• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 579 Views, 4 Comments

A Different Maestro Spectrum - The REAL Mister Pkmn



A universe where my main OC has a different backstory than usual.

  • ...
 4
 579

Chapter The Thirteenth: Connection Tested

After Maestro got ready for the date, he packed up his store and teleported with Prism back to Manehattan He told Prism to go and wait for him elsewhere as he took Trixie on their date. He found his way to where she had placed her wagon, and Maestro adjusted his vest absentmindedly as he stood in front of the front door. It was now or never. He took a deep breath, and knocked on the door. It wasn’t long before Trixie opened the door, and Maestro took a double-take. She wore a silky light teal dress, and her mane was styled to be slightly curvier than he had seen it before. He gathered himself, and stepped aside. “Where to?”

Trixie stepped out into the night air, and looked to Maestro. He certainly looked as good as ever. She smiled. “Surprise me.”

Maestro raised an eyebrow. She was leaving the decision up to him, then? That was doable. He escorted her to one of the more middle-tier restaurants. He wasn’t quite sure why he was going there, but… somehow he felt if he did, he might get some kind of answer as to his troubles. He pulled up to the counter and rang the bell. A mauve unicorn waiter came up to the front, and his neon blue eyes widened. “Monsieur Spectrum! An honor it is to see you here again. A table for you and the lady, I presume?”

Maestro smiled and nodded. “Give us your best one available, Fastrack Serve.” The waiter bowed, then led Maestro and Trixie to a table near a window on the second floor of the restaurant that had an amazing panoramic view that included the famous Mare Of Liberty.

Fastrack levitated the menus to Maestro and Trixie, and bowed as he left. Trixie spoke as she admired this place. “This all looks very nice. Are you sure about all of this, Maestro?”

Maestro snapped himself out of his thoughts to reply to her. “It’s fine, Trix. Fastrack is a personal friend. Best service in Manehattan.” However, Maestro looked distant after saying that.

Concerned, Trixie asked him a question. "Maestro, what's wrong? You look very stressed out..."

He sighed deeply. “I’ve had a lot on my mind recently. Let’s just try and enjoy ourselves tonight, alright?”

Trixie looked worried, but she knew that Maestro was likely to not budge on the issue. The waiter came back and took their orders, and went to prepare them. Trixie attempted to take Maestro’s mind off his troubles. “Say, you want to hear something hilarious?” Intrigued, Maestro motioned for her to continue. “Okay, so the other day in one of my performances, there was a pony that tried to upstage me. We had a little magician’s spat, but I came out on top when one of his tricks backfired and tied him up like a hog!” She had been keeping back her laughter, but let it all out.

Maestro chuckled. “That is pretty funny. Serves him right for trying to take the spotlight from a superior stage magician.” Maestro sighed. “You really do know how to cheer me up better than anyone else.” He paused for a moment, and smiled. “I think I should return the favor. Since you cheered me up, I think you should know what’s been on my mind lately.” He then nodded as he set up a silence field. “It’s not something I thought would happen, but… recently I got in contact with my birth father.” surprise strewn across Trixie’s face, and Maestro smiled. “I was pretty shocked too, when he spoke to me through my dream.”

This caused Trixie to blink a bit. “He talked to you in your dream? How?”

They were interrupted when Fastrack came back. “Have you decided on your orders?”

Nodding, Maestro spoke. “I’m feeling adventurous tonight. Give me the Shrimp Mix Salad and a glass of Strawberry frappé.”

Fastrack wrote that down, with a small quirk of his eyebrow. He turned to Trixie, who shook off the surprise of what Maestro had ordered. “Uh, I’ll have a Caesar Salad and a glass of Rosenberry cider.” Fastrack wrote that down, and went off to the kitchen.

Maestro chuckled. “Rosenberry, huh? Bold choice. As to answer your previous question, though… He used some sort of tech, as I understand it. Apparently my home is far ahead of the technology curve when compared to Equestria. I’m not entirely certain why dad sent me here, but I have to trust him.”

Trixie tilted her head in confusion. “Why tell me all this? Just because I asked, or…?”

Maestro paused as Fastrack came back with their food. Once it was on the table and Fastrack had left, Maestro responded. “I’m not certain myself, really. Something about you… it just feels as if I can trust you with just about anything. I can’t really explain it much better than that.” He chuckled to himself. “Maybe there is something to it, though. Something… deeper.”

