• Published 10th Nov 2017
  • 345 Views, 6 Comments

Through the soul of friendship - ShieldStar



Reed is an avid spelunker in his free time, but lately the dark things that have plagued him all his life have been growing stronger, and now threaten his daily life.

  • ...
 6
 345

Chapter 1

Through the soul of friendship

Fan fiction by ShieldStar

1

Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy were walking on the out skirts on Canterlot. Making their way back from a research trip / picnic. The sun was setting and from the mountain side path the view was spectacular. The path widened to an unused road up ahead. The road passed behind a water fall, which gave Canterlot its water, and continued down in to a small stretch of forest before ending at the north gates of Canterlot.

"Oh I do hope it's still too early for any of the wildlife." Twilight said to her companion.

"What do you mean Twilight? I'd like to see a few squirrels,

If that's alright."

"Its fine Fluttershy, but the squirrels isn't what I'm worried about."

They had entered the forest and the fading light made its presence known. Twilight had to light her horn to provide sufficient light to see by. Something sifted off to their left.

"RUN!" Twilight screamed.

And they were galloping as fast as they could to the northern gates. As something growled and crashed after them.

Princess Celestia eagerly waited for Twilight's return. Twilight had come accost a reference to a passage to another world. Although Celestia had also know about the rumored other world she had never had the time to go and investigate for her-self. When Twilight had wrote her about it and guessed that it was in the mountains north of Canterlot. Celestia had invited her to stay and conducted further research. That was three days ago. This morning Twilight had said she was going out to fallow a lead. Celestia told her to bring a friend that was good with animals just in case they ran into something. So now the Princess waited for her student and what she had found out.

Little did she know that the other side would find her student first.

-

Reed was tiered, but happy and excited. The hike up was hard, he had finally reached the cave and had been exploring for the last six hours. There were no stalagmites or stalactites in the cave witch meant that the cave had been made by water flowing through. That was about the extent of Reed’s knowledge. When he had left it was seven in the morning, and he had smashed his watch on a rock weeks ago and hadn't gotten another yet. Judging by his stomach he guess it was about lunch time.

An hour later after eating a boring lunch and exploring more Reed came to a small waterfall, which covered the tunnel in front of him. Running low on water he pulled his empty water bottle and went to fill it, planning to use the water purifier kit after. Two steps from the flow of water he tripped and fell though the waterfall. He landed in the cave’s underground river and was swept away. Slamming in to the walls as the river flowed faster and faster. He fought to keep his head above water catching glimpses of the next approaching waterfall. Reed pulled the climbing axe from his belt and at the last moment was able to stop himself. Holding on tight he felt for any kind of ledge to climb on to. His light barely glowed and he wished he'd done a better job water proofing it. There! The ledge was just at the tips of his fingers. Grunting he pulled himself up by his climbing axe and finally on to the ledge. He lay there for a while, the climbing axe loose in his grasp. When Reed finally recovered he pulled out an emergence yellow glow stick by the light of his dim headlamp. With a crack and a few shakes the tunnel he was now in was bright enough to see in. Not wanting to swim back, not that he could, Reed decided to follow the tunnel which seemed to follow the river. Remembering what his teacher had once told him, ' if you are ever lost find a river or stream and follow it till you find civilization again.' So that's what he did.

About an hour later the tunnel forked. To the right the path continued to follow the river, to the left Reed saw what looked like day light. He went left, eager to see the sky.

-

The sky was beautiful. The sun was setting and there was a soft breeze. The birds sang and the clouds were painted pinks and purples. The tunnel had come out to a ledge and what looked like a forgotten path enclosed by tall trees and brush. He could hear the water fall far to his right hand, was that voices? Two voices a long with two sets of horse hooves wasn't that far off. But the voices sounded off not quite normal. The voices flowed more than they were said. The voices seemed to be coming from farther down the path so Reed move towards them. He couldn't hear what they were saying due to the distance. After a while the sun was almost gone and the forest grew eerily quiet. Shapes and shadows seemed to move of their own accord. Ahead a violet light glowed, his own yellow light barely putting out any to see by. All the shapes seemed to move faster and converge on the violet light.

"Run!" One of the voices scream, and the sound of galloping hooves could be heard. A growls come from every direction and close in quickly. Reed toke off at a full out sprint, and was glad that he placed third in most of his track meets.

Author's Note:

Hello! First chapter is up! Tell me what you think and if you spot typos!