• Published 20th Oct 2017
  • 4,102 Views, 158 Comments

A Diplomatic Visit - Evilhumour



Ponyville is about to get an unexpected visitor - Swift-Pad, a diplomat from the wolf packs.

  • ...
6
 158
 4,102

Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

It was far later in the day before Wise-Mind called an end to the run with Twilight doing her best not to pant from the sheer exhaustion she was feeling. She was positive it was only due to her newfound Earth pony magic that she was able to even do this run, which had turned out to be far longer and more tiring than even her first Running of the Leaves. Looking over, she could see Applejack and Rainbow Dash both tired and sweating too. Fluttershy seemed to be tired with how low her wings were drooping and Rarity had summoned her tent before vanishing inside as soon as everyone had stopped moving. Only Pinkie Pie seemed to be okay but there was not a lot that could actually disturb her party-throwing friend.

“We should arrive at our destination by midday tomorrow,” Swift-Pad said once everyone had caught their breath.

“I look forward to seeing the Great Mound,” Twilight said as she helped prepare the fire for that night’s dinner.

“You will be seeing it the day after we arrive at All-Home,” Wise-Mind said as he began to head deeper into the woods. “The Great Mound is simply a part of the town.”

“I... should have realized that,” Twilight said to his back before looking at Spike. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“It’s okay Twilight, I got this,” Spike said, waving her away. “Besides, I am a bit more talented at this and I do like this.”

“I know.” Twilight smiled at him before walking towards the tent to see how Rarity was doing and avoid seeing the wolves bring in their dinner.

By the time the two had finished freshening up and made sure all the rest of their friends had done the same (Rainbow Dash had amused the wolves by diving into a nearby lake to do so), dinner was ready, and they once again settled around the campfire.

The dinner had a similar feel to when they had stayed with Slice, with the wolves sharing stories with them, and Twilight felt a warm sensation inside herself as she listened, remembering something Cadance had once told her when she was younger - “If you want to know somepony, get them to tell you their stories.” The wolves may not have realized it, but she had a feeling they were taking this advice to heart.

Speaking of feelings… her ears twitched nervously as she felt the same sensation she’d been getting on and off all afternoon.

Seeing her reaction, Applejack leaned in. "Is somethin' wrong, Twilight?" she asked quietly.

Twilight looked at her. "I don't know," she said. "I just can't shake this feeling… like someone's watching us."

Swift-Pad flicked his ears and looked around. "You're right," he said. "Somewolf is watching us. And if my senses are accurate, they have been for some time." Raising his head, he looked straight into the forest. "Come forth and show yourself!"

There was a quiet rustling, and then another wolf emerged from the trees. "So you knew I was there," he said with a smile. "I guess I haven't been living up to my name too well. But given as I mean no harm to any of you and was intending to show myself anyway, I am not upset."

Suddenly, there was a gasp, and then Fluttershy darted forward, a happy look on her face. "It's you!"

The wolf laughed as she threw her forelegs around his neck, raising one of his own legs to embrace her back. "Hello, Fluttershy. It's good to see you again."

Fluttershy giggled, before settling back down and turning to the others. "This is my old friend, Well-Hidden of the Thorough-Searcher pack," she explained. "He's the one who taught me about the language and culture of the Packlands."

Twilight smiled at Fluttershy, and then at the wolf. "It's an honor to meet you, Well-Hidden."

"And you as well, Princess Twilight." The wolf dipped his head. "Any friend of Fluttershy's is a friend of mine."

Rainbow Dash grumbled something under her breath, which sounded suspiciously to Twilight like "Wait until you meet Discord", but she opted not to comment on it. Swift-Pad’s ears flicked though, suggesting he’d heard the same.

“Welcome to our camp, Well-Hidden,” Wise-Mind said as he rose. “It is good to see the wolf whom Fluttershy has spoken so well of.”

“Thank you,” Well-Hidden said. “I hope you do not mind my joining you - after all, we’re going the same way.”

Twilight gave him a curious look, and he nodded in her direction. “I too am headed to the Gathering, to meet with my Packleader and our other Observers there.”

“Observers?” Applejack asked.

