• Published 19th Jul 2017
  • 1,850 Views, 24 Comments

Welcome to Pony Vale - SuperCyclone



A new face appears in Ponyville, and he's a radio show host. But the residents start noticing something strange with his broadcasts. They're coming true! (Inspired by the podcast Welcome to Night Vale)

  • ...
2
 24
 1,850

10 - The Everfree Forest

“Huh, so this is a hayburger.”

“Do you like it?” Twilight asked as she finished eating her bite from the hayburger. The two sat across from each other as they were among the many content citizens eating.

“It’s better than I expected!” Cecil happily declared as he finished swallowing, leaving a bit of ketchup on his muzzle.

Twilight giggled as she saw Cecil’s muzzle covered in the sauce.

The dog tilted his head, smiling as he heard her cute laugh, “What?”

“You have a bit of ketchup on you, here.”

The lavender pony took a napkin with her magic and carefully wiped the ketchup off of her friend.

“There, much better!” The princess said as she put the napkin down.

“Hey, Twilight!”

Upon hearing a familiar voice, the pair turned to meet Rainbow Dash greeting them.

“Oh! Hello Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said as she sat down next to her, “what’s up?”

“Oh, nothing,” the pegasus said calmly, “just the greatest thing ever!”

Rainbow took a book from her satchel and showed her friend, “Ta-da! Daring Do: Rise of the Killer Forest!”

Twilight took a look at the book, completely flabbergasted, “No way, how do you have it!? It’s not supposed to come out for another three months!”

“Well, you know me! Yearling gave me this when I helped her out last week. Do you wanna read it together tonight?”

Twilight’s ears flopped down as she sighed, “I can’t, there is something I have to do with Cecil.”

The mare slumped down in her seat, “Aww! But I’ve been wanting to read this with you!”

“Actually, Twilight, if you want to read with Rainbow Dash you can.” Cecil said, but Twilight nodded.

“No, it’s fine. What we have to do is very important.”

Rainbow Dash then smirked to herself and said, “Oh really, are you sure you and Cecil are working? Or is that just a code for making out?”

The two quickly blushed as Twilight hit the cyan mare on the arm, “Rainbow Dash!”

The pegasus laughed uncontrollably until she calmed herself down, “Ouch! You know I’m only joking, Twi! If you do have something to do I won’t get in the way, what are you even doing?”

When the princess was able to stop blushing she took on a serious face.

“It’s something that I have yet to announce, but I need Cecil’s help for that when he goes on air tonight.”

Curious about what she was talking about, Cecil asked, “What would you like me to do, Twilight?”


Get the body you’ve always wanted. We know where it’s buried, and can lend you a shovel.

Welcome to Pony Vale.

Hello, wonderful listeners. Sweet wonderful listeners. I hope all of you are doing well tonight, or anytime really. Now, I’m sure all of you have noticed the Everfree Forest on the far side of Pony Vale; however, more noticeable is its change in color. The forest is now painted in red and orange leaves and white tree trunks. Those skeptical about this sudden change in color believe that fall just arrived early. This is not the case. The Cloudsdale Weather Factory denies that they have bumped up Fall two months early.

“Why do you keep bothering us about this?” A spokesstallion said to one of our interns.

“If we wanted fall to come early we wouldn’t have told you about it. We don’t have to tell you anything. In fact, there’s many things you don’t know about us. For example when fillies don’t pass their flying exam we...”

He then paused for a moment and chuckled a bit before taking a sip of his StarBucks.

“Oh never mind, it’s not important. But be sure to mark you’re calendars for this upcoming Monday. There will be a giant rainbow hovering above Canterlot, the sight will be to die for.”

He then cartwheeled into the factory right after devouring the intern in one bite. While we don’t know more about the forest and it’s sudden change in color, I will send in Intern Medley to find out more about this forest. Which reminds me listeners, we have a new intern here at Pony Vale Community Radio, and her name is Soft Spot. Come on over here, Soft Spot!

“Hello every pony!”

Now, Soft Spot has been wonderful here and has worked really hard to make sure that the creatures from the basement don’t devour our staff.

“Well we wouldn’t want that, it’s the least I could do.”

She, unlike my other interns, has come to work here for just the experience of working at a radio station, and I truly admire that.

