• Published 4th Sep 2017
  • 522 Views, 51 Comments

Popcorn - Popcorn Pony



A small town pegasus accepts a task much larger than herself. Can she complete her task or will the pressure prove too great?

  • ...
0
 51
 522

Chapter 10

Pocornia heard the sound of combat receding behind her as she ran down the path. Leaving her friend to fight one of her own battles deeply troubled her. It was not suppose to be this way, she thought. She believed the nightmares she had been facing were of her own making, and thus her trauma to bear. Whatever consequences resulted from her failures were hers to suffer, not her friends. But Octavia had insisted the opposite was the truth, and had stood her ground for Pocornia. As she ran Pocornia found herself wondering why she would have such friends, how she could ever deserve them. But behind her Octavia was playing out her role in this terrible game. Pocornia had to trust she would win.

Pocornia looked ahead of her, the main path lined with trees as opposed to flowers. Long since shrouded in a cloak of darkness she could not see the end of the path before her. She reasoned that the change in the path’s pattern may imply that she was about to cross into the next portion of the gauntlet. She hoped that were true, for if that were not the case then she knew only one other alternative could be possible. She would be consumed by the darkness.

The darkness seemed to weave around her. She felt it. She knew. The darkness embraced and emanated fear, suffering, and death, but she commanded herself to continue running into the shadows. It was only fitting, she thought, considering what she did to the one she loved…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their hooves clapped in dull thuds against the floor as Songbird and her bodyguards walked along the cold hospital hallway. Near the end of the hall they turned and entered a private room. Sprawled atop a generic hospital bed within lay Octavia, battered, bruised, and bleeding from at least a dozen wounds. A trio of nurses surrounded the bed, tending to her injuries. Songbird watched for a moment in silence, momentarily stunned by the sight of her friend. How had this happened, Songbird wondered. What kind of battle had Octavia been engaged in? She was about to ask when her eyes crossed those of one of the nurses, Chief Nurse Redheart, whom she knew personally. A socialite like herself, she and Redheart had crossed paths during countless social gatherings at an upscale shops and parties only the rich, famous, or those with political power could enjoy. Nurse Redheart was none of the three, but did care for those who were. It was the one aspect of fame a hospital could bestow, Songbird supposed.

“Is she awake?” Songbird asked.

“Give us a minute,” Nurse Redheart fitfully replied.

“Songbird?” she heard Octavia ask in a voice laced with pain. And something else. “Songbird?”

“Yes, Octavia, it’s me.”

Octavia attempted to move her head, an action which caused the nurses around her to become agitated. Redheart admonished her to remain still.

“Why are you here, Songbird?” Octavia asked.

Songbird stepped closer to the bed. “To see you,” she replied.

Octavia lay still for a moment, then shook her head. “I’ll ask again, Songbird. Why are you here?”

Nurse Redheart and Songbird exchanged looks, then the former motioned the others to leave the room. Songbird waited for them to clear, then stepped closer to the bed and looked down at Octavia. Blood still oozed from a cut along her side, but Redheart was working on it. Octavia looked up at her, and against that gaze Songbird could not maintain her lie.

“Luna visited me.”

Octavia stared at her for a moment, then let her eyes rest and shift to the floor. “In your dreams?” She asked.

Songbird shook her head. “No. But I wish she had.”

“Did she tell you?” Octavia asked.

Songbird did not understand Octavia’s question. She stood mute, waiting for clarification.

“About Pocornia and Sapphire?” Octavia asked.

Songbird’s eyes thoughtfully circled the room. She did not know the answer to Octavia’s question, she only knew what Luna had told her. “Some. She told me Pocornia must complete some task, and about the barrier. But that is not where she wants me to go.”

Songbird jumped with a start as a new voice issued from a corner of the room, a voice laced with anger.

“And where would she want you to go?”

Songbird looked just behind Nurse Redheart. “Vinyl Scratch…” she said, her voice a near whisper. “I…”

Vinyl Scratch had been sitting in a chair, partially hidden by a combination of bad lighting and Nurse Redheart. She looked quite annoyed, Songbird thought, if not near rage. It didn’t take long for that emotion to manifest.

