• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 580 Views, 4 Comments

A Different Maestro Spectrum - The REAL Mister Pkmn



A universe where my main OC has a different backstory than usual.

  • ...
 4
 580

Chapter The Fifth: The Trouble With Fame

The sound of knocking on his door awoke Maestro the next morning. He came to the door quickly, and opened it. At his door was a postmare, who hoofed him a letter. He bid her farewell, and ducked inside his home. He took notice that the letter was from Celestia, so he opened with care. Inside was a letter thanking him for providing the stain glass window for the Heroes of Harmony’s victory over Nightmare Moon. It had encased within two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala- one for himself, and one for a plus one. He instantly knew who he’d take along, of course- his adoptive daughter, Prism. Even if he didn’t want to attend, he knew that the Heroes of Harmony would all be there, along with Spike. This was as good a time as any to try and hook the two dragons up. Ah, the things he did for his daughter. He was about to get ready for the day, when he remembered that he already had one ticket for the Galla, aside from the two he had just received. This other one was one he had been gifted as an invitation from Prince Blueblood, to egg him on to rescind his bachelor status in one night. At first, Maestro panicked a little. Who would he give that third ticket to? But then, he got an idea- he’d give it to someone, and ask that they accompany him as his date. If he did that, it was sure to show up that pompous idiot! There still was the question of who exactly he would invite, but he decided to worry about that later.

He exited into Ponyville, glad that he’d taken a bit of a breather before getting on the road again. He was of course accosted from all sides for his autograph, but it was nothing that he wasn’t used to. He noticed that Trixie was cleaning up her wagon, and he stopped by. “Hey, Trix. you aiming to go somewhere soon?”

Turning to him, Trixie nodded a little. “I’m just preparing to leave for another show tomorrow. It’s going to a bit of a trek, so I’m minimizing the weight of my wagon.” She sighed forlornly. “It’s going to minimize the amount of tricks I can use at the show, however…”

At that choice of words, Maestro had an idea. “Where are you going for your show, anyway?”

Uncertain where he was going with this, Trixie quirked an eyebrow. “Hoofington. Why?’

His idea lined up even more with this new information, as he explained. “Well, my next expo is going to be in Hoofington. I could help carry a few of your heavier things, keep you company on your travels! What do you say?”

Trixie’s shock was so powerful that she couldn’t respond for a few minutes. When she finally could, she was stuttering a bit. “Y-you’re offering to tr-travel with me? I-it’s an honor!” She looked off in a bit of a daze. “Maestro Spectrum. THE Maestro Spectrum! And he wants to travel with me. Me!” She started to drift off in incoherent muttering for a bit.

Maestro placed a hoof on her shoulder, and shook her a little. “Focus, Trix. I’m your friend. I’m offering because of that, alright? I think travelling together is more conducive, because we are going to the same location. Okay? Please, calm down.”

Trixie did manage to calm herself, though she was a little embarrassed. “Sorry about fangirling like that. I-it’s just you’re so well known, and I’m… nobody. Wh-what if ponies get the wrong idea?”

Maestro blinked at that. He realized that people could construe it like that- after all, he was a bachelor, and she was a bachelorette. It was only natural that people might jump to that conclusion. He shook it off, and assured her with confidence. “No worries. We’ll just insist to them that we’re just friends travelling together. After all, it is the truth.”

For some reason, Trixie felt a little torn about his reply. What was this sadness mixed in with her relief? She had never quite felt this way before. She dismissed it, and focused on the positive. He was looking out for her, just as a friend would. Yet… something still nagged at her as she thought about that. She shook the uncomfortable feeling away, and decided to focus on getting ready to leave the following morning. As she adjusted the wheels of her wagon to ensure that they were on tight, she noticed something odd about Maestro’s demeanor. He looked to be lost in thought for a while. That was until Twilight came into the area. “Phew! I think we lost them, Spike.”

Maestro noticed how she was acting, and spoke. “Having trouble with something,, Twilight?” She turned around suddenly, sending two gold tickets flying. Maestro grabbed them in his magic, and drew them to himself. “Gala tickets, eh?” He then levitated them back to Twilight, placing them in her grasp as he let go. “I already have three- I don’t need another one.”

On the other hoof, Trixie looked at Twilight’s tickets with envy. “Lucky. I wish that I could go. The Gala…. Oh, the advertising opportunity I’d have for my shows!” She shook herself out of her reverie, and looked to Twilight. “You probably already have plans for that extra ticket. So go on, skedaddle! If they come looking for you, we’ll say that you left in a hurry.”

Twilight nodded in gratitude, and rushed away to her home. Maestro regarded her with awe and respect. “I’m impressed! I half-expected you to try and get that ticket for yourself. I’m proud that you resisted the urge.”

Abashed, Trixie looked away. “It wasn’t easy, but I knew she wouldn’t dare part with it for somepony she barely knows. She’ll probably give it to one of her friends- or that dragon assistant of hers.”

For a long moment, Maestro considered something. Trixie was a good friend of his, and she wanted to go to the Gala. He had plans for that third ticket, yes- but he didn’t even have anyone to fill that role as of yet. He knew that he might regret this, but he rummaged through his portfolio, earning the attention of Trixie. He then pulled out one of his three Gala tickets, and handed it to her. “Here. I don’t exactly have anyone else I could give this extra ticket to anyway- I’ve got one for myself, and one for my daughter.”

Trixie was at a loss for words for a while, but then she pushed it back to him. “I appreciate the gesture, but I think that you should save that for a special somepony to bring along. I won’t take that from whomever that ends up being.”

Astonished at her actions, Maestro thought for a moment. She had passed on a great opportunity, all out of selflessness. She wanted him to go forward with his plan for the ticket, even though it meant that she would be unable to attend. She truly was something else, that was for sure. He nodded, and returned the ticket to his portfolio. “You never cease to surprise me, Trix. You’re a good friend. I’ll see what I can do to get you a ticket. After all, I do have the influence for it.”

Two opportunities for tickets had presented themselves to Trixie, both of which she had refused. But this third one was not like the others… “You’d do that for me? I… don’t know what to say…”

With a toothy grin, Maestro replied. “Think nothing of it! I just want you to be able to go. I mean, I’d rather not go myself- but I kinda have to, it’d be rude to refuse Celestia’s thanks. But if you’re there? It might not be so bad.”

Once more, Trixie found herself in awe of Maestro. The lengths that he went for her… He truly was the best friend that she’d ever had. She smiled. “Thanks. You really are the best!”

The two said their goodbyes, and Maestro went to peruse the market for a while. As he ensured that his stocks were good for a while, he could’ve sworn that he heard a voice as he made his way back to his shop. “Obs… rum.”

He looked around, trying to locate the voice. “Hello? Who’s there?” However, after a long wait, it seemed that whomever had spoken had left. “Huh. Odd…” Maestro shrugged, and went inside his house to prepare for tomorrow.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the short chapter, but I've a lot of projects going on. Hopefully the next chapter won't take too long.