• Published 15th Oct 2017
  • 1,262 Views, 18 Comments

The Fourth Siren - Amber is a fossil



A new version of Rainbow Rocks with a fourth Siren.

  • ...
15
 18
 1,262

Solo Siren

Friday afternoon.

Melody was in her room thinking about her next move. She didn't like putting that spell on the principals to make them agree to the Battle of the Bands, but it made her sisters happy that she can do a spell on her own. She also couldn't get that band she met, the Rainbooms, out of her head. When she and her sisters cast the spell in the cafeteria, she could have sworn that she didn't see them arguing with the other students, as if the song had no effect on them. She made friends with them, but for the rest of the week they seemed to giver her and her sisters as strange look when they were in the same room with them, as if they know something, but that would be impossible. The only people who knew that her sisters were the Sirens were either dead or in that pony world, Equestria. But she needed to put that out of her mind and focus on asking her sisters something impossible.

"Melody, time to get ready for the party." Adagio said as she came into Melody's room.

Melody took a deep breath. She walked out of her room and saw Sonata making fruit punch.

"Is something wrong Melody?" Adagio asked.

"Well, since you let me do a solo spell on the principals, I was wondering if you would let me compete in the competition as a solo." She asked.

"No Melody." Adagio said firmly.

"But-"

"Melody, we need to make it to the three way finals. And as a solo-" Aria said.

"Are you saying I can't sing well on my own?" Melody became agitated.

"No, its just that we don't do something this big alone." Sonata said.

"I won't be alone! We'll still be in the competition together, and as a three way final there's still room for one more contestant. Plus I'll be a full Siren then, so it's a fact that I will make it!" Melody said.

"But it took us years to master our full Siren powers. And also, we still need to find the source of magic in the school. The answer is no, and that's final!" Adagio as she put her foot down.

Melody sighed. "So you're all really gonna make me do it, aren't you?" She then placed her hands on her upper arms in shame of what she was about to do. "When this is over, I just want you all know, I gave you all a chance."

"What are you talking-" Adagio then realized what she was about to do and gasped. "Oh, no!"

"That's right Adagio, the "nuclear" option."

Aria and Sonata gasped. "Melody, you promised us that you would never do that to us!" Aria said in a worried voice.

"You all drove me to this. This is your fault." Melody then held her hands together in front of her chest and her eyes began to water.

"Melody, you better not-" Sonata was too late as Melody unleashed her most powerful weapon.

Melody's lips quivered as she began to cry. Adagio, Aria, and Sonata tried to look away, but it was too late as they too were crying and their bodies became weak.

"Okay! You can participate in the Battle of the Bands as a solo." Adagio said as she and the others fell to the floor. "Just please put those away."

Melody then wiped the tears off her face. "Works every time."

"You're despicable, you know that?" Aria said.

"Yeah, you did the one thing you said you'd never do to us!" Sonata said.

"But you're the ones who told me to not let anything stand in my way. And I really want to do a solo act." Melody said. "Thanks for letting me do this." Melody hugged Adagio and then stepped into her room for a minute.

"I can't believe she used the nuclear weapon on us! Us! Her sisters!" Aria said.

"Uh, do we really have any right to talk about using power against family?" Sonata asked.

"That was different!" Adagio snapped at her. She then grabbed Sonata by the gem. "Don't ever mention that again!!" Her eyes them faintly glowed red. Sonata backed away with her hands over her pendant.

Aria then walked over to confront her sister. "Adagio! We never grab each other's pendants! And your eyes are red!"

Adagio gasped as her eyes returned to normal. "I'm sorry." She then held Sonata's hand.

Sonata looked at her. "You need to get him under control. If he's loose again, we're all practical dead!" Sonata teared.

"I know. We just haven't had this much power in a long time and he's feeding off it too."

"Wait, you've been talking to him?!" Aria yelled.

"No! Well yes. But I've never given in! He'll never be freed! Not after what he did to Melody!" Adagio then heard Melody's door open. "Okay, we never had this discussion, for Melody's sake. Agreed?"

"Agreed." Aria and Sonata said.

Melody then stepped out of her room. "Okay, I'm ready to go. And did I miss something?" Melody asked.

"No." All three of them said in unison.

"Okay." Melody said. She knew they were lying, but she did just unleash her nuclear power so she didn't ask and the four of them left for the party.

***

The Rainbooms and Sunset were sitting in front of the statue waiting for Twilight to come. Rarity was polishing Fluttershy's nails, Applejack and Pinkie Pie were playing cards, Sunset was reading all her old entries in her book, and Rainbow Dash was throwing a soccer ball around.

"I'm starting to think she's not coming." Rainbow said as she was growing impatience.

