• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 1,535 Views, 23 Comments

Rainbow Rocks: Another Story - ArcanaMaverick7



After the events of the Fall Formal, something other than Equestrian Magic was brought to Canterlot High. Twelve teenagers from another world try to help Princess Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, and the Rainbooms handle the Dazzlings.

  • ...
7
 23
 1,535

Questions and Answers

Digging through her locker, Sunset Shimmer found a dusty old journal that had a shimmering sun mark on the cover. "When I was Princess Celestia's student back in Equestria, she gave me this," she explained as she showed the book to everyone. "Even after I abandoned my studies, I held onto it. Deep down, I guess I knew I was making a big mistake, and I wanted to still have a way to reach out to her," she said as she flipped through the pages until she reached a blank page. "Maybe it still works."

"That's a book, darling," Rarity pointed out. "What do you mean by 'maybe still works'?"

"It used to be that if I wrote something here, it would appear in the pages of a book back in Princess Celestia's library," Sunset Shimmer elaborated. "I get a message to her, then she can get a message to Princess Twilight."

"I wish I had that kind of thing when I was at Beacon for the first few weeks," Azalea commented. "It would've been so much easier to write to my parents back home."

"So what are we waiting for," Rainbow Dash asked as she handed Sunset Shimmer a pen. "Get to writing, Shimmer!"

Looking intently at the pen in her hand, Sunset Shimmer sighed. "Well, it's been a long time since I've written these words. 'Dear Princess Celestia'," Sunset Shimmer said before she focused on writing her message to her original home. After writing down what she needed in the journal, Shimmer closed the book and sighed again. "Now, we wait," she said.

"Well, how about we talk outside," Applejack suggested. "If Twilight's coming, we should wait by the portal for her."

"Besides, I want to know what you guys can do when fighting those 'Creatures of Grimm'," Rainbow Dash said as she grabbed her soccer ball.

"It would be a delight to learn more about Remnant," Rarity mentioned as the 18 teenagers left to wait outside.


Waiting around the Canterlot High Wondercolt statue, Fragment Hunter and the Rainbooms got comfortable before the 'Q and A session' began. "What do you all want to know first," Lapis asked.

"You said that the journal would be easier than sending regular letters," Sunset Shimmer mentioned. "What's communication like in Remnant?"

"Technology is pretty diverse in Remnant, but communication has been a troubling thing in the past. Long range messages were originally delivered by hand, but with weather, terrain, and especially Grimm, it was a big risk for messengers," Lapis explained. "When the Kingdom of Atlas created the 'Cross Continental Transmit System', or 'CCT' for short, they were able to give the four Kingdoms a means of messaging each other through electronic transmissions."

"Basically, you got the internet," Rainbow Dash summarized. "My turn! What do you all fight with against Grimm?"

"To answer that, we need to explain what Dust is," Lapis said while everyone was confused and Rarity looked slightly disgusted. Vixen pulled out a fan from her outfit and gave it to Lapis. "See the crystal in Vixen's fan? That's a Dust Crystal. The name comes from stories of humanity being born from the dust of Remnant. Discovering these powerful crystals that allowed them to control nature's wrath and fight back against the Grimm," Lapis explained.

"They come in four natural forms," Slate explained. "Earth, Fire, Wind, Water."

"HEART," Pinkie Pie randomly exclaimed as everyone looked at her strangely for a second.

Slate just rolled his eyes in amusement and spoke again. "Those four types can be combined naturally or artificially to create several others like Lightning, Ice, Steam, and even Gravity."

"There are many was of using Dust in combat," Layla continued. "Some prefer using Dust in its raw crystal form, but that needs the user to have a certain degree of focus and control. The most common form is actually turning the crystals into a powered form and using them to create ammunition for firearms. The bullets have numerous effects and its easy to use by just pulling the trigger of your weapon."

"There are people who even weave Dust into clothing or fuse it into their own bodies," Sunset Blaze elaborated.

"Those sound inspiring and painful," Rarity voiced about Blaze's addition to the Dust lecture. "So, what weapons do you all use?"

"I think it'll be easier if we go by teams," Cereza suggested as she stepped up first and revealed her tonfa from her jacket. "I use Semi-Auto Tonfa Pistols. They let me block attacks, fire at distant enemies, and enhance the damage of my punches."

"I have a scimitar and this," Layla said as she revealed an ornate gun that resembled a genie's lamp. "I also use Fire Dust and Water Dust in my jewelry."

"I've got some custom revolvers," Slate said. "Nothing too special."

Azalea pulled out a collapsible baton that had a revolver-like chamber with several different colored substances that Sunset Shimmer and the Rainbooms concluded were Dust types. "This is my Multi-Action Dust Baton. I call it, 'Gladion'. It uses Fire, Ice, Earth, Wind, Lightning, and Gravity Dust for a variety of attacks. I'm thinking of getting a second one for an upgrade."

