• Published 25th Aug 2017
  • 1,725 Views, 49 Comments

Nightmares and Harmony - Starpony999



Pinkamenia Dawn Pie, a crazy unicorn from Equestria, learns about friendship through her adventures with five ponies she meets in Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 49
 1,725

To Save the World

The mayor (who peculiarly now had a brown sack next to her) shouted to the royal guard, "Seize her! Only she knows where the princess is!" She pointed to the black alicorn, as if they needed any guidance.

The pegasi guards flew to attack Nightmare Moon, but the mare was ready. Her mane engulfed the stallions, spitting them out moments later with crippled wings. Then the unicorns took their turn. They shot beams of magic at the night black evil. "You foals!" She shouted back with hatred, firing back her own, more powerful magic. The blue night magic overpowered the royal guards and knocked them unconscious. There, of course, was another pony type to try their luck against the tyrant: earth pony. Nightmare Moon noticed their ascent to the balcony through the back stairs and growled. She was fed up with these imbeciles. They would learn to love her and her night soon enough. With a final laugh to cover up her frustration, the mare no longer in the moon dissolved back into the mist, while the mist itself dissipated.

It was just at that moment that Apple Jet managed to wrangle free from her sister's grasp. (In later retellings, Rainbow lamented that she had simply let go because her sister was no longer in danger.). AJ was above the balcony in a second, but the nightmare was gone. It finally dawned on this farm pony what this meant. "Nighttime? Forever?"

The rainbow mare gasped. "No sun?" She gasped quietly. The lack of sunlight meant bad things for her family's enterprise. In her shocked state, however, something bright and pink managed to catch her eye as it bolted out of Town Hall. "What does she know?" The cyan mare wondered, thinking of how any knowledge at this point would be really helpful.

Dawn, said pink thing, was heading towards the nearest library. She wasn't an egghead, but Equestria has always been without Internet. Once there, the unicorn began searching the shelves. "Elements, Elements, or come on! It's got to be here somewhere!" She searched the historical, geological, and even the fantasy sections, but it was nowhere to be found.

Just as she began searching the 'holiday' shelves, five ponies rushed in through the door. "Told ya!" The purple one exclaimed. That's right. Rainbow Zap, Apple Jet, Rarity, Fleur de Shy, and Twilight Swish were in the library with Dawn; they had followed her.

"You!" Fleur pointed accusingly as her horn lit up. "How did you know? Are you affiliated wiz zat ruffian? Are you a spy?"

"Hold on Fleur." Rarity put a soothing hoof on the yellow pony, causing the latter's horn to defuse. "She's not a spy." The white earth pony turned toward Dawn. "But she sure knows what's going on, don't you Dawn?"

"Yes. I mean no. I mean maybe? Well, I read all about Nightmare Moon back at Canterlot, kind of by accident." Dawn confessed. "Some mysterious objects called the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her, but I don't know what they are, where to find them; I don't even know what they do!"

"Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide." Twilight read off a title of a brown leather bound book with golden embellishments. On the front of this book were six sparkling gems, all a different color. She had apparently just pulled the book out of a section titled: "E," yet this section was literally the only alphabetical section. Dawn had a bone to pick with the librarian, but considering the situation, that would have to be at a later date.

"How the hay did you find it that fast?" Apple Jet questioned.

"I come to this library a lot. In fact, I often volunteer to assist whoever the mayor picks as a temporary librarian. Thus, I know quite a bit about how the books are arranged here. The last mare, Muffins, I think it was, thought that this system was the best idea." Twilight giggled. "Since nopony could ever find anything, I had to memorize the title of every book and where she kept it."

"That mare always was a little out there." The orange pegasus agreed.

Dawn snatched the Reference Guide from the pegasus and flipped it open, reading from the contents. "Oh. There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known: Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty, and Loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery. It is said, the last known location of the five elements was in the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters. It is located in what is now the--"

"Everfree forest!" All six girls exclaimed as they stood in front of said forest.

"You girls really don't have to come with me." Dawn insisted.

"We aren't letting any friend of ours go in there on their own." Apple Jet protested.

Each of the four gave their affirmation as they passed the unicorn and pegasus, carrying what each of them considered essential for the Everfree trek. Rainbow Zap had a pack full of apples, Fleur de Shy had a scarf and floppy hat(it doubled as a hard hat; at least it was semi-practical), Twilight Swish had a party hat, Rarity brought camouflage, and Apple Jet brought a compass, lasso, and map. Since Dawn didn't bring anything to Ponyville in the first place, she had nothing to bring on the trip herself.

We aren't letting any friend of ours go in there on their own.

The idea of friendship brought a small smile to Dawn's face. It was rather sweet that they refused to leave her on her own in a dangerous place. The concept of danger in the Everfree was brought to life by Rainbow's elaboration about halfway in through the forest.

"Do you know why?"

"Rainbow..." Apple Jet warned.

Ms. Zap failed to heed her sister's warning. "Because no pony who goes in, ever comes out.

Apple just shook her head from side to side. "Tain't true, but there is one thing she's right about. This forest ain't natural."

"What do you mean?" Dawn inquired.

"Dear, it doesn't work like Equestria." Rarity explained. "It grows on its own,"

"And has its own weather," Twilight added.

"And zere iz absolutely no law or order!" Fleur de Shy exclaimed, glancing around at the surrounding forest with despise.

"Oh." Dawn nodded.

Suddenly, there was a loud rumbling, and the earth began to give way beneath them. The two pegasi: Apple Jet, who was already flying, and Twilight Swish, who instinctively took to the skies the moment the ground slid away, were unaffected by the lack of surface. They had to take a precious moment to start to save their friends.

Unfortunately, it was too late.

Author's Note:

Anyone know where I can find a gif of Nightmare Moon? I had one when I first wrote this, but it is no longer working.

Thanks to Comickook for Twilight's line about the library.

Also, the picture in this is really rough, because I wanted a picture, but I rushed it. None of them are even wearing their supplies so whatever.

Slowly you can tell the chapters are getting longer. Next chapter will reveal the first element!

I swear there was something else I was going to say...:rainbowhuh: