• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 1,096 Views, 114 Comments

Freedoms Call - Bronycommander



Occupied America 2029. America is occupied for two years now by the Greater Korean Republic. This year will be a surprise for a KPA soldier

  • ...
23
 114
 1,096

Chapter 11 Scorched Earth

Chapter 11: Scorched Earth

Scotch Tape tried everything to get away, it was in vein, the body had her completely pinned down.

The tank track was only inches away from her.

She closed her eyes, expecting the excruciating pain from getting crushed by a T-99.

Her life flashed before her eyes.

Her heart was beating fast from fear and adrenaline.

The vibration of the track was just next to her ear.

Then, something very loud like an explosion, caused her ears to ring.

Opening her eyes, her vision blurry, the tank was in flames, destroyed, barely an inch away from her.

Looking up, she saw how one of the Grenadier drones had his LAW raised, having destroyed the tank. Fletcher and a medic drone ran over to her.

Her hearing returned, as the drone got the body off her. “Don't worry my dear, I’ll have you fixed up in no time! It's not too bad, okay?” The robotic Pegasus said in her calming voice. The filly slowly calmed down, but she got weaker as if she was about to black out. “Stay with me. You're going to be fine. Just stay calm.” She heard the female say in a worried tone.

In the moment Scotch Tape could see fully again, the pain in her hind leg grew stronger, and she fought back tears.

“I have to remove the bullet. Can you calm her down?” The robot asked the Unicorn.

“I can do more than that.” His horn lit up, his aura surrounded the wound. “A sedative spell, you will feel less pain.” True to his words, the pain became less as the drone got a pair of tweezers.

“This might be sting a bit but I’ll make it as painless as possible.” The filly struggled and screamed as the medical drone pushed the tweezers into the wound, Fletcher gently held her hoof, whispering comforting words.

The pain was great but soon her screams of pain became cries through gritted teeth as she calmed down.

The robot had finally found what he was looking for, tightened the tweezers and slowly pulled back.

The Earth pony let out a final scream as the drone removed the tweezers from the wound and held up an almost 7.62mm MG bullet.

“See? All better now.” The drone bandaged the wound.

“You are very brave for a filly of your age.” Fletcher added with a smile.

“T-thank you.” She replied, trying to stand up, painful but possible.

“Since I’m designed to be behind the frontline, it would be better for her safety if I carry her.” The drone suggested.

“If you insist.” Fletcher levitated Scotch Tape on the back of the leading Morning Glory drone.

The metal was cold but she quickly got used to it. She also took notice how the Eternal Knight picked up a PWS Diablo SMG from a fallen KPA soldier with his magic, making sure it was loaded, putting spare mags from the body into his saddlebag.

“Do you need a quick lesson in firearms?” Jackson asked, unsure.

“Look buddy, I'm not interested in the features. I'd use a staple gun if it would help me. Just give me cover so I can refocus.”

“Heads up, enemy infantry!” A fellow soldier warned as more 718s moved in.

“Watch yourself, Fletcher! These guys are crack shots!” Jackson warned him.

Scotch Tape could swear she saw a smirk on his lips. “So am I.”

What she saw next fascinated and impressed her, as well as the soldiers.

In a blink of an eye, the unicorn fired 3 arrows at the same time at three hostiles standing close together. All arrows were headshots. A brave (or more like foolish) Elite soldier charged at him, his bow transformed into a spear, with a swift strike, the enemy soldier fell dead to the ground. Another charged at the Archer bit in a flash, Fletcher vanished and reappeared behind the enemy, stabbing him with his spear before killing another 718 to his right with a clean headshot with the SMG before he could react or pull the trigger.

I guess basing the Sniper drone off him was a wise choice by Archer. Scotch Tape thought impressed.

“All units within range of this transmission, a tank unit is en-route to assist. Orders are to meet up with them to receive additional orders.”

“Okay, let’s move, keep your eyes peeled!” Tanner ordered.

The street was defended by 718 troops, the light and heavy support drones forced them to cover, only to be flanked by the Scouts and Wolfs, getting sliced by their knives and blades, while others were killed by grenades from the grenadiers, and the stragglers got defeated by the US troops. A 718 managed to hide, charged at a Blackjack drone, punching her, only to hold his hand in pain. “Ha!” The drone let out a taunting laugh before knocking him out with a punch to the chest. The US soldiers with their new allies pushed through without trouble.

