• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 1,095 Views, 114 Comments

Freedoms Call - Bronycommander



Occupied America 2029. America is occupied for two years now by the Greater Korean Republic. This year will be a surprise for a KPA soldier

  • ...
23
 114
 1,095

Chapter 3 Why we fight

Chapter 3: Why we fight

It was another day in Stable 99. Unfortunate, there was a problem on the lower levels with the recycling system.

Scotch Tape and her mother should check it out. They came to an entrance of a corridor. “The problem appears to be somewhere in the corridor.” Her mother looked on her PipBuck. “Scotch Tape, please wait here while I check it out.”

“Yes, mommy!” She replied.

Her mother entered the corridor. Scotch Tape waited but got worried after some time passed. Why is she taking so long? Then she heard hoof steps. “Mommy, why did you...” the filly couldn’t finish as she saw her mother.

Her mother had some kind of cybernetic implants was on the left side of her head, the right fore hoof was replaced with some kind of weapon. She looked like a partially assimilated Borg drone.

“Kill me…” Dusk Tape pleaded with a cybernetic voice.

“I-I love you, mommy…” Scotch Tape reached for her pistol, shaking in shock.

The drone raised its weapon, with a painful expression, Dusk Tape struggled against it.

Still shaking, tears in her eyes, Scotch Tape managed to pull the trigger, giving her mother a quick and merciful death by a bullet to the head. “I-I’m so sorry…”

“Aren’t you forgetting someone, or something?” A new cybernetic voice was behind her. As she turned around in fear, a pony covered with exo-plating and the same implants as her mother stood before her. She couldn’t even scream as the pony injected her with the pair of flexible needle-like devices and the nanoprobes entered her bloodstream, attaching themselves to her red blood cells, circulating throughout the body. She blacked out.

Scotch Tape slowly came to as the drone spoke, “Rise and shine. Rise and shine.” It was working on her body, altering it. The pain was intensive as the nanoprobes also changed it painfully.

“It looks like a Borg. Walks like a Borg. And sees like a Borg.” The drone putted an eyepiece on her left eye, replacing it. “Then it must be a Borg.”

Having no longer control of her own body, the former filly checked her new implants as a status picture of her now cybernetic body appeared. Apart from the eyepiece that had replaced her organic left eye and exo-plating that covered her body, her right foreleg was replaced with a grappling hook, able to grab and assimilate a lifeform from a distance and to quickly get to point to point. Her vision was light blurry and green, flashing red for a few seconds from the pain.

Neural processor enabled

Cranial transceiver enabled

You wondering what you’re felling? That’s pain.” The drone said as if it knew she was in intensive pain as thousands of voices speaking as one filled her mind. “No Borg is an individual by himself. Every Borg is part of the whole.”

She looked at the Pony.

Target identified

First of 5

Lifeform: Borg

Action: ignore

"You hear that? Filling your mind, telling you what to think, what to do? Welcome to our collective, Scotch Tape.” First of 5 had finished the assimilation of the foal.

Activating Subspace Link

Borg designation: Second of 9.

Absorb

Destroy

Obey

Second of 9 got up. The Hive mind commanded the Pony drone to go to the security room. As it entered the room, Blackjack, other security personnel, Scotch Tape’s father, Morning Glory and Rampage and Lacunae saw it.

“Oh, Scotch Tape, what have they done?” Blackjack exclaimed in shock, yet without hesitating, drew her pistol and fired a shot along with her co-workers, but due Scotch Tape’s assimilated knowledge, the Borg knew how to adapt to it.

“They adapted!” The drone grabbed the pistol of a security guard, turning it around. The guard struggled against it, but as a drone possessed greater strength after assimilation then before assimilation, the former filly could overpower the adult pony with ease and shot him with his own weapon.

Looking at the others, Second of 9 could see that they were too shocked to attack, especially her former father, who trembled heavily while aiming at her. The former pony raised its cybernetic leg, grabbing him. The Earth pony struggled to no avail before he joined the collective. The drone felt no remorse, pity or sadness, as a Borg drone had no emotions or individuality, existing only to perform its designated function within the Collective.

Activating Subspace link

First of 5

Assist Second of 9

The other drone entered the room, raised his arm and fired at the others before they could react. Second of 9 approached Blackjack who backed up in fear. “No, Scotch Tape, don…” she couldn’t finish as the foal’s father came from behind, Borg implants already formed on his head, assimilated her.

Boo walked to First of 5 and grabbed his arm. “I don’t think so.” Everything went black, then white.

“You just called your follow Borg up to the security room and have him assassinating all your friends! Don’t feel bad, though. If they court martial you, you can always say ‘the collective made me do it.” Boo said to her before her vision whited out.

Waking up with a groan, Scotch Tape noticed how Amy had wrapped her arms around her. The filly smiled at the affection the girl showed for her.

