• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 1,501 Views, 14 Comments

Spike's Journey as a Fossil Fighter - Darth Severus



Spike's always loved dinosaurs. He even went to school to learn more about them. When he's turned 10 years old, he can officially become a Fossil Fighter! This is the start of his journey.

  • ...
6
 14
 1,501

Spike's Graduation Part 2: The Battle Begins

Spike had woken up early in the morning on the day of his battle test. He decided to go back to the Test Dig Site to see if he could find other fossil parts for his three Vivosaurs. The more parts a Vivosaur had, the stronger it was. He was able to find the body fossils for Stego and Dimetro, but Brachio turned out to be much harder. The professor said Brachio fossils were fairly rare in the dig site, so he decided he'd dug up enough for now. He headed towards the Fossil Stadium and was met with a very familiar voice that said, "Didn't think I'd miss my little brother's big day, did you?"

Spike turned towards the voice and saw Twilight, his older sister, as well as his brother Shining Armor, his sister in-law Cadence, his niece Flurry Heart, his parents, and Twilight's friends, who were all skilled Fossil Fighters. Twilight was a strategical fighter, she always had one Vivosaur of each element, Fire, Earth, Water, Air, and Neutral, so she could adapt to any situation. Rarity, Spike's long-time crush, used very elegant, but equally fierce Vivosaurs. Rainbow Dash specialized in fast Vivosaurs. Her Vivosaurs weren't especially powerful, but they made up for what they lacked in strength with their incredible speed and agility. Fluttershy didn't particularly like Fossil Battles, but that didn't mean she wasn't good at them. Her relationship with her Vivosaurs was so good, she could give them commands without even speaking. Applejack was known to use strong and tough Vivosaurs that could take hits and deal their own blows. And finally, Pinkie Pie was very erratic and used Vivosaurs that had skills that could mess with the opponent's strategy, no two battles with Pinkie Pie were ever the same. His older brother Shining Armor was actually a Gym Leader on Caritico Island. He specialized in Neutral Vivosaurs. He hoped he could challenge his gym when he got strong enough.

Spike smiled and said, "I'm glad you guys are here. I'm excited for my Battle Test. This is my first real Fossil Battle. I've done good in the simulations, but this isn't a simulation. If I lose, I don't graduate."

The professor walked over to the group and said, "Ahem, I hate to break up the reunion, but it's time for your test Mr. Drake, Ms. Sapphire has already passed hers, and you're up next."

Spike smiled and said to himself, "So Ember passed, and now it's my turn." he walked through the doors into the arena and was met with the Exam Droid. Exam Droids were different for each student, so they couldn't use other students' strategies.

The announcer said, "The next student, Spike Drake has entered the arena! Let the Fossil Battle begin!"

The Exam Droid's mouth opened and spat out three Dino Medals, which materialized into a Dilopho, an M-Raptor, and a Tro. These Vivosaurs were small, and had a size disadvantage against Brachio and Stego. He threw his three Dino Medals, and released his Vivosaurs.

In the stands, Twilight adjusted her glasses and said, "Spike's team is well balanced, he has a close-range, mid-range, and long-range Vivosaur, the Exam Droid's Vivosaurs are all close-range. Spike also has a size advantage with Stego and Brachio.

The jumbo-screen lit up, and showed the stats of the two teams. The announcer said, "First up is the Speed Check!" the numbers appeared on the screen and the announcer said, "Spike's team has greater speed than the Exam Droid's! Spike has the first move!"

Spike thought about his first move. His Fire-element Dimetro had an advantage over the Air-element M-Raptor, so he checked his Fossil Power Meter and nodded, "Dimetro, use Dimetro Fang on M-Raptor!" his Dimetro ran at the M-Raptor and delivered a powerful bite. While Dimetro was charging, Spike used two Attack Up Support Shots, increasing the strength of the attack enough to KO M-Raptor. Afterwards, Spike was out of Fossil Power to use any other skills, so he ended his turn.

The announcer said, "And Spike delivers a devastating Dimetro Fang to M-Raptor! With the help of two Attack Up Support Shots, Spike has KOed one of the Exam Droid's Vivosaurs!"

Spike ended his turn after moving Brachio as far back as he could be. Brachio worked best from the sidelines, it wasn't suited for close combat.

The exam droid attacked Dimetro using its Dilopho, which had an elemental advantage. Spike used a Defense Up Support shot to lessen the damage, and it saved Dimetro from being knocked out. Spike thought to himself, "Dimetro's in a pinch... I better use a LP Recovery Support Shot during its next attack..."

Two people in the stands watched the battle intently. A girl with long blonde hair said, "Are you positive he's the one brother?"

A boy with spiky black hair sighed and said, "Not entirely, I must admit I have my doubts based on the way this battle's going... However, its best that we focus on our assignment and observe him and the girl, I believe her name was Ember?"

The girl nodded and said, "Yes, that's correct. I still don't understand the point of this assignment. We determined the native creatures of this planet evolved from mammals. Although I can't say I'm displeased... He is cute..."

The boy rolled his eyes and said, "Focus sister. We're here to observe and report, not get involved with the subjects."

Back on the battlefield, Spike felt strange. He felt his blood heating up, as if he was a carnivorous dinosaur getting ready to strike. He jumped from foot to foot, the feeling got him excited, and his Vivosaurs were reacting to his excitement as well. "Brachio, Mountain Wave!" Brachio roared and swung around, hitting both Dilopho and Tro with its neck and tail. The two Vivosaurs were hit hard, but not enough to KO either of them. However, the two of them seemed as though they'd had energy drained. Spike's skin sparkled for a moment, but the only person who noticed it besides Spike was Twilight.

Twilight took off her glasses and wiped them with a small cloth before putting them back on and said, "So it's not just my glasses... Spike's skin is sparkling like a diamond!"

Rarity squinted her eyes at Spike and said, "She's right!" and the others started conversing about what was going on.

The boy in the stands smirked and said, "It seems we were both wrong. You saw what I saw sister... The reaction is occurring. It seems he is the one we're looking for..."

The girl nodded and said, "But what about the girl? She didn't show any signs of the reaction occurring."

The boy closed his eyes and thought. He opened his eyes and stared between Spike and his Brachio before saying, "Perhaps it is the bond between the subject and his Vivosaur... I'm picking up faint waves of an unusual energy between them... This situation is unexpected... Perhaps his time among the natives has altered the conditions for the reaction to take place."

The girl twirled her hair and said, "This does make things more interesting for us. Your theory is plausible, but we'll need to conduct more research into it. We've collected enough data for this observation. Let's get going."

She started to get up, but her brother grabbed her arm and forced her back down saying, "No, I'm quite interested in these so called Fossil Battles. I want to see what the subject is capable of if the reaction reaches its peak."

Spike thought to himself, "Something's different... I've never felt like this! I don't know why, but every nerve in my body is telling me to get in there and battle the droid's Vivosaurs myself! What's going on?"

To be continued...

The girl sighed and said, "Another cliffhanger. And why do we get so little face time?"
The boy snarled and said, "You know, we wouldn't be in this situation if you had let me read over the contract before agreeing to the cameo appearance."