“So much for the famous 718 Division!” A soldier commented, taunting them as they broke through any defense the KPA threw at them.

Those L-9 drones are really effective. Fletcher thought impressed.

Scotch Tape wondered how long it would take for her leg to heal as a wall behind her collapsed and an enemy LAV broke through, firing at the drone that was carrying her.

“Hold on tight!” The drone warned as she jumped into the air to avoid the shots from the cannon, briefly running along a wall, the bullets behind her as the gunner couldn’t keep up before it get destroyed by a Grenadier.

Scotch Tape yelped at this action before “Morning Glory” landed elegant on the ground.

“You okay?” She asked her young commander.

“Y-yes.” Scotch Tape replied, slightly stunned from this move.

They came to what appeared a large marketplace. “There are too many ambush locations here. I suggest the scouts give us a sitrep of the enemies ahead.” Tanner was suspicious.

“Roger, they can’t hide from us.” The bat ponies moved out.

After a few minutes, the scouts reported in. “Several Snipers and MGs are covering the area.”

“They would cut us down in seconds if we attack them directly. There must be a way to flank them.” Tanner tried to think as the leader of Fletcher’s counterparts stepped forward.

“Sir, we may be able to help. We can take out the Snipers and MGs without being detected.”

“Very well, do what you can. Fletcher, you should join them, that sound like a task where your talents can shine.” Tanner was impressed by his marksmanship.

“As you wish.” He prepared his bow.

“Be careful, Fletcher.” Scotch Tape was worried for him, as she cared for him.

He smiled at her. “Careful is my middle name.”

He then followed his counterpart into a high building where they had a perfect view of the area. The sniper drone placed a Claymore at the entrance and the stairs. “Better safe than sorry.”

The Eternal knight overlooked the area. The MGs had a crossed line of fire in two buildings, there were about 6 snipers in different buildings overlooking the market place, not seeing him. He could find them thanks to the glints on their scopes and their orange ghillie suits that didn’t help in an urban area.

“I suggest we take the snipers out first, then the MG crews. That way we can avoid the troops on the ground being alerted.”

“I was thinking the same, Commander Fray.” His leading counterpart replied, putting a silencer on his rifle.

The unicorn saw how a Fenrir sneaked behind and stabbed one of the snipers, then prevented the body from falling off the building and alerting the others. A bat pony drone did the same with the second sniper on another roof.

Then the 2 drones quickly yet quietly took positions behind the next two snipers, Fletcher understood why. There was a high possibility that the snipers could fall forward when shot. “After you.” The Sniper drone left the two up to him.

He quickly shot two arrows, both headshots. The snipers stumbled, the two drones took care of them. His counterpart took care of the last sniper once the Wolf drone was in position. “Nice shots, commander. We should take out both MG gunners at the same time.”

He could help but grin. “My thought exactly. The one on the right is mine.”

“Ready when you are.” His counterpart took aim.

The unicorn took aim, and in the moment he breathed out he fired. The drone had excellent timing, both gunners were down. “An excellent shot, commander. Your reputation is well earned.”

The Knight blushed at the compliment. “Oh please…”

The US forces used this to move up. “No point in being quiet now.” The robot removed the silencer as the KPA forces opened fire.

The two snipers gave support, despite the height, Fletcher could keep eye on Scotch Tape.

The drone carrying her was staying in cover but still, he was worried about her safety.

On the ground, the drones pushed the KPA back. A small group of enemy soldiers surrounded the medical drone, she threw the filly into the air, Scotch Tape yelped.

While she was into the air, it was like in slow-motion, the drone spun elegant around, firing her MP5 at the hostiles, killing them with headshots. Blood splattered, and the Koreans fell lifeless to the ground before the drone caught the filly. “Gotcha!”

That was an impressive move. Fletcher thought.

Eventually, the market place was secured. An explosion rang in the Eternal Knight’s ears, a Korean had set off the claymore.