“I asked you a question, Songbird! Where would Princess Luna want you to go?”

Octavia glanced up at Songbird. “Luna visited her as well”

Songbird raised a hoof before Vinyl could answer respond. “To look for someone, Vinyl, someone important to Pocornia.”

Vinyl Scratch quickly stood and moved next to Nurse Redheart. The latter continued to dress Octavia’s primary wound as if nothing else were occurring in the room.

“Celestia said Pocornia is not a killer!”

“I know…” Songbird replied.

“Which means…” Vinyl Scratch looked down at Octavia, eyes fixated on the blood still oozing from the slash along her side. Her next words were stated softly, a mixture of astonishment, relief, and desperation. “Sapphire is still alive...”

Octavia mentally connected the dots and looked up at Songbird. “You are going to find Sapphire, aren’t you? That is where Luna told you to go?”

Songbird looked them both over, then nodded. “She said it was my turn. So yes, that is where I am going.”

Vinyl Scratch glared at her, anger mixed with tears. “Do you not see?” she shouted. “Do you want to wind up like this?”

Octavia’s eyes widened as she watched Songbird turn on her hooves and leave the room, her bodyguards in tow. “You are just going to let her go?” Vinyl roared.

Octavia glanced over to Vinyl Scratch. “Sometimes, its best not to question Songbird…”

“Luna told me to bring everypony to Canterlot Castle after you were released from the hospital, I can’t do that if she is going to run off like a knight on some sacred mission!” Vinyl complained.

“Sometimes, it’s best not to question Luna either,” Octavia replied. She lay her head back on her pillow. “She will be fine,” Octavia said, a gentleness coating her voice.

Vinyl Scratch eyed Octavia harshly for a moment, then softened a bit as a thought came to mind. “Songbird and Pocornia have one thing in common,” Vinyl said. “They can both be annoying as heck, but both look out for their friends.”

Vinyl retreated to her former seat, leaned back and allowed her arms drop as her body relaxed. Her observation had provided some comfort. She wondered if the thought had truly been her own.

A moment later she heard Octavia call her name, a whisper from the darkness.

“Vinyl…”

Vinyl Scratch turned her head. She hadn’t noticed Nurse Redheart had left the room.

“Hmmm…?” She replied.

There was a moment of hesitation, then Octavia spoke only two words.

“Follow Songbird.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Songbird had made her way out of the hospital, intent on beginning her search. She had no idea where Sapphire was, but Luna had informed her of someone who did and had stated that someone would be waiting for her following her visit with Octavia. She began to make her way toward the edge of town and a line of low foothills just beyond. She dismissed her bodyguards. She would have to do this alone.

After a few minutes she found herself at the base of a small hillock, the rise tilting to crest about one hundred yards above. She looked up and saw a large figure standing at the crest, staring down at her. The figure was imposing, massive, at least four times her size, she thought. A wild beast, to be sure. And one which radiated menace. It had to be The Werewolf. Silhouetted in the moonlight he stood motionless, simply staring down at her, his eyes a hint of red glowing softly in the darkness.

They stared at each other, the night gone still around them. She was trying to think of something to say, for surely this was the one Luna had told her about, when he slowly lifted his arm and pointed toward something behind her. She thought that puzzling, but turned on her hooves to look. Her eyes immediately filled with anger when they fell upon what was behind, what the Werewolf was pointing to. An unexpected pursuer.

Her manager, Ms.Harshwhinny, was running up to her.

“Songbird, there you are!”

Songbird immediately felt herself fill with rage. “What are you doing here?” She spat, taking a step toward Harshwhinny.

Her manager trotted toward her, talking all the while. “Like I said before, you can’t just run around and do whatever you want, you have to attend to your concert!” Ms.Harshwhinny paused just next to Songbird, reaching out to grab her shoulder.

“Get your hooves off of me!” Songbird shouted.

“This is not where you are supposed to be!” Ms.Harshwhinny screamed.

Songbird slipped out of Ms.Harshwhinney’s grip and took a step back, glaring at the audacity of her manager. How dare she…

“I told you what would happen if you ever yelled at me again!” Songbird hissed.