“The Thorough-Search pack specializes in wandering our lands and others, watching out for any activities worth noting and reporting them to our Packleaders,” Well-Hidden said. “The Observers in particular are the most skilled at this task. For instance, it was one of our own who alerted the Elders to the return of the Crystal Empire and then of Sombra; though he had not reached our lands in the past, there was always the concern, so we wanted to be on watch for him. When we witnessed his destruction, that was also reported. As was the final disposal of his horn, which might have enabled his return a second time had it survived.”

Twilight looked very surprised. “When did that happen?”

“I destroyed it myself,” Well-Hidden said calmly. “Sombra had been spawned from a race of beings that began as pure dark magic before developing sapience, and while there had been a chance for him to become good early on in his life, any light within him was consumed long ago when he assimilated their leader’s power into himself before his final confrontation with the Royal Sisters of Equestria, and so his potential second return was something we could not allow.”

Twilight nodded slowly. “I don’t know what to say,” she admitted.

Well-Hidden nodded back. “It is not something I chose to do lightly,” he said. “In fact, such active intervention is a rare event on our part. But I felt it was, in the long run, the right thing to do.” He was quiet for a moment, but then continued. “Do not misunderstand us as only keeping an eye out for threats, though. We also watch for positive things, such as a number of wolves and non-wolves from different packs coming together for a celebration, something which is always in and of itself an act to be celebrated.” He nodded to Twilight. “The magic of Harmony may be most deeply centered in your land, but its effects can be felt around the world, and we are always glad to see evidence of it.” He smiled at this, pulling Fluttershy into another hug as if to demonstrate this statement.

“I’ll have to make sure my sister-in-law knows about this the next time I talk to her,” Twilight said faintly. “Cadance did tell me that they thought he was gone for good the first time, but since he came back once, there was always a chance it could happen again. Now that you’ve made sure that won’t be the case, that’ll be a major worry off her back.”

Well-Hidden nodded. “Understandable.”

Fluttershy suddenly perked up. “Are you going to be watching the annual Breezie migration this year?” she asked hopefully.

“Of course,” Well-Hidden told her. “It is another sight that brings people together, and brings happiness to those who know of it, so we always have at least one of our own watching out for them.”

Fluttershy smiled happily. “I’ve always wanted to watch their migration,” she said.

“The who now?” Rainbow Dash scratched her head.

“The Breezies are a race of beings who resemble a cross between ponies and butterflies,” Wise-Mind said. “There are some, in fact, who refer to them as ‘Flutterponies’, though that is an inaccurate description. They reside in their own hidden world, coming out only once a year to gather pollen for their people because their size and lack of physical durability makes the outside world very dangerous for them. They do not maintain formal diplomatic ties with any outside nations, simply wishing to be left in peace, and if not for the necessity of their annual migration, they would likely stay hidden away for their entire lives.”

“That’s neat.” Rainbow Dash said with a smile on her face. “I can get why you’d want to see them, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy smiled back at her. “I’ve actually written to the Equestrian Society for the Preservation of Rare Creatures, asking for permission to observe their migration this year,” she said. “I haven’t gotten a reply yet, but I’m hoping.”

“If they know anything about you at all, they’ll say yes in a heartbeat,” Rarity said. “Why, I’ve seen you care for everything from mice to manticores - even Cerberus himself rolled over to get his belly rubbed at your kindness. There is no logical reason why somepony with your talent would be turned away.”

Fluttershy blushed at that, hiding behind her mane but nodded her head.

“You’ve been to the gates of Tartarus?” Maxilla said suddenly.

“Once,” Twilight said. “Back when I was a unicorn, before my brother’s wedding, Cerberus actually wandered away and showed up in Ponyville until Fluttershy calmed him down and we took him back to his post.”

That is worrying,” Wise-Mind said with a frown, giving Swift-Pad a look. “Have there been any investigations to find if there were any escapees?”

“A few of my fellow Observers have been tracking a Bugbear that escaped,” Well-Hidden said with some reluctance. “It’s avoided civilization so far, but we have been watching it closely. There were also signs that something else might have gotten out, but we haven’t been able to identify it yet. Not a demon, thankfully; we would have recognized their magic immediately, and even the most skilled of them cannot help but leave a trace. Whatever it is, it is good at hiding its tracks.”