That was a strange dream. Looking on the watch, it was 1AM, so Scotch Tape closed her eyes and fell asleep again.

The young man got early out of bed for Duty, smiling warmly at Kate and the two children who were still asleep.

Then something old came back from his memories.

Scotch Tape looks like a pony from the TV show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. That was a good show. Pity that it was cancelled in 2015 shortly after the Oil wars started.

He and his friend were fans of the show, or Bronys as they were also called. Both men had no favorite character in general, but liked foals in the show.

“Good morning, buddy.” Chang greeted him.

“Morning. I got a thought after I got up. Remember that children TV show we watched together years ago?”

“Sure thing. I loved every episode. Why?”

“Well, Scotch Tape looks exactly like a foal from the show.”

The policeman’s eyes went wide. “Y-you’re right! How did we not realize this earlier?”

“I don’t know, but we can live a brony’s dream.”

Nim chuckled. “Right. Now that you say it, if I remember correctly, there was a story on Fimfiction.net featuring her. Fallout Equestria: Project Steelpony…Project Heaven…” He tipped his forehead. “What was the name again?” He snipped his fingers. “Got it! Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons! Do you remember it?”

Chung chuckled. “Yes I do. Too bad that the internet in the south was shut down and replaced with the north’s version of it in 2016, otherwise I could have continued the story.”

“Me and you both. Even if that didn’t happened, we had never been to see the ending, as the side got shut down in the same year due the oil crises as far as I heard. Only 51 chapters were uploaded at the time. I really wanted to know how the story ends. Man, the author, Somber, was a genius, sometimes I wonder how he could come with such brilliant ideas. Whatever happened to him, I hope he survived the crises and can live a normal life as it is possible today.”

Chung remembered this chapter, Scotch Tape got her Cutie Mark there. Her father was so proud, now he must be worried sick about her. I will make sure you will return safe and sound to him, Scotch Tape. He thought, making an inner promise.

“Hey, remember what happened to her in Chapter 37?” Chang brought him out of it.

“Wha? Oh, right. Poor filly. I was crying, praying she would make it. Good thing she did, she’s my favorite of the group.” He shivered at the thought.

“Mine too. Let’s make sure she won’t suffer such a fate here.”

“Of course. We live a dream other fans can only imagine. Remember that scene with her father and Rampage, featuring a grenade?”

The soldier smiled, quoting some parts of the scene.

‘He dove to his bag and dug out a magic grenade. “Back! Back I say…” He waved it at her.

‘I swear to Celestia, if you try and kiss me, I will give you a second childhood! Or fifth… or whatever childhood you’re on!” he said as he kept the grenade outthrust in a hoof. But, more than anything, he was smiling. Maybe it was a little manic… maybe his eyes looked a touch sad… but he was smiling.

Then the door opened and Lacunae walked in. Her purple eyes widened at the mess on the table, the girls peeking out at him, Glory and I cuddling, and Rampage kissing the green-banded apple. She nearly glowed with power… strike that… she was glowing with power. I heard the clicking going off on the PipBucks on both Glory and Scotch’s hooves. “Am I interrupting?”’

At this moment, both Koreans broke out into laughter, unaware how they would have to take part in a brutal raid of the town.

In the morning, both children woke with a yawn, stretching themselves.

“Good morning, Scotch Tape.” Amy smiled.

“Morning.” They got out and saw that Kate was still asleep, Chung had left for work.

“Want to prepare breakfast for my mother?”

“Sure thing!” the green filly exclaimed as she and her friend entered the kitchen.

While not very skilled in cooking, Scotch Tape made toast and a glass of juice with Amy for Kate.

The woman woke up as a wonderful smell came out of the kitchen. The children walked in with a breakfast board. “Good morning mommy, we made you breakfast.” Her daughter gave her a smile.

“Thank you, children.” She enjoyed every bite. “Very delicious.”

Scotch Tape smiled too. “Glad to hear it.

Then, Kate made breakfast for the children.

While their guest enjoyed his oatmeal with milk and cocoa, the radio turned on.

“Good morning Montrose. You're listening to KPAR 88.3 FM.” Again, the female DJ repeated the sentence in Korean. “It is another beautiful day in the Colorado territory with highs in the mid-to-upper fifties and strong winds expected from the east. The days are getting shorter and every citizen of the Montrose partnership has been reminded that curfew has been moved up to 1800 hours. Early to bed, early to rise. Now back to the music that makes your work day ‘float with efficient cooperation’.” Kate turned it off before it could play any music.

Amy giggled as Scotch Tape’s mouth was covered in brown milk. The foal cleaned her mouth. Then, a red bar appeared on her PipBuck.

Looking on it, then outside, she spotted a Humvee that was confiscated by the KPA from the US forces, as the vehicle had dark green camouflage and bear the red Korean star on the sides of the squared trunk, or better said, rectangular back. It stopped in front of Kate’s house and an officer, easily recognizable by his beret and two soldiers got out.

