• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 1,095 Views, 114 Comments

Freedoms Call - Bronycommander



Occupied America 2029. America is occupied for two years now by the Greater Korean Republic. This year will be a surprise for a KPA soldier

  • ...
23
 114
 1,095

Chapter 4 Safe Haven

Chapter 4: Safe Haven

Chung and Chang returned to Kate’s house after the raid. They were called as reinforcements as the Resistance made trouble but called back before they could arrive.

They both saw Kate and Amy depressed on the couch. “What happened?” the police officer asked.

“T-they took Scotch Tape!” Amy said through tears.

Realizing that they both were blaming themselves, the young soldier comforted them. “Don’t blame herself, you did what you could. “ He took Amy on his arm and patted her back. She cried herself to sleep.

“You’re right, we did what we could.” Kate had pulled herself together and tucked her daughter in. “Maybe some sleep makes me feel better.” She went to bed.

“Don’t worry my friend, I will not rest until I have found her.” Chang leaved and Chung went to bed himself, worried about Scotch Tape.

Please be alright, wherever you are.

The next morning, they had slept not so well due worrying about the foal.

As they had breakfast, the radio turned on.

“Good morning Montrose. You're listening to KPAR 88.3 FM. Our top story for this hour: 24 American civilians were dead in the wake of a shooting spree by a local insurgent group. KPA authorities are searching for Connor Morgan, believed to be responsible for...” Chung turned it off as Amy hugged her mother.

“Mommy, do you think she was along them?” She asked with fear and worry.

“I hope not, sweetie.” He stroked her hair.

The KPA soldier had an idea. He switched to another frequency. The voice of Freedom. An American controlled radio station operating throughout the occupied states. As opposed to the KPA-censored radio stations, the Voice of Freedom broadcasts the truth of what is really going on in the occupied states. It was illegal to listening to it but Chung secretly listed to it sometimes to know what really was happening. And maybe, it could tell what happened to Scotch Tape.

“Yesterday afternoon, KPA authorities raided the town of Montrose, Colorado. Their goal, in the words of the enemy, was ‘to neutralize high value citizen targets.’

But, this was not a measured response to American insurgency. This was innocent blood running red on the Main Street. Your families and friends shot down like animals. One of the Montrose Resistance cells reportedly escaped after a brutal firefight in a nearby neighborhood. We can only hope that these freedom fighters made it to one of their safe zones, somewhere in the sea of abandoned suburbs. But, whatever their fate, we will fight on. Don't believe the lies of Korean-controlled media. We are the channel of truth, and this is the Voice of Freedom.”

“Do you think the resistance saved her?” Kate asked with hope.

“I’m pretty sure. But we can only hope and pray.”


The young pony awoke with a groan. Slowly getting up, Scotch Tape realized that she was bandaged around her chest, her overall was consolidated next to her.

Oh, my head…what happened? Looking around, trying to remember what happened, she found herself in a bed with a blanket covering her. Children's drawings were on the wall next to her.

Rianna walked in. “I’m so glad you’re awake. I was worried you would die. You’re too young and cute.” The woman hugged the filly, she grunted in pain and gasped for air.

Realizing that she almost stifled Scotch Tape, Rianna let go. “Sorry, you’re just so cute.”

“I know.” The foal caught her breath. The room she was in has seen better days but was still cozy.

“If you’re excuse me, If have something to take care of. And don’t worry, we will inform Kate that you’re safe and sound.” She leaved.

Scotch Tape closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She was safe. But what happened to Chung and Chang? She didn’t know.

I hope you’re both alive.

Boone came with Jacobs in. “Glad you’re awake too. Come outside when you’re ready. I’ll show you around.” The former state police officer smiled at her. It was painful but Jacobs helped her up.

“Thank you.”

As they walked out, Scotch took notice of table soccer near the doorway that leads to a Glasshouse.

Radio chatter emitted from Boone’s radio. “The pilot’s up. We’ll be moving out during the next patrol gap.” He opened the door. “Come on.”