“That is… information that I am sure the rest of the Packleaders will be eager to learn of,” Wise-Mind said with a bit of a growl before giving Twilight a look. “Perhaps you should inform her Grace about this development.”

“I was intending to,” Twilight said as she pulled a scroll out. Once again, she began writing on it. When she had finished her message and had tied it up, she was about to give it to Spike when Wise-Mind raised a paw.

“Allow me,” he said. Lifting an item Twilight recognized as a seal like her own, he placed it against the scroll, leaving a mark on it that she felt a tingle of magic from. “That will allow your message to bypass the protections at the border and go straight to her Grace,” he said. “It is not something we do lightly, but given the urgency of the news, it is very much necessary.”

Twilight nodded. “Thank you,” she said, before hoofing the scroll over to Spike for him to send.

“On that note, our reports on the Tartarus situation are indeed on the agenda for the coming Gathering,” Well-Hidden said. “As is the news on Sombra.”

“Among other things,” Wise-Mind said, looking at Maxilla briefly before looking at Twilight herself. “We should all rest early, so we can get an early start tomorrow,” he said.

“I understand.” Twilight replied

With that, the group began preparing for bed. As they were about to enter the tent though, Spike let out a loud belch as a scroll popped out. Quickly unfurling it, Twilight scanned the words and sighed in relief.

“Princess Celestia thanks you for informing her of this,” she told Well-Hidden. “She’s passing the information on to her own Guards as we speak, and to Discord.”

Wise-Mind looked at her, startled. “That chaos creature is loose?”

Fluttershy gave him a stern look. “He may be a spirit of chaos, but he’s my friend.”

Wise-Mind looked taken aback. “Once again, you surprise me,” he finally said, clearly unhappy. “I suppose her Grace Celestia has answers to this development.”

“It only happened a little while before I became an alicorn,” Twilight told him. “We’d stopped him once before, and she felt we could help him reform, so he could put his magic to good uses instead of evil. I… had a hard time trusting him at first, and I admit I’m still cautious around him. But thanks to Fluttershy, he’s realized that friendship was actually important to him. And something that, once he had, he didn't want to lose.”

Wise-Mind looked like he was about to retort when Swift-Pad stepped in. “What I believe Wise-Mind is trying to get at is the fact that her Grace Celestia took a very large gamble in this, which the other denizens of the world were not notified of.” He gave her a careful look. “If her plans had failed, it would have put everyone in danger, just not Equestria.”

“That’s why we had our Elements with us, just to be on the safe side,” Twilight said. Her ears drooped. “We… might not have them on us now, but we know where they are, and we still have Fluttershy. And he’s given her his word.”

“And if something were to happen to her?” Wise-Mind asked with a bit of a growl.

A scroll suddenly popped into existence above them and unfurled, revealing bold letters, which read its message aloud in the draconequus’s voice. “‘If something ever happened to her, whatever did it would not live long enough to regret it. Yours, Discord. P.S., I also happen to be quite fond of a certain chaotic little trio who also welcomed me a while ago.’” The scroll then popped out of existence again.

All the wolves looked startled, before Wise-Mind cleared his throat. “That was… unnerving.”

“And our ward runes didn’t even go off when that happened,” one of the rune wolves reported. “His magic is so powerful, it should have triggered an alarm, but since it didn’t… If he could bypass them, that’s definitely concerning.”

“Agreed.” Wise-Mind looked at Fluttershy. “But given why he did so, I am inclined to let it be this time. Though this will be brought up at the Gathering.”

“I understand.” Fluttershy bowed her head.

With that, they settled in for the night.


Twilight awoke the next morning from a dreamless sleep, and after a quick breakfast, the group set off on its way again with Rarity staying near the back with Well-Hidden, who was going slow for her own sake. And it seemed a few others of the rune wolves were also chatting with her about the properties of rocktology, with Pinkie Pie also adding into the conversation.

Twilight was interested in the topic but she had to focus on her language lessons with Maxilla. While she was becoming more proficient in saying her name, asking others for their name and other common inquiries, she was still far from proficient at saying anything else. Maxilla had also made sure she could ask if they could speak Equestrian, though, which was something Twilight appreciated immensely.

