• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 1,492 Views, 14 Comments

Spike's Journey as a Fossil Fighter - Darth Severus



Spike's always loved dinosaurs. He even went to school to learn more about them. When he's turned 10 years old, he can officially become a Fossil Fighter! This is the start of his journey.

  • ...
6
 14
 1,492

Spike's Graduation Part 1: The First Vivosaur

Today was the day. Spike could hardly believe it, today was the day he graduated from the FFA. He walked through the halls with his childhood friend Ember, who was also a student. Ember told him, "You know you're not in the clear yet. You have to pass the final test. You have to excavate a real fossil and win a battle with it. Real fossils are much harder to clean than practice fossils, and if you damage them, you'll end up with a weaker Vivosaur."

Spike rolled his eyes and said, "I know that! I've even prepared, I bought some Buster Sensors. The professor says there's no restrictions on items we can use to excavate the fossil. A perfectly positioned stone buster will get the fossil more than clean enough to pass the test. Plus, I stocked up on Support Shots for the battle test."

Ember smirked and said, "Well, seems you don't need my advice then. You've really thought this out. Any idea what kind of Vivosaur you'd like? I'd personally like a V-Raptor."

Spike smiled and said, "V-Raptor, species name Velociraptor. A close relative of the bird family, the Velociraptor was covered in feathers. Though its reputation is quite large, in actuality it was only about the size of a wolf."

Ember scoffed and said, "Showoff."

Spike raised an eyebrow and retorted, "Says the girl who gave a 2 hour lecture on the formation of Golden Fossils."

Ember blushed and said, "Touché. But seriously, what Vivosaur would you like to get?"

Spike thought for a bit and said, "Personally I'm a fan of Dimetro, but any Vivosaur is fine with me."

The two graduating students hurried to their test. Professor Trip Cera smiled as they arrived and said, "You two are early, but I can still give you the tests. First off, you two will need the proper supplies. First up is the Fossil Sonar. Without one of these, you'll never find a Fossil Rock. It's pretty basic right now, but if you win enough tournaments and sell some jewels you excavate, you'll be able to upgrade it. Next up is your Medal Case. A Fossil Fighter's team consists of three Vivosaurs, as well as two reserves. However, with a Medal Case, you can carry all your current Dino Medals, and switch them in and out of your team at any time. Last, but certainly not least is the MCRS, also known as the Mobile Cleaning & Revival Station. For a long time, you would have to take Fossil Rocks to a cleaning station and revive them with a very large machine, the MCRS was designed to be able to clean and revive fossils on the go." He took a deep exhale and sighed before saying, "Now, I know you've seen multiple graduation tests during your time at the academy, but things have changed since last year. As you know, all teams are made up of three Vivosaurs, as well as two reserves. You'll need to excavate and revive three Vivosaurs. As you know, you'll need a head fossil before you can revive a Vivosaur. Good luck on your test! Once you've revived three Vivosaurs, report to your dorms and get some rest for tomorrow's battle test." before walking away.

Spike smiled and said, "Let's get digging, Ember!" he activated his Fossil Sonar and started following it towards a rock it was picking up. He swung his pickaxe into the ground and saw the outer layer of a fossil rock. He carefully dug around it so that he wouldn't damage the fossil before he started cleaning it. He lifted the rock out of the ground and set it down. He took out his MCRS and pressed the plunger on the capsule like device and threw it a short ways from himself. The cleaning station popped out of the capsule, and he took the fossil rock and put it on the cleaning table.

He started out by using the X-Ray to see what kind of fossil it was. He may be smart, but he wasn't smart enough to identify the fossil just by looking at it, but he could still tell it was a head fossil. "Step one, test the rock's strength. Fossil rocks come in all varieties of strength, the rock can be as hard as steel or as brittle as styrofoam." he tapped on the rock with his hammer in a section where there was no bone. The rock crumbled away into nothing, signifying that the rock was very brittle. He thought it over for a moment and said, "The best course of action would be to drill through the brittle rock. It'll take longer, but it's much safer. Tapping the rock softly with the hammer in areas far from the bone could help, but I'll avoid that for now." he took out his drill and started drilling into the rock, taking breaks to blow away the dust that formed from drilling the rock.

Spike was surprised, he could dig out a practice fossil in about 15 minutes, but he'd been working on this fossil for almost an hour. Ember smirked from her own cleaning station and said, "Told you, real fossils are harder to excavate."

Spike rolled his eyes and said, "Yes Ember, I heard you the first time." as he drilled away the last of the rock, he said, "Perfect! Next step, analyze the fossil integrity, if the fossil is damaged beyond 50%, the revival machine cannot collect enough DNA to perform the revival." he put it into the processor and waited for it to scan it.

The machine beeped and said, "Fossil is 100% undamaged. Fossil identified as Stegosaurus head. Commencing revival!" The machine lit up and scanned the fossil a second time. After about five minutes, a Dino Medal popped out of a small slot with a small picture of the Vivosaur Stego. Spike took the Medal out of the machine and collapsed the machine back into its capsule form.

He smiled and flipped the Stego Medal like a coin and caught it saying, "One down, two to go!"

The two students continued to dig and clean for a few hours, and about 1 hour before curfew, they each had three Vivosaurs. Spike said, "So Ember, what'd you dig up? Along with my Stego, I found a Dimetro and a Brachio."

Ember smiled and said, "Lucky, you found a fossil you wanted. I got a U-Raptor, a Zino, and a Hypsi. Still, Hypsi's not bad, pretty cute. We'd better get back to our dorms. We'll need all our strength for the Fossil Battle Test tomorrow."

The two students headed back to their dorms and wished each other luck for their Fossil Battle Test, which was first thing in the morning. Spike smiled before going to sleep as he looked at his first Dino Medal, Stego. He said to himself, "Almost... I'm almost a Fossil Fighter. Tomorrow's the most important day of my life. I better rest up." before going to sleep.