• Published 10th Nov 2017
  • 346 Views, 6 Comments

Through the soul of friendship - ShieldStar



Reed is an avid spelunker in his free time, but lately the dark things that have plagued him all his life have been growing stronger, and now threaten his daily life.

  • ...
 6
 346

Chapter 16

Author's Note:

Chapter 16 is up! Hope you all enjoy it, let me know if you spot any typos!

Through the soul of friendship
Fan Fiction by ShieldStar
16

Twilight Sparkle felt, great. She looked her around and found that she was in the medical wing of the palace. ‘Why am I here?’ She noticed Princess Celestia staring out the window, she looked, odd.

“Princess?” Twilight asked, her throat a little dry. Celestia slowly turned to look at her. Her Face was terror, from the side Celestia’s face looked normal, but when she face Twilight.

“Yes, MY little pony?” Twilight wanted to scream. “What’s WRONG Twilight?” as Celestia stepped closer Twilight did scream. Celestia only smiled, long sharp teeth glinting, skin cracking and flaking before twilight’s eyes. Thick Black blood started to trickle then poured from the thing’s eyes and mouth. “My Dear faithful student? What is so so sssssooooooo, wrong?” her voice flexed in pitch as she spoke, first monstrously deep, then foalishly high.

Solus Solus Solus solus. The word repeated over and over, echoing from nowhere. Twilight threw herself away from the thing that had once been her princess and teacher, or at least she tried. Clawed hands grabbed her and pull her back to the bed, holding her forcing her to watch the thing slowly, so very slowly step towards her. The eyes were pools of black, but for a prick of light the color of hot metal. The horn had crumbled and the ears had become no more than holes. The skin had decaid to the smallest of torn remnants leaving the muscles exposed and dripping black. The wings had fallen off leaving arms ending in razor sharp spines. “Heh heh heh heh,” it panted, “such nice-.”

It never finished, a searing aura smashed into it. Grabbed it and stuffed it in on its self, it screamed so loud that it felt like Twilight’s ear drums were being use in a march.The aura seemingly pulled a sword from nowhere and slash the vile creature, each cut causing it to become non-corporeal. The thing roared and lunged at the bright aura, and bit it hard on the shoulder, “At Last your MIIINE!!!” With a sharp grunt the aura cut the thing’s head off, and brushed the shadow off its self. Then the aura spoke, but Twilight couldn’t understand anything said, to her is sounded like music, beautiful, warm, colorful, kind, comforting and complicated.Then the aura raised its hand and the thing was burned away in a cold light. The aura turned and faced Twilight.

“Thak sen solus, dow dee forthrum.”
And Twilight awoke.

Reed ran after the guard, as he led them back to Twilight’s room. They slowed as they arrived and reed slowly opened the door. Twilight was panting and writhing trying to throw herself off the bed, Princess Celestia’s magic was preventing this though, as she tried to calm the panicked pony.

“Forthrum sec dow, dec doo sen solus faw!” Twilight stopped and relaxed a little, “Princess please release your magic.” Celestia complied and Twilight relaxed a little more. “Thec thow Forthrum?” Twilight nodded and Reed moved to her, “Astown,” Twilight lay back and closed her eyes. Reed placed his hands on her forehead and chest, “Hows-hesh, thec-in dow-gen.” there was a pulse of light and Reed removed his hands. “Twilight? How do you feel?” Reed asked slowly, kneeling next to the bed.

“What is Solus?” she asked. Reed flinched slightly at the question.

“It’s a powerful, dangerous, thing.”

“Why did I keep hearing it?”

“I’m not sure.”

Twilight sighed, “Is it over?”

“Yes.” Twilight opened her eyes and looked around the room, Reed looked too. Princess Celestia stood by the window looking scared, while the other’s stood by the door looking dumfounded.

“Hello everypony, I’m so glad you’re here. I missed you.”

Princess Luna moved to her sister, and laid a wing over her back. “We are also glad that you are better, Twilight Sparkle.”

“I’m confused.” Fluttershy said laying down and covering her head with her fore hooves.The others just nodded.

“What in the hay happened to y’all?” Twilight cringed at AJ’s question and the memories she had unlocked the previous night.

“She learned something she shouldn’t have.” Reed answered, the friends just looked at each other. Reed sighed, “She searched for a thing called Solus.”

“Um, what is it, if you don’t mind, that is.” Fluttershy asked from her place on the floor.

“I do mind,” Reed said gruffly, then checked his tone. “But I will tell you, so you don’t go looking for it on your own. It is safer this way. Solus, is best described in a poem, but the poem only covers the kindest of lairs. Let that be a warning to all not to dig any deeper.” Reed sat and indicated the others should do the same.

“Whoshla,” then he began.

___(poem by Nicholas VanDerSchouw)___

“Solus

What are these beings,

Whose midst I stand?

They look like me,

But are as empty as sand.

I look in their face,

But see not a soul.

I look at her lace,

And know not what she stole.

What is a friend, a person I know?

But what makes them different than the rest,

Whose midst I stand.

Who is a family, the ones I know?

What makes a person of gentle hand?

What is a lover, the one I know the best?

Finished in life and here I stand,

Alone in the world,

Amidst the shifting sand.” They sat quietly for a while. Twilight gave a shudder. The other glanced at her with worry.

“But what does it mean?” Rainbow asked.

“It means that to be solus is to be soul less, to have no love.” Twilight said in a trembling voice.

“That’s right, but Solus its self is much more and much worse. For your safety PLEASE do not pursue further knowledge. Solus is a living thing and just by looking for it-“

“It will find you and… and … and.” But twilight couldn’t finish, so great was her terror.

“And devour every aspect of you, slowly killing you. You see Solus was once a kind loving being, but over time, the darkness it fought consumed it. Over millions of years Solus was alone and now, well it is the evilest thing I have meet.” Reed finished. There was a silence for a while as all in the room tried to contemplate such a being. Twilight shivered a little at the memory of the thing she had seen when she had first awoken.

“Twili-, My student, are you sure you are okay?” Princess Celestia ask taking a hesitant step forward.

“Oh Celestia it was so scary!” Twilight cried. The Princess closed the distance and hugged her.

At the far reaches of Equestria an Unnaturally Dark storm front roiled and red lightning cracked the sky, “Mine mine mine at last!” Solus Thundered.