Then the portal opened and Twilight and Spike literally flew out.

"Twilight!" Everyone said.

Twilight was rubbing her head from the impact. "Oof. I'm back." She then saw that Sunset offered her her hand and Twilight was reluctant at first, but took it and there was an awkward moment between the two of them.

Then everyone else hugged her in a group. They all went to a cafe where everyone got a drink and was discussing recent events.

"Oh, I do hate that you had to return at a time of crisis. There's so much catching up to do!" Rarity said.

"For starters, a certain blue-haired guitar player was just askin' about you." Applejack said.

"Flash Sentry was asking about me?!" Twilight said excitedly as she twirled her hair. She then noticed everyone was looking at her. "Isn't that nice?" She said as she sipped her milkshake.

"Perhaps you would give us just the slightest bit of gossip from your world?" Rarity asked as she sipped her tea.

"She's even got an official title now." Spike then used his dog biscuit as a trumpet. "The Princess of Friendship!"

"Wow, that's really impressive. Guess you really were Princess Celestia's prized pupil." Sunset said.

"She's even got her own castle!"

"A castle?! You have your own castle?!?" Rarity got all excited and had cause some foam from Twilight's spilt on her shirt. Everyone was looking at her and she took a napkin and wiped the foam off Twilight. "Ooh, uh, lovely."

"Uh Twilight, I've been meaning to ask you about your theory about the fourth Siren." Sunset asked.

"Yeah, I believe that one of the three Sirens might have had a child. Any idea who that might be?" Twilight asked.

"I would guess Melody. Unlike the others, she's generous and kind while her sisters are a bit cruel and mean." Fluttershy said.

"Did you say 'sisters'?" Twilight asked.

"It's probably just a cover. It would seem weird that a mother and daughter look the same age." Sunset said.

Twilight just shook her head. "Anyway, what's new here? I mean, besides your school becoming the target of dangerous magical creatures from Equestria?"

"Yeah, so, that isn't exactly the only strange thing that's happened since you left." Rainbow showed Twilight a video on her phone of her playing her guitar and she ponied up, leaving Twilight speechless. "Pretty sweet, huh? It happens to all of us when we play."

"Hmm. My crown was returned to Equestria, but some of its magic must have remained here at Canterlot High." Twilight speculated. "Now that we're all back together, we can use that magic on the Sirens. Just like when we were able to use it on Sunset Shimmer when she turned into that horrifyingly awful winged monster!" Twilight then realized what she said and turned to Sunset. "No offense."

"None taken. Heh. I'm used to it." Sunset said.

"They'll never even know what hit 'em!" Rainbow said, then she did a couple of karate moves.

Applejack then caught Rainbows fist. "We've got nothin' to worry about now that Twilight's back"

"Oh, I'm pretty sure I could find something to worry about." Fluttershy said. "But it won't be the Sirens."

"The sooner we do this, the better. Any idea where the Dazzlings might be?" Twilight asked, but they just shook their heads.

Pinkie Pie shook her hand rapidly as she finished sucking her milkshake. "There's a big party tonight for all the bands who signed up to be in the showcase! That would include the Dazzlings." She said as she left some of the milkshake on her cheek.

Twilight and the others smiled as she wiped away the mess from Pinkie's face. "Looks like we've got a party to crash."

***

The Dazzlings and Melody were walking to the school for the party being thrown for all the bands. Melody, who was the happiest of all four of them, smiled brightly. Sonata was carrying a bowl of fruit punch.

"This is going to be so exciting! Right, Adagio?" Melody asked as she turned to her sister.

"Of course! With all the people that entered the competition that's going to be there, we'll feed off their hatred for one another." Adagio said eagerly.

"Oh, right. Also that." Melody said unenthusiastically.

"It something wrong, Melody?" Adagio asked.

"Oh, it's nothing." Melody said.

"Are you sure?" Aria asked. "You were pretty happy just a minute ago."

"I'm still happy, see." She smiled to prove her point.

"Melody, I can tell when you're lying." Adagio said as she looked at Melody.

Melody sighed. "It's just, do we have to feed of their negative energy?"

"Melody, we've had this discussion multiple time."

"Yes, but can we do one thing without you guys causing trouble? I mean we have tomorrow to do this!"

"It's not just the feedings, it's also about causing trouble, and we love it! Maybe if you caused some trouble you would like it!" Sonata said as she tried not to spill her punch.

"Yeah, you're the one who wants to do things on her own, so why don't you try to cause some trouble for once?" Aria said.

"But I don't know how to cause trouble! I'm the nice sister in this group!" Melody said.