“I think we have a problem.” She pointed with a hoof to it.

Kate’s expression became worried. “Oh, no. Oh god, no! Quick, hide kids!”

The two children hid under Amy’s bed. “I know it’s not the best place to hide but better than nothing.”

“Agreed.” Scotch Tape watched the soldiers’ movements on her PipBuck nervously.

They knocked on the door. “Kate Carter? Is this the home of Kate Carter?”

Kate opened the door. The officer was Colonel-Commandant Jeong.

The American didn’t want to lose her child, Amy was the only thing she had left. She knew Chung, he was always honest, she could tell by his behavior. At first, she feared Jeong would take her but then it clicked in her head. “Yes, can I help you?”

The officer stepped it. “Kate Carter…Why are you so reluctant to report suspicious activity to our police forces? We understand that you have lost almost everything. But you must take heart in what patriotism and cooperation can bring you.”

“I-I only found a lost child and took care of it!” She replied in disrepair.

“We know to appreciate that and you’re caring for children. But eventually, it’s our duty to bring it home. Sergeant Moon, search it.”

The Sergeant searched the building. Scotch Tape and Amy held their breath as they saw the Korean Sergeant in front of the bed. He looked down and grabbed one of the filly’s legs.

Scotch Tape struggled in his arms but he was to strong. “Amy, help me!” She screamed but the other soldier saw her rescue attempt and grabbed her too.

As the two children were brought to the Colonel-Commandant, Kate begged, “Please! What was I supposed to do, let her freeze and die out here? She’s still a child!”

“We only have some questions for her. Thank you for your cooperation and for helping our glorious leader in this endeavor to persevere the rights you still have. Now I remind you that any action will result in the extermination of this entire block. So your decisions will not only affect you but your child and your friends. Now we wouldn't want that to happen, do we?” Jeong replied cold.

“O-okay…I understand…” Kate looked with a sorry expression at her young guest who still struggled.

“As reward for your cooperation, you and your daughter are spared from the raid we execute at the moment and you are allowed to take care of this…child once we have questioned her. Take her away!”

The soldier let go of Amy, she ran to her mother, tears in her eyes.

“No, please! Kate, don’t-“ the soldier who had held Amy, hit Scotch Tape with the buttstock of his gun, causing her vision to be blurry.

They threw her into the floor and down the stairs, knocking her momentarily unconscious and causing her nose to bleed.

“Was that really necessary?!” Kate yelled in shock.

“Standard procedure, I’m not allowed to make exceptions.” The KPA commander replied and left.

“M-mommy…” Amy cried into her shoulder.

“Shh...don’t blame yourself.” Both prayed that Scotch Tape wouldn’t be executed. While they knew that the filly had survived many bad things as she had told them, Scotch Tape wouldn’t probably survive long in a labor camp, given the bad conditions and treatment and that the slightest suspicion could cost the young foal her live and would be thrown into a ditch, a mass grave. Right now, they both wished that the resistance would safe her, despite disliking the resistance to some point.

Scotch Tape slowly regained consciousness. She was dragged by the two soldiers to the Humvee. She saw how citizens were leaded away, their hands behind their heads. “Keep moving! Eyes forward! Stay in line!” The MP who watched them ordered.

One of the soldiers handcuffed her in the car. She looked out of the window.

“You are under arrest!” a member of the Occupational Police Force was about to arrest a citizen.

“Hey! Hey!” He yelled before a KPA soldier hit him in the back with the butt of his rifle, knocking him down. A comrade putted a bag over the American’s head.

The Humvee started to move. The filly saw many civilians on their knees with their hands behind their heads. A woman tried to hold her husband’s hand, screaming as two Koreans broke their grip, separating them.

At a former bar, two policemen were merciless hitting a civilian who lied defenseless on the ground with their nightsticks until he didn’t move anymore.

Three civilians were standing against the wall. One of them tried to flee, only to get killed with a head shot by a soldier, blood splattered on the glass of the window, Scotch Tape yelped.

“Shut up!” One soldier sitting in the Humvee ordered.

Now Scotch Tape understood what Chung and Amy meant with that the KPA came down on the civilians with more violence.

The Humvee was about to take a left turn. “Don’t look. Please don’t look. Just…don’t think about it. Just…close your eyes…” A mother pleaded to her son not to look as she and her husband were held at gunpoint.

“Wait!” the husband yelled before soldiers executed them. The toddler started to cry over the loss of his parents, the soldiers didn’t care about him, walking away like nothing happened. This shocked Scotch Tape.

Oh my...Chung didn’t lie, his comrades are really merciless. Images of getting killed, experimented, dissected, even raped, flashed through her mind by the shock and seeing corpses covered by white blankets, a policeman dragged a body away, leaving a blood trail on the ground. Oh Celestia…somepony save me! While she was very brave for a foal of her age, the fear took fully over at this point, she trembled.