Harshwhinny glared at her. “You are under contract! Now you will come back with me…”

Harshwhinny made the mistake of reaching for Songbird again. In response Songbird struck out, swinging her hoof and punching her manager in the side. Ms.Harshwhinny heaved in response to the blow, wheezing in pain. However again she tried to grab Songbird’s shoulder. Songbird blocked, knocking Harshwhinney’s arm aside and followed with a punch to her chest. A thrill surged through Songbird, she was actually enjoying this. Long time in coming, she thought. She struck out again, catching Harshwhinny in the side. In response Harshwhinney yelped and began to stagger backwards, trying to distance herself from Songbird. Something had snapped, Songbird had heard it.

Songbird advanced towards Ms.Harshwhinny, throwing another punch. Her powerful strike met Harshwhinney’s jaw and sent her crashing to the ground. Harshwhinny lay atop the cold, unforgiving earth as Songbird stood over her. She looked up fearfully at Songbird, but saw only an uncaring expression dominating her face and hatred blazing from the eyes which usually hid beneath her bangs.

“Why?” she asked.

“Shut up,” Songbird replied. “Shut up, shut up, shut up!”

Songbird raised her hoof to deliver another blow at the pony below her, but just as she was about to deliver it something grabbed her arm. She turned instantly to look. A hand, large, covered in fur, fingers ending in sharp, black claws now held her in an iron grip. Above, a pair of yellow glowing eyes looked down at her.

“Enough,” the Werewolf said.

Still overcome with rage Songbird shook her arm. To no avail.

“But he sent her!” she wailed.

“Yes,” the Werewolf replied, “but she is not your enemy.”

Her eyes were still locked with his and she continued to try and free her arm. Her breathing was both laboured and quick.

“I told her…” she said, “I told her what would happen…”

The Werewolf simply held her arm and stared at her, his expression one of both tolerance and finality. Then his eyes moved, to rest on something behind her.

“Hello, Youngling,” he said.

Songbird paused her struggles and turned to look. There, next to the still prostrate form of Ms. Harshwhinny, stood Vinyl Scratch, her eyes wide in a look of horror. But she wasn’t looking at the Werewolf.

“What is wrong with you?!” Vinyl said, in a voice charged with astonishment and accusation.

Songbird blinked, her arm going slack. The rage left her as quickly as it had arrived.

“Vinyl…”

The other shook her head. “What is wrong with you?”

Songbird had no answer. All she could do was stand there, silently returning Vinyl’s accusatory gaze. She suddenly felt as if her entire world had irrevocably changed. She let her eyes fall on Ms. Harshwhinny, still lying prostrate on the ground, moaning softly. The Werewolf released his grip, her hoof slowly coming to rest beneath her. She felt herself growing oddly weak. She looked back at Vinyl Scratch.

“Vinyl…”

The Werewolf spoke. His voice was deep, guttural, menacing.

“You, Youngling,” he said, gesturing to Vinyl Scratch, “take the other and go. Return to your hospital, where they will see to her.”

Vinyl stood her ground, shaking her head. Her anger was clearly evident as she pointed to Songbird.

“She deserves to pay for what she did!”

“And she will,” the Werewolf replied, “perhaps this very night. But that is not for you to say.”

Harshwhinny moaned again, trying to stand.

“I’m going to tell Octavia about this.” Vinyl said.

“Go!” The Werewolf snarled.

Vinyl Scratch moved to Harshwhinny’s side. Casting one last look of righteous indignation upon Songbird she helped the injured pony up.

“Come on, lady,” Vinyl said, “this will sort itself out later.”

Songbird watched for a moment as they departed, her mind still in turmoil. Although she thought herself somewhat justified in beating Ms.Harshwhinny for not heeding the warning she had previously given, she also knew Vinyl was right. Someday, somehow, she would be held to account for her actions. But she also did not understand why the Dark Pony had sent her. Why send Harshwhinny, she thought, a terrible choice to play a distractive part in his theater of deception and horror…

“We must go,” the Werewolf said.