"Well then Melody I do believe it's time you learn to cause your own trouble! You are basically 16 already!" Adagio said.

"Yeah, and I don't think you would have any trouble causing trouble since you caused a lot ten years ago." Sonata said. All three of them looked at Sonata, and this time she knew what she said. "Melody I didn't mean-"

"Save it!" Melody snapped. "If you guys want to feed off the hatred of others, fine! Just don't expect me to bring it out!" They all then continued to walk in silence.

The Dazzlings and Melody entered the school gymnasium where the party was taking place. Everyone was arguing with each other, except the Dazzlings, Melody, Suset Shimmer, and the Rainbooms. Melody snuck away from the Dazzlings and went to the snack table.

She thought 'Why?' as she thought of the wicked intentions of her sisters. She knew they would never give up their plans to regain their former glory. For millennia they've waited for this moment, and they weren't going to give it up even if she goes nuclear on them. She then looked over as she saw Pinkie Pie eating the cookies.

Pinkie looked over and saw Melody. "Fey, Melomie!" Pinkie Pie said with her mouth full of cookies. She swallowed the cookies. "Hey, Melody." Pinkie waved.

Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash turned around to see her.

"Uh, hey guys." Melody said nervously as she approached them.

"It's good to see ya again." Applejack said as she tipped her hat.

"Uh, who's that girl over there? Is she new too?" Melody pointed to Twilight Sparkle who was talking to Flash Sentry.

"Oh, ah, that's Twilight Sparkle, she's here to help us with a,uh, problem." Rarity answered.

"Um, guys." Rainbow Dash got their attention. "Don't we have something important to do?" She pointed over at the Dazzlings with her eyes, Twilight saw this too.

"Oh, yes. So sorry to cut our meeting short, Melody, but we have some business to take care of." Rarity said as she left.

The other, including Sunset, walked over towards the Dazzlings, but Pinkie Pie first filled her hair up with cookies.

Melody grew worried. 'This is a seriously weird. It's as if they know me and my sisters are up to something.' She thought.

On the other side of the gym the Dazzlings were walking around. Adagio stopped and looked around the gym. "Oh no! No ones mingling! It's like there's some kind of underlying tensions that could bubble to the surface at any given minute!" Adagio said in surprise/ mocking tone as she saw everyone arguing with each other.

"It's my fruit punch isn't it. I knew I used too much grape juice and not enough apple and orange!" Sonata responded while holding a cup of punch. Aria rolled her eyes.

Adagio sighed putting her hand on her face. "It's not your fruit punch! It's us!"

"But the punch is awful, too." Aria put in.

"And what do you know about good fruit punch?" Sonata said putting a cup of punch in Aria's face.

"More than you!" Aria shoved the cup out of her face.

"Do not!" Sonata hit Aria in the forehead.

"Do to!" She hit Sonata back, messing up her hair. Sonata then fixed it.

"This is just the kickoff party we need, girls. Just imagine what a tizzy they'll be in by the time the Battle of the Bands really starts." Adagio said facing them.

"There isn't going to be a Battle of the Bands!" Twilight called out.

Everyone turned around to see the Rainbooms in a line. "Alright, girls, let's do this!" They held hands. "Friendship is magic!" Nothing happened and there was an awkward silence as someone coughed.

'What was that all about?" Melody wondered. Then she got an idea. She knew her and her sisters do what they do to survive and after the fight they just had, she needed to do something to try and make it up. But she didn't want to put her new friends in a bad position, however her family must come first.

"Talk about throwing down the gauntlet!" Melody said as everyone turned to face her. "This group is obviously serious about winning!" Melody then walked around the gym with everyone looking at her, her sisters had smirks on their faces as they knew what she was doing. The Rainbooms however were shocked that she was calling them out like this. "But a little cocky though, aren't they? I mean, claiming there won't really be a battle. Seems to me they think they've already got this thing all locked up." That really tipped off the students.

"Not if the Great and Powerful Trrrrrixie has anything to do with it!" Trixie exclaimed.

"Whatever, Trixie." Flash Sentry said as he crossed his arms. "We're the best band at CHS." He gestured to his band.

"No! The Crusaders are gonna win!" Applebloom exclaimed as she gestured to her group.

Soon all the students started arguing loudly, emitting a green mist. The Rainbooms were in the center of it all with worried looks on their faces. Melody then regrouped with the Dazzlings as Adagio smiled at her. "Nice one." She said to her. Then the green mist entered their pendants as they looked at them. Melody looked up from her pendant and noticed the Rainbooms, plus Sunset, leaving. She then left to followed them to try and maybe talk to them about what she just did to them.