The SUV passed a parked T-99 tank with an officer standing in front of the turret as he watched over American civilian prisoners being marched to a KPA controlled building.

The military vehicle stopped at a checkpoint. She saw a tower. A heavy tri-barrel machine gun activated and scanned her. “Please keep your arms and legs inside the Humvee at all times.” A female PA voice said after the scan was done. “Trespassers and civilians, who resist, will be shot swiftly and without mercy.” It added.

Scotch Tape was too shocked to hear how the checkpoint guard asked the driver for passengers, destination and transfer papers. He let the SUV pass as he saw it was Colonel-Commandant Jeong personally.

After passing the checkpoint, the Humvee took another left. As the SUV through an intersection, a house wall broke apart as a 6-wheeled vehicle broke through, ramming the Humvee, flipping it over.

While Scotch Tape was unharmed, the Koreans had less luck. Her vision was blurry as a woman opened the door. “Are you hurt?” She asked genuinely concerned.

“N-no, I’m fine.” The foal got up, the woman helped her out of the vehicle.

“Here.” The human give her cloth for her nose.

“Thanks.” Scotch Tape held it on her nose to stop the bleeding.

“You’re welcome. I’m Rianna. Glad that Hooper’s improvised and risky plan didn’t get you killed.”

Scotch Tape was about to say something but saw the 6-wheeled vehicle. It looked terrible familiar to the machine from her nightmare. In fear, she cowered, shielding her head. “K-keep that thing away from me!”

Rianna petted her. “There’s no need to be scared. Goliath won’t hurt you.”

Slowly looking up, the filly saw that Goliath was a drone, armed with an MG and a rocket launcher in the middle. It also had headlights on the front and a taillight like a normal car had. The machine in her nightmare had more armor and only a cannon on the roof.

“Sorry my dear, couldn’t get up with a better plan so fast. No hard feelings I hope. “I’m Hopper Lee.” A man said to her. He was wearing a green cap, looking similar to Chung and also was wearing a bag.

“None taken. I’m Scotch Tape.” She introduced herself as she noticed that Hopper was armed with a M4, Rianna with a shorter version of it. Must be the resistance.

“Rianna, where are you?” a male voice asked on her radio.

“On our way. Come with me if you want to live.” Scotch Tape nodded.

Hooper took another way, the woman leaded Scotch to another intersection where a truck rammed a bus, flipping it also over.

A man stepped out of the truck, climbed into the bus and helped another man out.

“Glad to see that Conner’s ‘Plan’ didn’t get you killed, I’m Rianna. Let’s go.”

Scotch Tape spotted a newspaper at a house. Curious, she read it.

Wild fluctuations in oil market lead to instability, uncertainty

12/3/2013

Although the first decade of the 21st century is the "poster boy" for fluctuating oil prices, the sudden shifts of the past few years suggest that this decade may yet break that record. A series of reforms aimed at stomping speculation in the sector, enacted after the wild price spikes in 2008, temporarily appeared to smooth out fluctuations in the market. However, a cascade of unforeseen events (including a strike in Venezuela and ongoing political instability in Nigeria) have caused analysts to question the global market's ability to keep pace with demand. "This year, we've seen oil prices as low as $70 a barrel and as high as $200," commented Goldman Sachs analyst John Rice. "It's difficult to say how a market as essential to global economic health will weather any additional instability." Rice and other analysts fear that as demand returns and supply cannot be met, prices will skyrocket out of control, further depressing the global economy. Already, major American automobile manufacturers are feeling the crunch as demand for personal vehicles has bottomed out. "The US auto manufacturing is dead in the water," Rice stated in no uncertain terms. "It remains to be seen what will happen to other petroleum dependent sectors."

“Here comes the cavalry. Get out of the parking lot!” Conner ordered not noticing the filly at first.

“They spotted us! Into the store!” Rianna followed him, the other man and the foal close behind.

A Korean UH-60 Black Hawk hovered over them and gave an order via loudspeakers to stop and surrender.

Scotch Tape saw a red bar on her PipBuck. A Humvee fired into the story, bullets missed her barely. She was used to being under fire in the wasteland and tried to keep calm. But she was afraid to die here, not seeing her father or friends again. “Get down!” Conner took the lead. “They’re trying to head us off!”

“I hope you’re worth what this rescue’s gonna cost us.” The female resistance member commented to the man they had rescued. He was now armed with a M9, stolen from a dead KPA MP.

“We need you in this fight, Jacobs! Start shooting!” Conner kicked the backdoor open.

At an alley, a pair of KPA policemen jumped over a fence to intercept the suspects. “Two of ‘em coming over the fence.” Rianna pointed them out.

“Put down your weapons! Hands behind your back!” one of the police officers ordered.