Once on the stairs down, Scotch Tape was speechless as she saw the outside. Wherever she was, it was beautiful.

“Welcome to your new home. It’s our little piece of America. We all came together to create this place and to have some sense of community. Not quite the future we had in mind, but at least we’re free. From the outside it’s just more boarded up suburban failure. But inside, we’ve built ourselves a safe haven.” Boone sounded proud as they walked down.

“Fences, tree cover and that camo scam keep us hidden from the KPA. Still, we’ve got to be careful. Especially now.” His radio buzzed. “Got it. Get Rianna on the radio. She’s prepping the playground. Talk to Conner about ammo.” He pointed to a garden.

“Everything we eat, we grow. Waters collection’s over there. And between solar panels and the windmills, just enough power to get by.”

It reminded Scotch Tape of the Chapel, a settlement, the home of the crusaders, a group of orphaned Fillies and Colts. Scotch Tape lived and worked alongside them, when she was out roaming the Wastelands alongside Blackjack and her companions. She helped to install a working plumbing system in Chapel, improving living conditions for the crusaders. That was also the day where she earned her Cutie Mark. The Chapel was also her, Blackjack’s and their friends’ home when not travelling the wasteland.

To her left, a man worked on computer hardware. “Hello.” She greeted him.

“Hi there. No shortage of old parts to fix around here. I’d shake your hoof but I’m a little wrapped up here. I’m Andrew. You’re Scotch Tape, right?”

“Yes. Mind if I help you out?”

“Not at all. But that has time until later. Introduce yourself around.”

She nodded and got into a house with Jacobs. A woman was cooking supper, two children, younger than Scotch Tape, were sleeping at a fireplace in sleeping bags and the mother the resistance had saved, was sitting on a couch, rocking her baby.

Conner walked out of a room that looked like an office. “Back from the dead, huh?” He asked Jacobs before turning to Boone.

“This means we’re set to go, right? I’m damned tired of sitting here. We’ve got a short window to grab those tracking devices and we shouldn’t be wasting more time.”

“Shh. Keep it down!” The mother interrupted.

“It’s my call. We do this right and we won’t lose anybody else.” Boone replied.

“Those bastards are going to get what’s coming to them.” The aggressive man leaved.

“Conner’s a good man to have in a fight. Look around if you’re like.” Boone got outside too.

The supper smelled delicious. Much better then Glory’s food. Sometimes, I wonder how Blackjack can like that. The filly wondered as Glory was a very bad cook.

“Don’t mind those two. They’re always going at it. I don’t think Conner appreciates everything Boone’s done to keep this place safe. I’m Sally. Dinner’s at 7. We’re having leftovers. I hope you join us.”

“Count me in, Sally.” Scotch smiled as the mother said to Jacobs,

“I appreciate what you did for us back there. My name is Janice.”

“Robert Jacobs. And this is Scotch Tape.”

She waved a hoof before curiosity got the best of her and she investigated the office.

Radio chatter emitted from the radio in the office. A map was on the wall, showing the drastic changes the country has gone through. A newspaper was also in the office.

Juche Ideology

2/18/2007

Created by Kim Il-sung and based off classic Marxist-Leninist dogma, the Juche Ideology of self-reliance was created in the sixties as a check against proxy control by other prominent communist nations. Focused on North Korea's contemporary goals of an independent foreign policy, a self-sustaining economy and self-reliant defensive posture, it has also served to create an autocratic regime completely under the control of Kim Jong-Il.

While the Juche Ideology is focused on self-reliance and manifesting the will of the people the North Korean government has been forced to accept food aid from the outside and implement a number of market reforms. Famine resulting from Kim Jong-Il's policies has resulted in widespread starvation, and numerous governments including the United States have given aid to North Korea through the UN World Food Program. While this has weakened the foundation of the ideology, it has not stopped the North Koreans from attempting to re-unite the peninsula on their terms, using erratic displays of military power to threaten its neighbors.