“Aww, thank you. I do need the experience. I NEED it.”

Of course! Now, if any pony needs a job to pay off community service hours, pay for school or housing, or are just bored and lonely in this ball floating in an endless black void, then Pony Vale Community Radio is the job for you!

“Thank you for having me on, Cecil. Now if you’ll excuse me I have some beavers to catch in the lounge.”

No problem, Soft Spot! You’re doing great!

Now, on other news. The Pony Vale Friendship School District has announced that school will be canceled for all of next week, because nothing really matters.

“How can we study anything like math, science, english, or history when the void has swallowed us already? We are constantly crushed by the thought that we are alone in this universe, and it’s just no good anymore.” A Schoolboard member, Cheerilee, said chewing on a pile of rocks and sand.

Many parents, of course, are upset at the School’s decision to cancel School. PTA member, Roseluck is against this current development.

“We cannot let our future generation fall behind because of the large and endless darkness that is the void! The fact that we have to close our schools because of the sky is ridiculous!” Roseluck spoke out boldly in front of the school.

She looked up at the sky proudly and pointed saying, “See, I’m looking at the sky right now, and I’m saying, ‘you can’t hold me back sky!’ I can do any...I can...I...”

Roseluck then slowly looked downward and sighed, “Everything is meaningless and we shouldn’t be here right now. We should be something else. Something more. Yes, something better.”

She looked back up at the sky, and a single noticeable tear fell from her face. Then she whispered something about trees having the right idea.

So I guess spend this week right, fillies and young colts of Pony Vale. Go out and have fun, but not between the hours of 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM. That’s when Zecora comes to try to warn us about an impending doom, and how something drastic has changed in Pony Vale. She claims to have seen past our world and into another where we are drastically changed, but the same within. And that there’s not much time left. What a jerk that zebra is.

Now back to the news about the Everfree Forest. I have just gotten word that Intern Medley successfully made it into the forest. She reported that as soon as she walked into a clear opening, she felt strangely calm. Peaceful. And as she was about to leave, a voice spoke out to her.

“Hello, Sprinkle Melody. How are you today?”

She quickly turned around and was shocked to hear a voice out in the middle of the Everfree. The voice was described as genderless but kind-hearted.

“It’s nice to meet you, is that sweater new? You look lovely today.”

And indeed, listeners, Sprinkle Melody’s sweater is looking lovely. She had just gone to Carousel Boutique and bought a lovely pink sweater by Rarity herself. Not only has the sweater brought out her fur color, but has also sealed the demons that she has had trapped in her basement back home. Rarity is truly a genius.

As I was saying, the forest seems to be quite polite. I don’t understand why Twilight told me it was dangerous. I mean, I know she has just started researching the weird on goings of Pony Vale-Oh, the princess has now taken up the job as Pony Vale’s head scientist! I almost forgot about this announcement. She told me at lunch today while at the Hay Burger. She wanted to announce this herself, however she is occupied with studying the events happing at the Everfree Forest today. So I will be making the announcement for her.

(Clears throat)

Dear citizens of Ponyville, huh she spelled it wrong again. Anyways, to Pony Vale, I Twilight Sparkle will take up the job as Head Scientist in order to figure out the strange occurrences happening to our community. I promise that I will get to the bottom of this and figure out what is causing these strange anomalies to happen. Thank you, for stepping up, Twilight!

It is quite fascinating to see her at work, she even showed me her new lab. Full of books on physics, geology, arcane magic, and Equestrian history. What a remarkable mare; her eyes, her alluring purple eyes which seem to glow even in the darkest of days. Her teeth aligned like a royal cemetery. And her mane...Oh! Sorry dear listeners, I seemed to have gotten side tracked just now. Yep, Station Management doesn’t seem too happy with my ramblings. I’m being told that they are frothing from their many mouths and writing on the walls saying, “It started with a book, it’ll end by a book.” So I’ll just continue on with the news.

So yeah, go and see nature for yourself, the forest sounds lovely.

(Sudden Static)

Oh DEar! I ApoLoGIZe, liSTeNeRS. wE sEEm To be EXPerieNCinG THE follOWinG TECHNical prObLeMS: THE NEED FOR AIR, eye mOVemENT, aND GOOEY stUFf InsIde. PLeAse, STAND BY-

(Static Fixed)

Thank you, these problems have been corrected.