"That one's the coolest," Rainbow Dash said as she got a closer look at it. "Who's next?"

"You think that's cool, just wait," Silver said as he pulled out something from underneath the back of his jacket. Showing a small engine, the local girls were confused until a guide bar popped out of the engine and revealed that the weapon was a modified chainsaw. Silver smirked as he saw the girls' faces and activated his weapon's secondary form by changing the guide bar into an extended chain and effectively turning the saw into a chain whip.

Changing the whip back into a chainsaw, the girls were amazed at the Wolf Faunus' weapon. "Groovy," Pinkie declared as Silver put his weapon away.

"You already saw what Vixen uses, so here's mine," Lapis said as she showed off her trident. Seeing crystals in the prongs of the weapon, Sunset Shimmer and the Rainbooms immediately figured out they were Dust.

Rua stepped up and showed off her shield to everyone before revealing the blades in it. As the shield turned into a giant throwing star, Rua tossed it into the air before using her Semblance to teleport next to it and grab the weapon before it could fall. Teleporting again, Rua appeared next to Vinyl and changed her shield into twin blades that fit on her arms. "How about this," Rua asked with a small cocky smile.

"Pretty cool," Sunset Shimmer admitted.

"You've seen Team FCSA and Team SLVR's weapons," Celadon remarked. "But now, it's time for the lovely ladies of Team SAFR to reveal what they use," she announced as she gestured to Sunset Blaze.

"Okay, Celadon. Enough with the buildup," Blaze said as she revealed her weapon. "I use a sword that doubles as a sniper rifle. And aside from that, I also have Fire Dust in my jacket," she mentioned as she created a small dancing flame in her palm as her jacket's back and sleeves lit up.

Rebecca showed off her armguards that not only stored a number of Dust-filled shuriken, but also was capable of retrieving them with a magnetic field. After that, she revealed her wakizashi and demonstrated her ninja skills with speed that had the Rainbooms looking all over the place.

"I use a special spear that can split apart into a whip," Celadon stated. "It's a simple, but refined weapon in my own opinion. It gets the job done very effectively."

Vinyl Aurum started to play around with the braces she wore on her arms and legs before music began to sound off from them. With a dubstep beat playing, the girl began to show off her Hard Light Projection Braces by showing the three weapons she could make from them. "My 'Rhythm Scratch' can make a katana, hard light disks, and clawed gauntlets when I want them to," she stated as she showed off the weapons made from blue light. "And they can cut through what I want them to when they do this," Vinyl said as the katana she held began to change from blue to gold and seemed to vibrate a little in her grip.

"I take it back," Rainbow said. "That's the coolest one," she exclaimed as she saw the weapons made from light.

"Where did you get these," Applejack asked as she checked Azalea's Gladion baton for herself.

"Some combat schools like Signal Academy actually have you make the weapons you want to use," Silver stated. "Vinyl was a student there herself."

"You made that," Sunset Shimmer and the Rainbooms exclaimed in surprise at Vinyl. The girl only nodded with a smile on her face.

"Anything else," Azalea asked as she reclaimed Gladion from Applejack.

"Yes," Fluttershy gently said. "Um, why is it that you all have names that are related to colors?"

"I asked that same thing earlier," Sunset Shimmer mentioned.

"You see, The Great War was started because of territorial disputes and because the Kingdom of Atlas back when it was known as Mantle decided that in order to protect its people from Grimm attacks, they would abolish all forms of art and self-expressionism," Rebecca explained.

"No music," Rainbow Dash asked.

"No painting," Pinkie Pie asked.

"No fashion," Rarity asked with a look of dread on her face.

"None of it. Which was ironic because their ally for that whole thing was Mistral, a Kingdom known for its rich culture in fashion and theater," Celadon stated. "But, the Emperor of Mistral kept art and other things alive in the central powers of their Kingdom. I'll be honest, my home can be filled with unsavory people."

"To rebel against this, the next generations of humanity were named after the most important and fundamental aspect in all art: Color," Layla explained. "The act of rebellion became a tradition and it still lives to this day in Remnant. With so many different names, cultures, and people, Remnant achieved unity through diversity."

"That's just so beautiful," Rarity said as she wiped a tear from her eye.

After a few more questions were answered, everyone started to just do their own thing while waiting for something involving the portal or Sunset Shimmer's journal to happen. While Shimmer was checking the book for any sign of a message written back, Rainbow Dash was sitting next to her and messing around her soccer ball. Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Slate, Rebecca, and Rua were playing cards with Pinkie somehow winning the most recent hand with four different jokers. "How is that possible," Rua asked in disbelief.

Rarity was painting Fluttershy's nails while Cereza, Celadon, and Lapis all checked their own makeup. Silver, Sunset Blaze, Layla, and Vixen were playing video games on their Scrolls. And Vinyl was listening to music with Azalea as Rainbow Dash spoke. "I don't think she's coming," the athletic guitar player said as she held her soccer ball in both hands. Suddenly, a girl with purple hair and a small purple dog came flying out of the portal.

