• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 11,775 Views, 336 Comments

Halo ODST: Feet First Into Equestria - DontBeThatGuy



A Halo Orbital Drop Shock Trooper's failed entry lands him in Equestria

  • ...
25
 336
 11,775

Truth and Reconciliation

Equestrian secret service swarmed the forest, pushing ponies away from their normal routine into different routes. Everypony was curious as to what the purpose of the swarm of black suit and sunglasses was concealing, but none could crane their neck enough to look through the dense forest and into the quarantined area. A few saw scorch marks littering the ground, but couldn’t draw conclusions from such a small sampling of abnormalities within the forest. For all they knew, scorches in the forest could be commonplace. A few became even more curious as Celestia herself escorted a yellow Pegasus and purple Unicorn inside. A gathering of three ponies—a white unicorn, orange earth pony, and pink earth pony—talked in low tones directly outside the perimeter. A few curious souls approached, asking them if they knew anything about what happened inside. All three shook their heads, mumbling something about ‘being left in the dark.’


“What’s taking them so long?” Rarity wondered aloud.

“I don’t know, I hope they’re ok.” Pinkie said.

“If only we had shown up a few moments earlier, we would have been able to see what happened before they locked down the area. Dash is lucky she can fly so fast.” Almost on que, Rainbow Dash came emerged from the perimeter, face drawn into a tight grimace. She didn’t even slow down as she kept up her pace past the gathering of her friends.

“Rainbow Dash, what happened?” The trio mobbed Dash, blocking her exit.

“Not now. Alcohol first, questions later.” She broke through the three of them with a push, making a beeline for Vinyl Scratch’s club. The trio followed, barely containing their barrage of questions.

Dash barged past the bouncer and all of her normal club friends without even a ‘hello’ as a common courtesy. She elbowed ponies out of the way to get to the bar as rapidly as possible.

“Applejack Daniels. Now.” The bartender looked at her quizzically, but nonetheless complied. They knew who she was, and she had never ordered strong drinks before. She usually came here to socialize, hang out with friends, and had stated on many occasions that she preferred to remember the activities of the night before. This abrupt change was—unusual. After gulping down the shot, she was immediately assaulted by her friends by a barrage of questions.

“What happened?”

“Are you ok?”

“Is Jennings ok?”

“Did somepony die?”

“Whose blood is on your hooves?” Dash looked down at her hooves, noting in surprise that they were indeed smeared with a deep crimson. She started in surprise, struggling to wipe them off on anything. Pinkie eventually couldn’t bear anymore, and grabbed Dash’s head to get her attention.

“Dash! What happened?”

“I can’t even describe it, it was that bad.”

“Did somepony die?” Rarity asked, bracing herself for what was coming.

“Did somepony die? Everypony died! Over 50 Royal Guards walked in, and only one is left! So yeah, somepony died.”

“So whose blood is that? Are you ok?”

“I’m fine, I have no idea whose it is. There was blood everywhere. Somepony’s head was split open like a melon, all the brains were leaking out of it. And ponies were burnt horribly, their skin fused to shrubs if they weren’t lucky enough to be burnt to a crisp immediately. Oh Celestia, that smell. And the sounds! They didn’t all die immediately! If I knew first aid, I could have saved one or two of them! AJ, I could have saved them but instead I watched them die!” Rainbow Dash’s hooves were smashed against her skull, trying to keep the memories at bay. Her eyes were fused shut, trying to force back the images.

“Easy, hon. It’s not your fault.”

“They lay there screaming in agony, and I did nothing! How is that not my fault?”

“Look sugarcube, I imagine this isn’t the easiest thing you’ve ever dealt with before, but you’ll pull through.”

“Oh yeah? And what bountiful experience do you have witnessing the murder of 50 ponies? I slipped on somepony’s intestines, for Celestia’s sake!”

“When was the last time you watched from a carriage as your parents were eaten alive by a pack of Timberwolves, huh? Do you remember that? I do. I was eight.”

“Well, no I uh-”

“I didn’t see quite as many ponies die as you did, but I’ve worked through what you’re going through now. And let me tell you, it gets worse before it gets easier.”

“Thanks, AJ. You’re a real support.”

“Anytime,” she said with a smirk.

“Yo, what is up my ponies? Hey ‘sup Dash? You look like shit, you ok?” Vinyl Scratch’s methods of saying ‘hello’ certainly could use some finesse.

“Yeah, I’m fine Vinyl. You good?” Dash’s fake smile wasn’t fooling anypony.

“Nah, nah. What’s really goin’ on?”

“Rainbow Dash has suffered through a—new experience—of late.” Rarity searched for the most obtuse term she could think of, hoping Vinyl wouldn’t investigate further. She obviously did not know the DJ well enough.