He began to draw a magical line in the air with one claw then used his hands to rip open a foggy portal. Beyond was...something...

“Shall we?” He asked, gesturing forward. Why not, Songbird, thought, and stepped through. The Werewolf entered after her, the portal closing behind him.

Songbird had appeared in a forest. The trees around them reminded her of a thorny rose bush, prickly spines sticking outward like spears all along the tree trunks. She felt even brushing up against the trees would prove to be a frightful yet quick death, an experience she hoped to avoid. She felt dizzy upon taking her first step through the forest, her fear gradually degrading. Quickly the events of the last few minutes fell from her mind, as if having occurred long ago.

“What is this?” she asked.

“A spell…” The Werewolf answered. “It will pass given time...”

“Is he here?” Songbird asked.

Songbird’s eyes widen, a determined look forming on her face.

“He...is not,” the werewolf replied. “We must move on, as his world is unexpectedly small. Maintaining the secrecy of our presence here will be difficult.”

A deadpanned look formed on Songbird’s face. “I don’t care, lets go,” she said.

The werewolf began to chuckle.

Songbird defiantly tilted her head, looking the werewolf square in the eyes. “What?”

“You entertain me,” the werewolf replied.

Songbird followed the Werewolf through a thicket of trees, meticulously choosing where to plant her hooves before stepping forward to ensure she did not end up with a thorn through her hoove. She heaved lightly, muffling the sound as best she could.

“Are you alright?” the Werewolf asked her.

“It’s nothing,” Songbird replied.

The Werewolf turned and picked Songbird up off of her hooves. “I will carry you until the spell wears off.”

Songbird did not challenge the werewolf for transportation rights. She rested in his arms as he trekked along the forest. It seemed like mere minutes before a tall parallel structure came into view. It looked hard like a wall, perhaps a castle wall, she reasoned. She wondered if she were on the Dark Pony’s doorstep.

“Does he live here?” she asked?

“Yes…” The werewolf answered. “Wait…”

The werewolf noticed an armored patrol of dark knights scouring the nearby wilderness. He reasoned they had as yet seen them. He quickly but quietly took two steps down a gradual slope to their left and lay down. His intent was to use the slope to interdict their line of sight, and wait the situation out.

“What is going on?” Songbird whispered, feeling somewhat peeved by the werewolf’s sudden actions.

“A patrol, be quiet!”

Although she did not want to antagonize the Werewolf a strong uneasiness had overcame her senses. She felt anxious, waiting for something bad to happen. Unexpectedly, the werewolf stood up and ran towards a section of the wall she had seen previously.

“Hop on my back!” He commanded.

Songbird quickly piggybacked onto the werewolf, wrapping her arms around his neck. The Werewolf scaled the castle wall in an athletically astute manner like he had done it many times before. Once atop the wall, the werewolf quickly dashed into a guard tower. “These things are never guarded,” he commented.

The Werewolf pointed something out to Songbird. “See that?”

Songbird followed the Werewolf’s finger towards a gap at the base of the castle’s inner wall.

“Through there, down into the dungeon…”

Songbird growled rather animalistically. “A dungeon, he put her in a dungeon?”

“Have you regained your vision yet?” The Werewolf asked.

Songbird blinked feeling unusually nauseous. “Almost...lets just keep moving.”

The Werewolf’s black lips peeled back into what appeared to be an enthusiastic pup like smile. He admired Songbird’s determination. Both she and Octavia seemed most willing to allow their aggression to fuel their actions. If they were wolves, he thought, he would allow them into his pack. But they are merely ponies wanting to help their friends, not predators like him. A pity, he thought.

“Very well…”

The pair crept along the wall and out of the stone tower, the Werewolf in the lead. As they moved Songbird thought she could hear a whispering sound, coming from the walls themselves. She couldn’t understand the words but the tone appeared to be clear. The walls were screaming, attempting to inform on them. To tell everyone intruders had come. She felt herself grow cold, but the Werewolf appeared unconcerned about the walls and their message. All he cared about was not being spotted by the patrolling sentries.