Finally, they arrived at All-Home, with buildings coming into view in the shadow of a mountain that Twilight was certain was the Great Mound itself.

Already Twilight could see a marked difference between the two wolf settlements, namely the sheer presence of wolves walking around along with the other species in the town, with most giving her a curious look. The changelings she could spot looked weary and drained but they were surrounded by other species who were doing their best to comfort them. “If you will follow me, your Grace,” Wise-Mind said as a group of healthier-looking changelings walked up towards Maxilla. “We will take you to the hotel where you will be staying for the night.”

Maxilla tilted her head as the changelings approached before changing back into their base form with his wings buzzing loudly, Wise-Mind and Swift-Pad both looking alarmed at this before trying to hide it.

“I’m sorry, but I need to go right now,” Maxilla said, moving to leave before Twilight went in front of him.

"Is everything okay?" Twilight asked her friend who was trying to calm the nervous-looking changelings.

“It is a changeling matter,” Maxilla said, gulping and avoiding her eyes. “While I do not have any real extensive magic and do plan to undergo the Seal, I am still a changeling now and I have a duty to my Queen and her requests.”

“Please, tell me what is wrong; maybe we can help?” Twilight offered with the other changelings buzzing their wings, Twilight suddenly aware that this must be part of their way of communicating with each other.

“I just need to donate some of my magic, that’s all,” Maxilla said with Twilight smiling softly at him.

“My Special Talent is magic, Maxilla,” she reminded him, placing a hoof on his shoulder. “I am sure I can donate enough of my magic if the situation truly requires all of these changelings doing the same.”

Maxilla bit his lip, looking at the other changelings present who gave shrugs at each other before looking back at her. “At the very least, we can ask Queen Metamorphia and the others if they’d be willing to accept,” he said before letting out a sigh. “If you can help, then a lot of changelings will be grateful for this.”

Twilight smiled at him. “It’s the least I can do for a friend,” she said.

The other changelings looked rather startled at her words, but Maxilla smiled. “I appreciate that,” he said before looking at Wise-Mind. “If you do not mind, I will be taking her Grace and friends towards the hospital where the... patient is.”

Wise-Mind let out a barely audible sigh as he nodded his head. “Of course I do not mind,” he said. “If she is capable in stabilizing him, then all the better.”

Maxilla gave him a nod, then started off. “This way, please,” he said.

Twilight and the others quickly followed after him some blocks away, until they had reached what was recognizably a hospital where there were a number of wolves and changelings guarding it.

“Since the… er, event,” Maxilla said as he led them inside, “One of the members of her hive has been having some problems. They’re undergoing a maturation into the new leader of the hive, but it isn’t going as easy as expected - part of the problem is that Queens will usually be directly involved in stimulating their successor’s growth, but she is not willing to cooperate in the least and neither is the half of the hive that followed her willingly to invade Canterlot. The others have been gathering what they can so he can absorb it from them, but it’s taking a lot longer than it usually would and there are fears he will not survive the process.”

Twilight’s eyes widened a bit, but she calmed herself. “If they need my help, I’ll give it,” she said. “But I am not trained in healing magic, although…” she trailed off with an idea forming in her head.

“Your Grace?” Maxilla asked as they rounded a corner.

“Has anyling tried directly giving it to him?” Twilight asked. “Rather than his taking it, willing on their part or otherwise?”

“My brother hasn’t been able to do much of anything since this whole metamorphosis began,” a gruff changeling voice suddenly said, before its owner appeared in front of them. He was armed with a spear and his horn glowing, with several other changelings behind him, also armed and lowering their horns as if to defend the room behind them. They all froze when they saw Twilight and her friends, looking uncertain at her and Wise-Mind. “What’s… what’s going on here, Wise-Mind?”

Wise-Mind gave a growl at the lack of respect directed to him but Twilight stepped forward to explain. “I’ve been informed of the situation here,” she said calmly. “And I’ve come to donate some of my magic to the process, if it’ll help.”

The lead changeling, whom Twilight noticed had a red dorsal fin and tail, and purple wings (in contrast to the others’ cyan), eyed her suspiciously. “Since when does a pony care about what happens to any of us?” he asked.