Many critics and human rights organization contend that the North Korean political environment bears no resemblance to the Juche Ideology. Based on reports from defectors, the people have no actual part in the decision making process, and the country relies on aid for more than a quarter of its food. It remains to be seen how long Kim Jong-il can maintain absolute control over the country.

No resemblance to the Juche Ideology, that’s exactly right! Scotch thought, not believing it at all.

Walking outside, closing the door, she saw a man working on a transceiver. “Hello there.”

“Hi, name’s Zach. This Transceiver should let us listen in on Korean radio chatter. Not sure how well it’s gonna work, but any warning is better than none, right?”

“Indeed.” She agreed.

“The KPA figures we’re out here somewhere. But we’re well-hidden. Nothing like being surrounded by an ocean of abandoned suburbs.”

“Why’re they abandoned?” the filly asked curious.

“Too much energy consumed getting people and supplies back and forth to the suburbs. Most had to move to the cities. It’s either that, or the labor camps. We call it the Oasis. It’s not much, but we call it home.”

While Stable 99 used to be her home before the incident, the Chapel was what she could call a new home. And the Oasis was similar to it. A community working together.

Looking on her PipBuck, there were several yellow bars surrounding her. In front was a playground, consisting of two swings and a slide. A boy, younger than her was having fun on it. To her right was a male resident that cooked herbs and spice.

“Hello.”

“Hello, I’m Carlos. So you’re the child everyone’s talking about, huh? Heard you were very brave back there.”

“Yes, I am.”

“They took a big risk with the pilot and you. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t have the luxury of taking chances around here. We got our families to think about.”

“I understand. When was this safe haven made?”

“We’ve been hiding here for almost two years. Someday we’ll build this land back into a country. Good meeting you. Take care now.”

“I will.” While Scotch Tape didn’t know how life was in Equestria before the Great War, she was sure someday, Equestria would return to its former state.

The boy smiled and waved at her, she returned it.

A woman was tending the vegetable gardens. “Oh! Hey there. Welcome to Oasis. I’d like to talk but we got a lot of work to do before sundown. Can’t risk running too many lights after dark. I’m Ana and this is my husband Michael. The boy on the swing is our child Logan.”

“Pleasure.”

Next to them to the left, a resident of Afro-American origin was on what appeared to be a cross walker, connected to a rain collection site. “Hello there, Scotch Tape. Call me Adedayo. Hopper rigged this system up, so I don’t have to haul the water by hand anymore. He’s our resident mechanical genius. The guy even managed to hack Goliath to fight for us.”

“Impressive.” She commented.

Exploring more of the safe haven, she came to a man wearing glasses who milking a goat. “Hello.”

“Hello, I’m Sid. You believe this? Goat’s eat through anything. ‘Course you can pretty much feed them anything. And it’s fresh milk for the kids.”

“Good to know.”

Looking at the system, Scotch thought if she could make it even better. She jumped into the air as someone tipped her shoulder.

“Oh, it’s you, Jacobs.”

“Yes, sorry, didn’t want to startle you. Just wanted to say, I will whatever I can to help getting you back home.” He smiled friendly at her.

“Thanks. What’s your backstory if I may ask?”

“Well, before the invasion, I served in the United States Marine Corps as an infantryman, but was put on loan to the Air Force as a helicopter pilot, until the government began cutting its budget, which forced me to retire. But I admit I planned to retire earlier as it was very dull given that the military had been mostly inactive due to the economic recession. Since then, I had worked for several odd jobs. Before the EMP, I travelled to Los Angeles for a job. I was on my way home when the EMP happened. The KPA wanted to recruit me. As I failed to answer the draft, they arrested me and here I am.”

“Well, my story is a long one. Better I tell it later, ok?”

“Okay. See you later.” The former pilot ruffled her mane before he leaved. Hopper joined her.

“How’s it going?”

“Good, Hopper. Is it true that you hacked Goliath?” she asked with excitement.