And now let’s have a look at traffic:

The black ink, the black ink,
The empty canvas, for all to see,
The artist is in the right mind,
Filling their cup of tea,
The artist is happy, the artist is glad,
Yet you took it all away for your own needs, how sad,
How greedy,
How corrupt,
How vile,
How evil,
How...human...

This has been, traffic.

Umm, dear listeners. It appears there is trouble at the Everfree Forest! It seems the forest has begun to attack the many nature goers and journalists who went to enjoy nature. Intern Melody was the first to be attacked. While we get the situation sorted out, let me take you, to the weather.

So listeners, I have some good news...and bad news from the Everfree Forest. The bad news is that Intern Sprinkle Melody, as we knew her, is lost forever. As well as the first responders, concerned citizens, and curious nature lovers who went to go see the forest today. To the family of Melody, let me just say that I am terribly sorry for your lose. She was...a good intern, and she will be missed. The good news is that none of those we lost today are technically...dead.

According our new head scientist, Princess Twilight Sparkle, the Everfree Forest is a place where we can all plant our hooves into the wet soil. Our hooves slowly growing into the black dirt, spiraling and twisting into each other, into everything. Together. Forever.

Now I thought this was a beautiful statement by her highness, and quite a relief that we have actually not lost anyone today. Our loved ones have just become one with the earth, one with nature, one with the universe in its glorious vastness. And trees, if you think about it, can live for a really long time. Except I’m not sure how long. I had a hamster when I was young and it died in like two weeks, so who knows. Maybe they will be here after our death, and meet our offspring. And they will only be a mark of what was once here. So rest easy tonight Pony Vale, knowing that those we love will be with us, even after death when we return to the soil of the earth. Then, and only then, will we be truly together again.

Coming up next, the sound of a rapidly beating heart. Goodnight, Pony Vale. Goodnight.


“So, how much information have you gotten so far, Twilight?” Cecil stood behind the lavender princess as she examined the whiteboard in front of her.

“Not much really. I’m stuck with where all of this began.” She sighed and rolled the temples of head. “I mean, it’s not strange for abnormalities to show up in Ponyville. But something feels off this time, like there’s something greater behind all this.”

As Twilight looked back at her research Cecil noticed Twilight’s change in appearance. As normal as it was for ponies to not wear clothing, Twilight had taken up a plain white lab coat with a set of pens in her left breast pocket. He also took a liking to her new mane style which was tied in a short pony tail that gave her extra breathing room. Not to mention the glasses she wore which enhanced the beautiful magenta eyes she had. He quickly got out of his trance as the princess turned to him.

“I’m sorry if this seems boring or weird to you-“

“No, no, no!” Cecil interrupted as he waved his paws, “It’s actually rather interesting. I love science as well! Which makes me a scientist too I guess!”

The new head scientist only giggled in his response and turned her attention to him.

“Hey, Cecil?”

“Yes, Twilight? What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing! Nothing at all! I just wanted to say...thank you, for coming to help me through this. I’m a lot more level headed than where I was a couple weeks ago. I say weeks because I’m not sure if that’s actually how long it’s been, time has also shifted here. As I was saying, thank you, Cecil.”

The radio host just smiled at her, and gave the princess a reassuring nod.

“It’s my pleasure, Twilight. You were the first one to welcome me here when I had first arrived. Even when I was different from the others here, you still accepted me. I should be thanking you.”

The princess was touched by his words and walked up to him, hugging the dog. Cecil, first in shock at the alicorn’s sudden action, hugged her back.

“I’m glad I was able to have met you, Cecil.”

“You as well, Twilight Sparkle.”

Author's Note:

First of all, I’m terribly sorry for not updating in over a year. This is due to personal problems happening in my life for the last year, but I hope you can understand. Anyways, I would like to thank the7Saviors for becoming an intern here: Soft Spot! Thank you once again for reading and I’ll see you in the next one. Now for today’s Proverb:

"A bar walks into a bar. The bartender is a snake eating its own tail. The windows look out only onto the face of the one who looks."
-Some pony we captured