“My only quarrel is with the former queen over her specific actions, not with her species,” Twilight told him. “I want to help your brother...” She trailed off, looking at him expectantly.

“His name is Thorax,” the changeling said reluctantly. “I’m Pharynx.” He was still looking suspicious, but finally he stepped aside. “I’ll be watching,” he warned her. “But if you really want to help, I’ll let you try.”

“Thank you,” Twilight said. As the other changelings moved out of the way, she entered the hospital room, with he and Maxilla following her in.

Inside, she found a massive clearish cocoon, akin to the ones she’d seen other ponies imprisoned in, but somehow… different. A number of changeling queens surrounded it and quickly came to attention as she entered, with one of them hissing angrily at her. “What is the meaning of this?” she demanded, less at Twilight and more at Pharynx who was standing his ground.

Twilight bowed to her and the other queens present. “I am Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria,” she said. “And I have come to donate my magic to Thorax’s maturation process.”

The queen looked startled with the other queens sharing intrigued looks. “Why would a pony, one of those directly involved in thwarting our former comrade’s attack on your people, want to help one of us?” the first one demanded with the other behind her sharing what looked to be amused looks.

“As I told Pharynx before, my only quarrel is with the queen who attacked our people,” Twilight said. “Thorax has done nothing to earn my enmity, nor have the rest of your people, and I want to help him.”

Another queen stepped forwards, placing a hoof on the first’s shoulder and said, “As Queen Scolopidia might forget to do so with her own recent ascension to becoming a queen,” causing said queen to blush and squirm with embarrassment. “We are able to read your intentions and see that you truly wish to help, Princess Twilight of Equestria.” She walked closer towards Twilight and tilted her head down. “Though I do wonder if it is true altruism that motivates your hoof and not aiding those who once aided you.”

“What do you mean, Queen…” Twilight asked, keeping her eyes focused on the changeling’s eyes.

“I am Queen Tegmina,” she introduced herself before pointing to the other queens in the room. “You know Queen Scolopidia, and our companions are Queen Remigium, Queen Taenidia, and Queen Metamorphia.” She then peered closer at Twilight with the mare doing her best not to flinch. “You truly do not know, do you?” she asked as a matter of fact and not as a true question.

“I do not,” Twilight said. “Prior to my arrival in the Packlands, I knew Equestria had encountered changelings exactly twice, both times involving an attack by her and her hive. Until just now, I’d never heard of any of your people aiding us.”

Queen Tegmina nodded slowly, stepping closer to her. “You speak truth,” she said. “Then I will tell you. When our rogue began her plans to attack, Thorax here persuaded his brother and others of his hive to turn against her, and send Equestria an anonymous message alerting them to a coming threat. For his own protection, he did not identify the source of that threat, but it allowed your people to at least have some time to prepare and be on alert.”

Twilight closed her eyes briefly. “My brother told me that a threat had been made against Canterlot,” she said. “He never said anything about how they found out.” She opened her eyes. “But even if Thorax had never done any such thing, I’d still help him.”

Queen Tegmina regarded her. “You again speak truth,” she said, a hint of wonder in her voice. “Then you are most welcome. Come with me.”

Twilight followed her towards the cocoon and stared at it. Peering into the liquid, she could spot the outline of a changeling within, squirming uncomfortably.

“You see his struggles, do you not?” Queen Tegmina asked.

Twilight nodded.

“Without his former queen to guide him, his maturation is going far slower than it normally would, and it’s taking a toll on him,” the changeling queen said. “We’ve done what we can to ease the process, but since none of us have a direct blood bond to him, he’s still having a great deal of trouble.”

Twilight nodded again, eyes still on Thorax.

“Our changelings have donated what they can, some more than others, but the true problem is that we lack the means to thoroughly understand why he is in such pain.” Queen Tegmina said. “While the Packlanders have a sizeable level in medicine, there is still a great deal that they do not possess.”

“In any case, please allow me to try and donate my magic, your majesties,” Twilight said.