They came to a small opening at the base of one wall. Songbird flattened and pulled herself forward, her stomach scraping along the prickly stone rocks. She left a few spots of blood behind in the tunnel as the werewolf pulled her out, but she did not care. Together they skulked along a torch lit hallway, both worried their silhouettes might alert a guard walking patrol along some intersecting hall. Or that one might suddenly come bursting through one of the wooden doors spaced throughout.

“How much further?” Songbird anxiously asked.

The werewolf pointed at a door. The indicated door looked different, having been reinforced by a metal frame and additional woodwork attached to it. The werewolf approached and rolled the door open. To her consternation It made a lot of noise, but the Werewolf rushed Songbird in and closed the door behind them.

Songbird stood atop a stairway, the steps below were both narrow and steep. The werewolf patiently walked behind her while she meticulously calculated her movements navigating the stairs.

“Who designs stairs like these?” Songbird asked.

“I have long legs…” The werewolf jokingly answered.

Songbird denied herself a rebuke, more focused on the situation at hoof. She continued down the stairway until she reached another braced door. Like before, the werewolf opened it for her, letting her through. The hallway songbird entered wasn’t as well lit. She saw two, maybe three lit torches from a total of about ten lining the walls. She wondered why that was.

“Is this it?” Songbird asked.

The Werewolf did not respond. She turned to look behind her and saw him struggling to shut the door they had just passed through. She turned to help, but instantly stopped dead in her tracks as something grabbed her from the side. A hoof jutted out from between the cell bars of a door to her right, grasping for her mane. She shrieked, then instantly scolded herself for having dropped her guard and making a noise loud enough to draw unwanted attention.

“Quiet, little one!” The Werewolf snarled, turning toward her.

Songbird sidestepped and wiggled free of whoever was trying to grab her. Just as she was about to take a relaxing breath, the Werewolf snatched her up. She struggled, a sudden additional fear surging through her as thoughts of betrayal raced through her mind. The werewolf gave her no time to consider any options, however, as he quickly opened the same cell door and threw her inside. She tumbled, the cell door shut and locked by the time she regained her feet. Someone, or something else, was in the cell, but for the moment she ignored that fact and advanced, railing against the cell bars with her hooves. Her hope was if she drew unwanted attention the Werewolf would share whatever fate awaited her. The Werewolf turned to look at her. In the distance she heard the dull thud of approaching hooves.

“Be quiet or you will die,” the Werewolf said. From the distance another voice boomed.

“Whos there?” roared a deep voice.

The Werewolf turned. “Captain, everything is under control,” he calmly replied.

Through the door another figure stepped, a stallion, armed and armoured like a Knight. Songbird didn’t recognize him, but from his demeanor didn’t believe he would turn out to be a friend.

“Why are you here, what are you doing?” the stallion the Werewolf had addressed as Captain asked.

“I was escorting another prisoner to the cell,” the werewolf answered.

“I was not informed of a new arrival,” the Captain retorted. “Explain yourself.”

“I was acting on the orders of another,” the Werewolf replied. “One whom I believe you are familiar with.”

The Captain appeared to not like that explanation, a brief moment of concern, or perhaps even submission, crossing his face. Songbird saw an opportunity.

“He is lying!” Songbird shouted. “He helped me sneak in here!”

Secretly the werewolf couldn’t believe Songbird’s apparent self destructive approach to the situation. He thought the most effective manner in which to respond was to treat her like a fool. If she believed what he was about to say, it could save her life.

At least for the moment.

He leaned closer to the bars of the cell. “Isn’t that the truth…” he whispered. “Honestly, why did you trust me? Of course I was leading you to your doom…”

The Captain appeared delighted with this revelation, a sly but wicked smile crossing his face. He looked at her for a moment, then returned his gaze to the Werewolf.

“Do nothing of this sort again without informing me,” he stated. “I don’t care who sent you.”

Gracing Songbird with one final look of disdain the Captain turned and exited the room. Songbird looked at the Werewolf, her mouth agape.

“What is wrong with you?” Songbird demanded.

The Werewolf chuckled. “Seems you were asked that same question not that long ago,” he said. “But worry not, little one. Things are not as they may currently seem.”