Alerted, the two aimed at the door, waiting for more enemies. A 718 came through the door, the drone grabbed him by the neck, throwing him off the roof. “I’ll see you in hell!”

Then they moved down the stairs, meeting up with the others. “Great work! The Tank unit should be just down the street. Let’s go!” Tanner made a sign to move.

True to his word, Scotch Tape and Fletcher saw a T-99 and infantry engaged with three M1A3 Abrams across a bridge. “Sergeant! We have Korean armor firing on the bridge. We need you to take out their tank!” One of the tank commanders yelled via radio.

“They got a T-99 dug in straight ahead!” Jackson pointed it out.

“Not for long!” The leading Grenadier fired his LAW at the rear, the tank exploded, leaving only a burning wreck.

“Good hit.” Tanner complimented as the tanks moved across the bridge.

“We're clear. Coming through.” The tanks drove to the marketplace.

Tanner looked at the sun, it was getting late and the soldiers showed signs of fatigue. “Let’s rest overnight. Tomorrow, we will push forward.”

His men unloaded the supply crates on the tanks, building up a small camp. Scotch Tape tried unsuccessfully to suppress a yawn.

“Looks like our young friend is tired. You should catch some sleep Scotch Tape, you earned it.” The Pegasus drone brought her to one of the cots, gently putting her down. “Goodnight. Sweet dreams.” The robot walked out and Fletcher joined Scotch Tape climbing onto the cot next to her.

“Sleep well Fletcher, you did great today.” The filly wished him a goodnight.

“Thank you, you too.” He replied before both fell asleep. The soldiers got some rest too, as the drones took the night watch for them, patrolling tirelessly, never letting their guard down.

While both ponies were sleeping well, they both wondered what Archer could mean in his log that he could never do this again.

In the morning, Scotch Tape yawned and stretched herself, seeing that Fletcher was gone. Then she heard hoof steps as he brought her breakfast. “Morning, kid.”

“Good morning, Fletcher. Early riser I see.” They breakfasted together.

“What can I say, I’m a light sleeper, I like to watch sunrises, they’re beautiful.” He replied smiling.

“Makes sense for an experienced soldier like you.” The filly tried to get up, only to let a grunt of pain as she tried to walk, but it was more limping.

“Let me help you.” Fletcher levitated her on his back before walking out.

The soldiers were also awake, Tanner did a briefing.

“Okay, orders are to push the KPA out of this city. They got a rally point at the other end of the city, if we push them back to it, they’re done for.”

Both ponies noticed that the drones were still online, making them wondering how long they could function without recharging their power.

“Morning, I hope you both slept well.” The female squad leader greeted them with a friendly voice.

“I did. Don’t you need to recharge?” Scotch Tape asked the Blackjack drone.

“Well, by standard, we can operate several days without a recharge but we carry 3 battery packs that enable us to operate a few weeks without recharging.” She pointed to her back, 3 blue glowing small cylinders were mounted on it, barely showing any sign of being drained.

“Despite our advanced design, we are very energy efficiency.”

“That was a very smart idea of the science team.” The filly liked the idea.

“Enemy infantry moving in!” Jackson warned, firing his M4.

Fletcher quickly got Scotch Tape to cover before returning fire with his bow, the Gatling guns of the Alicorns made the KPA soldiers scramble for cover, the light Assault drones flanked them but the Koreans weren’t even thinking of giving up.

They fired at the drones, not caring that the bullets bounced off, going down fighting rather than surrender.

That scared Scotch Tape. She had expected the 718 to be fanatical but not the regular soldiers.

“Counterattack parried, now let’s move!” Tanner ordered after the enemy was defeated.

“One of them is still alive!” Jackson yelled as he saw a KPA soldier slowly getting up, his hands raised in surrender.

“I surrender!” he yelled in English, it sounded…scared, tired.

Two US soldiers weren’t very happy with it, angrier with it. “You expect us to show mercy after everything you have done to us, our country, our people?!” One of them hit him with the butt of his M4, making him fall on his back.

“You killed civilians and children! Killed our comrades mercilessly when they tried to surrender!!” The other aimed his rifle at him, the Korean covered his head.