“Aim for the head, make every bullet count!” Conner advised as Jacobs opened fire.

Scotch Tape could see that Jacobs wasn’t angry or aggressive, he only defended himself as he did not wanted to end up in a labor camp or anything worse.

After he had killed them, Conner commented, “There’s no going back, you have Korean blood on your hands. You’re in the resistance now.” He kicked another door open as Jacobs took a T3AK rifle from the dead Koreans. That filled Scotch Tape also with unease, fearing that Chung and Chang could get killed by them. They would hesitate to fire when they see me, I’m sure of it. She thought recognizing them by that action.

“They’re coming through the skylight!” Rianna held the foal with her left hand back to avoid that Scotch would get hit as a KPA soldier rappelled down from the chopper through it. “Two more upfront. Stay low and keep behind cover.” Two policemen stormed the building but Jacobs took them all out.

“Pick up any spare mags you find. Don’t leave any ammo for the enemy. There’s a gas station up ahead – Kims used it as fuel depot. I know a shortcut through the suburbs, we need to get out of sight until this blows over. Enemies by the bus!” Conner yelled outside, Jacobs took care of them. Scotch Tape stayed in cover. Looking on her PipBuck, all KPA soldiers were red bars, she was not sure if Chung and Chang would be too, or yellow bars.

“I thought this was supposed to be a quick Snatch and grab.” Rianna gave the child a sign to move on.

Vaulting over a wall, they came to a building, opposite of the Gas station. Jacobs found some grenades.

Many red bars appeared on Scotch’s PipBuck as reinforcements came in by Troop Transports and rappelled down from helicopters.

Jacobs threw a few grenades while the green pony used a fallen over vending machine as cover. More transports arrived.

“Check your fire! Watch out for the pumps!” The woman warned, fearing they could blow up.

“Screw ‘em! If they blow, we’ll take ‘em all with us.” Conner countered as he fired.

But it was too late. The foal saw how the pumps already had caught fire. The explosion took every KPA soldier out. Out of reflex, they all covered their faces.

Scotch Tape stared at the destroyed gas station, praying her friends weren’t along the victims as Rianna asked, “Everybody in one piece?” Scotch nodded.

“Count your pieces later. We gotta go before reinforcements show up.” Conner replied.

A troop transport exploded near Scotch Tape. She was unharmed but stumbled, coughed and her ears ringed.

“You ok?” Rianna asked as she helped her up.

“I’m fine.”

“What the? A foal that can speak?” Conner noticed her finally, confused, so was Jacob.

“Yeah, sounds strange but I and Hopper saved her like we did Jacobs. An old friend of mine took care of her and I still owe her something.”

“You let me waiting for a speaking foal?!” Conner exclaimed. “She could also be a KPA spy!”

“No she’s not! She’s just a child!” they augmented.

Scotch Tape cleared her throat. “Can this wait, until we’re safe?”

“She has a point.” Jacobs added.

“Alright, alright. Boone, it's Conner. We’ve got the pilot and…another saved citizen.”

The radio buzzed unintelligible radio chatter. “Don’t worry about it. Ought to slow them down. And the citizen is a child. We’re on our way to Revere Road. Meet us there. I don’t have time to argue. Conner out."

Scotch Tape found another newspaper.

Kim Jong-un promises to protect Koreans worldwide

8/23/2017

The following is an excerpt from a statement to the nation of Korea by Kim Jong-un,

President of Korea, broadcast on state television on Thursday:

"In ancient Rome, just three words were enough to protect any citizen: 'Civis Romanus sum': I am a Roman Citizen. So great was the power of Rome that an attack on a citizen of Rome was considered an attack on Rome itself. This is the message I am sending out to the world: anyone who carries a Korean passport, anyone born in our great country has but to utter these words: 'Na n'un (Chosun) shi-min in-mi-da' - 'I am a citizen of Korea'. If you can speak those words, know that you will be protected."

"Our countrymen are under attack on the island nation of Japan. Because of their Korean heritage we have seen their property destroyed and their persons assaulted, and in some cases they have been murdered. Simply because they are Korean. My message to them is simple: we will protect you. If we cannot protect you, we will avenge you."

“What was that about?” Rianna asked, tearing the foal out of it.

“Boone thinks it is too dangerous to blend in with the locals. He’d rather risk the entire operation than upset a bunch of squatters.”

“Calm down. He’s just looking out for them.” Rianna replied as Scotch Tape read another newspaper she found at a house.

Pentagon: North Korean missile test fails

7/6/2006

Despite ongoing talks to convince North Korea to give up its nuclear programme, the isolationist country staged a series of missile tests that began at 3:30 am local time (2:30 pm ET) and lasted for five hours. The Taepodong 2 missile (a variant of the Soviet-era Scud) failed 40 seconds into its launch, officials reported.