He smiled. “Yep. I’m a third generation Korean-American; my grandparents fled North Korea in the mid-sixties. I lived in Oakland, California, but during the riots, my house got burned down. Prior to the invasion, I used to be a very skilled technician. The KPA forcefully recruited me to repair military equipment. While repairing electronics for the Koreans, I reconfigured the unmanned armed ground vehicle Goliath and built a controller so that it would be under my direct control. Escaping with it, I joined this resistance cell.”

“Sorry to hear it. I’m very skilled in Engineering. Say, where is Goliath?” She felt sorry for him but her technical and engineering interest in Goliath was awoken.

“In a garage, let me show you.” The Korean-American leaded the foal to a garage that was connected to the Oasis. The drone was inside, recharging.

“While Goliath is very powerful, it is vulnerable to Armor-Piercing Rounds, Attack Helicopters, EMP Rockets, RPG's, and Tanks.” He explained.

Scotch Tape putted her hoof to her chin. “Hmm…mind if I change that?”

“We got a lot of scrap parts of cars in the other garage, do as you like.”

He got her some tools. The young foal putted some scrap parts, like car doors and hoods on the unmanned ground vehicle, making an improvised armor out of it. Also, she connected a large-caliber machine gun that was once looted from a crashed UH-60 to the targeting system. She also reconfigured the system.

Looking through the scrap parts, she found a still working car battery. Exactly what I was looking for!

Getting back to the cross walker, she connected the battery to the solar panels and windmills. “What are you doing?” Hopper and Adedayo wondered.

“You’ll see.” She was proud as the cross walker got connected to the battery too. Once connected, the cross walker moved on his own, hauling the water automatically.

All residents were impressed. “Wow. I must admit, I’m impressed. I was wrong about you, Scotch Tape.” Conner said to her as all others save for Rianna and him, went back to work. “You’re a genius like Hopper.”

She blushed at the compliment. “Thank you very much. Why did you join the resistance?”

I was born in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1989 and was a marine fighting in the oil wars before I joined the resistance. I had a good friendship with some comrades but then… this terrible day in Riyadh happened…” He sounded sad, struggling not to cry. “But in my heart, they’re still alive, fighting by my side.”

“As for me, I used to be a nurse before all this and an expert hunter in my spare time. I and Kate went together to school and were best friends. Due the economic problems, our contact broke away but for helping me becoming a nurse, I still owe her something. And I promise I will bring you back to her safe and sound.” The woman smiled warmly at her.

“Appreciated, Rianna.”

Then, she enjoyed being on the swing while Logan pushed her and they played tag. While playing, she found another newspaper.

United States begins phased withdrawal from Middle East

10/5/2012

In a joint press conference with his British counterpart, the President announced that both governments will begin withdrawing troops from Iraq as early as this month. The phased withdrawal calls for reducing the force level to around half its current strength by June, culminating in a complete withdrawal by December. The announcement comes on the heels of a statement from the Iraqi Prime Minister that he no longer feels that US forces are needed in most of his provinces.

The withdrawal is officially being described as a "transition", focusing on US-trained Iraqi security forces taking control of the country. Although there have been more than 5,000 US servicemen lost since the war began in 2003, there has been sharp decline in fatalities in the last few months, with only two deaths occurring in the last thirty days. A spokesman for the Defense department said that it was expected that 70 percent of the Iraqi army was expected to be in control of its own sectors by the end of the year.

Oh, how wrong they were. Scotch felt pity.

During the rest of the day, Scotch Tape had a happy conversation with Hopper about engineering, had a great and fun time with the children and helped out in the garden, despite not being skilled in that but she enjoyed it still.

In the evening, they all had Dinner, The foal told her story. Everyone was fascinated and told his condolences for her. Conner even showed a human and calm side, saying that he never thought a KPA soldier could be so kind and promised to spare him should they met.

Before Boone, Jacobs, Conner and Rianna moved out, the young woman tucked the foal in. “Goodnight and sweet dreams. We will inform them that you’re safe, you have my word.” She gave Scotch a kiss on the forehead.

Knowing that she could trust them all, the green pony drifted off to sleep.


She woke up in the middle of the night by a noise. Getting out of bed to investigate, opening the door, she saw Rianna carrying Boone who was wounded.