“Stop!!” Scotch Tape yelled, getting their attention. “Killing him in revenge does you not make better than the KPA soldiers who kill civilians. Think about it. What have you gained when you killed him? Nothing. Because you would be like the brutal Koreans, not better than them. My friend Chung is a good example. He follows orders to protect those he loves, yet tries to spare the innocent as good as he can.”

“Hey, Commander Fray, why don’t you teach her some discipline?” the first soldier countered.

“Yeah, this is our business, not hers! If those drones are really on our side, they should have killed him!” the second added.

This enraged the Eternal Knight. With a dark look he trotted to them, looking into their eyes. “I have honor unlike you! I will not hurt unarmed people or prisoners! If you kill an unarmed prisoner, you have no honor! You are a disgrace!”

“And we are programmed to never hurt a prisoner under any circumstances and make sure they are treated well. If you hurt him, we are forced to act against you.” The Security drone replied, her shotgun slightly aimed at them.

“Stand down, men!” Tanner shouted at the two soldiers. “We don’t shoot P.O.W.s. Let him go, that’s an order!”

With guilty expressions, the two privates obeyed. “Thank you! You won’t regret this!” The KPA soldier left.

Jackson smiled at Scotch Tape, making a thumbs up to show he liked what she did. “You can be proud of herself, that’s the right way.”

Fletcher had also calmed down, putting her on his back again.

“Okay, move out!” The sergeant ordered, the tanks took the lead.

They advanced down the road, using the tanks for cover as the KPA fired from the buildings to the left and right.

“Fire!” The tank commander yelled, the M1A3 Abram fired into a building to the left, making Fletcher and Scotch Tape experience a high-pitched shell shock for a few seconds.

“The firepower is impressive.” Scotch Tape saw how the building collapsed.

“They're in the bank! Right side!” Tanner pointed some 718s out.

“Right, in the bank!” The commander gave it further to his gunner, who destroyed the bank with one shot, bringing it down.

They pushed forward. “Move up! Push forward!” Tanner fired at any stragglers that the tanks oversaw, but thanks to the drones, there were only a few left.

“Enemies in that building! Attack!” The leading tank fired another round into a building.

Soon, they had passed the bank, almost reaching the enemy rallying point. “We're almost there! Let's go! C'mon!” Tanner ordered.

To Fletcher’s and Scotch Tape’s surprise the Koreans retreated. “They're falling back! Press the attack!” Tanner was sure of victory.

“Something tells me that…”

Fletcher couldn’t finish as an explosion on a very tall building to the left knocked him and Scotch Tape down, she let out a cry of pain as she landed hard on her pack. The explosion blew off the columns of that building and a car was thrown towards the filly, missing her by a few meters. The building collapsed across the entire street and crushed the tanks, generating a large cloud of dusk. A piece of debris hit near Scotch Tape and she temporarily blacked out.

Scotch woke up shell-shocked and looked at her hooves which have sustained major injuries, bloody cuts. Everything she heard was muffled and echoing. Her overalls were torn and her PipBuck was damaged but still functioning.

The filly saw some of the allied soldiers stumbling around before either passing out or sitting down on the ground stunned. Fletcher almost walked like a zombie, his expression empty, emotionless. He recovered quickly, shaking himself. He gasped at what happened.

As her hearing recovered, she heard saw him moving to her. „It's an ambush, we've got to get the hay out of the kill zone! Move! Move! Head for the building!” He levitated her on his back, Jackson joined them as more debris were fell down, missing them by meters.

“Sergeant, we lost contact with the tank commander. What's the status on the ground?” A General Commander asked on the radio.

“This is Private Jackson, the Sergeant’s dead! The tank column is down and we're getting overrun! This A.O is lost!”

“Missed your last, Private. Say again.”

“They dropped a damn building on us!” The soldier yelled.

“Private Jackson, advice to immediate pull back to rally point.”

“Acknowledged, we’ll try to get there!”

They moved through the collapsed building, some floors still intact, but it rumbled.

“They must have rigged the building to blow if our tanks got this far...” Jackson mumbled.

Fletcher felt how Scotch Tape trembled, trying to process what happened. “Th-that’s insane!”

“I know, I trust the 718 to do something like this but I never thought that the KPA would use the Scorched Earth tactic this far.”