The US, Japan and the UN strongly condemned the tests, which they say violated a commitment on the part of Pyongyang to a long-standing moratorium on missile tests. The moratorium went into effect after the failed launch of Taepodong 1 missile over Japan in 1998.

Wouldn’t surprise me that Equestria had the same problem with the Megaspell at the beginning. Scotch Tape thought as the group crawled through the destroyed wall of the house.

“Yeah, well who’s looking out for us?” Conner asked in return.

Suddenly, multiple red bars appeared on the PipBuck. A T-99 and several soldiers entered the area.

Jacob quickly pulled the filly to cover.

“Hold your fire. A tank. Stay out of sight until it passes.” Conner ordered.

“There’s a whole squad out there.” Rianna had counted the soldiers.

“I don’t think they saw us. Hold position, nobody move.”

Scotch looked nervously on the display, seeing how the red bars slowly moved away.

“Wait for it. Wait for it. On my mark…Now! Go!” They sprinted across the street.

“We clear.” Rianna was relieved as the child saw another newspaper to the left of a blue house.

GKR Peacekeeping mission in Nigeria a success

10/3/2023

Representatives from the Greater Korean Republic and the United Nations monitored the first democratic elections in Nigeria since the start of ethnic strife last year, with both groups declaring the process a "success." The GKR intervened late last year after civil war marred the Nigerian landscape and widespread ethnic violence led to what is now officially recognized as a genocide, resulting in the death of nearly 300,000 people.

Ambassadors and officials around the world are lauding the KPA's intervention as a "true peacekeeping mission" and "a selfless act of humanitarianism." Along with aid missions to Sri

Lanka and relief efforts in Cuba following last year's devastating hurricanes, what was formerly international suspicion of the Greater Korean Republic appears to be transforming into a more positive opinion.

The GKR has also offered on several occasions in the last two years to help the United States with material and military support, but the US has flatly rejected all offers of aid from outside North America. Although the situation in the US has begun to stabilize, many are questioning what place the former superpower has, if any, in a world now led by East Asia.

I don’t think that was a real peacekeeper mission. The child disagreed.

“Some shortcuts.” The woman tore her out of it.

“Look, I didn’t expect them to send the entire Army after us.”

“What did you expect? You kicked the hornet’s nest!”

“I read your file, Jacobs. You’d better live up to it.” Conner checked a house before they moved in. In the house that had seen better days, were, you guessed it, two more newspapers for the foal to read.

Aircraft carriers decommissioned, navy to downsize

9/2/2015

The aircraft carrier USS John C Stennis joined the USS Theodore Roosevelt as being the second ship of its type to be decommissioned this year. Part of a broad goal on the part of the military to downsize and re-focus its efforts on fourth generation warfare, large capital ships have become to be regarded as redundant, expensive and inflexible. A brief, but moving ceremony accompanied the handoff from the Captain of the ship to the shipyard commander at Puget Sound.

The USS John C Stennis was contracted in 1988 and commissioned in 1995. The Carrier has participated in operations all around the globe including exercises in the Persian Gulf, and with the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force and the Republic of Korea. The last two years have seen a series of announcements regarding the re-focusing of the military's priorities, as combat trends towards a more agile, "digital" army of the future.

Global Economy Bites Back

8/27/2014

The continuing decline of the global economy is visible everywhere. In Elizabeth, New Jersey, container ships arrive less frequently, only partially filled or sometimes not at all.

In Singapore those same containers, once destined for the US and other ports, lie empty in massive stacks near once bustling ports. And all over the United States, people wait in lines for supplies that were once plentiful and easy to come by. In some areas, nerves are beginning to fray as tensions grow.

A riot broke out at a Wal Mart outside of Phoenix on Tuesday after supplies failed to arrive on schedule. An unthinkable circumstances only two years ago, consumers were forced to wait in lines as long as 8 hours in the hot sun for simple goods that never arrives. "Is it so hard to get asthma medicine from one warehouse to another?" asked Janet Evans, a former legal assistant and mother of two. "I desperately need this medicine for my son, who suffers from uncontrollable asthma attacks. The whole time I stood in that line I was worried sick that he might be having an attack."


Representatives from Wal Mart did not respond to inquiries about their supply chain, save for a generic press release that described their shipping and supply chain as the "envy of the developed world".

I don’t want to imagine how hard it must been for Kate and her family to survive.

Jacobs tapped her on the shoulder as Rianna replied, “Ease up, Conner. Boone picked him for a reason.”

“A pilot with Combat experience? I’m sure we could’ve found one that didn’t involve getting chased by a tank.”

Leaving the house, the group reached a tree house. “Jacobs, get up there and cover us. And keep the child safe.”

“Will do, Conner.” He helped her up.

The treehouse offered a perfect view of the area. A crashed plane was in the middle, having fallen out of the sky due the EMP back then.

“Sit tight! We’re coming over the fence!” Rianna warned.