Scotch Tape gasped and gave them a first-aid kit.

“Don’t you worry, I will make it Scotch Tape. Get to sleep again.” Bonne assured her.

With that Scotch Tape got back into bed.


A day had passed. Neither Chang nor Chung was able to find out where Scotch Tape was and that filed them with unease and worry.

Right now in the night, Chang was guarding the labor camp at the Montrose Elementary School. He felt sorry for the American people.

Chung was not here, he guarded a Fuel station in Downtown.

The KPA had information from a collaborator that the resistance was here to steal tracking beacons. That would be the perfect opportunity to end once and for all.

They waited in cover at the Administrative Building for the Collaborator and resistance members to show up.

“Here they come.” A comrade said.

The Collaborator, Arnie, who had a teenage daughter, grabbed one of the resistance members, pointing a pistol at him. Chang felt sorry for Arnie, had he refused to work with them, they had killed his daughter. He had seen it before, Kate and Amy was the perfect example.

Spotlights turned on and the police officers got into position as Arnie shouted, “Nobody move! I’ve got kids, besides, they cut me a better deal. It’s over! Face it, the Koreans have won.”

“It’s over for you.” One of the members said sarcastically before grabbing and pointing the gun of the Korean behind him at Arnie. The policeman pulled the trigger, the shot hit the collaborator's head, killing Arnie. He and the other member overpowered the Koreans that held them at gunpoint. The third drew his pistol and shot a comrade next to Chang into the head.

Chang shouted, “I don’t want but I will kill you!” But the pistol wielding resistance fighter shot him into the left shoulder, causing him to drop his rifle with a cry of pain.

He fell backwards against the wall, holding his shoulder.

The terrorists cleared the area of KPA personnel.

“Okay, now where are those beacons?” One of them, wearing a cap asked.

“He knows!” The aggressive one got his knife out. “Tell us and it will be quick!”

“Alright, alright. They are in the Administrative Building. I’m so sorry, Scotch Tape…” he added quietly.

“Wait, did you say Scotch Tape?” the freedom fighter with the pistol asked.

“Uh…yes?” Chang replied confused.

“Conner, don’t! It’s him!” the cap wearing member held his friend back.

“Is…is she okay?” the policeman asked.

Conner took his knife away. “Well yes, she’s safe and sound at our safe haven.”

Thanks to his father teaching him how to know if people were lying or not when checking them, the police officer could see that the former Marine was honest.

“Please, let me live, she wouldn’t take it!”

Conner helped him up. “Get out of here. I made a promise to her and I will keep it no matter what.”

“Thank you! You won’t regret it!” Despite having an injured shoulder, Chang was able to get to safety.

Chung will never believe this!


Scotch Tape woke up in the morning with a cute yawn as the Voice of Freedom had a special report.

“These photos came to me by way of a friend with contacts deep in the Resistance. I think we all suspected - no, we knew - that atrocities like this were happening, but the proof is so horrifying - it's almost surreal. But we should be thankful for this evidence; it reveals an enemy that wants to dehumanize us. But pushing American corpses into an unmarked ditch can't bury our defiance. If dirt and gravel fill silent mouths, we'll speak for them and tell their stories to the world. The dead have names, as long as we fight in their memory. This land will be our land again. Even now, the Resistance is planning attacks that could lead to victory in one of our greatest cities. This is the Voice of Freedom, signing off."

The filly gulped. D-ditch? I don’t want to end in a ditch.

Sally walked in with a breakfast board. “Rise and shine, my dear.” She had made oatmeal with a glass of juice.

“Thank you.” She enjoyed the breakfast.

This day wasn’t very different from the last day, she helped where she could, even played table soccer with Rianna, it ended in a draw.

She enjoyed it here but knew it wasn’t her home. Still, for some reason, she started to miss not only her father and friends back home, but also Kate, Amy, Chung and Chang. They were her “Family” here. I miss you.


Chung was on guard duty at Tiger Direct Fuel station in Downtown Montrose. Tiger direct was a former computer store. His friend was in the hospital for recovery and had told him about Scotch Tape.

