• Published 25th Aug 2017
  • 702 Views, 15 Comments

Blitz And Balance - Ennelly Von Swortts



legend says that when fear and darkness run whild ocross Equestria, only harmony and Chaos together can wake the endless balance, and an enemy must take up the mantle when Sun and Moon fall.

  • ...
 15
 702

24 The War Council

Author: Ennelly Von Swortts

Co-Author: ElectroPHX228 (blitz)

Chapter Twenty-four: The War Council

The sun came over the horizon with all the grace Solena gave to lift it into the sky, leaving Starswirl to wonder who was handling it. The couple times he’d watched Princess Luna move it had always seemed somewhat forced and jerky. But the town now revealed in front of him was one he had never even heard of, let alone seen. For one thing, it had two castles. One was made of black stone, while the other looked like crystal. “Well... It seems some things have changed in my absence.” He mumbled to himself.

He took note of the tents packed tight against the Northern edge of the town, taking up around a third of the entirety of the space.

Slowly, he walked into the town. There were quite a few ponies walking around the market he was in, including a few royal guard watching over things. But it was strange... These guards were not just Unicorns. There were also Pegasi from the Legion, as well as Earth Ponies who wore the armor of Princess Solina. He calmly walked up to them. “Tell me... Where can I find the Princess Twilight Sparkle?”

...0...

Twilight looked at the old Unicorn stallion with his long grey beard. “Princess Who?” She asked, her eyebrows scrunching together in confusion.

He sighed in annoyance. “The Princess of the Sun, Solena?” He sighed again at her look of growing confusion. “Sister of the Lunar Princess Luna?” She blinked.

“Wait, are you talking about Celestia?” when he only stared at her blankly, she sighed. “I know of four Princesses here in Equestria. There’s me, Twilight, Princess of magic and Friendship, the Princess of Love, Cadence, Luna, Princess of the night, and Celestia, Princess of the Sun, sister of Luna.”

“What are you going on about?” Starswirl asked in annoyance.

Twilight looked over to the dragon dusting some self. “Spike, take a letter.” She gave a moment for him to get what he needed in claw. “Dear Luna, I have an urgent question pertaining to your family. Have you heard of a Princess Solena? I expect a quick reply. Signed, Twilight Sparkle.” Spike looked up to her once he’d finished writing. She nodded to him, before sending it away to Canterlot.

Starswirl looked on in surprise. “He spent all that time writing it, only to burn it?”

Twilight smiled at him. “It’s not that simple. You see, due to the nature of dragon fire, it can be used to send messages instantaneously.”

As if on queue, Spike burped and Starswirl was left with an open jaw as a letter fell out of the fire to land in the Dragon’s waiting claws. He quickly opened it, and did a quick scan of the contents. “Huh... Didn’t know that. Apparently Princess Solena and Princess Celestia are the same pony. Turns out, Solina was her original name, and the last time Luna heard it was before her banishment a thousand years ago. Oh, she also wants to know where you learned the name.” He looked up at Twilight.

She blinked. “If we find her, I’m learning more about this.” She stated. “But for now...” She sighed as she glanced at Starswirl. “For now, we need a war council.”

...0...

I stared at Luna. “Did you just say...”

She nodded. “It seems Starswirl has returned with news of our sister’s location, as well as thy Enemy’s movement. To Ponyville we must go.”

“I haven’t seen him almost since Aurora...” I mumbled. Luna was saddened by the comment.

“If only things were that simple, things could have been different.” She replied.I nodded slowly as we walked toward where Luna’s carriage was sitting, while Luna ordered it prepared.

A few hours later, we landed in front of Twilight’s castle. By the time we made it to her throne room, everypony else was already there. I nodded to Silent as the blonde maned bat-pony looked over to me. “Lunar Captain Bloodmoon, I trust you and your Sanguinarians are doing well?” I asked.

She smiled at me. “Of coarse, Queen Chrysalis.” She replied with a nod.