"TWILIGHT!" Recognizing the girl, Sunset Shimmer and the Rainbooms immediately stood up and approached her. Fragment Hunter stayed behind as the newest arrival was helped to her feet.

"I've got some bad news about those new girls," Twilight said to Sunset Shimmer and the others until she saw the members of Fragment Hunter. "Um, hello," Twilight nervously greeted as she saw the twelve teenage warriors and that one of them looked exactly like Sunset Shimmer with different hair and a different skin tone. "Who are you guys?"

"This'll take a while," Sunset Blaze remarked.


Heading to the local Sweet Shoppe, Twilight and Spike were told who Fragment Hunter were and where they came from. In exchange, the princess explained about how the Dazzlings were creatures from Equestria called 'The Sirens' who used their voices to hypnotize other beings and had to feed on the negative energy from their victims. "That makes a lot of sense for what happened," Cereza said as she sat down with everyone.

"Anyways, I'm sure you have more to talk about than just these 'Sirens'," Sunset Blaze said as she looked at Twilight and the other girls.

"For starters, a certain blue-haired guitar player was just askin' about you, Twi," Applejack mentioned with a knowing smile.

Twilight blushed and started to play with her hair at the mention of who Applejack was talking about. "Flash Sentry was asking about me," she asked excitedly before she caught herself. "Isn't that nice," she said while sipping her milkshake to hide her embarrassment.

"Perhaps you would give us just the slightest bit of gossip from your world," Rarity asked Twilight.

"She's got an official title now," Spike mentioned before he imitated a fanfare. "The Princess of Friendship!"

"One, I'm still getting used to the fact that there is a talking dog right here in front of us," Rua said. "Two, what kind of a title is that?"

"I can talk in my second form," Silver stated to his teammate.

"Yes, but that's your Semblance. You can change back," Rua countered. "This is an animal that can naturally talk."

Interrupting the discussion, Sunset Shimmer spoke up to voice her opinion on what Spike said. "Wow, that's really impressive. Guess you really were Princess Celestia's prized pupil," she said as she rubbed her arm. Azalea and Sunset Blaze picked up on this body language and wondered if they could help Shimmer out a little.

"She's even got her own castle," Spike stated.

Hearing this, Rarity panicked and grabbed at Twilight. "A castle?! You have your own castle," she nearly yelled as she spilled Twilight's drink over her blouse. Embarrassed by what she did, Rarity cleaned up her friend's top and sheepishly complimented the princess.

"Eh, my old school is actually a remodeled castle itself," Sunset Blaze offhandedly mentioned.

"What's new here," Twilight asked. "I mean, besides your school becoming the target of dangerous magical creatures from Equestria? And the warriors from a third somewhat unrelated world," she mentioned as she eyed the two Sunsets and saw Vinyl resembling another girl that walked past the large group.

"Well, there's this," Rainbow Dash said as she showed Twilight the video of herself transforming while playing her guitar. "Sweet, right? Happens to all of us when we play."

Surprised by the fact that her friends still had magic from the Fall Formal, Twilight began to assess the situation. "Hmm. My crown was returned to Equestria, but some of its magic must have remained here at Canterlot High. Now that we're all back together, we can use that magic on the sirens. Just like when we were able to use it on Sunset Shimmer when she turned into that horrifyingly awful winged monster," she theorized and exclaimed before seeing that Sunset Shimmer was still next to her. "No offense," Twilight apologized.

"None taken," Sunset Shimmer sighed. Sunset Blaze however, could easily sense her troubles and knew that she was still haunted by what she did before.

"They'll never know what hit them," Rainbow Dash declared before she started preforming a few martial arts moves and shouts. As she threw one more punch, Applejack effortlessly caught Rainbow's fist before she spoke up.

"We've got nothin' to worry about now that Twilight's back."

"And a small army of trained warriors to back you up," Vixen said with a giggle.

"The sooner we do this, the better. Any idea where the Dazzlings might be," Twilight asked.

Pinkie frantically raised her hand while she was still enjoying her milkshake. Finishing it in one go, she sighed in content before explaining what she was going to say. "There's a big party tonight for all the bands who signed up to be in the showcase! That would include the Dazzlings."

Everyone turned to each other and smiled as they now had a plan. "Looks like we have a party to crash," Twilight, Rua, and Cereza all said as Twilight cleaned the chocolate off of Pinkie's face.

Author's Note:

Finished with this chapter. Twilight meets up with Fragment Hunter and a few more questions are answered for the Rainbooms.

Next up, my take on the party and what happens when you put a bunch of teenagers that can fight hordes of demons in a room with three scheming magical beings from another world. I'll just say this right now. Even just one member of Fragment Hunter can handle the Dazzlings on their own. But, you might be surprised by who is going to get involved after the whole "Friendship Is Magic" fail.

Remember, check the links or ask me if you want to learn more about the members of Fragment Hunter.