Adagio looked up from her pendant and noticed the Rainbooms were gone. Come to think of it, she didn't see them arguing with the other students just now or in the cafeteria ether. That had to mean they weren't under the spell, and that could only mean one thing. "I think we might have found what we were looking for. Or rather it found us." She turned to Aria who smiled back.

Both of them then turned to Sonata who gave them a confused look. Aria then slapped her face. "MAGIC!" Adagio yelled at Sonata who quivered back. "Didn't you see? Everyone else had fallen under our spell, but not those girls. Those girls are special." She then smiled wickedly at her realization.

"Hey, Melody's gone!" Aria pointed out as she saw Melody was nowhere to be seen.

"WHAT?!" Adagio exclaimed.

When Melody peeked outside the school doors she saw and heard the Rainbooms talking about what happened inside the gym.

"But to defeat me, you drew magic from the crown I was wearing." Melody heard Sunset say. "The Sirens' magic comes from their music."

'So they do know about us. This is not good.' Melody thought.

"So maybe you have to use the same kind of magic to defeat them." Sunset said enthusiastically. "Or... maybe not." She then looked down.

"No, wait, I think you're onto something." Twilight told her.

"I think so, too." Melody said as she revealed herself to the Rainbooms and Sunset. The girls looked at her. "And before you ask, yes, I did hear all of it."

"So, let me guess, you're going to go back to your sisters and tell them what we're planning?" Rainbow Dash accused.

"No, I, listen. I did hear your plan, but I don't want to tell them. You guys are my friends."

"Really? But you were singing with the Dazzlings in the cafeteria, put a spell on the principals, and you just called us out to cause a huge school wide argument!" Sunset said.

"Yes, but I just had a fight with my sisters and I wanted to make it up with them. And those other things I didn't have much choice! They're my family! And I can't go against them!"

"Melody, you always have a choice. You don't have to do something you don't want to. Do you really want to help them?" Applejack asked.

"No, but I…I…I owe them my life! They saved me more than once. And I just can't betray them!"

"Melody, you know what the other Sirens are doing isn't right. Trust me, I know how one's feelings for others can affect judgment. I gave up the most powerful magic in Equestria to a power hungry monster to save my friends. But I didn't have any doubts, and you have doubts. You need to make a choice." Twilight said.

"I…I signed up for a solo act! That way I'm not really a part of this! Listen, I will not tell my sisters about this, but I can not stab them in the back after they've taken care of me since they found me!" Melody began to cry.

"Darling, we aren't gonna ask you to. But you can help us by telling us their plans and the rest of us can take care of it. They would never know you helped." Rarity said.

Melody then wiped her tears. "I…I guess. Look, I never wanted to put you girls in a bad spot like what I did in there. You are my friends."

"We understand." Fluttershy put her hand on Melody's shoulder.

"Oh, slumber party at my house!" Pinkie Pie said. "We can discuss our plans to take down those evil Sirens and have a good time!"

"Sounds like a great idea. You should come Melody. You can give us what we need to defeat the Sirens." Sunset said. Melody then cringed. "I mean, the Dazzlings."

"Okay. I just need to tell my sisters where I'm going tonight. Or else this second grade overnight zoo field trip all over again."

"What happened?" Rainbow Dash asked, getting curious.

"They broke the gates and when security showed up Adagio pulled an AK-47 out of her hair. Seriously, you could hide a baby elephant in there." Melody then giggled.

"WHAT?!" Applejack exclaimed. "How in tarnation did she even get one?!"

"She got it from the gun store." Melody said in monotone. "They didn't go to jail because they, "sweet talked" the cops when they showed up."

"Wait, why did they break into the zoo in the first place?" Twilight asked.

"Well, I forged their signature on the permission slip because I knew they would never agree to it, but I didn't think they would take things that extreme. I'll go home and get ready. I'll meet you guys at Pinkie Pie's house." Melody then turned to leave.

Twilight then turned the group. "Alright, it would seem that in order to break the Sirens' spell, we need a musical counter spell. Only I don't know one." The others sighed. "But I know that I can write one in time for the competition tomorrow! That way when they hear it they'll be freed!"

"Alright! Tonight we have a slumber party and tomorrow we kick evil butt!" Rainbow Dash said as she put her hand out and and everyone else put there hand on top.

"Yeah!" Everyone said as they lifted their hands in the air.

Author's Note:

(The gun thing was inspired by the Dazzlings series by TweenAnimation Studios on YouTube, which is totally awesome)
Yes! New chapter! Next chapter reveals how Melody came to the Dazzlings and how she became a Siren. But who is the "he" Sonata and Aria told Adagio to control? What did he do to Melody? So many mysteries with the Sirens, so little truth is know.