They passed two destroyed tanks, Scotch Tape wondered if the crew got killed by it or survived. The building rumbled again. “This thing's going to come down on us any second.” Fletcher realized.

After that they moved across a particularly destroyed floor with plenty of gaps. „Easy, easy.”

Once were at the other side, the building rumbled, again and a large beam fell down towards Fletcher. Scotch Tape screamed.

The Knight quickly dived out of the way, but Scotch Tape lost her grip and fell off him. Then she saw the bar heading towards her eye, with only a second to spare, Jackson pulled her away before the beam hit the ground.

It tore a hole into the floor along with debris falling down, creating a barrier between them and Fletcher. “Fletcher, are you okay?” Jackson called out to the other side.

“I’m fine. I can’t get through here, I’ll find another way out of here. Keep her safe.” It was lightly dimly lit due the debris.

“I will, Fletcher.”

“Be careful.” Scotch Tape added, still in shock.

“I will. Good luck.” His hoof steps got quieter, The American gently took the trembling filly on his arm.

They continued through the destroyed building, trying to find an exit.

“W-what happened with the drones?” Scotch Tape asked as she realized that she hadn’t seen them after the building had collapsed.

“A large debris separated them from us, they said they would find another way.” The US soldier patted her in an attempt to calm her down.

Fortunately, they found a still intact exit at the bottom. Jackson gently dropped her, then carefully opened the door.

It wasn’t booby-trapped and it lead outside to the other side of the building. The young pony took a deep breath, calming down. “Finally we’re out of here!”

“Yes. Wait…” He pressed himself against the wall, Scotch Tape too as two 718 soldiers moved past, not noticing the two.

“That was a close one, they almost had us.”

“Yes but we stopped them by blowing up the building, that will keep them busy for a while.”

“Yes, that’ll teach them not to mess with the GKR!” The two Koreans shared a laugh.

“Those guys are just crazy.” Jackson commented as they moved out, looking at the outskirts of town as a KPA convoy moved out.

“That must been the rally point. We were so close.” Scotch Tape said.

“Yes. Command, come in. We got out of the rubble.” He spoke into his radio.

“Good, survivors found an alternative way out. Orders are to meet up with another battalion at the mountains, not far from here.”

“Copy that.”

They saw said mountain in the distance. “Doesn’t look like it’s far from here, we should get there within fifteen minutes if we walk.”

He picked her up again due her injury and they walked towards their destination.

They encountered no enemies on their way, yet Scotch Tape was worried about Fletcher. “Do you really think he made it?”

He patted her. “I have no doubt about it, we both know he’s very capable, so I believe he found a way out.”

The filly let out a sigh. “I hope so too.” She cared for him.

The two came to a small camp of the US Forces and two soldiers lead them to their commander.

“Do you need medical attention?” He asked them, seeing the cuts on Scotch Tape’s hooves, but apart from that and being covered in dust, they were fine.

A medic disinfected her cuts. “You were both really lucky that you survived this at all.”

“I know. What are your orders?” She wanted to know how she could help.

The medic pointed to what appeared to be a fort in the distance. “We have orders to capture this fort, it would provide us with valuable supplies we can use for the liberation of San Francisco. There are two Battalions for this task. The first Battalion, which Jackson will be part of, will capture it. The other Battalion, which you could help in, will support the attack by targeting anything that is targeting the attacking forces, a support role.”

“I’ll help in any way I can.” She replied with determination.

Another soldier fixed her overalls, until it looked as good as new.

It didn’t take long until the order to move out . Scotch Tape hugged Jackson. “Be careful, I don’t want to lose you.”

“I will, Scotch Tape.”

They moved out. The filly made a quiet prayer for him to be safe.

“Okay, orders are to capture a church held by the enemy. Stay behind me and I’ll keep you alive,” The medic said in an honest and promising voice as the order to attack came.

The KPA had fortified it, two heavy troopers were the first line of defense, forcing the US troops into cover.

Peeking from her cover, Scotch Tape noticed that the MG gunners were wearing some sort of backpacks that seemed to provide them with power.