Knowing that the resistance had saved the young child, they both, Amy and Kate were relieved. “Hey, comrade, you okay?” A fellow soldier tore him out of his thought.

“What? Oh, was lost in thought, that’s all.” Suddenly, music sounded. He recognized the song. Elvis Presley' Burning Love.

A white van broke through the gate, crashing against a car wreck, missing a KPA soldier who barely jumped out of the way.

“Out of the vehicle, hands in the air!” an officer ordered as the soldiers surrounded the van.

Chung looked into the air as he saw a white flare. Oh no! It was White Phosphorus, about to be used by the KPA in case of an uprising. Chung had seen it before, inhuman and painful.

The young Korean barely managed to get to cover under a roof before the mortar exploded, setting his comrades on fire. “My…god!” He exclaimed in shock, as the unlucky soldiers screamed in pain, trying to pat the fire out before dying. He knew that the Resistance wanted revenge for what the GKR did to the Americans but had never thought that they would go that far. Still, sniper fire ringed in his ears, seeing how some soldiers were putted out of their misery.

“Who’s shooting?! I told you to let them suffer!” Conner exclaimed.

“Do I have to remind you that a KPA soldier took care of Scotch Tape and could be along them? He doesn’t deserve such a painful death!” Jacobs countered as he had Sniper duty to cover the assault on the fuel depot, so they could track a fuel truck.

“I get your point. Hopper! Where’s our second round?”

“I’m working on it!” Hopper responded as the two forces engaged in a battle in the parking lot, with neither side gaining ground. Jacob fired at the KPA soldiers, feeling guilty and sorry as he feared he could kill Chung.

Chung fired at the resistance members, making sure to aim for the head to save ammo and to give them a quick and merciful death. He never liked killing, knowing that they were fighting for their country, feeling guilty and regret. As he reloaded behind cover, he heard a voice scream, “Oh, shit. Misfire! Misfire!”

Seeing a second White Phosphor round, he was shocked. Having no time to run for cover, he just pressed himself against the wall of a building to his left. The explosion set everything around him on fire.

Two resistance members jumped down from the tower, but were knocked down by the impact.

Knowing that the only option to survive was to working with them, he helped the male member up. “You okay? My friend told me you saved Scotch Tape, so I wanted to thank you and to retaliate.”

The man just nodded as the woman said, “We gotta head for the tower! Follow me! Run!”

As they moved, a burning soldier screaming pain came of the fire and died.

“Jacobs? Rianna? Do you hear me? Where did that second round land? Guys? Can you hear me?” Hopper asked as a car exploded, throwing Chung and Jacobs down. “Is everything okay?”

Looking at a burned body, Chung helped the former pilot up.

“Somebody, please say something!” The Korean-American panicked. “I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!”

Just as they all three reached the tower, a burning resistance member got blasted away by an exploding car, letting out a scream.

"It jammed! It was an accident!”

“Your accident nearly got us killed!” Conner replied on the radio. Seeing Chung, He just asked,” You’re Chung?” The Korean nodded. “Scotch Tape’s safe and sound.”

“Glad to know. If you can make it into the store, watch your aim there are barrels with Flammable material inside.” Chung coughed but thanks to the handkerchief, he hadn’t inhaled too much smoke,

Jacobs and Rianna were violently coughing, the woman had collapsed on the ground. “Take shallow breaths through your nose. We’ve got a few seconds before the Phosphors burns off enough to push through on.” Conner said to her.

“Jesus, Conner. Half those people burning down are ours. There’s no way we’re…”

“Cut that crap. Failure here is not an option. Are you with us?” Conner asked with authority like a drill instructor.

“Yeah.” She pulled herself together.

“Attack Chopper!” Jacobs yelled as a Z-10 Chimera, an attack helicopter developed by the People's Republic of China and used by the Korean People's Army, fired on the tower, causing it to collapse and everyone to black out.

