• Published 10th Nov 2017
  • 345 Views, 6 Comments

Through the soul of friendship - ShieldStar



Reed is an avid spelunker in his free time, but lately the dark things that have plagued him all his life have been growing stronger, and now threaten his daily life.

  • ...
 6
 345

Chapter 3

Through the soul of friendship

Fanfication by ShieldStar

3

Reed rolled hitting wildly. The Shadow Nightmare fell off as Reed regained his feet. As soon as he was up three more Shadows pounced. Reed jumped back readying a flare and a fighting stance. The sound of galloping hooves and shouts grew more and more distant. Reed would stay and cover their retreat, well at least that's what he planned. His glow stick had long sense gone out and the monsters seemed to shun light. Reed struck the flare alight the red flame hot and bright. Hisses and screams of pain surrounded him. One leaped at him trying to get at him as well as the light. Finally getting a good look at what was attacking him Reed knew he'd have nightmares.

The thing looked half dead and half mutant wolf. Black eye-gore leaked from its eye sockets. Its jaws extended all the way back to the back of the things head. The ears looked like a bats but sharp spikes extended from the top. Its legs were skeletal, wreathed in black flames and tipped with long wicked looking claws. Black spines and flames covered its body. Finally the tail it looked like a long spiked whip, it also was wreathed in black flame in addition to a black liquid that dripped.

Reed ducked and struck out with the flare. The monster danced away, a black cloud like a cloak following.

Three more times others like the first tried. Giving Reed more claw marks.

"Screw this." Hoping the lead he had given the ponies was big enough Reed turned and ran after them.

FlutterShy was tiered. When the beast had finally dropped her she almost froze because she was so scared. Then she saw the city guard and the promise of safety kept her running. Right now she was happy to be inside the city walls and she and Twilight where able to catch their breathe.

"Twilight are you all right?" FlutterShy looked up and saw Princess Celestia.

"Yes... Princess... We're.... Fine." Panted Twilight.

"Halt that far enough! Hey! I said stop! What the-" One of the guards shouted.

"Get inside the walls! Go! Hurry their not far behind!" Said a voice like gravel.

"What the heck is that thing?!" Another guard shouted.

"MOVE NOW!" The voice roared.

The gates opened swiftly and the two guards entered along with the monster bloodied and tiered. The gates closed as fast as they had opened and the shadow nightmares crashed against the gate seeking a meal, to no avail. The monster leaned on a wall panting he looked ready to pass out. The pack on its back didn't look light either. A few guards surrounded the thing.

"Put your weapons on the ground and stand against the wall."

The monster pull out a knife and put it on the ground. Then stood by the wall, despite the axe hanging off its belt.

"All your weapons." The guard said.

"I don't have any more."

"What about the axe on your belt?"

"Oh that.... That's not... A weapon ...that's a ...climbing tool." The monster said still panting and starting to sway.

"Take it off any way."

The monster took it off when suddenly one of the pack's straps broke. Off balance the beast stumbled to the left towards a few of the guards. Panicked by this sudden movement they struck out. While the guards' aim was wild and didn't hit the monster. The unicorn Sargent's aim was true. Two stunning spells flew from his horn. One hit the monster's exposed side. The second hit pack just in front of it. An electric crack and boom sent the monster into the wall witch he bounced off and was sent flying over the guards and down the street. Towards the princess.

-

Reed hurt, bad. This hurt gave a whole new level of meaning to the word. "Ow." He said, stupidly.

Reed thought he heard voices but the ring in his ears was too loud. Reed opened his eyes to see what happened. A white horse stood on his right while the loud pony that shot him was quietly speaking.

"How rude." He mumbled.

Reed's left side really hurt just then and he tried to hold his right hand to it but he couldn't, something heavy was pinning it to the ground. Reed looked down and saw one of the white horse's hooves on his wrist. Reed looked up to the horse, it was still talking to the loud pony. He looked down at his left side.

".....probably need a doctor." Reed reached for his first aid kit. Where was it again? And why wouldn't his right arm move? Reed looked back to his right. 'Oh that's right stupid horse is standing on it.' Reed thought. Looking back up Reed saw, black?

'What?' Was the last thought he had.

-

FlutterShy saw the thing pass out and it would probably die if it didn't get to a hospital soon.

"Um, excuse me."

Celestia held up a hoof to the Sargent, "yes, FlutterShy?" Celestia asked kindly.

"Eep. Um, the creature could die if, um, it doesn't get, um medical help soon" the last word was said in a squeak.

"Oh, my. FlutterShy could you and Twilight go with it and explain to the palace doctors what happened."

"Oh. O-of course."

"Thank you FlutterShy." With a flash Celestia teleported them to the palace infirmary.

Author's Note:

Hello! Third Chapter is up! Tell me what you think and if you spot typos!