Scotch Tape saw a squad of the Occupational Police Force moving in, soldiers rappelled down from a Black Hawk to support them.

Jacob started to pick off targets. “Incoming!” Rianna shouted as the helicopter fired a missile at the treehouse.

The former Marine pilot clenched the green filly protectively as the tree collapsed, both grunted in pain as they hit the ground hard. “You okay?”

“I’m fine, Jacobs.” Scotch was still dazed from the impact. She stayed in cover, leaving the shooting to the humans. I really, really pray that Chung and Chang aren’t along them.

After the area was clear, they moved through the wreck. Getting out, a hizzing sound ringed in Scotch Tape's ears, the young pony was almost hit by a bullet, hadn’t Rianna pulled her back.

“Machine Gun! Second Floor window!” Conner pointed the KPA LMG gunner with a M249 SAW LMG.

“I got him in my sight!” Jacob took him out with a well-aimed shot.

But as the gunner was down, a big red bar appeared on the pony’s PipBuck, as a Korean LAV-25 broke through the fence. It fired but missed, yet caused Scotch’s vision to be blurry and her ears ringed for a few seconds.

“APC! Get out of the yard!” Conner shouted.

Rianna held the filly down. “Get down! That cannon will tear you apart!”

They moved to the left using debris as cover. Jacobs climbed into the house the MG gunner was in and threw C4 he found in it, on the LAV. Pressing the detonator, the APC exploded, a smoking wreck remained.

“Outstanding!” Conner commented before they moved through the neighborhood.

“Revere Road is through these yards.”

“It’s strange that people live so close to the wreckage.” Rianna found it strange.

“Stranger still they aren’t out here helping us.” Conner countered. “The EMP must’ve fried their balls, too. You’d think seeing a plane fall out of the sky woulda put guns into their hands.”

“Maybe they’re not ready to fight! The KPA doesn’t bother these people. They’re just trying to live their lives, just like my friend Kate. Besides, Boone gave you an order.”

“Boone’s not here! We’re gonna do whatever it takes to stay alive.”

Scotch Tape had stopped to read some more newspapers she had found.

Violence and Protest sweeps China as manufacturing jobs disappear

5/18/2012

Workers at a Taiwanese facility near Beijing clashed with authorities on Thursday, resulting in one dead and fifty injured. The protest comes after a wave of firings resulting from the falling demand for Chinese-made goods. The year has seen a loss of 15% of jobs in the manufacturing sector in China thus far, and many experts suspect that the trend will continue.

China's primary market for exports has changed radically in the last few years, said Arthur Brooks, an analyst for Morgan Stanley. "Consumers in the United States no longer seem interested in purchasing luxury goods from labels like a Gucci and Louis Vuitton. Even mainstays like personal electronic devices have seen a pronounced dip in sales."

Many expect the trend to continue as the recent crash in the housing market continues to ravage the American economy. "We're not talking about 'green shoots' anymore," said Brooks. "I think everyone has started to become a lot more pragmatic. Many are now trying to guess where the bottom is and what we do when we get there."

US Infrastructure crumbles as debt become unmanageable, tax revenues decline

6/21/2017

In the middle of the 20th century, Route 66 was considered the crown jewel of the United States' transcontinental highway system. Once called the "Main Street of America," it's now a barely navigable stretch of treacherous potholes and dangerously deteriorating bridges.

It's no surprise either: at more than a million dollars a mile, many highways and superhighways are simply too expensive for Federal and State Governments to maintain and repair.

Other parts of the national infrastructure are starting to crumble and collapse as well. Much of the Northeast has been crippled by intermittent blackouts as portions of the energy grid prove to be unstable and interconnected. While the National Guard has been deployed to help repair the aging systems, there are lengthy waits for replacement parts.

Governments around the world have seen a sharp decline in tax revenues as global trade cools off. Faced with an almost insurmountable debt, many policy makers are being forced to slash the budgets of even essential services.

Must been difficult for them. They made their own wasteland so to speak.

American gas prices rise to record highs as Great Arab War escalates

9/18/2016

Rising demand from across the globe, coupled with instability in the Persian Gulf region, have caused gas prices in the US to sky rocket. Up 79.1 cents from last month and up three dollars from this time last year, the week's average gas price in Southern California was at $12.61 for regular, $12.81 for premium and $12.77 for diesel. "Markets are incredibly vulnerable to a variety of influences at the point," said Chris Winters, manager of the Consumers Network Gas Tracker. "It's difficult to predict how the market is going to react to further pressures." Winters went on to say that although May is typically the month with the highest gas prices during the year, the political situation in the Gulf could throw standard calculation and expectations out the window. The state government has reacted to the situation by implementing a rationing system, the details of which will be announced this coming Tuesday. It is expected to focus on interstate shipping with an emphasis on food and medicine, and to discourage using gasoline for personal transportation.

Makes me wonder if Kate had a car before this.