Robert came to with a blurry vision and ringing ears. A KPA soldier inspected the resistance team and raised his rifle but to his misfortune, he got rammed by the upgraded Goliath.

His comrades and Chung came to too. Rianna still coughed violently.

“This crap just keeps on getting better and better! Grab your gun, we’re hitting the store! Everybody form up behind Goliath! If we can make a break a big enough…”

“On the roof! EMP!” Rianna warned after she got up with Jacobs. A KPA soldier fired an EMP Rocket at the drone to shut it down. However, thanks to the upgrades Scotch Tape had done, Goliath destroyed it in mid flight with the secondary MG, then killed the soldier.

“Well I be damned, the foal upgraded Goliath in a way I could only dream of!” Hopper was impressed as he fired at the Korean soldiers.

“She can be proud of herself.” Chung got up, staying back in cover to avoid being seen by his comrades.

Goliath fired rockets at the enemy at the store entrance. “Did Goliath just fire rockets on his own?” Conner’s jaw was open in dismay.

“So that’s why she reconfigured the target system.” Hopper got it.

As Goliath took another EMP soldier and some more regular soldiers out, a Humvee arrived at the entrance, only to be destroyed by him.

A Korean soldier shouted, “Their war-machine is too powerful! Retreat!”

“They’re falling back! Keep pushing! Conner ordered.

“Thank for saving Scotch Tape! You won’t regret it!” Chung retreated along the other Koran soldiers to avoid suspension.

The Z-10 Chimera came back but got shot down automatically by Goliath and crashed into the roof of the Computer store. “I don’t think we need the targeter anymore,” Jacobs commented.

Goliath even took some more Humvees and a LAV that came as reinforcements out by itself, causing the soldiers to fall back. “Well, I don’t know how she did that but it makes the job 10 times easier. Let’s get this done.” Conner entered with Rianna and Jacobs the store, while Hopper guarded the parking lot with Goliath. All were greatly impressed by the upgrades Scotch Tape had done on Goliath. He could now shoot rockets down and the rocket launcher was now also computer controlled. It would definitely make the fight easier.

As Chung regrouped, he thought I hope the authorities won’t be too ruthless with their response. The civilians have suffered so much already.


Another day in the Oasis passed. The young pony breakfasted as the radio had news.

“We've confirmed news of a daring attack today against the primary KPA supply depot in Montrose. Although the Resistance suffered heavy losses, the mission was called a success. The courage and sacrifice of these men and women won't be forgotten. But, our enemies have also marked this day. Throughout the Occupation Zone, the KPA has increased security and pressured civilians to identify Resistance members. Citizens have 'disappeared' in alarming numbers with reports of torture and executions. Some question the risks of rebellion. They fear reprisals - the boot to the door in the middle of the night. The price of our liberty has always been high. We must stand together now, or not at all. This is the Voice of Freedom.”

She gulped, fearing that Kate and Amy could have been taken, tortured or executed. But she was glad that the Resistance was successful.

Suddenly, there was an explosion, causing her to jump into the air.

Looking outside of the window, she saw KPA soldiers raiding the Oasis, rounding up everyone. Putting bags over their heads, they killed the residents with headshots. Boone and Sally were not along them. Also the soldiers were not wearing normal red uniforms but heavy body armor in dark blue, having also different weapons than the regular soldiers.

Boone stormed in. “They found us! Quick, follow me!” She wasted no time.

The resistance leader leaded the foal into a backroom. “Stay here.” She nodded scared.

Trying to control her fear and panic, she looked on her PipBuck. The yellow bar that represented Boone was surrounded by several red bars. Then, the yellow bar faded until he was gone. “No…Boone…” She started to cower in fear.

It got worse, as a single red bar came closer to her position. Scotch walked backwards and stumbled over something. It was Sally’s corpse, lying on her back, a bullet hole in her head, Blood smeared.

In panic, Scotch Tape crawled backwards. She bumped into another soldier. Before she had a chance to scream, she got knocked out by the Korean soldier with the butt of his rifle.

Author's Note:

What do you think of Scotch Tape's upgrades?