Using the trenches for cover, she sneaked behind them, firing a few shots with her pistol on the backpack of one Heavy Trooper. It sparkled and the trooper stumbled from the hits before it exploded, killing him and every soldier near him.

“You’ll pay for this!” The other MG gunner yelled angry fired at her. The filly quickly dived to cover as bullets flew past her. This gave Scotch Tape’s allies the chance they needed to take the Heavy trooper out, firing on his backpack until it exploded, taking him out.

Scotch Tape looked on her PipBuck, all that was left after the Heavy Troopers were 18 foot soldiers. After that, the church would be theirs.

“Flashbang out!” An American threw a flashbang in before they breached, taking the blinded KPA soldiers out quickly.

Scotch Tape followed them inside, helping the medic to carry his supplies for treatment of the wounded.

Artillery hit nearby, causing the ground to shake and dust and small wooden blanks fell down, making the filly cover her head but nothing hit her.

“There is an Artillery gun shelling us and the attacking Battalion. We have to destroy it.” The medic said to her, she nodded, Jackson had to make it to the fort.

As they moved down the street to a farm, the artillery smashed into the road, the medic picked his little friend up, dodging the explosion as he made a sprint to the farm. Once inside, he gently put her down as two Troop transports moved in and KPA soldiers jumped off.

The farm made it possible for the medic to flank them while his comrades kept them busy, they had no chance to react.

As the medic reloaded, he flinched at a pistol shot. Turning around, he saw that the barrel of Scotch Tape’s M9 was smoking, a dead 718 soldier lying with his back against the wall, his head down, his rifle lying next to him. “He tried to kill you in his dying moments.” She explained.

“Thanks. Now let’s take out that artillery gun.” They all moved up the hill, Jackson and the entire US offensive were in danger as long as that artillery gun remained, they had to take it out.

Two mounted MG behind sandbags were the first line of defense, Scotch Tape and her new friend used a large rock for cover.

Seeing a glint in the distance and a flash, they noticed that the gunners got taken out by a US sniper, the Koreans fell forward on the guns with blood splattered across their heads.

A Heavy trooper was the second line of defense, but by aiming at his backpack the US Soldiers quickly took him out, advancing towards their goal along the trenches.

The Artillery gun was in sight, built on a concrete plate and controlled from a bunker built into the hill.

The only way to ensure the other men were safe was to blow up the gun itself. “I’ll go in and place C4 on it, you blow it up when I get out.” The medical soldier gave her the detonator.

“Okay.” She watched how he moved in, several flashes of gunfire before he ran out and she pressed the detonator once he was far enough away.

The explosion destroyed the artillery gun, leaving only an open concrete plate. That explosion was one of the sweetest sights of the war for the US soldiers.

But there was no rest. Scotch Tape saw an anti-aircraft gun over the next ridge, taking out US planes. “Take out that AA gun!” The squad leader ordered.

The filly saw an allied plane getting shot down, diving into the ground in flames until it was out of sight.

The defenders were noticeable fewer than with the other defensive lines, getting overrun quickly.

The weapon crew got surprised by them, the AA gun had two long barrels, mounted on a truck.

“Great work, men and especially you, Scotch Tape!” The squad leader praised her.

But then she heard a noise that she would never forget. Looking up into the sky, she saw an entire squadron of Korean bombers.

They were targeting Jackson’s battalion below her, so she did the only thing she could do.

The medic manned the gun, she loaded the ammo.

It was them against entire bomber squadron, firing the AA gun on every bomber they saw. The escort fighters fired on them but their shots missed the emplacement.

They had no reinforcements. If those men were killed, their advance would be completely halted. And she would have lost Jackson.

After the first few went down, they started targeting the AA position. Scotch Tape had to stand her ground.

They shot down then more bombers.

But then the planes veered away. The filly looked after them before an explosion behind her knocked her down. The bombers bombed the mountain, creating a landslide, burying all of them on the ground.

One of the escort planes got hit by the debris crashing towards her and the US soldiers.

They tried to run as the plane hit the ground in what seemed like slow motion for them. The noise of the impact was loud, deafening and the force of impact was so strong that it blasted Scotch Tape away, making her briefly wonder if she would survive this before everything went black.

Author's Note:

This battle is lost, or isn't it?