A pause settled upon the conversation, though it was warm and light. Trixie was glad that Maestro trusted her as much as he did. She sighed. Part of her wanted the reason to be a hidden feeling of love, but that was probably a bit much to ask for. Maestro was still figuring things out, and that was fine. She decided to change the subject. “So, how are your artworks selling?”

Maestro took a moment to calculate that as he concentrated on his food. Once he had finished, he smirked. “Pretty well, compared to how they used to back when I was first starting out. Some of my old work has actually started to sell too, after Sarah led the charge. She’s a good friend like that.”

Trixie smiled. “That’s good.” She paused, considering something. She noticed that Maestro was looking at her with concern upon his face, and she brought her concerns to light. “I’m boring you, aren’t I? You-”

Maestro shook his head. “You couldn’t bore me. You…” He sighed. “I may not understand how I feel about you, but I’d like us to do this again sometime. It’s been nice.”

Trixie smiled. “I’d like that.”

The night passed rather quickly, as the air grew more jovial. Maestro eventually asked her a question that she hadn’t seen coming. “What do you like about me, Trixie? Please, be honest.”

She thought it over for a while, going over everything. Kind, honest, trustworthy, charming, talented, handsome, persistent, dependable, the list went on. She blushed. “It’d be a shorter list if you asked what I didn’t like, ‘cause there’s nothing on it.”

Maestro’s face went red. Did she really like him that much? As for how he felt towards her, he still was unsure. He knew that he liked her, at least as a friend. But recently, things had begun to change between them. The way she smiled… the occasional slip into third person…. Her projected confidence, even if deep down she had doubts… Did he like her as… more than a friend? He… didn’t know. But he would like to.

Something powerful came over him that he couldn’t quite explain. He leaned forward, and… kissed her. Shock displayed on her face, but it soon melted away. As for him, he felt something he hadn’t before. Electricity ran through him, a powerful feeling unlike any other. The world fell away, and all seemed to feel… right. He did like her. Perhaps even love her. She was a talented showmare, and he a talented artist. Was this the universe saying they should be together? It didn’t matter if that was the case. He pulled away, and they both gasped for air. He had an open smile on his face, and he spoke. “I… don’t know what came over me. I just… had to know. I think I understand better now.”

Trixie touched her mouth with her hoof, and lifted it away. She looked at Maestro. “Wow. That was… Trixie’s never felt like that before ...” She cleared her throat, and sighed airily. “So, does this mean that we are a couple, then? ‘Cause, I’d really like that…”

Maestro smirked. “I’ve never had a girlfriend before… I mean, I’ve dated other mares, but…” He shook his head. “Let me start over. Yes. I like you a lot, Trix. I think I always have, but I didn’t realize it until now.”

Trixie smiled with a slight blush. “So, next saturday good, or?”

Maestro teleported his schedule to him, and looked over it. “Hm. I have a lot of work to do that day… Let’s see… no… no… no… ah! I can move a few things around, and fit you in on the following Tuesday.” At her slightly disappointed look, Maestro sighed. “I know, okay? I’ll try and keep my schedule not so cluttered. I’ll just have to give different answers when given projects to work on.”

Trixie sighed. “I guess that’s the best you can do. It’ll be a bit of work, but I think it’ll be worth it.”

It wasn’t much longer before they finished their meals, and Fasttrack came to the table. He smiled. “Ah, Monsieur Spectrum! I see that you and the lady have finished.” he looked between the two, and his smile spread. “I see the two friends have become something more this night.” At their mutual blush, Fastrack chuckled. “Ah, young love.” He shook his head. “Will that be all, or...?”

Maestro looked at his watch. “Yes, that’s all. I have to be somewhere in the morning, so…”

Fastrack nodded, and went off to the register real quick. He came back in a flash, and placed a slip on the table. “Your bill.”

He left, and Maestro took a look at it. He smirked. “Well, spending that kind of money is nothing, now that I know how I feel about you.” Trixie giggled a bit and batted a hoof at the air. Maestro shook his head. She could be silly too? Was there no end to the surprises she held? He levitated his wallet out from his ves, and placed the bits on the table plus a small tip. He stood, and Trixie followed not long after. They exited together, a warm air about them.

Maestro took her back to her wagon, and she gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “Tonight was magical. I can hardly wait for our next date, Maestro.”

He smiled, and kissed her quickly on the cheek. “I look forward to it. I’ll be seeing you, okay?”

They waved at each other, and Maestro sighed as he walked away. It was on an impulse that he had kissed her earlier, but he wouldn’t change what he did for the world. He arrived home and collapsed on the couch inside and sighed. He soon fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Well now, I wasn't intending for them to wind up as a couple this soon, but...