Japanese capitulates to Korean occupation

4/7/2018

Reeling from the shock of the destruction of one of its largest nuclear power plants and the subsequent fallout ravaging much of their southern coast, Japan capitulated to Korean control on Thursday. The Japanese Diet passed an emergency measure on Wednesday night as Korean troops moved towards Tokyo, acceding to all of Kim Jong-un's demands. A spokesman for the Korean Department of Defense stated that "the government of Korea has no interest in further violence," and "applauded the Japanese government in its swift decision to surrender." Korean officials stated that their goal was to prevent further violence against Korean citizens, and that every effort would be made to create a smooth transition.

Sounds more like forced to me.

The group came to a man, wearing blue clothes and a bulletproof vest with the inscription „Colorado State Police” calming angry civilians down. That vest and blue clothing reminded Scotch Tape of Blackjack.

“Goddamn Resistance, what’re you doing here? We’re a peaceful community.” One of the angry citizens asked.

“There are families here, man. You can’t be bringing us this kind of trouble.” Another one added.

“Everyone calm down. As soon as the others get here we’ll move on. I’m sure they weren’t followed. We’re leaving. But you should get inside. Let’s not attract attention.” The civilians leaved and the man turned to Conner.

“Goddammit, Conner. I said don’t come here, you risk starting a shit-storm right where these people live.”

“We had nowhere else to go. The area’s crawling with KPA.”

“We supposed to be fighting for those people, not hiding behind them.” Rianna augmented with Conner.

“Who the…” Conner was interrupted by the man.

“That’s enough! Both of you! You must be the pilot. I'm Boone Karlson. I founded this cell. The U.S. military's gathering near San Francisco. They need fuel. We've got a plan to get it there. But we need you. And who is that?” Boone looked at Scotch Tape.

“That’s the child Rianna saved. A talking pony.” Conner explained.

“Name’s Scotch Tape.” She introduced herself.

The former state police officer opened his mouth to say something but a Korean Humvee stopped with screeching tires at the houses, opening fire on the civilians.

“Into the house! Now!” Boone equipped his M249 SAW LMG.

Bullets missed Scotch by inches as they entered the house to their left.

“Please don’t hurt my baby!” a single mother pleaded, the baby started to cry.

“That’s just what we needed.” Conner deadpanned.

“They’re pushing in!” Rianna fired at policemen that were about to storm the house.

“We’re on your side, ma’am! Just stay down! We’ll protect you!” Boone assured the mother as he returned fire, leaning against the wall for cover. “Defend the front of the house! We have to draw fire away from the civilians! Ma’am, we’ll get you out, I promise.”

Scotch Tape covered her ears as the crying was disturbing.

She, the mother, Jacob, Rianna and Conner used a counter for cover. The PipBuck was flashing red, waves of police forces attacked from all sides.

But the resistance held its ground. Jacobs gave the filly an assuring smile. “I’ll defend you with my life.” She returned it.

Grenades were thrown in. Gas poured out, Scotch Tape’s eyes watered and she coughed.

“Tears gas! They’re trying to flush us out!” Bonner helped the mother out, Jacobs carried Scotch Tape outside.

The two men got them behind a fence. “Hide back here. We’ll come and get you after everything settles down.” Boone promised.

But the young filly didn’t listen. For some reason, she felt safer with them, following them into another house. A fast red bar flashed on her PipBuck. Looking up, a machine that reminded her of a Pegasus Pony flew by very fast.

A resistance member got hit in the neck. “He’s been hit! I don’t know what to do!” Hopper yelled.

“Put pressure on it! Here!” Rianna aided Hopper. “Hopper! Where’s Goliath?”

“Out back…It’s out back. But the targeter’s in my back over there.”

“He’s bleeding to death!” Rianna shouted as Scotch Tape gave Jacobs the targeter and Goliath crashed through the wall.

“Listen. It’s a semi-autonomous combat drone. NAV and the 50. Cal are pseudo-intelligence. But the rockets are you. Just pick your targets and pull…”

“He’s gone. Let’s go.” The man had died. “Stay down.” Rianna was worried for the foal’s safety.

Jacobs used the controller and targeted the Humvee. Goliath drove outside and fired its rockets, destroying it.

While having seen many impressive machines in the wasteland, Scotch Tape had never seen a machine like this. Jacobs took more enemy vehicles out. If Equestria had such a machine during the Great War…

“That’s it! They’re falling back!” Conner shouted as the last KPA vehicle was destroyed. They got out on the street.

“We gotta get out of here now!” Boone warned as the flying machine performed a bombing run on the street, knocking Scotch Tape out. The last thing she heard were the echoing screams of the resistance members.

Author's Note:

Luceky the Resistance was here to save her. This chapter was based on the first level of the game with the same name. Scotch Tape's dream was based on a scene from the old game Star Trek: Borg