He studied her for a moment. It appeared he was re-evaluating her, Songbird thought.

“You are needed here for a future event,” he said, turning to leave. “Do not disappoint me.”

“What, no!” Songbird cried. “No!”

From the hallway she heard his voice one more time.

“And say hello to your friend!” he yelled back.

From behind her she immediately heard a noise. Events were transpiring faster than she could process, she thought, but yeah, right...

Songbird timidly turned around, raising an arm between herself and the source of the noise. She gasped, her mind stuttering to process the vision before her, and the form of who was attached to the wall by a shackle and chain.

“What the hell…” she murmured. “Sapphire, how long have you been here….”

Sapphire offered no response. Her mane and tail had been unkempt for some time, the once ocean blue color she had been known for now gone. Her coat littered with clumps of hair mixed with bald spots, as if parts of her hair had been violently ripped away. Her exposed skin looked dried like splintered leather. Loose bandages clung to two of her legs. While that concerned Songbird what truly sent tremors of horror through her was the condition of Sapphires face.

That she had been beaten was clear to Songbird. It was a horrific sight, cuts, scrapes, and bruises which had swollen over. Sapphire bled from her lips, and her eyes bulged from sockets. Obviously the beating had been recent.

Songbird felt her heart break. It wasn’t supposed to be this way. Not in Equestria.

Songbird stepped closer to Sapphire, but in response the other retreated farther toward the corner of the cell.

“No...no more,” Sapphire croaked.

She doesn’t recognize me, Songbird thought.

“Sapphire, it’s me,” she said, softly.

Sapphire began to cry. “Please...no…” she wailed.

Songbird paused, staring at her friend for a moment. Nothing in her life had prepared her for a moment such as this. But there was a lot of that going around.

She suddenly realized why the Werewolf had left her here. And if she figured it right, she didn’t have much time.

“Sapphire, I am not here to hurt you,” she said, gently, soothingly. “I am here to save you.”

Sapphire continued to cry for a moment, her right leg extended in a defensive arc before her. Slowly, ever so slowly, she lifted her head. She seemed to struggle, Songbird thought, to make eye contact. Or for her eyes to focus. She heard Sapphire swallow hard. She stood perfectly still.

It took a few moments, but finally Sapphire spoke.

“Songbird?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The halls of Canterlot castle were silent, none of its inhabitants stirring within. The moon shined down over the sleeping city below. All seemed well.

On a balcony high overhead a conversation of great importance was taking place. Two figures stood, looking out over the vista before them. Both were regal, and both were troubled.

“Do you believe his plan will succeed?” Celestia asked.

Luna nodded, quietly informing her older sister of the seriousness of the situation..

“Why?” Celestia questioned.

“He has improved his skills considerably. I am no longer able to keep up with him.” Luna explained.

“There must be hope,” Celestia added.

“Popcorn’s friends have told us that she is not easily deterred when she sets her mind to a difficult task,” was Luna’s reply. She tilted her head ever so slightly. “I have faith.”

“Yes,” Celestia agreed.

“There is a concern, of course. I was not able to track her fast enough,” Luna stated. “She trusts him.”

Celestia was silent for a moment, then asked, “Her friends, Luna, what is their role in this?”

“I had to…” Luna paused, creating the image of a chessboard between her and her sister. She reached and pushed a Rook forward. “...move some pieces into place.””

Celestia nodded. “Hopefully, a decisive move,” she replied.

Celestia reached for the board and moved her Queen to take Luna’s Rook. A brief look of surprise crossed Luna’s face, so brief most would never have noticed it. But Celestia did.

“Have you considered allowing the situation play out without your intervention,” Celestia questioned?

“Why would I do that?” Luna replied, surprise replaced with irritation. She reached and moved a Bishop to threaten Celestia’s King.

“Those you put in play...they have been successful before, have they not?”

“Yes. But Pocornia is the random element. Her vision...is easily manipulated.”

Celestia paused, then moved a Knight to take Luna’s Bishop. “Check,” she said.

Luna stepped back, suddenly feeling quite dumbstruck. She was typically much better at the game than this. “A very astute move, my sister....”