“What’s the matter? Finally had her first way with a gifted stallion—if you catch my drift,” she elbowed Rarity, winking. Rarity rolled her eyes.

“That’s not what I meant at all. Nothing quite so commonplace.”

“Oh, that’s commonplace? I think I should stop by your house more often. So you get it every night, then?”

“What? No, that’s not what I meant at all, I-”

“Ah, I’m just messin’ with ya. I know you don’t get out that much.” Rarity’s eyes narrowed in anger.

“Are you saying I’m a recluse?”

“Nah, nah. I’m just sayin’ you don’t come around here very often. In fact, I don’t think I’ve seen you here once. Name’s Vinyl, Vinyl Scratch. I run this place. Pleased to meet you,” she stuck a hoof.

“Rarity,” she said in return, slight disdain tainting the edge of her voice. She shook hooves with the rather obnoxiously outgoing mare. “I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you around once or twice.”

“Maybe, I don’t get out much during the day. I prefer to sleep through the day so I can DJ all night. Or most of the night. Then I’ll spend the rest of the night getting well acquainted with somepony who’s well-endowed. Really well acquainted.” She waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

“Yes, I gathered what you meant without you having to repeat it.”

“So, Rarity. What’d you do to Dash here, that makes her look like shit? Was it roofies?”

“Pardon?”

“You know, roofies! Trying to get in with Dash, if you-”

“Yes, I get what you’re saying! And no, that’s not why she is looking sub-par.”

“So you did roofie her, and it hasn’t kicked in yet?”

“What? No, I-” Pinkie couldn’t take it any longer. She burst out laughing at how well Vinyl was messing with Rarity. Vinyl was a pretty good prankster, Pinkie did have to admit. Whenever there were lots of pranks at loud parties, it was a safe bet that Pinkie and Vinyl had teamed up to create a master plan.

“Oh Vinyl! Hee-hee! Give it a rest, and just let her talk!” Rarity suddenly realized what Vinyl was doing.

“Oh, ha-ha,” she said in a mocking tone. “You ponies are honestly so immature sometimes!”

“I’m sorry Rarity, I couldn’t help myself. We’re cool, right?” She offered her hoof a second time. Rarity sighed.

“Yes, Vinyl. ‘We’re cool,’” she said, slightly mocking Vinyl with the tone of her voice. Nevertheless, she returned the hoof bump.

“Oh man, that was hilarious!” Dash looked like she was about to bust a gut from restrained laughter.

“Hey, I’m glad I was able to cheer you up a bit. So seriously, what’s going on?” Vinyl said.

“Oh it’s nuthin’!” Applejack interrupted.

“Like hell it is,” Vinyl turned her attention to Dash.

“It’s… complicated.”

“Stallions? I hear ya. That’s why I like to keep it simple. Two, maybe three nights tops.”

“No, nothing like that.”

“Well then what? It’s not like there’s been any mass-murdering around here.” The four ponies stayed silent, eyes downcast. “You’re shitting me.”

“Not murder, but let’s just say Equestria may be at war now. And I was at the first battlefield.” Rainbow Dash stopped to gulp down another shot.

“Are you sure you want to discuss this in full view of everypony?” Vinyl said, glancing furtively around.

“I don’t want to talk about it at all, I just want to forget for now.” The bartender poured her another shot.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~


“Are you feeling better?” Fluttershy asked timidly, tying off the bandage on Shining Armor’s wounds.

“No.” Shining Armor stared vacantly into the distance.

“Is there anything else you want me to get for you?”

“No.” Twilight and Cadence stood off to the side of Shining, unsure what to do or say. They had both known him forever, but now he was… different. Off, somehow. They had asked Jennings what to do, and how to help Shining, but his only response was ‘Shining will be fine, just give him time.’ This answer infuriated the ponies. How could he be so callous? With all this death and destruction, how could he ignore the suffering of a fellow soldier?

Twilight eyed Jennings angrily as he moved about the scene, directing the secret service, telling the ponies who to do what job, and what was the best way to complete it. Look at that jerk, He lacked any sympathy. He’s just doing his thing, letting everypony else suffer for his mistakes. He brought these Covenant here, and look at what they did!

“Shining, are you ok?” Cadence once again tried to break through the wall he was putting up. She scooted closer to him, putting a hoof around his neck.

“I’m fine. Get Jennings.”

“Is there anything I can do? Jennings doesn’t seem to want to help.”

“Yes he does, he just understands. Get Jennings.” Cadence looked up at Twilight with a pleading expression.

“Shining, we’d like to understand, can you just explain it to us?” Twilight tried.

“No! Jennings was right, I didn’t understand. I’d never been there. Now I have, and now I do. Get Jennings!” Twilight visibly flinched, conflicted between her loyalty to her BBBFF, and her hatred for this human who had uprooted their lives and in general caused chaos for everypony.