Queen Tegmina nodded and stepped back, allowing Twilight to concentrate, looking inward to her magic. Slowly, using the breathing exercises Cadance had taught her so long ago, she focused on it and began releasing a steady stream of magic, directing it into the cocoon. And as she did so, she felt a twinge of emotion.

Of course, she realized. That’s what changelings need… Concentrating on the emotion, she added it to the magic she was sending.

There was a sudden gasp from within the cocoon, and then a voice within her head. Who… who is this? it asked. This love… it’s like nothing I’ve ever felt.

It’s okay, Twilight sent back. I’m giving you what you need.

The voice was silent for a moment, then she felt a friendly touch on her mind. I don’t know exactly what you’re doing, but thank you, it said.

Suddenly, there was a loud cracking as the cocoon broke open, and Twilight slowly released hold on the magic she'd been channeling. She saw a changeling, who seemed a little taller and whose wings were now glittering, looking around in amazement as he finished calling in the power she'd released before stepping away from the cocoon.

“Thorax?” Pharynx’s surprised voice came.

“Pharynx!” The changeling looked at him. “Did you get… shorter while I was in there?”

Queen Tegmina stepped forward. “No, my young prince Thorax,” she said. “You have grown. Your metamorphosis has not yet completed, but Princess Twilight’s donation has clearly had more of an affect on you than we expected.”

Thorax looked down at himself in surprise, and then back at his glittering wings. “Wow.” He buzzed his wings a bit. “This feels… incredible. I don’t think I’ve been this full ever!” He grinned. “And I don’t hurt anymore!”

“Good for you, little bro,” Pharynx told him with a smile on his face turning into a confused look. “Though why does he look… sparkly?”

“That… is a question I am not sure of,” Queen Tegmina said before leaning in to examine him. “It must be due to the difference in how you began your transformation. I believe you and your hive will be vastly different to others as such.”

“There is also the matter of his gender,” Scolopidia said, a bit hotly. “He is still a he. Shouldn’t he have changed into a nymph already?”

“We are in new waters, Scolopidia,” Metamorphia chided her a bit sternly with the young Queen yipping and ducking her head. “I do believe we will have the first King Changeling once this is all finished.”

“What happens next?” Twilight asked, curious to the whole process.

“I need to begin the next step in my metamorphosis, though it will require even more love and magic,” Thorax said, looking nervous but still sounding confident.

“If he’s a King, then how is his hive to get new eggs?” Scolopidia suddenly demanded, shoving her way into Thorax’s face. “It’s the Queen’s job to lay the first eggs of a new hive, but if there’s no Queen… you can’t expect a King to lay!”

Pharynx walked over to her with a wicked grin on his face even as the regular changelings behind him did their best to stop him, with several of the Queens appearing torn between encouraging him and stopping him. "Really, Queen Scolopidia, if you need some remedial lessons in basic biology, I am willing to be of help."

Scolopidia’s face reddened and she turned away, declining to reply as Thorax gave his brother a glare. Pharynx, for his part, simply chuckled it off.

“I am certain a solution will become evident when the time is right,” Queen Tegmina said, laughing to herself behind her hoof. “At any rate, Princess Twilight, you have done a wondrous thing here, helping Prince Thorax as you have.”

“I was glad to do it,” Twilight said. “Even if he had not been responsible for preventing her invasion from being as bad as it was, I would have done so regardless. It is my hope that Equestria and its citizens can form a new, peaceful relationship with the changelings and other races.”

Queen Tegmina shook her head as she smiled. “You truly are one of the most open-minded ponies I have ever met,” she said. “Would that more were like you.”

“I wish more ponies would be open-minded too,” Twilight said softly. “As I’ve learned from experience… regardless of the species of those who have it, friendship is one of the greatest magics of all.”

“Words to live by,” Queen Tegmina said approvingly.

“Oh, she does, she does,” Pinkie’s voice said from somewhere.

The changelings all looked startled. “Who said that?” one of them asked.

“That would be my friend Pinkie Pie,” Twilight said with a sigh. “As far as I know she’s still in the hall outside though. Don’t ask how she does anything, just… don’t. It’s healthier for your mind not to try and figure her out, I’ve learned that the hard way.”

“...I’ll take your word for it,” Queen Tegmina said.