Celestia put her hooves together, empathizing with Luna. “Sister, there have been moments in my life when I had to let a situation degrade before intervening. I did not always want to utilize this approach and often felt conflicted. But somehow events tended to resolve in my favor.”

Luna met Celestia’s gaze. The former felt her sister’s look harsh yet fair. “Luna, you are not responsible for this…” Celestia stated.

Luna grimaced, suddenly uncomfortable. “I…”

“It was a case of mistaken identity,” Celestia added. “Even Discord acknowledges this…”

Luna sat quietly.

“It was not your fault…” Celestia stated matter of factly.

“He does not care,” Luna replied, shaking her head.

“I know,” Celestia replied. “But the line between the dream world and the spirit world could not have a better guardian than you.”

There was silence for a moment. The chess-board faded away.

“Celestia, if we...if I...am not to blame then why did we have the scholars rewrite the history of the underlying events?” Luna asked. “Why would that be necessary?”

Celestria’s response was immediate. “The decision was political. We needed the populace to have faith in our rule.”

“The elements of harmony were not enough?” Luna asked.

Celestria turned to look out over the city below. A wry smile played over her face.

“Not to inspire ponies, no…” she replied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howling winds announced their sorrow across the lands, Poconria listened to them while walking. Although it seemed odd to respond, she replied with a tender howl. Moments later, her ears twitched having been stroked by a mournful response.

“What?” She asked, not understanding what had been communicated to her.

The winds died down, leaving Pocornia in suspense. She was upset with that and felt like the winds were unfairly alienating her. The silence fostered a sense of loneliness that crept up on Pocornia like a wolf on the hunt. “Mmmmmm…”She hummed, her eyes darting to and fro in search of anything worrisome. She pleadingly whined, hoping the winds would acknowledge her.

The dispassionate wind kept to themselves. Pocornia sulked in her loneliness. She whined a second time looking up after having seen something move in her peripheral vision. It darted between two trees. The unforgiving forest offered assailants many places to hide and wait for the perfect moment to ambush her. She double checked the color of the red flowers along the path then sped up into a light trot. The path must end soon, she thought casting her vision as far out as she could. She saw the tell tale sign of the next barrier, the subtle blurriness floating mid-air.

“Thats it!” She happily exclaimed.

“AwooooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo!”

Pocornia’s spine tingled, a sharp chill running down it. She shivered while turning around. She saw a white wolf, it was alone and it was about her size. Its long and fluffy fur made it resemble a lion more than a wolf. It had a fierce aura about it that bothered Pocornia. A dark tint layer overtop of it as if a shadow casted by something massive were near, but nothing else was there except her and the wolf.

Pocornia wondered why had it followed her into the gauntlet?

Pocornia did not know why...and she did not want to know. A heavy pit formed in her stomach making it churn, she swallowed feeling nauseous. Her fear of the predator drying her mouth out. She felt sick. She slowly turned away, moving towards the barrier.

“Awoooooooooo!” The wolf howled, running after Pocornia.

Pocornia thought it best to make her way to the barrier, but to do so in a relaxed manner. She walked slowly and calmly. The distance between her and it was great so all she thought she needed to do was pay attention to her surroundings while approaching the barrier.

The wolf continued to charge, frothy slobber dripping from his mouth. Pocornia continued to ignore the wolf, now close to the barrier.

Pocornia stopped, standing before the barrier. She planted her hooves against the barrier instantaneously regretting her actions. The wall felt sticky like jello clinging to her fur. She fitfully pulled away, but the walls hold on her was too strong. The wolf stopped to watch ocornia, expressing his delight through a throaty chuckle. Tears ran down Pocornia’s face as she fought against the wall, her panicked eyes moving all around. “Eh, eh, ahhhhh!” She shrieked just before her head had been submerged, her limbs gradually being drawn in. Her vision went dark there was nothing within for her to perceive...

Author's Note:

In loving memory of my mom whom's personality has been the basis of Songbird's portrayal throughout Popcorn; Love, Strength and the insatiable need to shield those she loved from danger...