• Published 25th Aug 2017
  • 702 Views, 15 Comments

Blitz And Balance - Ennelly Von Swortts



legend says that when fear and darkness run whild ocross Equestria, only harmony and Chaos together can wake the endless balance, and an enemy must take up the mantle when Sun and Moon fall.

  • ...
 15
 702

19 A Mother's Sorrow

Author: Ennelly Von Swortts

Co-Author: ElectroPHX228 (Blitz)

Chapter Nineteen: A Mother's Sorrow

"And she still won't open the door?" The Changeling opposite him nodded. Thorax sighed. "Right. I'll send a letter to the Princess then." The Changeling gave a small bow on her way out of the room, leaving Thorax to mutter to herself. "Two days since she appeared... Two days locking herself away from everypony... Not one word said... What has happened to you, mother?" She could feel sorrow from Chrysalis. A sorrow so old, yet unknown to the reformed changelings.

After she had appeared without warning, she had zoned out as tears of pain and sorrow dripped down her face. Or so Thorax had heard. After the changelings had reformed, they had lost the hivemind. But every changeling she had talked to since Chrysalis locked herself in a room given her, all felt the deep sorrow wafting off her in waves.

She pulled out a quill and a piece of parchment.

I write to you about a strange event. Yesterday morning, Chrysalis appeared in the middle of what is now our home. Since then, she has kept herself locked away in a room we provided for her. What would you recommend I do for an immortal locked away with her sorrow?

Thorax.

She walked out of the room that had become the center of changeling activity, quickly making her way to the outer perimeter of the renovated hive. "Hey, Tris! I have a letter for the Princess!" She looked around, trying to find the changeling. Without warning, Tris dropped right in front of her.

"You have something for me, your majesty?" She asked with a bow. Thorax chuckled, slowly shaking her head as she offered the scroll. Tris took it and took off, quickly disappearing. Thorax turned and walked back into the hive. She navigated to a room close to the old throne room.

Despite still retaining its labyrinth-like interior, the hive felt more alive. More friendly. It also now had doors. Something the changelings were getting used to having in the hive.

She knocked on the door. Getting no answer, she knocked again. "Queen Chrysalis, it's Thorax. Can you please open the door? I just want to talk."

"Oh, it's you. You traitorous little drone who single-hoofedly brought done my hive. What could you have to talk about with me?" Thorax bowed her head, her shoulders slumping. Yes, that was how she had acted as long as she could remember. But the old Queen's voice lacked the malice she had grown so used to. All that remained was tired, with a hint of that unnerving sorrow.

"Very well then, mother." She turned and walked down the hall of the hive.

...0...

I sat in silence as Thorax walked away. I could feel her concern for me, something I wasn't used to. Sure they had done my every command... But it was more out of fear and hunger. They had never really cared before. I guess seeing me a broken mare has twinged their newfound heart-strings... I closed my eyes as fresh tears spilled down my face.

I hadn't moved from the center of the room since I had walked in. I couldn't stop thinking about the many generations I had lost to love over the four millennia I have lived for. If only I hadn't been born different... If only my drones never thought to share love... It was almost ironic, really. They thought sharing their love would save them, but instead... It doomed them to starvation. I had lost count of how many had died that way a long time ago. How many thought they were doing the right thing... How many thought to bring peace between Changelings and ponies. And now, here I sat, watching another generation starve. I could do nothing more then watch as they slowly died.

Bodies covered the floor.

I burried my head under my hooves, desperately trying to block the memories.

Countless bodies as far as the eye could see.

"No, no, no, no, no..." I muttered helplessly.

The bodies of an entire Changeling hive lay sprawled on the floor of their once grand home...

"No, No, No, No, NO, NO,NO,NO,NO,NO!"

Changelings... Who had shared their love, and met the price.

...0...

"NOOOOO!!" Every Changeling froze at the sound as it bounced down every tunnel, through every room. They felt the rah pain and sorrow. They felt the fear in every cell of their bodies. Thorax took a deep breath as she once again tried to think of what could so thoroughly crush her mother like this, once again coming up blank.

She remembered what Chrysalis was like. She was strong. Unapproachably strong. She was the anchor that held the hive together. It was she who had led the hive against the Dragons when they got too close to the hive, driving them back into the Dragon Lands. It was she who risked it all to feed the hive. To see her like this... to feel such fear... it was unnervingly scary.

Author's Note:

I got teary eyed writing this one... I hope you enjoyed it as much as I got teary eyed writing it. Actually more then I got emotional writing it..