I found a place next to Luna right behind Twilight’s throne. I nodded to her with a faint smile, while taking note of the worry wafting off her. “Thank you everypony for coming. I think it’s safe to say this is a war council. Just this morning, Starswirl the Bearded came to my door with some rather... Disturbing news. About four thousand years ago, him and his closest friends sacrificed themselves to remove a threat from Equestria by taking him to Limbo, a place between worlds where time does not exist. Or stands still.In order to do it, they themselves were in Limbo as result.

“As of last night,the Shadow Pony was released by Fear-“ Silver raised his hoof, interrupting her. She gestured for him to speak with a sigh.

He nodded his thanks. “If this Shadow Pony is who I think it is, he is a powerful tool of fear.Balance itself had to step in to remove Stygion in order for us to restore the balance in the first war against Fear.”

Starswirl raised an eyebrow as distrust came off him in waves. “I believe that name was mentioned. But I want to know who you, and your so called Order of Balance is.”

I raised my eyebrow. “Starswirl, if it wasn’t for Silver Quickdraw, we wouldn’t even know what we’re up against. So please don’t pick a fight for no reason.” He held my look for several moments.

“Anyways, Starswirl is the only survivor of him and his friends as far as we know. He also confirmed Celestia is in the hands of the Enemy. Last he saw, she was alive.” I felt Starswirl’s guilt, which gave me insight to what happened. “Things are looking grim, and this is only the beginning, but we will find a way to win this war. Luna, has there been any word from the Crystal Empire?”

Luna shook her head sadly as Twilight looked back at her. “I fear not, Twilight. We can only hope they are safe.”A wave of sadness passed over the group.

Twilight sighed, letting her head drop. “Equestria is dropping into chaos, and we have no way to communicate with the Crystal Empire. And Equestria is just too spread out to feasibly protect with who we’re against. Any ideas?” Twilight looked around the group, waiting for somepony to speak up.

“Maybe we go and hide in the sun?” Ditsy asked. Everypony just looked at her. “It was that, or try gathering everypony around Ponyville and Canterlot. Figured there are less shadows on the sun.”

“That... Might be a good idea... If it were even possible. Gathering everypony together, that is, not trying to live on the sun.” Twilight had a vary thoughtful pose on her face. I felt a slight confidence start to grow as she formed an idea in her head.

I couldn’t help it. I really couldn’t. “I hope your idea is better then charge in and face him head on.” I commented dryly. The glee now wafting off the Princess was more worrisome then when the ponies turned my children down the path to starvation. As much as I wanted to blame Starlight, I didn’t have the right. I did, after all, try and take over Equestria on more than one occasion...

“Not quite. But close. It’ll take a few days to work out every little detail, how about we meet again here in four days?” Everypony nodded as I stepped back and walked toward the door. I had made it only a few steps down the hall when Starswirl teleported in front of me.

I raised my eyebrow at him. “There is something Solina said to pass onto you. It was to apologize this is the way it had to end. I hope that makes more sense to you then it does me.” I nodded my thanks to him. “If I may ask, who are you?”

I gave him a small smile. “To put it simply, I was quite familiar with Aurora.” My expression turned to one of sympathy. “I know better then anypony else how hollow these words sound... But I am sorry for the loss of your friends. Aurora seemed to know them quite well.” His expression turned sad.

“It is quite regrettable they can no longer walk among the living.” He looked me in the eye and opened his mouth, when the doors to the throne room opened.

“Chrysalis, are you ready to go?” Luna asked as she walked up to me. “I have a few words with this old stallion, so I will be a few minutes.” I nodded.

“In that case, I shall go visit my daughter.” She nodded back.

Ten minutes later found me trying to get my breath under control. In front of me was a door. A door that, once I knocked, there would be no turning back. Slowly, I lifted my hoof, only for the door to open to reveal Bon Bon without my touching the door. “Hi Mom.” She said nervously.

I gave her a nervous smile. “Hello Bon Bon. Mind if I come in?” I asked. She nodded, stepping out of the doorway. I carefully entered, taking a look around.

“Hey, Lyra! We have company!” She called into the house.

...0...

A ghost of a smile pulled the corners of her lips up. Not long now, She thought as she watched her army prepare for her visit to Equestria.

Author's Note:

All for now, as well as another character who will make a grand entrance in just a couple chapters. Any guesses as to who this mare is?