world, if anythin' at all." Toby commented.

"Got that right. Why I'd reckon you're just as wise here as you probably are in Sodor even."

"You really think so?"

"Ah know so, and so do your friends." Applejack sighed, happily, "Face it, Toby, you can disguise it like you've been doin' these past coupla days, but even I have to look myself in the mirror and say with upmost clarity, 'I'm too honest of an apple to deny what makes me, well, me'."

Toby looked at her thoughtfully.

"You know just what to do even when the odds are grim. It don't take you long to figure out the right approach and face that challenge head on." Applejack faced him. "That, sugarcube, is your greatest strength."

All he could do was grin with upmost bliss. Applejack did the same.

"An' dontcha forget it, ya hear?"

"Never."

As both heads laid against one another's, Applejack wrapped her arm around Toby while they continued stating out into the sun completely setting behind the suburban houses, and ending off on a perfect day.

"Thank you, Toby. Already the world's much nicer whenever I see you."


To Be Continued.