“Fine,” she eventually conceded, albeit resentfully. She returned a few minutes later with the human in tow, still wearing the suit Rarity had given him; although now it was a blood-soaked tattered mess.

“Let me guess, you keep running it over in your head trying to figure out what you did wrong, also stuck on the deaths of your friends?” Shining nodded. “Can’t get that death of the Rookie out of your mind?” Shining shook his head.

“Well, you have to process everything eventually. You’ve got two fine ladies over here who want to help. Just talk to them about the dead, specifically the good memories you have with them. Then if you can, talk about the battle. Admit the fear you felt. Eventually, it gets easier to bare, but it never goes away.” Shining nodded his head, grasping his head in his hooves, keeping his eyes downcast as his wife and sister moved closer to help.

Jennings moved away from the group therapy, and towards the group of Equestrian brass that was surveying the battlefield.

“It’s a disgrace,” one of the generals said.

“An embarrassment for all Equestrian forces.”

“I think they did fairly well, considering what they were up against,” Jennings chimed in.

“Nopony asked you, human.” Another said with disdain.

“Why the hostility? I’m saying your troops performed admirably.”

“I don’t need your condescending arrogance! You want to set up a camp to train others in your so-called ‘superior fighting ability.’ Well your fighting ability didn’t do much to help 50 of Equestria’s finest.”

“I saved as many as I could. Besides, I didn’t show up for a while.”

“Yes, your tardiness will come under investigation shortly. In the meantime, your training camp will go indefinitely on hiatus,”

“You can’t be serious. You need more soldiers trained by me now more than ever! You can see how ineffective your men where!”

“I thought you just said they performed well.”

“And they did, given their armament. But they were woefully outgunned. I can train your troops and give you some of my weaponry to replicate. Give me a month or two, and you’ll have the finest soldiers Equestria has ever seen!”

“Absolutely not, we won’t have your kind polluting our military.”

“How about this, I train some of your drill sergeants, and as a team we work together to train up your armed forces.”

“Again, no! Do you not understand the term ‘no?’”

“Frankly, I don’t believe in it. Anything can be accomplished given the right materials.”

“And what materials might those be?”

“Troops, supplies, and morale. Key among those is morale. And once word spreads of this attack, I’m sure there will be plenty of morale.”

“Oh, word of this will not spread. I’ll make sure of it.”

“What?”

“You heard me, I can’t allow such tragedies as this to be commonplace knowledge.”

“Why not, we learn the most from our mistakes.”

“Well, we don’t tolerate mistakes! Perfection is what we demand of our military!” Jennings was getting irate, and knew he was going to cross a line with his next comment, but he didn’t care. He was about to live the dream of every grunt. He was finally getting a chance to tell his commander to his face that he is in fact a complete and utter moron. For most it never happens but sometimes when the stars and the planets align in glorious harmony one grunt is offered the chance that all wish for. And it is glorious.

“And you can see that works so well for you,” he said, gesturing with an open palm behind him.

“Why you little-”

“Allow me to show you how you’re perfectionist ideals works when encountering an actual enemy. How many died? 49? 50? I hope those deaths don’t mar your record. God forbid that a commander cares more for his troops then he does for his personal record.” The General’s eyes would have popped out of their sockets in rage had Celestia not arrived.

“Gentlemen, please be civil. Jennings, was that called for?” Celestia turned her attention to the human.

“Well… no. But they’re planning on canceling my training program because… I don’t even know why. It seems like they just don’t like the idea of a human being better prepared then they are.” Why did he sense that conversation with to Celestia was like talking to a parent? He always felt so child-like in her presence.

“And why do you want to cancel the training that Jennings is offering us?”

“Well, Princess, because we don’t feel its right to respond to this tragedy by going to the alien that brought this plague upon us.” Jennings observed that apparently everybody felt that way, as the general seemed to shrink down upon seeing the Princess again.

“Even though his tactics and weapons have proved far more effective than our own?”

“Well, yeah. I mean, yes ma’am. It’s just that we—the generals—don’t think it’s a good idea, that’s all.” He gave a sheepish grin.

“You have to set up the camp. It will benefit us in the long run. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to prepare myself for the press release.”

“Press… release?” The General’s jaw dropped.

“Well, that whole conversation worked out well for you,” Jennings commented before walking away.



A/N: I was looking through previous chapters to make sure I was referencing the right thing, and I gotta say something. The first few chapters suck! A lot! Actually, most of them do. Then again, I barely have enough time to write them, let alone sit down and edit them to the point where everything is pristine and the way I’d prefer it. The curse of having a 20 credit hour semester.

Also, I apologize for the tardiness of the chapter. I blame the school load + sinus infection.